Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   Miss Grimes flicked her stick to the right and struck the package, bending down to retrieve it. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Pike, I have it." she smiled picking up the package and feeling it over for tears. "I hope none of it is peeping out, it is some undergarments and an old dress that needed repairs. I can sew but it's a laborious process for me, and we will be on our way to Kalispell tomorrow."   She managed to bundle up everything in one arm, packages, stick, and stuck out the other to somewhere near Emeline again.   "Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Connolly at the Diner."   @Bongo 
    • "Oh..."  Emeline gasped as the girl dropped her package, and started to bend down to get it, but then hesitated, wondering if perhaps she even wanted help, or might feel insulted at the offer, that it would imply that she couldn't do for herself.   "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   @Javia        
    • He took Frances' hand and gently shook it, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Grimes."   "And you, Mr. Simons." she smiled sweetly.   "If you are interested in joining the ladies group my aunt Rebecca Wentworth will be running, I can get her to send you an invitation or she can personally come to see you."   "Oh, that sounds wonderful, I shall have to see if, er..." stammered the blind girl, and Crabbe could guess why.    "And it doesn't cost anything to join, does it, Ben?" Lorenzo put in.   "It sounds absolutely wonderful Mr. Simons" said Frances, now much more firmly "Please, just an invitation, I mean, just knowing when and when your Aunt would be holding the meetings would be all I need. I shall find it with no problem. What a kind thought, thank you, Mr. Simons."   At the sound of Ben munching, she decided that she had probably outstayed her welcome at his tableside and said "I shall leave you to your repast, Mr Simons, thank you again."   @JulieS    
    • "First off, proper grammar, it is 'like a blind person' not people," Clara pointed out , "And secondly we are here in this kitchen to cook proper meals for paying customers. That is a responsibility I take most seriously. Kindly be more....adult."   "Ain't it funny, Clara, I'm always makin' mistakes like that when I talk in my regular voice, but when I do 'personations of folk, I can speak right if I needs to. Listen to this:..." the gangly, scruffy teenager suddenly stood up ramrod straight at the frying pan and repositioned the spachelor in her hand like she was holding a dainty quill, then started to speak in a refined, maybe even pretentious voice, very unlike her own, with no trace of a southern accent:   "Arabella, would you please desist from precipitating those most distastful and less that utilitarian anecdotal confabulations. I find them most distressing!" All right, the words might not make sense, but anyone who knew Clara would have recognised the rhythm and tone of her voice.   @Wayfarer
    • "There ain't no 'we', Ara, this is between me n' the cowpoke here. You did not knock and I did not say you could come in," Caroline now pointed out as calmly as she could.   "I know..." replied Arabella sadly "An' I know I promised to do all them things but..." she shook her head a little "when I heard all them terrible horrible rotten things what happened to you, I was just so shocked and sad and angry that some low down bastard could do that to my sweet, pretty, lovely little Caroline, I just... well my soul kinda flew out to you, and my big ol' feet foller'd right along behind it."   She reached across and hugged her again and kissed her on top of her head again. Brendan then put in his two cents' worth.   From there, he looked down at Caroline. "Hey. What I was tryin' to say...goin' to say...is that...I understand."   "Good ta know, hon. Just wait a minute and we can continue this conversation once Ara leaves the room, shuts the door, and assures me she won't be listening in anymore. Got that?" Caroline eyed the teenager.   Arabella nodded compliantly enough, but then twisted in the bed so she was face to face with Brendan, whom she stared straight in the eye.   "But before I go, Brendan Connolly, you gotta tell me that you forgive me for all them silly things I said before and all them silly things I did cause even Caroline's forgiven me and she's the one I did and said them things to and we gettin' on all right now and I found out some stuff which made me change and I'm a better person now and it just ain't fair that you're still treatin' me so mean and, and..." she gulped down a sob and a lone tear appeared in the corner of her eye.   "... I really want you to be my friend again..." she wiped away the tear "... please."   @Bailey @Wayfarer
Adelaide Chappel

On the Street Where You Live

The word upset wasn't quite enough for how Jay felt right now. Addy and his relationship had grown slowly but surely but it had always been on shaky legs with his past and inability to ask her to marry him.

He couldn't even tell Browne she was taken.

So all he could do was huff and feel upset when suddenly he was challenged to...what...?

"You have a sleazy grin, sly tongue and not much to back it up is what I think so you need to go around and steal other mens ..." What could he call her without saying too much. "...treasures."

"Bring on the consequences. I dare you."

There was no way that this wash cloth would actually put his money where his mouth was.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Rather than withdraw his slanderous slur, Mr. Ryker compounded it further.

"You have a sleazy grin, sly tongue and not much to back it up is what I think so you need to go around and steal other mens ..." What could he call her without saying too much. "...treasures."

"You have gone too far Sir. How dare you! How very dare you?!! To imply, that I ... with ... your treasures! I..." Falmer Browne spluttered with wounded dignity. "You will withdraw those comments, Sir, or suffer the consequences!"

"Bring on the consequences. I dare you."

Ryker's paintbrush wielding rival turned suddenly from red-faced outrage to a sort of pale faced calm, as he pulled himself up to his full height and became very calm. The die was cast. There was no choice but death before dishonour.

"Very well." he said, looking down his nose at Jay "As a gentleman, you offer me no other choice. You will please name your second, and my second, Mr..." Oh crikey, who could he name as his second? Being something of a recluse he didn't really have any male friends that he could rely on to hold his coat in a duel of honour. Oh, there was the lad who delivered him farm produce sometimes! He'd have to do. 

"My second, Mr Jacob Lutz, will wait upon your second." He stood waiting to hear who Ryker's second would be as a blob of paint dripped onto his boot.

@Jack

Edited by Javia (see edit history)
  • Made Me Laugh! 1

Posted (edited)

The neighbor was now standing in front of him, pretty much the same hight but not agility and he wanted to challenge him to a duel. Over an insult!

That was absolutely ridiculous.

Jay watched the paint drop onto his immaculately polished boot. and shook his head.

"You wouldn't stand a chance. But you're lucky. I'm not gentleman and I won't be duelling you. Not for this. If you were actually in love with Adelaide and wanted to court her...maybe."

He took the pain brush from the mans hand and set it down so it wouldn't mark up his shoes any more.

"You can have the first punch, though!" Now it was Jay's tone that had become self assured and mocking.

Oh hopefully Addy would be watching this. There could only be one outcome, for sure.

And it would end with Browne's tail between his legs.

Edited by Jack (see edit history)
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Oh, yes, Miss Adelaide Borcey Blackwelder Wallace Chappel, daughter of a muleskinner, raised with eight older brothers, who was handling mules and draft horses that she could literally walk under when she was no taller'n a tiddly-twig on a sugarplum tree, drove ambulance during the War Betwixt th' States, who fought Injuns, banditos an' blackguards of all manner, an' kilt a bear with her bare hands...well, a shotgun, but she still killed it...

That Addy was watching, and she was fuming! 

That said, as soon as she had walked away, she regretted it.  Jay Ryker was the best thing that had happened to her, and she really hadn't been fair to him...she hadn't laid things out specifically, and he at least deserved to hear her part and defend himself.

So, she was stomping back, and in time to see the men squaring up. 

"Ain't gonna be no duelin'!" she declared as she barged between the two, "an' th' only one doin' any punchin'll be me!"  To that end, she gave F. Falmer a firm jab in the chest.  "You, go home before I do somethin' I'll enjoy!  An' you," now it was Jay's turn, "ya come with me, if ya ever did have any feelin's fer me, an' I know ya did, an' I you, so jest...C'mon, let's talk this out."

There was too much at stake to just let this go...

@Jack; @Javia

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Jay watched the paint drop onto his immaculately polished boot. and shook his head.

"You wouldn't stand a chance. But you're lucky. I'm not gentleman and I won't be duelling you. Not for this. If you were actually in love with Adelaide and wanted to court her...maybe."

"You won't fight, Sir?!" This idea was somewhat beyond F. Falmer Browne's sphere of comprehension. Was the man part of some strange pacifist religion, like the German Bretherin perhaps?

He took the pain brush from the mans hand and set it down so it wouldn't mark up his shoes any more. "You can have the first punch, though!" Now it was Jay's tone that had become self assured and mocking.

"Oh! Fisticuffs, eh?! Very well, as the challenged party, you have choice of weapons, of course. And I am willing to dispense with seconds if you are. You will have to pick up your own teeth from the sidewalk!" Browne warned, pulling off his jacket and rolling up his sleeves. 

So, she was stomping back, and in time to see the men squaring up. 

Browne, for his part had taken a scientific stance, legs bent and akimbo, first circling somewhat ridiculously looking in front of him in pure textbook style. 

"Come come! I'll have you know I used to box at Amhurst! I took the Bronze Medal at the 1838 intercollege bout, I'll soon settle your hash, you brute!" F.F. taunted, circling round and making feints and jabs that nearly put his back out of kilter.

But Addy had other ideas.

"Ain't gonna be no duelin'!" she declared as she barged between the two, "an' th' only one doin' any punchin'll be me!"  To that end, she gave F. Falmer a firm jab in the chest.

"Ow! That hurt." he complained, rubbing the afflicted area. 

"You, go home before I do somethin' I'll enjoy!"

"But... he snatched my brush!" protested Falmer Browne weakly, before sighing "Very well. Miss Chappel, Mr Ryker." he gave them both a small stiff bow and sloped off, then had to step back and retrieve his jacket from the steps before trying again.

"An' you," now it was Jay's turn, "ya come with me, if ya ever did have any feelin's fer me, an' I know ya did, an' I you, so jest...C'mon, let's talk this out."

There was too much at stake to just let this go...

@Jack @Bongo

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Browne had Ja worried for a moment when he told him that he had won a medal in a boxing championship that meant nothing to the Englishman.

Not that he was afraid of him but he was worried that he might actually look bad in front of Addy.

Sure enough the woman of his dreams had different plans for them. She went between them and had Jay by an invisible leash  called love.

Jay followed her and puffed out his chest but her look quickly deflated him.

"I can't just let him sweet talk you and stand by. I love you and he should respect that!"

"It's only 'sweet talk' if I'm hearin' that way," Addy muttered, steering them into the barn where her horses were, and where she used to live when Jay first had needed help.  It was a familiar and comfortable place, a safe place for her, where things seemed to be right, the way they were meant to be, not like the outside world where she had two men squabbling over some strange woman called 'Adelaide'.

Finally stopping, she turned to face him, taking his hands in hers as she looked up at him, trying to gather her thoughts to make him understand.

"I love ya, more'n I ever did think I'd be addled enough ta do, an' ya gotta know that an' not worry I'd be drawn away, an' especially by th' like's a Mr. Browne.  He's a good man, a good friend, but...that's all."  Sighing, she shrugged.  "An' ya gotta understand, I work with plenty'a men, have all my life, an' ain't none never turned my fancy before ya..."

Certainly, he understood what that implied.

@Jack

So she was only explaining that she loved him and not yelling at him which was nice. 

Jay understood from her words that she didn't have any interest in other men which made him feel at ease.

And it brought on something that he had wanted to ask her for a long time but the moment was never right, just like this wasn't. But if he had done it earlier he would have avoided tonights problem.

So he took her hand in both of his and looked her in the eyes before he went down on one knee. One deep breath. Courage.

"Addy, do you want to become my wife?"

Jay was listening, Addy was pleased with that, and he seemed to understand what she was trying to say, and that made her happy, but then he hesitated and she tried to explain a bit more.

"Yer different, Jay, I didn't never think any man could..."

But then he took her hand and was kneeling in front of her, and her head started screaming, 'No, no, no...don't...'  But her heart was soaring, and her head eagerly followed...

"Addy, do you want to become my wife?"

"I do that."  Grinning, she nodded and squeezed his hands, then pulling him up into a hug.  As much as she had resisted, she'd been wanting this for some time, and she knew he had too, so as quiet and simple as this was, it was all she'd ever hoped for.

And since the words had already been said, it was time to kiss, so she did!

@Jack

For a moment he was really worried that she'd say no. He had no clue why but it was possible.

But the she told him she wanted to be his wife and a huge rock dropped from his heart. 

"Yes! You said yes!" He beamed and then pressed his lips onto hers.

"That's what I was supposed ta say, wasn't it?"  Grinning, widely, she looked up at him, feeling a little light-headed, although she'd never admit it.  "Want me ta take it back?"

She kissed him again before he could answer, then asked, "When we gonna do this?  We can grab Weedy an' head to th' Justice of th' Peace right now, if you've a mind?"

She surely didn't care a whit about all the fuss of a formal wedding, so may as well get it done!

@Jack

his head had to be red for sure.

He was so excited and kissed her back. Deeply, not letting go any time soon.

He looked at her and admitted.

"I haven't been this happy in a while."

When she asked ti do it right away, he shook his head.

"let's put our goid clothes on, take a bath, invite some friends."

He wanted to do it properly.

"we should get someone to bake us a cake and set a nice table with flowers for you."

"I haven't been this happy in a while."

"Just a while?"  She gave him a teasing grin, followed by a light kiss.

"Let's put our good clothes on, take a bath, invite some friends."

"Good clothes?" Her nose wrinkled up.  Her 'good clothes' were nothing elegant, although she had to allow that they were clean, and didn't have any spots that had been mended, and he did have a point, although she didn't like to be the center of attention...not in that way, anyway.  Now, make it something she shot, or a maneuver with the stage, then she'd puff with pride, but being looked on and judged as a female...that scared the beheck out of her!

"we should get someone to bake us a cake and set a nice table with flowers for you."

Slowly, she nodded, already finding this more complicated than she'd like, but he was wanting it to be the perfect experience for her, and she had to respect that...and it made her love him all the more.

"All right, then, I'll talk ta Miz Pike, over to th' Lickskillet an' see if she can help with eats an' a place."  Her nose wrinkled up again.  "Ya want a proper church weddin', then?"  May as well, if they were going to make a thing of it, so she delegated that to him.

"Ya find us a church an' parson, an' I'll see 'bout th' rest...well, except that we should know who we're invitin' an' what day."

Posted (edited)

That question caught him off guard, so it was his turn to make a face.

"I haven't set a footbin a church since I joined the band of robbers and I probably shouldn't. It's for good Christian folks. How do you feel about getting married by the sheriff or someone else who can do it?"

A painful reminder of who she was going to be married to.

Edited by Jack (see edit history)

"Nonsense!"  Addy shook her head, then grabbed Jay's hand.  "God don't mind none whacha were, heck, he forgave a thief when they was hangin' on crosses."  She could understand some where he was coming from, though, but he had to learn to leave his past in the past.

"I'm sure Marshal Guyer'll do th' ceremony fer us, we'll worry 'bout gettin' ya right with th Good Lord later."  She wouldn't force him to go to services with her and Weedy, but she'd surely appreciate it in time.  "I'll see if Miz Pike'll jest let us use her place fer all'a it."  It was that or the barn, and while she didn't so much mind, she didn't think that others would appreciate the horsie aromas the way she did!

"Best git started, then.  'Less there's somethin' else we might wanna do inside before?"  She gave him a cheeky grin, then kissed him, pressing suggestively close.  They were as good as married, after all, right?

@Jack

Jay was more than glad that she did not insist on getting married in a church. So he nodded and whispered. "Thank you. I'd feel like a traitor being inside a church."

Getting married with planning, location, cake, food, music invitations was almost making his head spin. He would actually prefer just the three of them but he wanted to make it right for her. After all this was something very special for most people.

When Addy pressed close to him and suggested going inside, he grinned sheepishly and pulled her against him.

"In fact there is. There is something I urgently need to show you and it does not involve any clothing!"

He took her hand and then hurried inside with his love in tow.

Up the stairs to their future bedroom...or would she still be living here alone?

"Will you let me share this bed with you in the future?"

Gently he pushed her down on it.

The weird neighbor had actually brought on something good for him. Maybe he should go and thank him later.

"Can't much argue 'bout things that don't involve no clothes!"  She wasn't sure what he meant, exactly, but she was sure he knew what she meant, and so long as that eventuality occurred, she didn't much mind how they got there!

And he pretty much took her straight there, which was just fine with her!  She laughed as he pushed her onto the bed, but then frowned when he asked his question...

"Will you let me share this bed with you in the future?"

"Oh, well, I reckon that's what a man an' wife do, ain't it?"  She shrugged, reaching up to brush her fingers over his chin.  "Where else ya gonna sleep besides our house?"  Because what was hers would be his, and not just because the law said so.  "Gotta keep me warm, an' I can't cuddle with ya if ya ain't here."  She leaned up to kiss him.

@Jack