Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

The Reception

Guest boshmi

"Well, she looked good in flight, I'll say that."

"Yeah, it did. You were pretty close for a first throw ya know?"

"I'd second that." Thomas announced. He'd half-expected the dead-eyed deputy to land a ringer on his first go.

In another moment there was the call for food from within the house, to which Wyatt's ears seemed to perk up immediately.

"Hey time to eat! Let's go everybody. We got ham for dinner!" the boy cried, enthusiastically darting towards the door in an archetypal presentation of family life's motions.

Thomas leaned to pick up the bottle and smooth out the certificate, before following the boy's steps into the house. As they trundled through the doorway, the air became thick with the smell of cooking; meats and vegetables and perhaps the smell of pastry? Either way, the atmosphere was warm, welcoming, and familiar. There was the newly-made Mrs. Lutz, swamped by plates of food and engaged with Mrs. Blakesley; seemingly a significantly more sincere relationship than that of Jacob and Hector.

The Reverend picked up a plate, though waited by the wall for a time, until people had been sufficiently served.

@Bongo@Javia@Wayfarer@Flip

Before he could say anything about the toss, "Hey time to eat! Let's go everybody. We got ham for dinner!" And that cleared the yard. He followed the Priest inside, but waited to take up a plate stood next to the man. 'Was it priest or pastor,' he wondered silently.

"Ya know, I'm a bit confused about what I should call you, I mean I realize you are a priest, that much is clear, what I don't get is do I call ya pastor as well." He smiled. "I'm up from Texas, an' we got Priests an' we got pastors, but but they ain't of the same faith, if you see where I'm goin' with this."

@boshmi

Long after the wedding was over, Arabella might oft times talk of the ‘Miracle of the Ring’ but others were more likely to talk of the miracle of the music: the miracle that took two of the biggest problem guests out of the equation. Hector had brought along his fiddle and, after a quick bite to eat, started to play a few tunes on it which gave a very gay carnival atmosphere to the whole event. It also meant he couldn’t be offending anyone or starting any fights. Likewise, the aggravating Arabella had brought along a concertina of unexplained provenance, which she used to great effect in accompanying Hector’s reels and jigs.

Nellie Miggins, on the other hand, was very much still in circulation. She was trying, to be fair (very trying, some might say) She tried not to boss Clara around in the kitchen (well, no more than she needed to be) after all, it was her new Granddaughter’s kitchen, she knew it best. And when Jacob reappeared she caught herself before nagging him ‘Take out them plates and pass ‘em round’, instead she managed a “Better ask your wife if she want’s anything a-doin’!”

Jacob smiled. Good old Granny.

He found Clara. With all these people around and so much to do, he felt like he and Clara had never been so far apart, and this on the day they were supposed to be joined. But it was all a traditional part of the theatre of marriage, they just had to get through it, he knew.

“Can I help with anything, dearest?” he grinned, knowing that he was probably in the way just by being in the kitchen.

@Wayfarer

Clara watched hovering close by as the guests filled their plates and chattered away, she wanted to be available in case needed something like the good hostess. In truth though Granny Miggins, when she wasn't suggesting (well telling) her things, did help out some and once Emeline showed up then things went much smoother.

The meal seemed to be well received or at least no one complained about the food. Lack of seating was an issue but people made due, it seemed everyone wanted to simply enjoy the atmosphere and company and relax. Jacob's friend and Arabella even provided some impromptu music for entertainment and when Jacob came up to her to ask if he could help she had an idea.

"Yes, yes you can. Let us dance as long as we have some music," she promptly announced then the young couple did a crazy sort of more spontaneous jig than anything else, with plenty of twirling about til Clara had to call 'stop' before she got too dizzy. Even her brother clapped loudly as the pair called a halt.

"Feel free, folks, to go ahead and dance. And a fine thank you to our wonderful musicians!" Clara now called out.

A glance in one particular direction had reminded her of something she dearly wished to attend to in this reception so Clara made her way over to Bridget and sat next to her.

"I hope the food was good? And I am so happy you came for the wedding.  Are you having a nice time?"

"Yes, yes you can. Let us dance as long as we have some music," she promptly announced then the young couple did a crazy sort of more spontaneous jig than anything else, with plenty of twirling about til Clara had to call 'stop' before she got too dizzy. Even her brother clapped loudly as the pair called a halt.

Jacob had heard that pregnancy could do odd things to a woman, the cravings for odd food (and also cravings for their husband’s attentions in the bedroom!) but this was so un-Clara he could only goggle and then laugh and join in as they danced about to Lutz & Mudd’s jolly tune. Adept dancer though he was, he could hardly keep up with her. He gave a deep bow at the end though, just as he had at the end of that first ever dance. That first dance! It seemed like both a lifetime ago and a mere seconds since that fateful night.

"Feel free, folks, to go ahead and dance. And a fine thank you to our wonderful musicians!" Clara now called out.

Arabella and Hector looked at each other and nodded in agreement and mock braggadocio. Looking at them, playing so beautifully in harmony, you might think that they would have made a good couple: But Hector preferred pretty round faced blonde girls and, frankly, so did Arabella.

A glance in one particular direction had reminded her of something she dearly wished to attend to in this reception so Clara made her way over to Bridget and sat next to her. 

"I hope the food was good? And I am so happy you came for the wedding.  Are you having a nice time?"

Bridget looked up from her plate, her chin and dress was covered in crumbs. Most people had piled their plates pretty high with all the good Vittles on offer, but the ginger girl had created a veritable Tower of Babel on hers, and like its Biblical counterpart, it looked non too stable.

“Clara you’re… you’re married!” she managed to say, despite a mouthful of treacle tart that Granny Miggins had supplied. Bridget wasn’t too worried about eating sweet before savoury, or both together if the mood took her. Then she frowned and looking about spotted Emeline’s new husband and pointed at him.

“Pike’s lost badge!” She had been pleased to see the lawman arrive, but the lack of shiny silver stars had taken the shine off him as far as the noodle-headed redhead was concerned.

@Wayfarer plus anyone.

Guest boshmi

Deputy Pike moved up next to Thomas, as the party began to bustle with the clinking of cutlery and the music of a rather poorly-staffed frontier orchestra.

"Ya know, I'm a bit confused about what I should call you, I mean I realize you are a priest, that much is clear, what I don't get is do I call ya pastor as well. I'm up from Texas, an' we got Priests an' we got pastors, but but they ain't of the same faith, if you see where I'm goin' with this."

Thomas smiled back at Barnabas. "I couldn't blame you for being confused, deputy; I, for a while, hardly knew which faith I belonged to. When I first started spreading the word of God, in Dakota, it was in an Evangelistic capacity, so I suppose I've always been a pastor, yes." he paused for a moment, and his brow furrowed, almost involuntarily. "Then, I sort of... lost God, for a little while. I wandered, came up into Montana, started preaching again to the Catholics in the south, and became a Father. Now, some years later, I'm here, as a Methodist. I suppose, the point is that I've been many things, and certainly both 'priest' and 'pastor' at some stage. As to which you should use; I'd say that's up to your preference."

He glanced down at his plate, considering his explanation. He had been far too many things, and plenty of people probably have issues with the open approach he took. Ironically, the attitude towards spreading the word of God was an inherently Evangelist one. It could probably be argued that he'd never stepped outside his original denomination at all.

"I've been to Texas, nearly a lifetime ago." he told the deputy, as a less-than-subtle attempt to change the subject.

@Bongo@Javia@Flip@Wayfarer

One look at Bridget's copiously piled plate answered her question already if the redhead was enjoying the food. It was amazing Bridget stayed so slim but then she was rather tall.  Clara was just glad the girl seemed to be enjoying herself.

"And yes, I am married. To be honest, I never thought I would be but now that it has happened I am most pleased with my situation. Jacob is a wonderful young man," Clara agreed with Bridget's declaration.

“Pike’s lost badge!” Bridget suddenly changed the subject which took Clara off guard for a brief instant.

"Oh no, I am confident he has not. You see he is not on duty but simply attending to celebrate the wedding with his wife. Deputies do not wear badges when they are not officially at work," Clara tried to hopefully explain for her.

"And yes, I am married. To be honest, I never thought I would be but now that it has happened I am most pleased with my situation. Jacob is a wonderful young man," Clara agreed with Bridget's declaration.

Bridget smiled inanely at Clara and it was always hard to exactly how much she actually took in of what anybody said to her. She reacted more to tone of voice and facial expressions than meanings of words and she loved the way Clara spoke to her: she somehow knew that the prim and proper young woman talked to her with as much care and attention and integrity as she did to anyone in full possession of their faculties. Arabella once said “Ol’ Bridg is like a sheet of blotting paper: kinda blank and empty lookin’ but she sort of sucks in your words. And when you look at what you just said, they look sort of funny and back to front. She don’t talk back and it kinda makes you think about what you just said.”

“Pike’s lost badge!” Bridget suddenly changed the subject which took Clara off guard for a brief instant. 

"Oh no, I am confident he has not. You see he is not on duty but simply attending to celebrate the wedding with his wife. Deputies do not wear badges when they are not officially at work," Clara tried to hopefully explain for her.

Wide blue eyes drank in Clara’s lovely round face and her cherry pink lips as she kindly explained some complicated reason, involving concepts that were either high above or far below those of  Bridget’s world, why the coveted metal badge was not on view today. As per usual, the redhead's attention was now chasing another butterfly thought that had flitted past her in the flower garden of her mind. She reached out a hand and laid it gently on Clara’s tummy.

“Clara make … good Mama.” she said reassuringly, wise simpleton that she was.

@Wayfarer

"I've been to Texas, nearly a lifetime ago." he told the deputy, as a less-than-subtle attempt to change the subject.

"Texas? Where at, big place, Texas. Days I miss it, other days, glad I'm shut of it." He said. "Rode with the Eighth Texas durin' the late trouble, Rangered a while. After that I just moseyed place to place til I got here." He smiled. "Looks like that angel servin' up them eats over there's gonna settle me down some." Referring to Emeline. Da-'er, dern good woman she is."

Texas crossed his mind now and again, but it was not where he would travel to, probably ever again. He was home in Kalispell, fact he was building it, married, lookin' forward to children, ranching. Raising prime beef and strong horses.

There were those days of running fights along the border with banditos, Kiowas, Apaches, or Comanches. Chasing down outlaws. Kalispell was a welcome relief from those days, though it too had seen trouble.

"You planning on stayin' here a while?" He asked

@boshmi

Everything was going quite well, despite the minor complications, but all the folks her were happy to come together and make due with what they had.  The food was good, the music lively, and they were all having a good time.

With the meal wrapping up -- except for the cake, of course -- amusement had not turned to dancing, and Emeline happy to get in a little fast-stepping.

"Are you up for a dance, Mr. Pike?" she asked Barnabas, holding a hand to him, "as husband and wife, of course!" 

Yes, they'd danced at their own wedding as a married couple, but this was the first time since then that they'd have that chance with others.

@Flip

• JulieS locked this topic