Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "I'm sorry Clara.  Maybe I should have made my intentions more clearer but I thought you were and are still too young.  To say that I am pleased about your marriage would be a lie."   Clara frowned but that sounded turned into a glare. And after she had just told him she wished for the very best for his new law career.   "The only thing I can offer you is that I hope that your husband will do his best when the future comes and that you won't suffer if he doesn't."   She was not going to stand here and be hurt like this. Oh, she wanted to say more but what good would it do and what difference would it make? None.   "We are done here. I will never make the same mistake again of trying to talk to you. We have nothing further to say. Good day to you, Deputy," she said thru gritted teeth then stepped to one side of him and kept on walking.  
    • Brendan flew over the crest of the rise on Fiona with the rest of the riders and tried to pick out the rustlers from where their gunshots were coming from. It was hard, with the intermittent flashes from the gunfire giving only a little clarity to their attacker's figures. He rode bent low on Fiona's neck and stretched his pistol out in front of him. Somewhere on the way to the paddocks he had lost track of José, but there was no time to worry about him now.   A spattering of gunfire came from ahead and in the resulting light, he caught sight of a fellow on a horse across the paddock. He pointed his pistol and squeezed the trigger once. In the dark, with the motion of his horse, and the uncertainty of the whole situation, there was no way of knowing if his shot would even hit. He shot again in hopes that he would at least hit something.   Shooting in the dark was a lot different than shooting at rattlesnakes or beer bottles in the daytime, and neither of those things he'd practiced on ever shot back. These men would shoot back.
    • Brendan chuckled. "Dream? Nah, my dream is to lay around all day with nothin' to do. But this ain't so bad." Now that he thought about it, he didn't really have a dream. Besides being rich someday. There wasn't anything wrong with drifting, but it certainly wasn't the dream.   He led the way into the stable and pointed to an empty stall. "That one can be hers. Oats are in the corner over there if she wants any." He pointed this time to a large sack labeled "oats" stacked on several others like it.   Then he went over to his horse's stall. "This here's Fiona. She's mine." He patted her chestnut nose fondly and entered the stall to start putting her tack on. He was in no hurry to get out on the range, and José's horse needed some time to be fed and watered, so he took his time and even brushed Fiona's coat a bit before putting the saddle on.   "You ever ridden for a place this big before?" he asked, glancing back at the Mexican. It was highly unlikely. Steelgrave had one of the biggest places in Montana and probably in the whole of the territories. Probably.
    • Jay was listening, Addy was pleased with that, and he seemed to understand what she was trying to say, and that made her happy, but then he hesitated and she tried to explain a bit more.   "Yer different, Jay, I didn't never think any man could..."   But then he took her hand and was kneeling in front of her, and her head started screaming, 'No, no, no...don't...'  But her heart was soaring, and her head eagerly followed...   "Addy, do you want to become my wife?"   "I do that."  Grinning, she nodded and squeezed his hands, then pulling him up into a hug.  As much as she had resisted, she'd been wanting this for some time, and she knew he had too, so as quiet and simple as this was, it was all she'd ever hoped for.   And since the words had already been said, it was time to kiss, so she did!   @Jack        
    • Miriam duly reported her sale of the pair of gloves so that her employer could put it down in the books, accurate accounting was important in any business such as this one. He seemed pleased but suddenly informed her he had a 'tip'.   "Oh? Of course, sir," she duly nodded.   "Whenever you sell kid gloves, ask the customer if they'd like to buy some special cleaning spirit of  turpentine, special offer 50 cents!" He rummaged on a shelf and brought down a fancy bottle of blue glass.   "Fifty cents?" that seemed expensive to her reckoning, though she could hardly claim any expertise in such things.   "It' just ordinary turps, 10 cents a bucket from the general store, but some ladies'll buy anything as long as it comes in a pretty container."   "I see," she duly noted though to her it did seem a bit.......dishonest? Still he was the boss, far be it for her to challenge him, "I will remember that in the future, sir."   "Hmmm, Miss Lutz. Was she trying to get you to go to Church?"   Miriam had not seen that coming alright.   "She mentioned how active my friend, Arabella...you know...Miss Mudd...the one who came with Miss Mundee...........is in their church and encouraged me to come sometime to hear and see for myself'" Miriam dutifully answered.   "I told her Papa would not approve."  And to her that settled the matter then and there.  
Jonah Danforth

Voices are Calling From Far Away

Mature Content: I hope not!

With: Pettigrew, Arabella
When: Mid-July / 1876
Time of Day: Morning

content-divider.png

Word had been sent to Miss Arabella Mudd to make her aware of her appointment in the morning, and she'd sent word back that she would be there.  Jonah had made sure that there was a room set aside at the rear of the building, where it would be quieter.  The windows were covered to block most of the light, and candles were providing flickering light.

The aroma of fresh baking bread wafted from the kitchen, and Mrs. Towberman had some small cakes and cookies set out.

Now it was a matter of awaiting the other players in the drama!

@Javia; @boshmi

Posted (edited)

Worchester Pettigrew prided himself on his promptitude and at 8:55am precisely rapped on the good doctor's front door with his walking cane. The young nurse that answered it, he gave the usual once over. He was really looking for some good, properly plump, curvaceous models to show off his latest creations: but all the young women around here were positively emaciated looking. Unfortunately this one was was cut from the same meagre pattern as the rest. 

"Mr. Pettigrew, Doctor Danforth is expecting me!" he announced himself tersely. He wanted to get in and settled to this operation so he could put down the heavy carpet bag he held in his other hand.

Her clothes, he noted, were neat and adequately hand sewn; she was probably too poor to buy a dress from his store.

@boshmi

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

If there was ever so unsettling a sensation as that of being regarded by an almost-stranger, Aoife had yet to discover what it could possibly have been. Worchester Pettigrew, the town's authority on the arcane would have not ordinarily have had a place within the Kalispell Doctor's Office, but she had been informed that these were not ordinary circumstances. The whole Arabella affair seemed so far removed from medical practice that she found herself beginning to wonder if it might be a more spiritual than physical ailment.

Ah well, don't ask, don't tell.

"Mr. Pettigrew, Doctor Danforth is expecting me!" announced the stumpy man after an excruciating few moments of ogling, during which time Aoife leaned against the doorframe in exasperation. She had grown used to the overtly sexual nature of the male gaze, especially sharing the same four walls with Hector Wigfall, but Mr. Pettigrew's wandering eyes seemed almost mercenary. Somehow, it was worse.

"Of course. This way please." she replied politely, as she pushed the door wide for him to enter. "The doctor is just in the back, if you'll follow me..."

@Bongo@Javia

Less than five minutes later, there was a less strident, weedy little knock at the door: perhaps Aoife should have swapped her Nurse’s garb for that of a Doorman! Outside was Arabella, dressed in her usual black, although the once perfect dress was starting to become a little worn. It was supposed to be just for her funerary photography work, but the Clinch Mountain girl now wore it every time she went out, having decided that the colour, or rather tone suited her. It didn’t: it made her pale skin look even more corpse-like than usual. But when your fashion advisers were Bridget Monahan and Jemima Wigfall, well, God help you!

If Arabella had been standoffish toward Aoife yesterday, when she had virtually ignored the Irish girl as she hurried into and out of Doctor Danforth’s office, today she was more effusive, even going so far as to apologise for her previous rude behaviour.

“Hello, it’s me. I’m here for my operation. Sorry if I was rude and didn’t say much yesterday, I was just worried out of my mind with something, but I’m going to get it fixed today with Doctor Danforth’s help, and then I’ll be all right. Say, you live at the Wigfall’s don’t you? I’m pals with Jemima Wigfall.” She seemed much cheerier than yesterday, even if dark circles around her eyes indicated that she had either been too excited or too worried about this ‘operation’ to get much sleep last night.

@Bongo @boshmi

Jonah was waiting in the room, and thanked Aoife for her help.  He knew the young woman was curious, but also that she'd not intrude or mention anything, even as much as he was itching to talk about it to someone!

"Mr. Pettigrew, thank you for coming."  Jonah smiled as he let the man into the room, quietly closing the door behind them.  "I have everything ready, the young lady should be here shortly."  Letting out a breath, he added, "If I can help..?"  He wouldn't mind seeing what the process was all about, but he wasn't sure the man would want to reveal his secrets.

@Javia; @boshmi

Posted (edited)

No sooner had Aoife returned to the frontmost rooms of the practice than the second knock sounded at the door. She opened it with her usual propensity, to reveal little Miss Mudd; dressed in the trappings of a widow.

“Hello, it’s me. I’m here for my operation. Sorry if I was rude and didn’t say much yesterday, I was just worried out of my mind with something, but I’m going to get it fixed today with Doctor Danforth’s help, and then I’ll be all right."

Aoife begun to say something dismissive like 'don't worry about it' but Arabella continued on, with that unending run-on-sentence in which she spoke.

"Say, you live at the Wigfall’s don’t you? I’m pals with Jemima Wigfall.”

"Oh?" Aoife said, coercing a look of fraternity onto her face. "She's... a character."

She might have had more to say on the matter, but decided to let it lie, given that Arabella was in fact here to have an operation of some kind. It wouldn't have been very professional to chase her away at the door with commentary on her cohorts.

"Mr. Pettigrew and Doctor Danforth are waiting for you in the back." she told Arabella quickly, so as not to elaborate any further on the exact characteristics of Jemima Wigfall. Once more she opened the door wide and led the girl inside, to where a procedure of some unknown importance awaited.

@Javia@Bongo

Edited by boshmi (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Pettigrew was affable enough with Dr. Danforth but somewhat dismissive of his well meaning efforts at providing a suitable ambience in the room. He immediately threw open the drapes and pinched out the candles with his bare fingers: an easy enough feat for the resolute.

“Oh, we shall not require the mummeries of the Séance, Doctor, no indeed. The pure light of science will illuminate our operations this morning.” He declaimed “And please do stay, I hope you will find the procedure interesting, if we are successful. In fact, if she is willing…”

The Door opened and a slightly frightened looking Arabella entered, clutching her purse for dear life, followed by nurse Leane.

“… ah yes, if your charming nurse would stay also, for reasons of propriety. Miss Mudd, if we succeed, will be quite insensible for much of the time; with two gentlemen present I believe the presence of a chaperone would be meet.” Said the man who spent a great deal of his working life alone with his hands all over half naked women!

“Hello Mr Pettigrew, is you the feller that knows how to do the mesmerizin’?” Arabella asked amazed.

“I have that honour, Miss Mudd.” Replied Pettigrew in his light Louisiana accent “And have no fear, the process will not impair your remarkable abilities on the pianoforte and neither shall I implant any notions in your head to spend more than your customary few cents a week in my store!” he jested lightly, in order to put her at ease.

“Oooh, what’s that?” she asked nervously, pointing at the Zoescope on the table.

“Oh, just a little toy to amuse you and make you feel at ease before we get down to business.” Worchester explained gently. “Do take a seat here next to me and I shall show the thing, it really is quite amusing.”

As Arabella sat, he shot Danforth and Aoife a look which said, in no uncertain terms, Don’t believe a word of it, the game is now officially ON. 

220px-Zoetrope.jpg

@Bongo @boshmi

"Miss Mudd, I hope you are feeling well."  Jonah smiled to the young girl, sincerely hoping that when she left today, she would be free of her affliction.  He held a chair for her, then one for Aoife, near the table where the contraption was sitting, but at as discrete a distance as could be achieved in the small room, and finally he sank into the chair next to his nurse.

This was no doubt going to be very interesting, if not educational, and he was curious to see what part the Zoescope had to play in it .

@boshmi; @Javia

Posted (edited)

"Miss Mudd, I hope you are feeling well."  Jonah smiled to the young girl, sincerely hoping that when she left today, she would be free of her affliction. 

Arabella gave him the quickest of nervous smiles and then was all eyes for the odd squat cylinder with the slits in the side and little pictures within, all similar but each one just a little bit different from the last.

“Now, you just look through that lil’ peephole in the side there, Miss Mudd and tell me what you see.” She did as she was bidden and Worchester started to turn a little handle at the side of the contraption which made the thing start to turn around like a carousel. Arabella gasped!

tumblr_mq96r5W3Gb1r9jbwno1_500.gif

“What the Dickens! The little man and horse inside’s all come alive!!” she yelped delightedly and jumped up to peer into the thing from above, expecting to see a tiny little horse and rider in there. “Now it’s just pictures again!” she said, more intrigued than disappointed. “Well, ain’t this the darndest thing?! You seen this?” she asked Danforth and Nurse Leane. “I never seen nuthin’ like this in my entire life and I’ve lived some!” she chattered on in her usual garrulous way.

Pettigrew got her sitting down again and looking back through the little gap in the metal.

“Let’s try it again, Miss, and this time I want you to count how many times the man jumps his horse over the fence, can you do that for me?” Arabella nodded and Pettigrew started the machine spinning again.

“One, Two, three…” as she counted quietly to herself, Pettigrew stretched and yawned (as you, gentle reader, are no doubt yawning now) and spoke.

“Oh, watching that man jumping that horse makes a body so tired and sleepy… yawn … oh, I imagine you’re feeling sleepy too, Arabella, watching him jump and jump and jump…. When he makes jump number twenty, you’re going to fall asleep, quite asleep, and when I snap my fingers you will wake up and listen to me … only to me … eighteen, nineteen, twenty!” his voice joined in with Arabella’s on the last few numbers, as he let the machine trickle to a halt.

Arabella’s eyes had closed but opened again when he snapped his fingers.

“What’s your name?” asked Pettigrew.

The girl turned in her seat and looked at him quite normally, just not her usual excitable self. “Arabella Mudd.” She replied. Again, there was no fake stage trance or staring into space. But there was also no ‘Arabellaisms’ she failed to give her middle name or ramble on gregariously about the history of the illustrious Mudd family in Virginia.

“And where are we?” he asked, evidently trying to gauge whether she was in a trance or just pretending.

“Doctor Danforth’s” she replied, quite normally, but probably more tersely and to the point than she had ever spoken in her entire life. Pettigrew looked satisfied, but glanced down nervously at an open hunter watch, as if he needed to keep an eye on the time, perhaps the mesmerised state could only last so long.

@Bongo @boshmi

Posted (edited)

“… ah yes, if your charming nurse would stay also, for reasons of propriety. Miss Mudd, if we succeed, will be quite insensible for much of the time; with two gentlemen present I believe the presence of a chaperone would be meet.”

Aoife nodded confirmation at Mr. Pettigrew's suggestion, if only out of curiosity. She didn't imagine that Doctor Danforth was capable of such advances, but at the same time, she could hardly presume that an undergarment salesman knew even the first thing about the medical profession. It would probably be good to remain present and able to intervene, lest he begin waving snake oil under her nose or some other such nonsense.

The doctor offered a chair and she sat, tucking her skirt beneath her and crossing her arms over her chest. With no idea as to what ailed Miss Mudd or what was going to be attempted here today, she could do nothing but look on with a skeptic's eye.

“Do take a seat here next to me and I shall show the thing, it really is quite amusing.” Pettigrew told the girl, and the look that he subsequently sent in the direction of the doctor and herself was enough to contemplate an outward roll of the eyes. It was all she could manage, to hold her tongue for Jonah's sake.

The following performance stank so heavily of a charlatan's magic show that any open-mindedness that she might have harbored was diminishing by the second. That was, until the Mudd girl - a walking paragraph - was suddenly quiet.

“What’s your name?” asked Mr. Pettigrew.

“Arabella Mudd.” she replied.

The nurse sat forward in her chair, suddenly all eyes and ears.

“And where are we?”

“Doctor Danforth’s”

Aoife turned her head to shoot a look at Jonah, one that seemed to ask; 'Is this really happening?'

@Bongo@Javia

Edited by boshmi (see edit history)
  • Love 2

Even seated a few feet back, Jonah could see the moving figures through the slits in the contraption, and it was, indeed, mesmerizing, more for the wonder of it than the actual repetitive movements.  He'd seen similar contraptions in bigger cities and they'd always fascinated him.  Seemed like there was more that could be done with them besides children's amusements and hypnotizing subjects.

Unbidden, he started counting jumps along with Arabella, listening to the man's voice, relaxing, not really closing his eyes, but neither really aware of anything but the jumping horses and the low voice...

The slight movement beside him as Aoife glanced his way roused him, and he looked at the nurse, belatedly registering that Miss Mudd wasn't rambling on incessantly about...well, anything!  Could it possibly be that the child was truly in a trance?  Something had quieted her, that was certain.

He glanced at Pettigrew and frowned, wanting to ask questions, but knowing better...and wanting to ask the man to make this Miss Mudd's normal demeanor, and knowing better!

@Javia; @boshmi

Pettigrew’s next series of questions were more to the point, but all of a nature that could be answered simply, yes and no in most cases. Dr. Danforth had explained the perceived problems in language the girl might not understand, the questions had to be a lot more prosaic, with no room for misinterpretation.

“Arabella, do you like Doctor Danforth?” She looked at him, focused enough, but po-faced.

“Yes.”

“Would you like to kiss Doctor Danforth?”

“No”

Pettigrew was careful not to react in the slightest to this, no approval or disapproval toward the answers, nothing to sway the girl or even rouse her from her waking slumber, just uttering the questions in the same solid, boring, murmur.

“Look at Nurse Leane, do you like her?”

“No”

“Would you like to kiss her?”

“Yes”

He ran through a few more people she knew; invariably the men fell into the “Yes/No” category; interestingly, her friends Jemima Wigfall and Bridget Monahan were “Yes/No” too. Caroline Mundee and Miriam Kaufman were “Yes/Yes”.

At last the hypnotist felt satisfied and moved on to the final stage of this impromptu treatment. Parlour trick mesmerists usually stuck to making people parade around the room pretending to be chickens or some other mildly humiliating antics. To try and permanently change a core facet of somebody’s personality: well, that was something else.

But Pettigrew seemed willing to try.

“Arabella. The next time you want to kiss a lady, or a girl, you will suddenly think that it is a very silly thing to want to do. Kissing another girl is silly.

Repeat what I say. Kissing another girl is silly.”

Arabella duly repeated.

“You will want to laugh when you think of kissing a girl. It is a silly thing, You will laugh. Silly. Laugh. Silly. Laugh. Repeat!”

A smile formed and faded around the girl’s mouth. Then the smile returned. “It’s silly!” she laughed: but there was something horrible and hollow about her laugh. It wasn’t her usual low gurgling chuckle. It was a hard, false laugh that somehow made your skin crawl.

“When you want to kiss a girl you will think it is a very silly thing to do; you will laugh; instead, you will want to help the girl; offer her some help. You will laugh, it is silly, you offer her some help. Repeat!” The mild-mannered dressmaker was now speaking in an insistent, almost frightening, commanding voice.

“Repeat!”

He made her repeat the mantra several times until she started to seem a little confused and look about the room, a frightened look in her eyes. Pettigrew held up a hand, lest the Doctor try to interfere.

“Now, now, Arabella. In a few seconds I will snap my fingers and you will wake up. You won’t remember what happened when you were asleep, but inside, you will remember my commands. You will remember my commands.

“I will remember.” She repeated.

Pettigrew snapped his fingers and flopped back in his chair: the strain of the thing had quite taken it out of him!

@boshmi @Bongo

“Look at Nurse Leane, do you like her?”

“No”

“Would you like to kiss her?”

“Yes”

Aoife's first reaction was to bristle with indignation (although she was a mite confused as to what she would be bristling). Considering that no one had told her what this was about, and how it flew in the face of any practical medicine, she was inclined to think it was some sort of elaborate prank.

But the moment that Arabella spoke that final syllable, everything fell into place. The secrecy, the unwillingness to see her yesterday, and the incredibly non-medical medical procedure.

The nurse relaxed, words disappearing in her mouth. It wasn't a prank, it was just very very strange.

The subsequent... er... hypnosis continued very much in the sort of way you saw in books, with a 'repeat after me' and a 'you will want to _____ when you _____' and for once, Aoife didn't feel as though she had any authority on the matter, because five minutes ago she would have laughed at anyone who told her that mesmerism could cure homosexuality.

"You will remember my commands.”

“I will remember.”

...and the undergarment salesman snapped his fingers again, supposedly breaking the trance. Aoife watched sternly, ready to pounce on any indication that Pettigrew had fried the brain of that poor child in some way.

@Bongo@Javia

• Love 1

Jonah was immensely relieved that the girl didn't want to kiss him, and this being an honest response under Pettigrew's spell, and not the child just saying what she thought they wanted to hear.  As for their tastes in ladies, he found that they were quite similar, although, as an adult, he knew the difference between 'wanting',  'dreaming' and 'doing', and that you couldn't give in to all your urges.

At the suggestion that she find kissing girls 'silly', his lips turned up a bit in a grin, but it was, for Miss Mudd, a good suggestion, and now to see if she would come back to 'normal', (god forbid!), though at the moment, there was no way to test the process, for he wasn't going to put his new nurse in the position of potentially being kissed by the child by making such a suggestion.

Perhaps the little man had other ideas.

And then a thought, accompanied by a cold chill -- kissing was only part of carnal relations...so, what about hugging, touching...really touching, not to mention impure thoughts and ideations...?

This could be very bad...messing with someone's head could be as bad as already having your head messed up!

@Javia; @boshmi

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

In a tawdry novel or an ill written play at the theater (not that poor old Kalispell even had a theater - yet) a body coming out of such a trance would look confused and flustered, remembering little or nothing of the experience. However, a blinking Arabella did not seem to have missed a word of it all.

“Oh! That was real strange!!” she gaped “I … I could hear every single little word but it was like I was a million, million miles away, and … and I know it was just now really, but it sorta feels like we was doin’ all that yes and no bizz a million, million years ago! And…” she frowned “… and when you asked me a question, Mr. Pettigrew, I wanted to say … well you know, be polite and such but I was … far away…” her eyes drifted around the room and eventually rested on Aiofe.

“Oh!” she remembered that she had said she didn’t like the nurse. She was less concerned that she had said she wanted to kiss her!

“Oh, Miss, I’m sorry I said what I said before I … why, I don’t even know you! I don’t know why I said that.” She fiddled with her ubiquitous shawl. “I’m real sorry.” She said, looking at the floor, and then glancing quickly up, begging for a forgiving word from the stern looking young Irishwoman.

Pettigrew pooh-poohed the whole thing.

“Oh, do pay no mind to that, nurse Leane’s feelings are hardly our prime consideration.” He waved away Arabella’s concerns, before addressing Dr. Danforth.

“Mesmerism, as I understand it, sir, can no more change a body’s innate nature than it can turn a cat into a toad. I cannot make Miss Mudd desire to, er, kiss gentlemen, even such magnificent specimens as ourselves, Doctor.” He said. “Neither can it stop Miss Mudd wanting to kiss pretty young nurses like Miss Leane here. What it can do is…” he thought carefully about the words “… divert the attendant actions and consequences of such desires. By offering a strong and hypnotically amplified suggestion to take such and such a different course of action when certain stimuli are present. Thus undesirable consequences may be averted.”

“How do you feel, Miss Mudd?” he asked.

Arabella shrugged “Same.” she answered simply enough before glancing at Aiofe for a second “Just a little ashamed of myself, for some of the things I said.”

@boshmi @Bongo

“Oh, Miss, I’m sorry I said what I said before I … why, I don’t even know you! I don’t know why I said that. I’m real sorry.”

"It's... alright." Aoife said slowly. She wasn't upset, merely a slight embarrassed. She'd certainly not expected a declaration of solely physical affection from Arabella, of the two guests they entertained this day.

As if to annunciate Aoife's thoughts, Mr. Pettigrew cut in with; “Oh, do pay no mind to that, nurse Leane’s feelings are hardly our prime consideration.”

He launched into an explanation of mesmerism's finer mechanics, but Aoife sat a little too dumbstruck at it's actual function to really take any of the nuance in. Hypnotism! In real life! It was like a Charles Dickens story, except with significantly less ghosts.

@Javia@Bongo

• Love 1

"We all say things we regret," Jonah observed, then chuckled, "and we are all going to say things we'll regret, it's just a matter of learning when to hold our tongues."  Of course, some people never learned, but then, there were people who had a knack for rambling on so openly that little of what they actually said was heard, and Miss Mudd seemed to have that gift.

"If Mr. Pettigrew is done with your therapy, I think Mrs. Towberman has some ginger cookies and milk?" he addressed the girl, "Just to smooth things over?  Or you can take some with you, if you wish."

Then there was the matter of payment, but that was up to Pettigrew, although Jonah wouldn't let him bilk the child.

@Javia; @boshmi

• Love 1

Both Dr. Danforth and Nurse Leane were being nice to her about what she’d said while she was ‘under’.

"We all say things we regret," Jonah observed, then chuckled, "and we are all going to say things we'll regret, it's just a matter of learning when to hold our tongues." 

Arabella nodded with a smile, but then frowned. Say, was he saying she needed to hold her tongue more?! She’d come here to cure her ‘funny feelings’ not because she (allegedly) talked too much! But before she could say anything about that, Dr. Danforth brought proceedings to a close.

"If Mr. Pettigrew is done with your therapy, I think Mrs. Towberman has some ginger cookies and milk?" he addressed the girl, "Just to smooth things over?  Or you can take some with you, if you wish."

“Sure, thanks.” Said the patient as she stood somewhat unsteadily. Pettigrew said not a word, just watched with a sort of professional interest as the girl wondered what she was going to do next. Then she remembered the money, too.

“Oh!” she gave a nervous smile and rummaged in her purse, pulling out two dollars.

She proffered them to Doctor Danforth. “Is that right Doctor? Two?”

@boshmi @Bongo

"Oh, I think a dollar fifty will suffice," Jonah commented, glancing at Pettigrew and hoping that he wouldn't ask for more, after all, it was a day's wages for the girl, and while he didn't want to offend her senses by offering charity, neither did he want to bilk her of her hard-earned money.

That said (or thought), he wouldn't dispute Pettigrew if he named a different amount, unless, of course, it was something outrageous.

"And, Miss Mudd, please don't hesitate to return if you feel the need."  He hoped not, he was out of ideas for this particular ailment!

@Javia; @boshmi

Posted (edited)

"Oh, I think a dollar fifty will suffice," Jonah commented, glancing at Pettigrew and hoping that he wouldn't ask for more, after all, it was a day's wages for the girl, and while he didn't want to offend her senses by offering charity, neither did he want to bilk her of her hard-earned money.

Arabella counted out the money from her purse and turned this way and that, should she give it to the Doctor, or to Pettigrew, or even to Nurse Leane?!

However, Pettigrew waved it away with as much distain as if she were offering him a dog dropping picked up off the street.

“I do not want your money child, not for this experiment. You save it; but do feel free to come on over and spend it at the store!” he added, although not particularly humorously. He stood and started to put the Zoetrope into the big Gladstone bag.

“Talking of which, I had better get back to my real business, Doctor, and leave you to yours. He picked up the bag. “Nurse, if you could show me out?” he said, but Arabella stopped him.

“Oh, but I … I want to say thankyou, Mr. Pettigrew…” he turned his watery pale blue eyes to hers. “… thank you for everything.” she smiled genuinely.

“Well, well, very good. Just don’t pester me at the store about it, child" he said shortly "If you feel that you need more of the ‘treatment’ please to arrange it through Doctor Danforth. This way, was it, nurse?” He nodded to Jonah and was gone.

Arabella turned to the Doctor and shrugged.

“Oh well, you’d best have this I guess!” she said and thrust the money in his direction.

“Funny, when I go into his store he does just about everything he can think of to get me to spend money and splash out on a whole lot of stuff I don’t rightly need!” she pondered. “Well, there’s nothing so queer as folks, that’s what my cousin Buford used to say: before he got decapitulated at Manassas. Course, he didn’t say much at all, after that. But do you know, they found his head half a mile from where his body lay and, guess what?, he had the most happiest smile on his face. I reckon he’d just thought of a funny joke just before them Yanks, oh no offence Doc, them Yanks blowed his head off. In fact…”

"And, Miss Mudd, please don't hesitate to return if you feel the need."  He hoped not, he was out of ideas for this particular ailment!

“Oh, right! I’d best be getting along, I guess” she laughed. She frowned in thought. “You know what, Doctor? I reckon I might go along to Mr. Pettigrew’s store this afternoon and see if this here cure’s worked. See, there’s a girl works there what… well, I reckon you can guess how I been feelin’ about her and, well, 'proof of the pudding is in the eatin’ - like cousin Buford used to say. I might just go along there and, get her to come help me on with a ribbon or what-not and see if I still feel like eating her puddin’, er, I mean, giving her a kiss!” she stumbled.  

“Nurse, if you could show me out?” The undergarment salesman asked, and Aoife rose to perform the duty. Arabella cut in, however, and the nurse was left standing rather awkwardly.

There was a 'thank-you' and a reticent 'you're welcome' to be endured before she could finally see about showing Mr. Pettigrew the door, which he inevitably ended up doing of his own accord, leading her to feel very embarrassed indeed.

"This way, was it, nurse?” He nodded to Jonah and was gone.

And when the Mudd girl launched into her subsequent tirade, why, what Aoife wouldn't have given to follow in the footsteps of that portly fellow. She remained in her awkward standing position by the door, thin-lipped and with folded arms while both the Doctor and herself were regaled with seemingly every single thought that rattled around the overzealous girl's exceedingly thick skull.

Jonah attempted to interdict, mirroring Aoife's intentions, but his implications fell on deaf ears as the barrage of words continued.

"Miss Mudd." she cut in on a line about eating someone's pudding. "When you're ready."

Though of course, in Aoife's contentious tone, the implication was that Miss Mudd was ready.

@Bongo@Javia

• Love 2

Again, Jonah found himself on the verge of bursting into laughter as the child started rambling on about the unfortunate Cousin Buford, but he managed to keep a straight face, and was relieved with Miss Leane started to hurry her out the door, although, with Miss Mudd, 'hurry' seemed to be limited to her speech.

"Good afternoon, Miss Mudd, I'm glad we were of help."  Then, on a whim, he added, "You should consider following in the steps of Samuel Clemens, putting your capricious anecdotes to pen.  I'm sure there'd be a wide interest, and you would attract a diverse readership."  He hesitated, then quickly amended, "Except Cousin Buford...I don't imagine he is doing much reading these days."

@Javia; @boshmi

"Miss Mudd." she cut in on a line about eating someone's pudding. "When you're ready."
Though of course, in Aoife's contentious tone, the implication was that Miss Mudd was ready.

“Ooops! Sorry!” apologised Arabella, gathering up her things: basket, shawl, bonnet, and heading out the door.

"Good afternoon, Miss Mudd, I'm glad we were of help."

Arabella stopped at the doorway to bid him farewell. “Bye then Doc, thanks for the … well, thingy.” As long as the good doctor didn't have a whim, they were nearly rid of her.

Then, on a whim, he added, "You should consider following in the steps of Samuel Clemens, putting your capricious anecdotes to pen.  I'm sure there'd be a wide interest, and you would attract a diverse readership."  He hesitated, then quickly amended, "Except Cousin Buford...I don't imagine he is doing much reading these days."

A whim. That was a mistake. Arabella turned and walked back into the room.

“Do you really think so?” she asked excitedly “I don’t know who this Sam Clemens character is, more of a Mark Twain reader m’self” she lied, she’d only ever read two whole books in her entire life, The Bible and Ivanhoe, but she’d heard of Mark Twain who had recently written a funny and clever book of ‘sketches’. 

“I done already writ some poems an’ I tried to put together a advice column for Mr. McVie, try make his newspaper kinda more interestin’, but I never heard back 'bout that. Problem is, when I try and write me a story of my own an’ I show it someone they always say, ‘oh that’s been done before’ and as for ol’ cousin Buford, well I asked my friend Jemima Wigfall if folks could read in Heaven, cause she’s a spiritualist and she says they can but not in the other place cause all them flames would burn up your books an’…” She noticed Nurse Leane was still holding the door open for her to leave with a very frosty look on her face. Even Arabella picked up on the vibe that it was time for her to go.

“… an’, er, well, we’ll jaw on this some other time, Doc!” she waved him goodbye and tried to squeeze past Aoife with an embarrassed smile.

@boshmi @Bongo

• Love 1
  • Made Me Laugh! 1

OOC: Is that the end of this one as well?