Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   Miss Grimes flicked her stick to the right and struck the package, bending down to retrieve it. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Pike, I have it." she smiled picking up the package and feeling it over for tears. "I hope none of it is peeping out, it is some undergarments and an old dress that needed repairs. I can sew but it's a laborious process for me, and we will be on our way to Kalispell tomorrow."   She managed to bundle up everything in one arm, packages, stick, and stuck out the other to somewhere near Emeline again.   "Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Connolly at the Diner."   @Bongo 
    • "Oh..."  Emeline gasped as the girl dropped her package, and started to bend down to get it, but then hesitated, wondering if perhaps she even wanted help, or might feel insulted at the offer, that it would imply that she couldn't do for herself.   "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   @Javia        
    • He took Frances' hand and gently shook it, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Grimes."   "And you, Mr. Simons." she smiled sweetly.   "If you are interested in joining the ladies group my aunt Rebecca Wentworth will be running, I can get her to send you an invitation or she can personally come to see you."   "Oh, that sounds wonderful, I shall have to see if, er..." stammered the blind girl, and Crabbe could guess why.    "And it doesn't cost anything to join, does it, Ben?" Lorenzo put in.   "It sounds absolutely wonderful Mr. Simons" said Frances, now much more firmly "Please, just an invitation, I mean, just knowing when and when your Aunt would be holding the meetings would be all I need. I shall find it with no problem. What a kind thought, thank you, Mr. Simons."   At the sound of Ben munching, she decided that she had probably outstayed her welcome at his tableside and said "I shall leave you to your repast, Mr Simons, thank you again."   @JulieS    
    • "First off, proper grammar, it is 'like a blind person' not people," Clara pointed out , "And secondly we are here in this kitchen to cook proper meals for paying customers. That is a responsibility I take most seriously. Kindly be more....adult."   "Ain't it funny, Clara, I'm always makin' mistakes like that when I talk in my regular voice, but when I do 'personations of folk, I can speak right if I needs to. Listen to this:..." the gangly, scruffy teenager suddenly stood up ramrod straight at the frying pan and repositioned the spachelor in her hand like she was holding a dainty quill, then started to speak in a refined, maybe even pretentious voice, very unlike her own, with no trace of a southern accent:   "Arabella, would you please desist from precipitating those most distastful and less that utilitarian anecdotal confabulations. I find them most distressing!" All right, the words might not make sense, but anyone who knew Clara would have recognised the rhythm and tone of her voice.   @Wayfarer
    • "There ain't no 'we', Ara, this is between me n' the cowpoke here. You did not knock and I did not say you could come in," Caroline now pointed out as calmly as she could.   "I know..." replied Arabella sadly "An' I know I promised to do all them things but..." she shook her head a little "when I heard all them terrible horrible rotten things what happened to you, I was just so shocked and sad and angry that some low down bastard could do that to my sweet, pretty, lovely little Caroline, I just... well my soul kinda flew out to you, and my big ol' feet foller'd right along behind it."   She reached across and hugged her again and kissed her on top of her head again. Brendan then put in his two cents' worth.   From there, he looked down at Caroline. "Hey. What I was tryin' to say...goin' to say...is that...I understand."   "Good ta know, hon. Just wait a minute and we can continue this conversation once Ara leaves the room, shuts the door, and assures me she won't be listening in anymore. Got that?" Caroline eyed the teenager.   Arabella nodded compliantly enough, but then twisted in the bed so she was face to face with Brendan, whom she stared straight in the eye.   "But before I go, Brendan Connolly, you gotta tell me that you forgive me for all them silly things I said before and all them silly things I did cause even Caroline's forgiven me and she's the one I did and said them things to and we gettin' on all right now and I found out some stuff which made me change and I'm a better person now and it just ain't fair that you're still treatin' me so mean and, and..." she gulped down a sob and a lone tear appeared in the corner of her eye.   "... I really want you to be my friend again..." she wiped away the tear "... please."   @Bailey @Wayfarer

Posted (edited)

Mature Content: No

Author: Put your OOC username here ONLY if posting with a Shared NPC. 

With: James
When: May 1876
Time of Day: Afternoon

content-divider.png

The sun had been up for a few hours by the time James had managed to get his best suit brushed and looking fair enough. He stepped outside the door of the boarding house where he was staying at present, taking a moment to close it quietly behind him before he started the short walk to the town center. When he reached the main street, James made his way from one business to the next, asking if there was any work that he might do for them. Every place he tried didn’t have anything available, or if they did it was work that James was ill-suited for. It wasn’t until much later that day that his luck finally began to look up.

James’ hand rested on the knob as he took a moment to gather his courage before he opened the door and stepped within. He removed his hat, turning it in his hands with a nervous air that he couldn’t quite hide from the people who looked up at his entrance. “Excuse me.” He said, speaking in an unmistakable British accent. “I was hoping that there might be an open position in your office. I’m looking for work.” James drew in a deep breath and went on, “I attended Eton, graduating with honors before I started at Cambridge. I was studying to be a solicitor, although I was not able to complete my studies there, I do have a letter of reference from the headmaster. As well as letters from several of the professors that I studied under.” From the interior pocket of his coat, James withdrew the packet of letters that he carried with him. He didn’t have copies of the letters of recommendation so while he was willing to show them to prospective employers he dared not leave them with anyone. If anything were to happen to them, it would be many months if not years before he could possibly send for and receive replacements for them.

If he was honest with himself, as he generally was, James was much fonder of drawing and painting, but he knew that his chances of making a living doing that were slim at best. He didn't really know that he loved law but he was good at it and it was the kind of work that a nobleman wasn’t dissuaded from doing. It was what he'd been studying when his father had died and he’d been forced to quit his studies. James knew himself well enough to know he would not make an effective barrister. Not that there was a difference here in America like there was back in England. Since his arrival, he’d come to understand that both positions were simply referred to as lawyers. But that is neither here nor there. James thought as a tiny smile ghosted over his face while he waited to see what the other man's response would be to his request for employment.  By now he was getting rather desperate and willing to take any job he could do to survive.

Edited by Nova (see edit history)
  • Love 1

Speed looked up as Ada Fetterman gave the young man her usual skeptical look, yet there was interest in this one. He did not have the look of prospector, nor surveyor. The credentials he presented were not unknown to her, she herself had attended Princeton, but that had almost been for naught.

Speed stood up from the papers he and Ada had been going over. He to was impressed by his credentials, though they really would be of little use in Kalispell. And, another Englishman, it seemed as though the town was drawing a goodly number of them. "So, you have a name Or, do you want us to call you Eaton? I am familiar with those institutions. Now, about a job. Ada here runs the office, and you will be working with her to a great extent. And of course myself when I'm in the office. I'm also Town Marshal, so I'm in and out. Your experience studying the law, well, that could be very useful."

"I need someone that can deal with registering claims, dealing with the legalities of buying and selling of properties across the state. And, if by chance you have a name, I believe Mister Guyer and I could use you." Ada added. She seldom called him Marshal.

large.990181986_AdaFetterman-1.jpg.76376aa9a9e4e551a73213790c013bc2.jpg

@Nova

• Like 1

James’ gaze shifted between the man and woman before him doing his best to hide his nervousness from them both, knowing revealing just how badly he needed work would do him no favors with potential employers.  He knew of Princeton of course, and when he learned that she had studied there, James would be surprised and ever so slightly envious.

“Yes, of course.”  James replied quickly when asked if he had a name.  “James.  My name is James Vaughn.”  Luckily he’d finally stopped instinctively using his title.  The hesitation used to make it seem he was lying and had caused him difficulty in the months since he arrived in America from England.  He sent Ada a boyish smile, inkling his head slightly at her, “A pleasure madam.”  He hadn’t been given leave to use her first name and was clearly trying to be respectful towards the older woman.  “Marshall.”  James nodded again, listening to the pair intently.

The tip of his tongue snaked out to wet his lips as Ada told him a little about the work.  “Just to be clear, I’ve never done anything of the sort before.”  He told them honestly before continuing to speak, “But as I said before I did study law, and I’m a fast learner.  Willing to work hard.”  He closed his mouth and swallowed hard, his hazel eyes flickering between them both.

• Like 1

Ada looked at the young man skeptically, then broke into a smile. "Fast learner? You can be taught, and you say you attended the Universities over in England, I presume that you studied the law? I presume that a fellow who has the education that you have would be able to take on what we're asking you to do with ease. Oh granted, it will be new to you, but, in our defense, Speed here has the law books which we go by to get claims registered, transferred, and resold again."

"There'll be a learning curve, granted, but it's not to steep. Most of the legal stuff is pretty straight forward, we just tend to get in a lot at one time and with the Marshal's job it can be late nights for both Ada and I getting things done, so, your learning the ropes will be helpful. And once you get the hang of it, well, you get the picture."

@Nova

Sorry, I didn't see this.

“Yes Ma’am.”  James said with such a brisk nod of his head that a lock of his unruly hair dropped into his eyes.  He brushed his fingers through his hair, pushing it back out of his way, fighting the urge to blush.  “I did study law back in England.”  He clarified, offering her a tiny smile.  “So I’m certain it won’t take me any time a’tall to become familiar with the local laws.”  There were many things James didn’t fully understand about the world that he now found himself in, but the law was at least somewhat familiar ground.  Not that he had a great passion for it, but he did for learning so that at least had held his interest.

James squared his shoulders, giving a firm nod to the marshal and Ada both.  “I won’t let you down.  I give you my word.”  James said fervently, meaning every word since this was the first place to have given him the slightest encouragement.  His money wasn’t quite gone, but he was lower than he’d like and needed to find a job to survive out here.  He didn't want to sound desperate, even if he was beginning to feel that way.

"Let us down? I would hardly think of hiring anyone I suspected would let us down. Mister Vaughn, I have been doing what we are asking you to do, so if there is anything that you would need to know, i can help you with it until you are comfortable doing it on your own. It's how we do business."  Ada Fetterman stated.

"I'm glad you stopped in actually." Speed began, "Ada has been doing all of what is needed, but she and I to some extend are taxed attempting to get to everything that needs doing. Adding a young man such as yourself, with the bonus of a legal background is, well, quite frankly, a Godsend. You'll do just fine, trust me, in no time you'll be on your own." he extended his hand to the man, "Welcome aboard, as they say."

@Nova

James didn’t know what to say to that so he wisely kept his mouth shut, merely smiled though it was a touch uncertain.  “Glad to hear that.  My teachers always said I was full of questions.”  

James drew in a shaky breath, his eyes dropping from the other man’s to the offered hand.  He’d never been a Godsend to anyone before.  Most of his life he’d been the spare to his older brother Henry, the heir.  Ignored by his father, tormented by his brother and his classmates throughout his years at school.  “When shall I start?  And…”  He flushed slightly never having to have asked such a thing but if he was to feed and clothe himself he needed to know.  “What is the compensation?”  He was staying at the boarding house for the time being, but he was feeling a stifled there and hoped to rent a small house for himself, even if it meant he would have to prepare his own meals.

"Mister Vaughn, I will teach you what has to be done, you seem a bright young man so I would assume that learning what needs doing will not be much of a task for you. If I can learn the ropes, I'm sure you'll have no trouble." Ada Fetterman explained. "Well, you're standing here, may as well start today. As far as wages, that is up to the Marshal here." She looked to Speed.

"Now miss Fetterman here earns twenty-five dollars a month, we'll start you at twenty. Paid weekly. So that's five dollars a week as you learn. Sound fair to you Mister Vaughn?" Speed asked.

Ada Fetterman was doing a man's job, working as a secretary the standard six days per week, men did most jobs that were available including secretarial, Speed felt she should be paid a mans wage. She would likely top out at thirty dollars a month, as would James Vaughn, unless something extraordinary happened with the business.

@Nova

“I like to think that I am.”  James said with a shy little smile for the older woman, “Thank you.”  He took a breath, squaring his shoulders when she said that he could learn the tasks without any trouble.  “Today sounds perfect Ma’am.”  He hurriedly assured her with a nod.  "Where shall I start?"  He asked.

James had worked out what he needed to earn to survive in Kalispell and the wage that the Marshall gave him seemed adequate to keep him fed and housed in relative comfort if not close to the standard he’d been born into.  But you’re not a lord here.  He thought a trifle wryly.  “Yes sir.”  He said, offering his hand in case the Marshal wanted to shake on the deal.

Unlike many men, James had no issue with the fact that a woman made more than he did.  After all, she’d been doing it for quite some time.  He was just starting today and had to learn what Miss Fetterman already knew, and learn quickly since he’d claimed to be a fast learner.  James was in the deep end now and it was sink or swim time for the young Brit.

Edited by Nova (see edit history)

"Now, so you know, I'm not in here a lot, I do make it a point to check in everyday, see what men may have checked in, what they have locate if anything. All you need do James is fill in the blanks on the forms, take them to the court clerk and when they are ready, go back after them. A big help will be for you to keep up the map." Speed explained. "Not an exciting job, I assure you, but a good sale brings bonuses."

Ada smiled, "You'll do just fine James, just fine." In the beginning he would serve as a runner between the office and the clerks office, during that time he would be learning the legalities involved in the day to day transfer of properties, and the purchase and sale of them under Montana's codes

@Nova

James opened his mouth intending to repeat his earlier statement about how he would not let the marshal down but he caught himself a bare second before ding so.  “The map sir?”  He asked, eyes lit with curiosity, since he had always loved drawing. "I do have a fair hand with drawing.  I assume that there is someone who can describe the terrain to me."   This seemed a way he could use his skill in a practical way.  Which was something he'd always been told would never amount to anything worthwhile.  “Honestly Marshall, I'm not looking for excitement.  I merely wish to earn a fair wage so I can survive out here.”  He said, with a little shrug.  The mention of bonuses was certainly a welcome one and his eyes brightened at the notion

James smiled back at Ada, though if he’d known what she was thinking he’d likely have laughed and corrected her since he’s never really been much of a runner.  Not even as a young lad, but he’d certainly walk the documents anywhere they needed to go.  

Speed smiled, "The map is on the wall there. Note that owned properties, ranches farms, homesteads are colored in red. Unless it id the property owner that happens to locate something on his land, we take no claims on any land in red. Now, These plots in gray, they're pending our appropriation. Green of course, are those sites we own." The territory with diagonal lines  are areas that we are either waiting to explore, or are exploring."

Ada piped up, so as things change, you will be able to change the colors as needed. Which basically will be the areas with the diagonal lines which are in regular pencil. The red never rally changes. Green is also erasable as sometimes they are sold. So, is that clear as mud?" She smiled. "I'm always here and able to help out if you need me."

@Nova

• Liked your post, Pard! 1