• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Emeline nodded silently as the rabbit was pointed out, slowly taking the rifle from Barnabas.  She'd done some hunting, but it had been a while, so she wasn't too sure of her skill, especially with and unfamiliar weapon.  At least they weren't going to starve if she missed.   Bringing the weapon up, she took careful aim, but then muttered, "But Barnabas, he's so cute!  Can't we keep him?"   Then she squeezed the trigger, causing the rabbit to jump.  But as he leapt up and spun, he tumbled back and went limp, falling to the dirt in a motionless heap.   "No pet bunny," Emeline sighed, handing the rifle back.  "Build me a fire and I'll cook you a rabbit!"    @Flip        
    • "I'm sorry Clara.  Maybe I should have made my intentions more clearer but I thought you were and are still too young.  To say that I am pleased about your marriage would be a lie."   Clara frowned but that sounded turned into a glare. And after she had just told him she wished for the very best for his new law career.   "The only thing I can offer you is that I hope that your husband will do his best when the future comes and that you won't suffer if he doesn't."   She was not going to stand here and be hurt like this. Oh, she wanted to say more but what good would it do and what difference would it make? None.   "We are done here. I will never make the same mistake again of trying to talk to you. We have nothing further to say. Good day to you, Deputy," she said thru gritted teeth then stepped to one side of him and kept on walking.  
    • Brendan flew over the crest of the rise on Fiona with the rest of the riders and tried to pick out the rustlers from where their gunshots were coming from. It was hard, with the intermittent flashes from the gunfire giving only a little clarity to their attacker's figures. He rode bent low on Fiona's neck and stretched his pistol out in front of him. Somewhere on the way to the paddocks he had lost track of José, but there was no time to worry about him now.   A spattering of gunfire came from ahead and in the resulting light, he caught sight of a fellow on a horse across the paddock. He pointed his pistol and squeezed the trigger once. In the dark, with the motion of his horse, and the uncertainty of the whole situation, there was no way of knowing if his shot would even hit. He shot again in hopes that he would at least hit something.   Shooting in the dark was a lot different than shooting at rattlesnakes or beer bottles in the daytime, and neither of those things he'd practiced on ever shot back. These men would shoot back.
    • Brendan chuckled. "Dream? Nah, my dream is to lay around all day with nothin' to do. But this ain't so bad." Now that he thought about it, he didn't really have a dream. Besides being rich someday. There wasn't anything wrong with drifting, but it certainly wasn't the dream.   He led the way into the stable and pointed to an empty stall. "That one can be hers. Oats are in the corner over there if she wants any." He pointed this time to a large sack labeled "oats" stacked on several others like it.   Then he went over to his horse's stall. "This here's Fiona. She's mine." He patted her chestnut nose fondly and entered the stall to start putting her tack on. He was in no hurry to get out on the range, and José's horse needed some time to be fed and watered, so he took his time and even brushed Fiona's coat a bit before putting the saddle on.   "You ever ridden for a place this big before?" he asked, glancing back at the Mexican. It was highly unlikely. Steelgrave had one of the biggest places in Montana and probably in the whole of the territories. Probably.
    • Jay was listening, Addy was pleased with that, and he seemed to understand what she was trying to say, and that made her happy, but then he hesitated and she tried to explain a bit more.   "Yer different, Jay, I didn't never think any man could..."   But then he took her hand and was kneeling in front of her, and her head started screaming, 'No, no, no...don't...'  But her heart was soaring, and her head eagerly followed...   "Addy, do you want to become my wife?"   "I do that."  Grinning, she nodded and squeezed his hands, then pulling him up into a hug.  As much as she had resisted, she'd been wanting this for some time, and she knew he had too, so as quiet and simple as this was, it was all she'd ever hoped for.   And since the words had already been said, it was time to kiss, so she did!   @Jack        

Posted (edited)

"One thing to keep in mind, Em, may I call you Em? it's 1876, there are bad men running free, like Case and his ilk. There are Indians out, though I don't believe they have ever raided a town, but ranches and farms, most certainly. So we are quite a ways from being a civilized town such as Helena, Great Falls, Missoula, even Virginia City. Not that Virginia City is all that civilized. So the addition of a tea, that would bring the feeling  of a civilized town."

She smiled, "Business woman? Of that I have my doubts. I doubt anyone else would have the problems building a hospital that I have, based solely on my father, whom you may have noticed I am not. But, if not here, then somewhere that is more, shall we say, receptive to the idea."

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

"Yes, you can call me Em, and yes, you could take your efforts elsewhere," she smiled, "but you haven't, and I think there's more to that than wanting to show your father you can do it."

Well, maybe she was being presumptuous, but it had to be easier for Leah to go somewhere where she wouldn't be judged by her name.  "Anyway, I think it's admirable, it will certainly benefit the community, and I've no doubt you'll find all the support you need."

Then she smiled shyly.  "And within a year, I mean, just in case I'm in need of a doctor once Mr. Pike and I are married."

@Flip

"Oh, this is hardly about showing my father anything, up too and including the building of anything. The county needs a hospital as it is growing, not just here in Kalispell, but all over the county. And you are right, I haven't taken the idea, the grants, and other financial support for this idea elsewhere, yet." She agreed. "That's not to say I wouldn't."

"Really Em, it's been five months now, there has been no Town Council meeting, that I'm aware of. None of those who are on the council have spoken with me about the project, which to me, is a clear message. Oh, and yes, I'm sure that you will need a doctor, and this town is fortunate to have Doctor Danforth to treat the citizens of this area, he and Doctor Boone. Both are a part of the plans for the hospital. But i any case, you'll be in good hands."

@Bongo

"Yes, I've heard good things about Dr. Danforth, and he's always quite the gentleman when he comes in here."  Emeline nodded.  They were lucky to have two doctors so close by.  "But...I mean, in case something happens, it would be reassuring to have a hospital here."

A doctor was good, but if he didn't have access to the equipment necessary, he could only do so much. 

"I lost a pregnancy shortly after our daughter died," Emeline admitted quietly, "and I'm terrified it will happen again."  Barnabas knew about the children, but she would never tell him of her fears, and she did her best to hang onto hope and the future.

@Flip

• Made Me Cry! 1

Leah demeanor changed when Emeline told her of her loss of a child and her fears of that happening again. It was nothing she had experienced or had experience with. Though she could almost feel that pain.

"I'm so sorry to hear that, Em. It had to be devastating, and I can certainly understand the fear you're experiencing for the future. Yet I believe that everything will work out for the best with you and Mister Pike. It sounds like the two of you are already very happy together. Happiness and joy can overcome a lot, well, so I've been told." It was not as if she had much experience with happiness and joy either in her life.

"The hospital would make so many things better, safer, and, once it is up and staffed we could open clinics with the doctors in the towns around the county. If only."

@Bongo

"I have to hold to positive thoughts or I'll just go crazy."  Emeline smiled and shook her head, adding, "I just can't believe that God brought us together without intending us some happiness."  Never mind that she was a widow who had lost two children.

"Anyway, I just look forward to the future, but yes, a hospital will give me some peace of mind.  Of course, I realize that even once construction starts, it will be a long time before it's operational."  She shrugged.  "But once it is, it will certainly benefit a lot of people."

Maybe Andrew, or Chloe could have been saved by a proper doctor?  But then, those had been steps toward a future that she was looking forward to.

"I've even heard that Miss Addy drove ambulances during the war...maybe there can be a special wagon set up to serve as an ambulance?  For patients out on the ranches and farms who can't otherwise be safely moved?" 

@Flip

"I have to hold to positive thoughts or I'll just go crazy."  Emeline smiled and shook her head, adding, "I just can't believe that God brought us together without intending us some happiness."  Never mind that she was a widow who had lost two children.

"Positive thoughts can be hard to come by, well, not always, but sometimes out here. I mean Kalispell is really all we have with Whitefish gone, not that it was a place with any civility for the most part. This town is small, and there are times when I know it feels like it's closing in on me, but for you? You and Deputy Pike will most certainly find all the happiness there is." She assure her.

"Anyway, I just look forward to the future, but yes, a hospital will give me some peace of mind.  Of course, I realize that even once construction starts, it will be a long time before it's operational."  She shrugged.  "But once it is, it will certainly benefit a lot of people."

"I began this venture thinking everyone would certainly be in favor of the project. And in reality, why shouldn't they be? It is for the benefit of the community and the county, yet here we sit after six months of waiting on a Town Council meeting that appears like a meeting is not on the horizon." Leah responded somewhat dejectedly.

Maybe Andrew, or Chloe could have been saved by a proper doctor?  But then, those had been steps toward a future that she was looking forward to.

"I've even heard that Miss Addy drove ambulances during the war...maybe there can be a special wagon set up to serve as an ambulance?  For patients out on the ranches and farms who can't otherwise be safely moved?" 

"Oh yes." She seemed to brighten up at the mention of Addy Chapple, "I know of her exploits and yes, a part of the plan is for an ambulance. It just means finding the right wagon to convert is the only problem and that is minor. Why, with Addy's expertise it will actually not be a problem at all, even if some modification is required." She explained.

@Bongo

"Six months?"  Frowning, Emeline looked up at Leah.  "Aren't there some sort of regulations on how often they meet?"  She was starting to get ideas!  "Aren't they paid?  How can they call themselves a council if they don't...counce?"

She laughed and shook her head.  "Can anyone demand they meet?  Especially after so long?  I believe I'll ask for a meeting, or have Mr. McVey investigate why they aren't doing their job!"

Seemed like something she could do, not only was she a citizen, but a business owner as well, so she should have some sort of right to cause a fuss.

@Flip

• Made Me Laugh! 1

"Six months?"  Frowning, Emeline looked up at Leah.  "Aren't there some sort of regulations on how often they meet?"  She was starting to get ideas!  "Aren't they paid?  How can they call themselves a council if they don't...counce?"

"Six months, yes, that's how long they have sat on the right of ways. How long they have ignored the trade offer, because we certain;y have no agreement."  Leah was a bit more spirited about this.

She laughed and shook her head.  "Can anyone demand they meet?  Especially after so long?  I believe I'll ask for a meeting, or have Mr. McVey investigate why they aren't doing their job!"

"I have meant to go to Phinias, I have, and just have not followed through. But I must, it's long past time to bring them up short!"

Seemed like something she could do, not only was she a citizen, but a business owner as well, so she should have some sort of right to cause a fuss.

"I don't mean to involve you in this war I'm having. War, well, perhaps a conflict of words and not an actual war, but perhaps instead of looking where I might be more welcome, I take the fight to them however and wherever I can. I no longer use this bank because I no longer trust it, or it's management." She scowled, "Yes! I will see Mister McVay first thing in the morning and get this show on the road!"

@Bongo

"I can do it, if you'd like," Emeline offered, "I don't mind, and I don't have any stake in the project, so no one can say he's favoring your request."  Not that she thought that either Leah nor the reporter would care one whit, but folks could use it against her, that she was in cahoots with the paper.

"Or I could at least go with you, give you some moral support."  Emeline didn't want Leah to think she was alone in this, and Emeline knew how difficult it was for a woman to be heard, and more, to be taken seriously, not that she doubted Leah's passion.  But that didn't mean the folks on the town council would give her any credence.

@Flip

"Mister McVay has been a friend throughout this whole ordeal, so yes, actually we could go and see him. It would be nice having you with me while we tend to this plea for help." Then she laughed. "I tend to fight my own battles, and sometimes I fail to use whatever is available to me, such as the paper."

It was nice to have another woman on her side, and she was sure that most women liked the hospital idea, while some would be against the idea of her being involved, yet if not her? Who? No one else had pursued the idea of a hospital.

"Yes we should go, it needs to be made clear that the Steelgrave name will not be on the hospital, or the orphanage, and Leah Steelgrave will not be any part of the Hospital Board of Directors headed by Doctor Jonah Danforth, who will select the other members. We have spoken of this already."

"I understand about not asking for help."  Emeline shrugged.  "I had to take care of myself after my husband died, and it's been so long now...well, it becomes a bit of habit, to try to do things on your own and not ask for help until you really need it."  There would be an adjustment to having a husband again, although Barnabas had been helping her out long enough now that she would more readily ask for help.

"We should go now!" Emeline suddenly declared, "gather some sandwiches, scones and jam and bribe him!"  It might be poor sportsmanship to ambush the man, but then, a peace offering should smooth things over, right?

@Flip