Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

The Reception

"Two weddin's, ares an' thiers pert near o toppa one another. Reckon that ain't about ta happen again any time soon, so I ain't worried, well, not too much anyways. Might'a started a trend here." He chided. "Man get a strain carryin' them cakes like that from the cafe ta wherever. Plumb wear him out." At least he had a chance to change out of his 'monkey suit'  for this part of the wedding.

As common courtesy dictated, he did not wear his guns, so he didn't wear his badge either. Didn't seem right somehow to be showing up armed for a celebration. Noticing that some of the men, and boys were slipping out back, Barnabas  said, "Best see what the stir is out back. Mosta the other 'er out there."

He walked out to the back, hearing the repeated 'thunk' of what he knew would be horse shoe pitching, and the stream of well intentioned insults, it was a lively game. Ther stood the 'sky pilot' in his shirt sleeves.

"Afternoon Padre, nice weddin' taday."

@Bongo@boshmi@Javia@Wayfarer

“You want a cigar, Mr. Redmond? How about we go outside for a smoke?”

Aurelian was surprised to be sure but recovered quickly, "I'm sorry but I do not indulge. Thank you though."

Like he was ever going out and smoke cigars with a young lady!

Mr and Mrs Pike arrived then, and Arabella departed with an excited shriek to help them unpack the cake, which up until then had been a source of great speculation to the majority of the girls of the party. This left Jemima and Aurelian face to face and as alone as one can be in a crowded homestead. Given the choice between a hunk of cake and a hunk of a man, it was ‘no contest’ in Miss Wigfall’s book.

She quickly filled the gap that Arabella had left and came up as close to the dishy widower as was propriety would allow, and perhaps a shade closer than that. She folded her arms and looked him up and down appraisingly, before making him a proposal in her plain sounding voice, made perhaps a little huskier by the sight of him, all togged up in his best britches.

“See here, Mr. Redmond, now your daughter’s leaving home, you might need a woman to come in and look after you, like a housekeeper. I could move in and, you know, take care of you, if you like. How’d that grab you?” she asked, trying (unsuccessfully) to sound like she didn’t want to take the handsome brute up into the hay loft right now and make mad passionate love with him.

But, Oh Lord, was he a fine looking man!

@Wayfarer

The arrival of Emeline and her husband was a relief to Clara for a few reasons. There would be another woman in the kitchen besides Granny and Lenora. Well, Lenora was nice and quiet, she was fine though not much for conversation it seemed. And more importantly Emeline was bringing the wedding cake. Clara had not seen it yet but was excited for her first glimpse. She just knew it would be great.

After the cake was carefully brought into the home and then set on the kitchen table, Clara took a long loving look at it. It was simply............

"Amazing! You did such a great job. Thank you, thank you so much - for the cake, for everything," Clara gushed with an enthusiasm she seldom revealed to anyone. This whole marriage deal was opening her up though as never before.

"I will almost hate to see us cut into it," she admitted.

Well, the main meal was ready for people to start on it, not everyone would be able to eat together around that small kitchen table of the Redmonds, in fact it was piled with the assembled food such as the ham and side dishes and dinnerware to put the helpings upon.

"We should let everyone know that dinner is served," Clara declared with confidence.

Guest boshmi

Hello again Reverend! I didn’t get a chance to say before what a wonderful and moving ceremony that was earlier. I’m man enough to admit I… well I got a tear in my eye once or twice during it.”

Thomas gave Hector a look, reasonably akin to that which he had given the boy just before the ceremony. His commentary and eager dissolution of the event seemed entirely counterproductive to his declaration of a 'wonderful and moving ceremony.'

Still, he said nothing, for either the boy was a pathological liar or experiencing emotional whiplash, and neither was worth spoiling the occasion over. Besides, Hector was hardly subversive in his mannerisms, and it was a fair bet that most in the town already understood his disposition well enough.

Jacob approached, with a contrasting degree of sincerity in his tone; a boy... man whom Thomas was pleased to shake the hand of.

“Do you throw horseshoes, Father?” he asked “My brother in law here set it up.”

"I have, on occasion." he said, giving Wyatt a quick smile. "You've done a fine job, setting the peg up real straight."

He turned back to Jacob and placed an approving  hand on his shoulder "...and you, Jacob, have done a fine job too. This all must have been daunting, talking to Aurelian, and having a proper wedding, but it was the right thing to do, and now, this..." he gestured to the Redmond homestead "...is your reward. Support, and a family. I trust you'll be a good husband and a proper Father."

He gave Jacob's shoulder a quick pat, before leaning down to set away the whiskey and pick up a horseshoe. "Now, I should hope I haven't grown rusty with age..."

"Afternoon Padre, nice weddin' taday."

"Deputy Pike. I thank you, but I was merely an officiant. Jacob, and Clara, and of course everyone who attended, are those who made it worthwhile." Thomas said, tossing the horseshoe underhand. It clanged off the peg and landed awkwardly in the sand.

He stood straight and regarded the pit with a contemptful eye. "Care to take a throw?" he offered the Deputy.

@Bongo@Flip@Wayfarer@Javia

This was turning out better than the boy expected, as first Jacob then his best man (if that was the BEST of Jacob's friends, Wyatt felt sorry for him), then the minister showed up to play. Probably lost in the greetings of the clergyman, Wyatt did offer his own sincere, "Hi ...Parson." 

That's what they had called Parson Evans but young Wyatt was a bit confused as to what to address this old fella as. He certainly did seem a very nice man though. But then clergy probably had to be, part of the job one might say.

"You've done a fine job, setting the peg up real straight," complimented the minister.

Wyatt beamed, "Thanks I just pounded it in the same ol' hole we've always used."

His new brother -in -law and the parson had a little chat but then then the old fella picked up a shoe to try his luck. Not bad a throw really.

"Oh nice try!" Wyatt encouraged him.

And now there was yet another possible participant, the deputy and the man who married Clara's boss lady. No gun or badge though. Hopefully he didn't lose his job?

"Care to take a throw?" the parson offered the Deputy.

"Yeah, you should. You couldn't do any worse than Hector," grinned Wyatt.

westrpgson2.jpg

"Two weddin's, ares an' thiers pert near o toppa one another. Reckon that ain't about ta happen again any time soon, so I ain't worried, well, not too much anyways. Might'a started a trend here." He chided. "Man get a strain carryin' them cakes like that from the cafe ta wherever. Plumb wear him out."

"I appreciate all the effort."  With a grin, Emeline kissed Barnabas again, then added, "I'll be sure to let you have plenty of rest tonight."  She chuckled, and then he was off to play with the boys, something that she certainly didn't begrudge him.

"Best see what the stir is out back. Mosta the other 'er out there."

"Keeping law and order!"  Laughing, Emeline went to join the ladies in the kitchen, to offer help and provide a buffer in case Granny was in a mood!

"Your cake made it in one piece," she announced, her smile widening at Clara's expression when she saw it.

"Amazing! You did such a great job. Thank you, thank you so much - for the cake, for everything,"

"Of course, anything for my best worker!"  And a dear friend!

"I will almost hate to see us cut into it," she admitted.

"I'll forgive you."  She laughed again, they looked around the small kitchen, beaming with pride at the fine job of organizing everything that Clara had done.

"We should let everyone know that dinner is served,"

"Oh, goodness, I wish we had thought about this," Emeline sighed, "I could have brought some dishes, and maybe even a table or two.  We'll find a way to make this work."  Unfortunately, it was too far to go back into town, but maybe they could improvise some?

"We can pull out some hay bales and stack them, cover them with sheets?" she suggested.  "Folks might have to stand to eat, but I don't think they'd mind."  After all, this wasn't some stuffy, formal bash where everyone had to stand straight and be uncomfortable...this was more of a casual, family gathering, everyone was having a good time, and no one was going to be picky about the details.

@Wayfarer; @Javia

"You've done a fine job, setting the peg up real straight," complimented the minister.

Wyatt beamed, "Thanks I just pounded it in the same ol' hole we've always used."

Hector thought of a dirty rejoinder to that comment, but forbore considering the company.

His new brother -in -law and the parson had a little chat but then then the old fella picked up a shoe to try his luck. Not bad a throw really.

"Oh nice try!" Wyatt encouraged him.

Hector had heard a rumour about Father Thomas, that he had originally arrived in town armed to the teeth and that he spent all day long in his ‘Love Shack’ at back of the church cleaning and oiling an arsenal of weaponry so immense that it put Harper’s Ferry to shame. But if he was a deadly shot with a gun, such skills clearly didn’t translate well to pitching horseshoes.

And now there was yet another possible participant, the deputy and the man who married Clara's boss lady. No gun or badge though. Hopefully he didn't lose his job?

"Care to take a throw?" the parson offered the Deputy.

"Yeah, you should. You couldn't do any worse than Hector," grinned Wyatt.

“Ha ha, you’re funny!” commented Hector, balling a fist where Wyatt could see it in mock fury. He assumed that the smaller kid would know he was joking but Jacob made it clear, just in case.

“Ignore him, Wy, last time Wigfall had a fight it was with his sister, and he lost.” He said, remembering a schoolyard incident.

Hector was about to bite back but some kind invisible mental force field stopped him talking about the time Jemima had put Jacob in a headlock when they were all around twelve or fourteen or, for that matter, any kind of anecdote at all that placed the Groom and his sister in the same room at the same time. The usually insensitive blowhard just knew, somehow, that this was not a good place to go.

“Oh he know’s I’m just clowning, Lutz. Besides, he looks like he could pack a pretty good punch himself.” said the telegraph operator, giving Wyatt a rough boyish compliment.

Well, the old fellers were hogging the horseshoes and now they were being called in for food.

@Any

"Deputy Pike. I thank you, but I was merely an officiant. Jacob, and Clara, and of course everyone who attended, are those who made it worthwhile." Thomas said, tossing the horseshoe underhand. It clanged off the peg and landed awkwardly in the sand.

He stood straight and regarded the pit with a contemptful eye. "Care to take a throw?" he offered the Deputy.

"Used to be a hand at throwin' shoes, been a spell since I tried." Pike replied as he took the offered shoe. "So I'm a might rusty." His body remembered the motions, and the steps well enough, his arm wound back then came rushing forward to where he released the iron shoe. It made a beautiful pair of rolls and returned to earth a good foot and a half past, and to the right of the pin. "Well, she looked good in flight, I'll say that."

@boshmi@Wayfarer@Bongo@Javia

Wyatt was fairly confident Hector wasn't actually angry with him for his jibe although the fist balled up was not a good sign. Still he wasn't about to act scared, this was his home and Pa was around. Hector wouldn't dare. Plus Jacob assured him “Ignore him, Wy, last time Wigfall had a fight it was with his sister, and he lost.”

"Oh really?" Wyatt wasn't going to laugh because he too could not win a fight with Clara, not that they ever fought like that, just argued at times like siblings did. Besides one look at Hector and Jemima side by side and yeah, Wyatt would bet on the tough looking girl.

Pike now took his turn at the horseshoes, hefting a nice arc too which in the end missed. No big deal, most shots missed in horseshoes. The deputy remarked it did look good though, in the air.

"Yeah, it did. You were pretty close for a first throw ya know?" Wyatt pointed out sympathetically.

But the call was for dinner now!  Much as Wyatt loved horseshoes, he loved these big dinners even more.

"Hey time to eat! Let's go everybody. We got ham for dinner!" he loved ham.

The boy led the way back to the farmhouse. The womenfolk were urging the men to step on into the kitchen, fill their plates and find a barrel about the outstretched planks on saw horses outside or even sit on a bale of hay. The weather was beautiful so no worry from the elements except for some pesky flies.

Arabella headed into the farmhouse to check out the cake Emeline and her husband had brought from town. That left Aurelian and the Wigfall girl.

She quickly filled the gap that Arabella had left, “See here, Mr. Redmond, now your daughter’s leaving home, you might need a woman to come in and look after you, like a housekeeper. I could move in and, you know, take care of you, if you like. How’d that grab you?”

"Oh no thank you, I cannot afford replacing free help with paid help. I will make do, myself and my son. But thank you for your offer," Aurelian quickly dodged that one then decided this conversation had gone on long enough. Why wasn't Jemima hanging around with the rest of the women?

"Say, nice talking to ya but I gotta go ...........you know mingle with all the guests as father of the bride. Big day, yes big day indeed," he nodded then left, anywhere just to leave her behind. Good heavens, she was an odd one.

• JulieS locked this topic