Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

Tea and Crumpets

Mid-May, Mid-Afternoon

+++++++++++

With the invitation that had been extended to Miss Leah Steelgrave a few week prior excepted, and the date and time set, Emeline had closed the cafe for the afternoon, so she could concentrate on the meeting, and getting to know the other young woman.  Rather than the usual fare, she had made small sandwiches and pastries, more in the tradition of high tea than cafe food, but it was a special occasion, and frankly, she had embraced the chance to do something different, and to have something different to eat.

Now, with a table set, and her dress changed to a nice dress without apron, she was just awaiting the arrival of the other young woman...and her bodyguards, that Barnabas had told her were always with her...Emeline had set up a table on the front porch, and was ready to feed them as well.

@Flip

Leah Steelgrave had been somewhat surprised by the written invitation to tea at the Lickskillet. If she she was right the woman, Emeline Blakesley, was Deputy Pike's fiance. She dressed accordingly, it was a tea after all, and certainly a welcome change. Not that she minded luncheons or dinners, but a tea, now that was refreshing.

Once satisfied with her appearance she took up  a parasol and stepped out into the daylight. Tree men got on their feet and started for main street. To those in toe it matter not at all where she was going, she was moving, they were moving. There had been no threats against her, as yet. But that also mattered not in the least.

When the arrived  the men went across the street where thy could keep an eye on the cafe and the street. Leah opened the door, setting the bell to tinkling. "Hello." She called out and closed the door.

@Bongo

"Miss Steelgrave!"  Smiling brightly, Emeline crossed the room to greet the young woman.  "I'm Emeline Blakesley, please, call me Emeline.  I'm so glad you could make it, I've been wanting to meet you ever since I heard about your projects."

She led the way to the single dressed table that was set with a crisp white cloth, Emeline's own tea set, and plates set with quartered, crustless finger sandwiches -- cucumber and cheese, egg salad, and roast beef -- as well as scones, clotted cream, marmalade and shortbread.

"Please, have a seat.  Do you mind if I offer a tray to your...gentlemen?  I've made coffee for them, instead of tea."  It was absurd enough that the gruff men would be munching on dinky sandwiches and scones!

@Flip

"I believe they would appreciate the gesture. Men do like their coffee." Leah replied. "I told them I'd be just fine but they have little trust in my safety most times. The fact is, they are likely across the street where they can see everything. I must say tho, I do appreciate your thoughtfulness. This is very nice indeed."

That Missus Blakesley not only had gone to the trouble for preparing what actually amounted to a high tea, the consideration of her 'shadows,' which were not all the popular everywhere in town.

"Then again, they could be just outside, if you want to check. I sometimes loose track of them, though they never loose track of me." She added.

@Bongo

"I believe they would appreciate the gesture. Men do like their coffee." Leah replied. "I told them I'd be just fine but they have little trust in my safety most times. The fact is, they are likely across the street where they can see everything. I must say tho, I do appreciate your thoughtfulness. This is very nice indeed."

"Of course, it's no problem."  Emeline smiled, then shrugged.  "Besides, I know they helped the Law the other day, so I owe them a debt of gratitude."

"Then again, they could be just outside, if you want to check. I sometimes loose track of them, though they never loose track of me." She added.

"I'll check, it shouldn't take but a minute."  There was already a tray prepared, with a generous amount of the finger sandwiches, scones, jams and creme, as well as coffee and pressed red napkins.  "Please, help yourself to tea or coffee."

There was a table on the front porch, and she set the tray on that, then crossed the street to address the men.  "Gentlemen, I have some coffee and food set out for you, if you'd like."  She could bring it here, but there was no table to put anything on.

@Flip

They were on their feet, actually removing their hats. They looked to one another when Bannister said, "Coffee'd be just fine Ma'am. Appreciate you'd think of us."

She had set up a table which was somewhat obscured by the three men, allowing for her forgetting she had put it there. "Yes Ma'am, if you need a hand I'll be glad to lend it, carry that on out for ya." Santee offered.

These were hard men, but as was the case in those days, they softened pretty quickly to any act of kindness from a woman, and around town it was known that Emeline was a lady. It mattered not at all that she was the Deputy's betrothed, there would be no disrespect shown for any woman. Except maybe the "sportin' women" found in most frontier towns.

@Bongo

"Thank you, of course."  Emeline gave the men a nod, then led the way back across the street and handed a tray to one of the men.  It was a little comical to see the rough gunman carrying a tray of treats, but she knew no one was going to bother them.  She carried the coffee pot, setting it down on the table.

"If you need anything else, let me know."  She had no reservations being around men like this, she had grow accustomed to gruff mannerisms, and learned that a vast majority of men in the mines and camps, despite their education or upbringing, treated ladies with respect out her, moreso than she'd expect in a big city.

Back in the cafe, she apologized to Leah, then took a seat across from her.  "I'm sorry for the delay.  But I'm glad you came by, I don't have time to join the Ladies Society, but I did want to know more about your ideas.  I think it will be great for the town."

@Flip

"I'm sorry for the delay.  But I'm glad you came by, I don't have time to join the Ladies Society, but I did want to know more about your ideas.  I think it will be great for the town."

"No please, that was very kind of you." Leah said with a smile, she enjoyed seeing Santee carrying that tray across the street, and woe to anyone who laughed at him. "Well, what is it you'd like to know about the project?" She asked with a smile. "It seems all I get to do is talk about it, town government moves slowly." She was pleasant enough, no use being bitter, but it was true, things outside her control were moving at a snails pace.

"The project is to get a hospital built and then, an orphanage." She explained simply. "My, but you set  a beautiful table. May I call you Emeline? please, do call me Leah."

@Bongo

"Oh, of course you can call me Emeline."  She smiled widely as she poured them drinks, leaving it to Leah to add her own cream and sugar.  "Please, help yourself.  And first names are easiest, since I'll be changing my last name in a few days."

A tint came to her cheeks as her smile widened.  "Mr. Pike and I are marrying on Friday.  You can come, if you'd like."  She offered a plate laden with a variety of small quarter sandwiches.  "It's a relatively small affair, rather informal."

"I've heard about the hospital and orphanage," she continued, "both are wonderful ideas, especially after what happened in Whitefish this past winter.  I think a proper hospital might have made a difference."

@Flip

"Oh, of course you can call me Emeline."  She smiled widely as she poured them drinks, leaving it to Leah to add her own cream and sugar.  "Please, help yourself.  And first names are easiest, since I'll be changing my last name in a few days."

"Oh how wonderful! I am happy for you." Leah responded genuinely.

A tint came to her cheeks as her smile widened.  "Mr. Pike and I are marrying on Friday.  You can come, if you'd like."  She offered a plate laden with a variety of small quarter sandwiches.  "It's a relatively small affair, rather informal."

"I would be delighted to attend. Thank you so much. I'm afraid I have very few social engagements to attend, and after the disaster that was the Kalispell Ladies meeting, well I'm sure you've heard all about that."

"I've heard about the hospital and orphanage," she continued, "both are wonderful ideas, especially after what happened in Whitefish this past winter.  I think a proper hospital might have made a difference."

Yes, to be sure, a proper hospital would have been invaluable. I would wager to say that many lives that were lost, could well have been saved, not to mention the day to day accidents and sickness that confront folks that the hospital might benefit." Leah agreed.

"The sad part of this entire project is all that is needed is a simple land swap. I was able to purchase the right of ways where necessary, and the rest were granted to me by the Territorial Government. So you see, it is within reach of becoming a reality, if the Town Council ever gets around to meeting."

@Bongo

• JulieS locked this topic