Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   Miss Grimes flicked her stick to the right and struck the package, bending down to retrieve it. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Pike, I have it." she smiled picking up the package and feeling it over for tears. "I hope none of it is peeping out, it is some undergarments and an old dress that needed repairs. I can sew but it's a laborious process for me, and we will be on our way to Kalispell tomorrow."   She managed to bundle up everything in one arm, packages, stick, and stuck out the other to somewhere near Emeline again.   "Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Connolly at the Diner."   @Bongo 
    • "Oh..."  Emeline gasped as the girl dropped her package, and started to bend down to get it, but then hesitated, wondering if perhaps she even wanted help, or might feel insulted at the offer, that it would imply that she couldn't do for herself.   "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   @Javia        
    • He took Frances' hand and gently shook it, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Grimes."   "And you, Mr. Simons." she smiled sweetly.   "If you are interested in joining the ladies group my aunt Rebecca Wentworth will be running, I can get her to send you an invitation or she can personally come to see you."   "Oh, that sounds wonderful, I shall have to see if, er..." stammered the blind girl, and Crabbe could guess why.    "And it doesn't cost anything to join, does it, Ben?" Lorenzo put in.   "It sounds absolutely wonderful Mr. Simons" said Frances, now much more firmly "Please, just an invitation, I mean, just knowing when and when your Aunt would be holding the meetings would be all I need. I shall find it with no problem. What a kind thought, thank you, Mr. Simons."   At the sound of Ben munching, she decided that she had probably outstayed her welcome at his tableside and said "I shall leave you to your repast, Mr Simons, thank you again."   @JulieS    
    • "First off, proper grammar, it is 'like a blind person' not people," Clara pointed out , "And secondly we are here in this kitchen to cook proper meals for paying customers. That is a responsibility I take most seriously. Kindly be more....adult."   "Ain't it funny, Clara, I'm always makin' mistakes like that when I talk in my regular voice, but when I do 'personations of folk, I can speak right if I needs to. Listen to this:..." the gangly, scruffy teenager suddenly stood up ramrod straight at the frying pan and repositioned the spachelor in her hand like she was holding a dainty quill, then started to speak in a refined, maybe even pretentious voice, very unlike her own, with no trace of a southern accent:   "Arabella, would you please desist from precipitating those most distastful and less that utilitarian anecdotal confabulations. I find them most distressing!" All right, the words might not make sense, but anyone who knew Clara would have recognised the rhythm and tone of her voice.   @Wayfarer
    • "There ain't no 'we', Ara, this is between me n' the cowpoke here. You did not knock and I did not say you could come in," Caroline now pointed out as calmly as she could.   "I know..." replied Arabella sadly "An' I know I promised to do all them things but..." she shook her head a little "when I heard all them terrible horrible rotten things what happened to you, I was just so shocked and sad and angry that some low down bastard could do that to my sweet, pretty, lovely little Caroline, I just... well my soul kinda flew out to you, and my big ol' feet foller'd right along behind it."   She reached across and hugged her again and kissed her on top of her head again. Brendan then put in his two cents' worth.   From there, he looked down at Caroline. "Hey. What I was tryin' to say...goin' to say...is that...I understand."   "Good ta know, hon. Just wait a minute and we can continue this conversation once Ara leaves the room, shuts the door, and assures me she won't be listening in anymore. Got that?" Caroline eyed the teenager.   Arabella nodded compliantly enough, but then twisted in the bed so she was face to face with Brendan, whom she stared straight in the eye.   "But before I go, Brendan Connolly, you gotta tell me that you forgive me for all them silly things I said before and all them silly things I did cause even Caroline's forgiven me and she's the one I did and said them things to and we gettin' on all right now and I found out some stuff which made me change and I'm a better person now and it just ain't fair that you're still treatin' me so mean and, and..." she gulped down a sob and a lone tear appeared in the corner of her eye.   "... I really want you to be my friend again..." she wiped away the tear "... please."   @Bailey @Wayfarer
Adelaide Chappel

On the Street Where You Live

Mature Content: No?

With: Jay Ryker
When: May/Late/ 1875
Time of Day: Late Morning

content-divider.png

Taking advantage of a 'day off', Addy was working on one of the myriad of projects that needed doing on her new house.  And there was a lot!  Roofing, holes in walls, holes in the front porch, rickety railings on the stairs, painting...and she had promised Weedy that he could do the painting, something he had begged her to let him do, and she suspected he was going to ask Wyatt to help, and that he thought it sounded like 'fun'.

So, there was no painting today, and the most important project, to her thinking, was to make sure that the front porch and steps were safe, and that no one was going to fall through. 

Since just after dawn, she'd been working with hammer and saw, reinforcing the frame, then replacing boards before moving on to the railings.  She'd been at it for a few hours when she finally stopped for a short break, sitting on the steps that she'd just rebuilt.  The water she was sipping was welcome...it wasn't particularly hot today, but she was still coated in dirt that was streaked by sweat, her hair was tangled and matter with cobwebs in its braid, and she was looking forward to a bath later in the day, once the work was done.

But for now, she was catching her breath, looking out past her yard, her little white picket fence, and at the street where her house was!

@Jack

• Like 1

It was time to pay the most important person in town a visit. She'd been toiling away at her new home for a while now and whenever he could Jay would come over and help her after he was finished with his tasks.

Today he brought her a jug of nice cool water with slices of apple and some herbs in it.

He pushed the fence open with his boot and spotted her on the stairs of her new old house.

"Hey there."He greeted and held the jug out to her.

"Fancy a drink?"

She looked flushed but she already had a glas of water so he set his jug aside. "Oh, you already have something. Mine's cold, though."

He then moved to sit next to her, briefly looked out at the street to see if anyone was nearby, and then kissed her on the cheek.

"You've done a good job with the porch. I can help you finish it tonight."

Addy's grin widened as she heard Jay's voice and looked up, watching him come in the gate, dreaming of the day she could just grab him in public and plant kisses all over his face, then drag him into the house and have her way with him, without fear of causing a scandal!

"Cold water sounds right good."  Upending her cup, she tossed out the tepid contents, then held it to him, frowning a bit as she saw that there was something in the pitcher.  "What's that?  Ya tryin' ta poison me?"

Laughing, she kissed him on the cheek, then nodded.  "I'd be right grateful fer some help, there's some things that take two hands."

Grinning, she leaned close and whispered in his ear, "Some things involve hands all over th' place, grippin' an' feelin'."  But, leaning back, she added, "But Weedy's here..."

@Jack

Jay wished he could kiss her. Especially when she started talking about hands in indecent places. Neddless to say that caused a reaction. Jay was so in love with her but he respected her wish to hide their feelings for a while.

"What do you need help with....that requires four hands?"

He whispered back. "I've got more than just some hands to offer."

Jay took her cup and filled some water in it, then had a drink himself.

He stood up and looked around. The sun was beating down on them, causing his skin to turn red already.

"I'll cut off pieces of wood for the reiling."

He set to work, sawing and filing the ends to get a dozen nice even pieces of the same length.

Then he unbuttoned his shirt and took it off since he was still wearing an undershirt.

Addy sighed as she took the water from Jay and sipped it slowly, wishing that things could be different, that they could marry and actually live together, free to, well, live together and not have to go their separate ways at the end of the day. 

Finally, she stood and went over to where he was sawing the pieces of wood for the railings.  "Once this railin's done, then just one day I gotta paint th' outside, but that can wait."  She grinned, grabbing a bucket of nails and a hammer.  "Never did think I'd have a proper house, but then, never did think I'd have th' beginnin's of a family."

All they needed now was the dad...

@Jack

For a moment he paused but didn't look at her. Addy had been saying these things about 'family', marriage and all that. He could clearly tell that she was hoping he'd propose but Jay still wasn't sure whether he should.

He loved her and she loved him and clearly she was the best thing to ever happen to him. But he was still a criminal. Only one thing had changed- the sherif knew.

"I have to tell you something."

He waited for her to stop, then made sure noone was listening.

"The sheriff knows..about my past."

"I have to tell you something."

So, here it came, his excuses, his reasons, but bottom line, he was leaving.  'Things is all good here, I love you, I like Weddy an' th' town an' all, but it's best fer everyone that I just head on ta other things.'

Well, Addy could just as well do without him, she'd shrug it off and carry on, tell Weedy something that wouldn't sting the lad and make him feel like yet another adult had abandoned him.  Served her right, though, for letting down her guard and letting someone close to her heart...

"The sheriff knows..about my past."

That was unexpected!  Addy glanced at him with a frown, wondering just exactly what that meant?  After all, if Speed had seen him, surely he'd be in the hoosegow now, right?  And it confirmed her suspicion that he was moving on...running.

"He knows?"  She looked over at him and sighed.  "So, when ya leavin'...can't stay on my account, I'd rather ya just light on out than end up in prison...or at th' end of a rope."  She shrugged.  "He seen ya since ya found out he found out?  We could always help him have a 'accident', put him out in one'a th' pastures where noone'd ever find him." 

She wasn't exactly suggesting murder, but it would be a good way to eliminate the threat!

@Jack

Jay's jaw literally dropped. The lengths she'd go to to keep him around. Suggesting murdering the sheriff?

You can't be serious? Are you suggesting to shoot the sheriff?

If it wasn't such a crazy thought he would have laughed.

I can't believe you just said that. I've never killed anyone in cold blood and I won't start but gladly we don't have to.

It actually took him a moment to get over what she'd suggested.

He said he knows but that I've profen that I'm bettering myself and have redeemed myself so I'm safe as long as he's the sheriff.

I can't believe you just said that. I've never killed anyone in cold blood and I won't start but gladly we don't have to.

"No, 'course, I didn't mean that," Addy sighed, shaking her head.  She was just trying to imagine that there was a way out of this mess, with a happy ending.  "I like him too much ta do that," she added with a chuckle, not that she was feeling merry at the moment.

He said he knows but that I've proven that I'm bettering myself and have redeemed myself so I'm safe as long as he's the sheriff.[/b]

"An' what's that supposed ta mean?"  Her freckled nose wrinkled up in a frown.  "So, ya don't gotta worry 'bout bein' arrested or nothin'?"  But what did that mean if he left the town?  Of course, no one was likely to know who he was, so really, the only danger to Jay now was Speed, and Speed wasn't.

"So...that mean yer stayin'?"  As much as she wanted to grab onto him and hold him for all she was worth, Addy was trying to keep her distance and keep herself protected.

@Jack

"Good, cause I wouldn't want you to become a criminal when I'm trying to do better." He confirmed and gave her a stern look.

When she asked about the future, he shrugged. "I think so. As long as noone is stirring up anything and the sheriff has a say here, I'm not getting arrested...I mean unless I commit a crime here but I'm not going to do that. So yeah. It means I'm staying. There is no other place I'd be safer."

Of course that also meant that he could possibly marry her. There was always some danger of another sheriff coming about but for now things seemed good.

Addy sighed and nodded, combing her fingers through her hair.  "Good."  She wasn't sure how good.  Sure, part of her was doing happy flip-flops that he was going to stick around, and that he was 'safe' here and she'd get to see him, but another part of her thought that it would be so much easier if he rode away and she could put the uncertainty aside and go back to the way it was.

But deep in her heart, she wanted him in her life, however that had to be, and at least now they didn't have to worry about what would happen if the law found out about him.

"Speed Guyer's a good man, a friend," she muttered, then she sighed again and leaned her head on his shoulder.  "I'm glad yer stayin'."

@Jack

"Yes, it looks like we might have a future together after all." He wasn't going to make any promises just yet but recently things had been looking much better for them. Jay wanted nothing more but he didn't want it under shaky circumstances.

He gave her a quick peck on the cheek and then got moving again.

"So what can I help you with here?"

He would rather not discuss any further details of their relationship but just show her, he was there for her andwilling to help.

F. Falmer Browne had spotted his new neighbor, alone, working outside on the steps of her own house in the hot sun a few minutes previously and had immediately bidden Mrs O’Houlighan rustle up a large jug of iced lemonade for Miss Adeline’s refreshment. The good lady loaded him up with the tempting refreshment and two glasses on his own doorstep on a large teak tray, and he had watched his feet carefully as he walked down his own steps and then turned to present himself to the dazzling beauty of the wagons.

He looked up as he approached, only to see the horribly unwelcome presence of some other man! Ughh! He cursed his luck, but it was too late to turn back now. He must strive manfully on. Curses, the dreadful fellow was kissing her now in a most familiar manner!

Was he talking to him or her?!

“Oh, how do you do! My name is F. Falmer Browne, Miss Chappel’s neighbor. I have just brought over some…” he noticed the water already in place next to Addy on the steps.

“… lemonade!” He felt a bit crestfallen that she had been already supplied with a nice drink, but then added quickly “and it has ice and slices of fresh lemon in it!” The other man’s offering only had bits of (slightly worm eaten) apple in it, plus some disreputable looking particles of some weed or other, he felt that his offering was somewhat superior.

@Bongo @Jack

"Yes, it looks like we might have a future together after all."

Addy nodded, content for that to be enough for now, for a 'future' was better than nothing, and she was determined that there would be a future.

"Git this railing finished, then folks can use th' porch without risk'a fallin' through!"  Grinning, Addy stood just as her neighbor came into the yard, bearing a tray of drink.

"Afternoon!"

“Oh, how do you do! My name is F. Falmer Browne, Miss Chappel’s neighbor. I have just brought over some…” he noticed the water already in place next to Addy on the steps.

“… lemonade!” He felt a bit crestfallen that she had been already supplied with a nice drink, but then added quickly “and it has ice and slices of fresh lemon in it!”

"That's right kindly of ya."  It was nice to have good, thoughtful neighbors, and after a bit of refreshment...the water had been good, and she wasn't particularly thirsty at the moment, but it wouldn't be polite to turn down the obvious effort to be neighborly. 

Taking a pristine, tall glass , she poured lemonade into it, then gave F. Falmer a kiss on the cheek.  After taking a good swig of the tart sweetness, she smiled widely and nodded.  "This is real good!  Here!" she handed the glass to Jay, "try some!  Say, Mr. Grizzly, ya know how ta paint?  We could use some help here."

@Jack; @Javia

• Wow! 1
  • Thanks 1

The mans appearance was noted without concern at first. That changed when he suddenly started a competition with a better, sweeter, cooler drink. Jay shook his hand but didn't smile. 

Was the man being a friendly neighbor or was he trying to impress Addy a little too hard? 

Jay hadn't decides until his love had a drink, smiled like she'd just seen Santa Clause and then had the audacity to kiss the neighbor.

Jays gaze darkened considerably before he gave her the eye.

"I really don't think we need any help, Addy."

To the man he added.

"Thanks for your neighborly offer of a drink. Feel free to return to your own duties now." 

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Posted (edited)

Taking a pristine, tall glass , she poured lemonade into it, then gave F. Falmer a kiss on the cheek.

"Oh, I..er..." Falmer Browne giggled like a shy schoolgirl, clearly pleased at the attention the beautiful Miss Chappel paid him.

After taking a good swig of the tart sweetness, she smiled widely and nodded.  "This is real good! Here!" she handed the glass to Jay, "try some!  Say, Mr. Grizzly, ya know how ta paint?  We could use some help here."

"Oh, well, I have dabbled in watercolours before now..." mumbled the neighbour modestly "I daresay the principles are the same for painting gates..." he reached down for a brush, but Addy's friend's reception of his efforts to be neighbourly was as sour as the lemonade.

Jays gaze darkened considerably before he gave her the eye.

"I really don't think we need any help, Addy."

"Oh!" breathed Falmer Browne, brush poised in mid air, glancing to Addy in a way that said 'I'm talking to the organ grinder, not the monkey, thanks'.

To the man he added.

"Thanks for your neighborly offer of a drink. Feel free to return to your own duties now." 

"Duties?!" repeated the older man, looking somewhat affronted "I can assure you, Sir!, that as a gentleman,..." he said the word with emphasis, so as to underline that he didn't think that the term applied to Jay "... my only duties are those that pertain to offering help to Ladies in need of assistance!"

@Bongo @Jack

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

The rivalry went completely over Addy's head -- after all, the very idea of any man having interest in her was absurd, much the less two!  She was scruffy, wore britches most the time, could ride, spit and shoot as good as any man...what was there that they could possibly be 'fighting' over.

"Can't see as it'd hurt ta have Mr. Browne paintin' this part'a th' rail while we finish out th' other side."  She shrugged.  "Get th' job done by tanight, then we can run on over t' th' Lickskillet an' have us a proper supper!"

It sounded like a good plan to her!

@Jack; @Javia

• Thanks 1

It was very clear to Jay that he needed to stake his claims and this 'gentleman' here was intruding uninvited. At least by Jay. Addy on the contrary was naive enough to think this was all about painting. Or wasn't she? Did this older man in fancy clothes and a polite tongue promise more to her than Jay ever could with his few dollars and a shady past? 

Insecurity made him.grit his teeth.

He could not flat out throw the neighbor out without offending Adelaide.

So he said. "Very well, Mr. Browne. You paint here and we'll do the other side."

He briefly looked at Addy checking the way she drank her lemonade and the way she looked at Browne. Jay did not like this new development.

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Posted (edited)

So he said. "Very well, Mr. Browne. You paint here and we'll do the other side."

"Splendid!" beamed Falmer Browne, bowing slightly "All the better to gaze upon Miss Chappel's beauty!" he flirted with gentle grace. "I hope you don't make me miss my stroke, Miss Chappel!" he chuckled easily as Jay scowled at him.

He briefly looked at Addy checking the way she drank her lemonade and the way she looked at Browne. Jay did not like this new development.

"Pray, how is Master James recovering after his unfortunate incident with Monty? I do hope that he has not taken the accident to heart, I cannot reiterate enough how the affair was none of his fault. Oh well, give her her due, Jemima may be rather an odd girl, but I think her little prayer did help him come to terms a little with the matter..."

Browne babbled on to Addy, not looking at Jay, and pointedly picking a topic of conversation that he knew the Englishman would have difficulty joining in with: private jokes and little points of information that would freeze him out as coldly as the superior lemonade he had provided and conversationally 'sending him to Coventry'. 

"... I understand that Jemima has suggested the little fellow visit his Mother's grave in Whitefish..." the 'Professor' continued as he painted.

@Bongo @Jack

"Splendid!" beamed Falmer Browne, bowing slightly "All the better to gaze upon Miss Chappel's beauty!" he flirted with gentle grace. "I hope you don't make me miss my stroke, Miss Chappel!" he chuckled easily as Jay scowled at him.

"Hog-snoggles!"  Addy chuckled and roller her eyes.  "Ain't nothin' beautiful here 'cept them flowers."  Chuckling, she handed Browne a bowl of paint and a brush.

"Pray, how is Master James recovering after his unfortunate incident with Monty? I do hope that he has not taken the accident to heart, I cannot reiterate enough how the affair was none of his fault. Oh well, give her her due, Jemima may be rather an odd girl, but I think her little prayer did help him come to terms a little with the matter..."

"Long past, I'd say," Addy commented, grinning.  "Ya know how boys are, he's more worried now playin' pirates with his friend, Wyatt."  She was glad, at least, that the boy had a friend his own age, and of a good family, where he could learn things she couldn't teach him.

"... I understand that Jemima has suggested the little fellow visit his Mother's grave in Whitefish..." the 'Professor' continued as he painted.

"Yes, sir, that's so."  With a nod, she glanced at Jay.  "We're goin' out there in a day or so, try'n find th' grave.  Jay's makin' a marker fer her, so's folks'll know where she is."  It was a good thing he was doing for the boy, and by relation, for her as well.  "Sad thing, that th' woman seemed ta just be gettin' her life right, just ta have it snuffed out."

Didn't seem fair, but then, Addy couldn't help but be glad that at least there wasn't going to be any more inconsistency in Weedy's life.

@Jack; @Javia

• Love 1

Jay knew exactly what this man was doing and it didn't please him in the slightest. On the contrary. Just when things were ooking up for him, this unwanted over friendly grease ball was exchanging pleasantries with his love. Maybe he should have put a ring on her finger already.

He scowled at the comments and motioned for the paint brush. "Watch your stroke or you might ruin the beauty of this new home."

Silently he wondere what incident the man was referring to but didn't ask because he didn't want him to know that noone had told him. He could not know what Addy was to him, perhaps that she had offered him a roof over his head a while ago but no more.

It was his own fault and he should get angry at himself. Instead his eyes sparkled dangerously at the neighbor.

"Yes, my dear, I will be making a very fine marker." He confirmed calling her 'dear' for the first time out loud.

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Posted (edited)

"Yes, sir, that's so."  With a nod, she glanced at Jay.  "We're goin' out there in a day or so, try'n find th' grave.  Jay's makin' a marker fer her, so's folks'll know where she is."  

"Indeed!" nodded Falmer Browne. He looked over to Ryker and slowly said "That is very good." carefully annunciating his words, like he was talking to someone of limited intelligence.

It was a good thing he was doing for the boy, and by relation, for her as well.  "Sad thing, that th' woman seemed ta just be gettin' her life right, just ta have it snuffed out."

"Ah, indeed" sighed the next door neighbor "None of us knows when our lives may be unexpectedly cut short." He looked in Ryker's direction, hopefully.

He scowled at the comments and motioned for the paint brush. "Watch your stroke or you might ruin the beauty of this new home."

"With Miss Chappel in the frame, any picture would look beautiful!" Falmer Browne smiled, but that confounded Englishman brought the conversation immodestly back to his own contribution to the solemn journey to Whitefish.

"Yes, my dear, I will be making a very fine marker." He confirmed calling her 'dear' for the first time out loud.

"I am sure that you will do your best." replied Falmer Browne with faux-friendliness and, in the words of Alexander Pope, 'damning with faint praise'.

To Addy, he added. "I do hope that you and Master James have a stout gentleman to accompany you to the graveyard, Miss Chappel: it is my understanding that there are both hostile Indians abroad in the countryside and some rather unsavoury characters still about in Whitefish itself." 

Well, the old girl was only so dense, and she finally recognized the men's interaction for what it was.  She'd seen it often enough while drinking in saloons, and men started vying for the attention of one ladies.  She had observed in amusement, especially when the lady in question started playing them against each other for her own gain.  Addy had found it interesting and ugly at the same time.

It had taken her a bit to register that the men's antics were directed at her, and that puzzled her.  Why were they acting like that, unless...

"Jack Ryker, if ya got a problem with me havin' friends what are men, ya'd best leave now!" she declared, facing that particular victim.  "Ain't no cause fer it, an' if yer gonna git all gizzard up 'bout it, I ain't gonna stand fer it.  'Sides, just says ya don't trust me, an' I don't need that kinda grief!"

Did he not understand how difficult it had been for her to put aside all the walls and protections she'd built for herself, so she could finally admit that she loved someone?

"An' you..." now she turned on F. Falmer, "ya know I ain't available, so's I don't even know why yer fussin'."  She shrugged.  "An' here I thought you were bein' a friend, wantin' ta help 'cause yer...a friend." 

Men!  Who needed them?

"Ya'll work it out amidst yerselves!"  And she turned on her heel and stomped off for the barn...she needed time with critters that didn't look on her as some prize to be won in a shooting contest at the county fair!

@Jack; @Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Falmer treated him like an idiot but Jay was actually a well educated Englishman. Not that he looked the part. He was ready not to behave like a gentlemen anymore as insults kept rolling in.

"I will be accompanying the two." Jay clerified in a slightly threatening tone.

This man better back off quickly.

But then Addy changed the course of the conversation.

When she finally caught on to it, Addys reaction was very unexpected.

Fiest of all she called him Jack for reasins beyond his understanding and then more or less told him to get lost.

The only upside was her laying into the neighbor just as much. Had she really told him she wasn't available?

Jay was about to give the guy a look when she stomped off. Wow...what to do now?

The way she had talked to him just because another guy intruded on his territory made him angry.

"My name's Jay!"

He called after her.

When she didn't turn back he faced the unwanted guest instead.

"well done. You made her mad! What a great help you were. Trying to sweet talk her with you lemonade, handsome clothes and sleazy smile."

Edited by Jack (see edit history)
  • Wow! 1

Posted (edited)

"I will be accompanying the two." Jay clerified in a slightly threatening tone.

"Oh! How very reassuring for them both." Browne replied and gave a little smile as if he had said something very amusing which he, but not Jay, could understand. Ah! The self satisfied smile of sarcasm: the last refuge of the scoundrel!

But then Addy changed the course of the conversation.

"Jack Ryker, if ya got a problem with me havin' friends what are men, ya'd best leave now!" she declared, facing that particular victim.  "Ain't no cause fer it, an' if yer gonna git all gizzard up 'bout it, I ain't gonna stand fer it.  'Sides, just says ya don't trust me, an' I don't need that kinda grief!"

F. Falmer Browne lowered his brush and looked with mock pity on Jay, or Jack, or perhaps 'Jackass' Ryker as he received his well deserved (probably) dressing down by the fiery beauty of the Buckboard. He even allowed himself a sad, but self satisfied, shake of his head, as if to say 'poor fellow, he just doesn't know how to handle women!'

Then... she started on him!

"An' you..." now she turned on F. Falmer, "ya know I ain't available, so's I don't even know why yer fussin'."  She shrugged.  "An' here I thought you were bein' a friend, wantin' ta help 'cause yer...a friend." 

Browne gave a little squeak of shock and nearly dropped his brush. "I... I..." he stammered, quite taken aback as she stormed off.

The way she had talked to him just because another guy intruded on his territory made him angry.

"My name's Jay!"

Falmer Brown scratched his head and disagreed. "I rather believe that your name is mud at this point in time, and mine also! But by God, what a magnificent woman " 

He called after her.

When she didn't turn back he faced the unwanted guest instead.

Falmer Browne watched Miss Chappel stalk off with regret, wonderful sight though she was from all angles. "Oh dear, well, you made rather a mess of that, I'm afraid." said Browne with his usual mixture of pretend regret and secret satisfaction. 

"well done. You made her mad!"

"ME?!" blustered Browne, "I will have you know that I was helping!" He held up his paintbrush as if to prove it.

"What a great help you were. Trying to sweet talk her with you lemonade, handsome clothes and sleazy smile."

"Sleazy?!" repeated Browne, almost dropping his brush with injured dignity "How dare you, Sir! How dare you! You will take that back; you will take that back this instant... or suffer the consequences!"

Yes, this was fast becoming an affair of honour!!