Total Topics
    Total Posts

A Little, Tiny Favor

Mature Content: No

With: Jay Ryker
When: Mid-May 1875
Time of Day: Morning

content-divider.png

It had been a couple weeks since Weedy had talked to Jemima, who had talked to his mother, and had told him that he needed to find her grave and let her know that he wanted her to go to Heaven, and that he'd be all right.  But all the adults had been so busy, and besides, it had taken him some time to work up the courage to ask someone to take him to Whitefish...or what was left of it.

A couple of times, the boy had even thought about going on his own, taking Arabesque while Addy was out on the stage, but it was so far, and even though he was pretty sure he could make it there and back in a day, he had no idea how to find where his ma was buried, and besides, there was something a bit unsettling about in a cemetery alone.

Finally, he tracked Jay down where he was working, and approached him.  "Hey!"  He grinned at the man, wishing he could be his pa, maybe, and sort of wondering why he and Miss Addy weren't married.  But, not his business.  "I have a little, tiny favor?"

((I might need to edit this a bit if Jay ever proposes to Addy!))

@Jack

Guest Jack

Jay was almost done with his work today. He'd been working on some door hinges the whole day and had put the last finishing touches on them to make them nice and smooth.

Washing his hands in a barell out front he saw Weedy approach. The boy had really grown on him, so he smiled when he saw him and asked.

"Afternoon, lad. What favour is that?"

He took a cup of water to drink and offered the kid some, then reached for some apples. One of the older ladies in town had an apple tree in her yard and ever since he'd fixed her stove, she was bringing over apples or sometimes pie.

"Hungry?"

"Yes, sir!"  Weddy got plenty to eat, but he was a growing boy, right, so there was never enough, and fresh apples were great...and Arabesque would like the core.  "Thank you."

As for his mission here, he wasn't sure how to go about it...not that he'd be deterred if Jay said no, but he'd rather not go alone.  "Um...I want to go to Whitefish."  He shrugged and bit into the apple.  "I want to see where my Ma is." 

He hoped that didn't sound too gruesome, and it really hadn't been anything that he'd thought about before this, but now that it had been suggested, and the sting of the shock of losing her had dulled, he really did want to go.

@Jack

Guest Jack

Jay gladly shared the apple with the boy just like everything else.

His announcement to go to Whitefish was a surprise but his reasoning perfectly understandable.

Unfortunately Whitefish was off limits to Jay. Too many people could have seen him with the gang and just because granny Miggins wasn't going to rat him out, not everyone felt the same.

And why are you telling me this? You want me to come?

How could he refuse tis without looking heartless?

He needed Addy.

I understand why you want to go there. Let me talk to Addy.

And why are you telling me this? You want me to come?

"Don't want to go alone."  He shrugged.  It was a long way, at least for a kid, and while he was sure he could make it to the deserted town and back in a day, it seemed daunting.  And that was something else...

As far as he had heard, after the blizzard had knocked down some of the buildings, there had been a fire, and the place had been deserted.  Many of the survivors had come here to Kalispell, and some had just moved on elsewhere.  But, the idea of going to a place that had been a town, but now wasn't, gave him the heebie-jeebies, not to mention that he wanted to go to a cemetery, and that meant dead bodies, and that meant there could be spirits.

I understand why you want to go there. Let me talk to Addy.

"No!"  The boy looked up at Jay, alarmed.  He had a feeling that Miss Addy would never let him do that, although that wasn't what he said.  "No," he repeated more quietly, "I don't want her to think I don't like her as a ma now, that I miss my real ma more...and that she's not my real ma..."

Come to think of it, there was some truth in that, too

@Jack

Guest Jack

Jay took a moment to sit the kid down and look at him with stern eyes. "Addy loves you and she would understand. It's perfectly fine that you miss your mom. Because...well, she was your mother."

He wouldn't argue any more with Weedy but he'd still ask Addy what she thought.

"Don't worry. I'll figure it out. You won't have to go alone. Maybe we can do iton Sunday."

With that he turned away and started cleaning up his tools.

When he was done he pulled the door closed and gave Weedy a nudge.

"Let's go see Miss Adelaide."

"Yes, sir."  Weedy knew that what Jay had said was right, if Addy didn't love him and care about him, she wouldn't have bought them a whole house and changed the way she was living.  But...if she knew that he was on a mission from Miss Jemima to free his mom's spirit from its earthly ties, so she and the Angel Chloe could go to Heaven...well, she might not like that.

Of course, he didn't have to tell them that that was his goal.

Sighing, he reached up and took Jay's hand as they headed for the barn.  "Thank you, Jay."

At the big stage barn, Addy was in a stall, brushing down one of the big draft horses, and she looked over as the pair walked in.

"Whatter you two up to?" she asked, grinning.  "Come ta rescue me from all this work?"

@Jack

"Maybe." Jay smirked and walked over to her but reminded himself not to get affectionate in Weedys presence.

Once the boy was gone, he told her about his plans.

"He thinks you'll get upset if he wants to go...but I know you won't. Right?" Hopefully he knew her well enough to be the judge of that.

"I can't go there with him but I didn't have the heart to tell him a lie. How do I explain that I'm worried about being seen over there? It was bad enough when that old lady dragged me onto her property but at least that without anyone around."

Jay had made up his mind. He would bring Weedy to the hill overlooking the city but no further.

"Either you go...show the kid you don't mind, or I'll bring him half way."

"Ain't gonna let  him go by himself," Addy declared, shrugging.  "Ya know no one really lives there any more, right?"  Not that she could blame him for not wanting to go back to 'the scene of the crime', and she respected that he didn't want to lie to Weedy.

"Been wonderin' when he was gonna ask."  Addy shrugged.  "It's a good thing, ain't it?  Boy ought not be mad at his Ma all his life.  I can take him, yeah, that ain't a problem."

Moving closer, she gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.  "Thanks fer helpin' with him.  He needs a good man ta emulate, so's he'll grow up right."  The lad had started life at a disadvantage, and even though he still didn't have the best of circumstances, Addy was going to do her best with him, and she had good help in the likes of Jay, Speed, Dr. Danforth, and even F. Falmer Browne.

@Jack

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jack

"That's quite alright."

It didn't feel good to let her take Weedy all the way there when the boy had asked him. To Weedy it had to look like Jay didn't wantbto support him.

"I could accompany you most of the way and the pay the old lady a visit. Make sure her fence is alright and she's happy."

At least he'd be there for most of the way in case Indians crossed their path.

"I want to show him that he's got me, too."

• JulieS locked this topic