Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Yes, water. You are buying my land so you can control the water when the railroad shows up. I know you think I'm stupid...think what you will, I am not," he replied then.   Crabbe held up his hands.   “Hey, I never said you were stupid, friend!” he said quickly, like he thought Robert was going to thump him. “I never said friend Bob here was stupid, did I Charlie?”   Charlie shook his head. “No, you just say he illiterate and ignorant, that all.” Said the Chinaman, unhelpfully.   "So how much you offering me?" actually Robert thought the man a bit foolish to reveal this because it seemed he could now ask for a much higher price than he would have just a minute earlier.   “I’m offering the man who owns this land…” because that was the rub, wasn’t it? Who legally owned this muddy patch of Montana. “… $300 down for a 25% share, Charlie there and our lawyer friend the same, so that’s $900 clear for you, with an option to join in any mining and/or water supply developments on consideration of payment of a directly correlating percentage of any development costs. Costs of reclaiming the claim in your name to be undertaken solely by the three new partners. Now… you must admit, that’s a pretty good deal considering, at the moment, you technically own jack shit of a non-paying claim.”   Charle Fa shook his head: Crabbe was making this sound too complicated for the young Irishman, and the boy was starting to look irritated.   “He mean, we get you land back, we give nine hundred dollar, we all invest in mining or water supply, make lot of money, all happy!” he explained to Robert.   @Wayfarer
    • "Well, now Dutton Peabody ain't no judge. Damn fine lawyer, 'scuse me, fergot myself there. But there's ol' Ben Robinson, he's a judge, but I' m thinkin' the pastor'll do, er priest, 'er whatever he likes ta be called. We'll be good." Barnabas commented with confidence, "An' the buggy, not even anythin' ta be worryin' about. Ever'thing's gonna be perfect."   "Best we start thinkin' about headin' back. Not that Speed cain't hold his own, but I like to check in time ta time, jest in case." The he laughed, thouuh he was serious. There was never any telling of what might happen at any given time. Mostly nothing. "Before you start ta thinkin' we could move in taday." @Bongo
    • "Guess if we don't go in they'll get suspicious, and we don't want anyone coming out to see what we're doing."  It was pretty obvious Weedy was not willing to share, Wyatt noted. In all fairness, his sister and that boy of hers found the chest. At times Wyatt could be pretty defensive about his sister, they were family after all.   The boys raced into the farm cabin but Clara never even let them get to the kitchen table.   "Ahhh, ahh ahh! You two wash your hands first. Wyatt you know better," she chided.   As the pair turned back then to go to the well to the side of the building, she loudly added.   "And Wyatt!  Will you kindly put your shirt back on, you are not some Indian savage!"   Wyatt rolled his eyes and glanced at Weedy, "Girls."
    • Suddenly the Reverend was speaking. he had been locked into the eyes of his bride to be, feeling the love that was between them. Their fingers intertwined, their eyes shining, and even he had a mist in his eyes. It was happening right then, at that moment, the words were being said, what they were for a moment, he did not know, but then, he understood.   "... in the presence of God and these people, to declare your intention to enter into matrimony, through the grace of Jesus Christ, who calls you into union with himself as acknowledged in your baptism. Will you give yourselves to each other, to live together in holy marriage? Will you love, honor, comfort, and keep each other, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be faithful, as long as you both shall live?"   He heard her say "I will," and he smiled. There were a thousand other agreements pushing through his brain when he heard himself say, "I will." Like there had been a better one? Not hardly. Both had tightened their grip on one another slightly as they made their intentions know. A thought passed through his mind, 'might not be long enough.' @boshmi@Bongo@Wayfarer@Javia  
    • Now that the man explained it that way, Robert could get past in his mind this was not about any gold but water. Water rights. He slowly nodded but the man wanted him to say it aloud it seemed.   "Yes, water. You are buying my land so you can control the water when the railroad shows up. I know you think I'm stupid...think what you will, I am not," he replied then.   "So how much you offering me?" actually Robert thought the man a bit foolish to reveal this because it seemed he could now ask for a much higher price than he would have just a minute earlier.
Emeline Pike

Ding Dong! The Bells Are Gonna Chime...

Posted (edited)

Mature Content: No

With: Barnabas Pike, Clara Redmond, all are invited!
When: May / 12 / 1876
Time of Day: Afternoon

content-divider.png

Funny, but Emeline didn't have any butterflies flitting in her stomach like she'd had for her first wedding, but then, she was older now, had grown out of necessity, and knew some of what to expect.

Even so, this was different, she had never had this feeling of bursting inside, there was nothing she wanted more in this world right now than to become Mrs. Barnabas Pike, to bind her soul to his for the rest of their days, and even though it had only been a few months, it felt to her as if it had been an eternity since he'd proposed to her on Christmas.

"Thank you for your help," she said to Clara, giving the girl a big hug, keeping it brief, though, since she knew Clara didn't like the contact.  "I can't believe it's time!"

With Clara's help, as well as that of a few of the other ladies in town, she had finished her dress just the day before, Clara had helped with her hair, although the style only vaguely resembled the plate from Godey's Lady's Book that they were trying to replicate...not that it mattered much, for even now, as she prepared to walk down the aisle, Emeline pulled a organza veil that was trimmed in lace and hung nearly to her waist.

"Someday, I'll return this favor."  She smiled at Clara, still amused that her 'Maid of Honor' was so young, and figuring it would be a few years before the roles were reversed, but she owed the young woman a great deal.

"Well, let's do this!"  Taking up the bouquet of pink and white wildflowers, she waited for Clara to open the door for her, then smiled and nodded to Judge Peabody, slipping her arm through his, then walking into the chapel.  Her eyes were on the floor ahead of them as they made their way to the alter, she didn't want to see Barnabas until that moment...

@Flip; @Wayfarer; @boshmi; @Javia; @JulieS

wedding dress.jpg

Edited by Bongo (see edit history)
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

Mr. Ryker had done an admirable job fixing the harmonium. The foot-pumped bellows no longer made that embarrassing/hilarious farting noise on the lower registers and the non-sounding keys had been fixed. It wasn’t exactly a hundred stop, eight manual church organ, but Arabella could now at least get a decent sound from the thing. Just as well, as that was her sole purpose at the Pike-Blakesley wedding: she wasn’t invited as a guest, just as ‘church staff’ along with the celebrant. She was to play in the bride and accompany any hymns as part of the service.

This was no doubt going to be a very ‘grown up’ affair, the only young person that she knew for sure would be there, apart from herself; was Clara Redmond, who was Emeline’s bride’s maid: understandable as the two worked so closely together and Em provided a motherly influence for Clara that Ara had never really felt from Mrs Devereau.

Still, she’d put on her Sunday dress and tied a nice light blue ribbon in her hair.

The choice of music for the entrance of Mrs Blakesly, soon to be Mrs Pike, was a three cornered fight between the two popular ones: Mendelssohn's Wedding March, the Bridal Chorus from Wagner's opera Lohengrin (somewhat frowned upon in some ecclesiastical circles for it’s theatrical and pagan connotations) and finally Stephen Foster’s Camptown Races.

All right, Arabella had tossed the last suggestion into the ring because she liked the tune. It wasn’t really suitable at all! Still, it would at least add a bit of fizz to what might otherwise be a dull affair. After all, she reasoned, Mrs Blakesley had been around this particular block previously and even Mr. Pike, no spring chicken at thirty three, was rumoured to have been mysteriously engaged once before. Arabella thought the idea of the whole congregation singing “Doo Dah!! Doo Dah!!” as the bride walked down the aisle lively and fun.

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

The morning had been spent at the jail, an odd starting point for the groom and best man, but then again, it was Pike and Guyer. Speed had never been in a wedding party, let alone best man, and Pike had never been married before, so they were both fidgeting with their frock coats, ties, shirt collars and just about everything else.

"Okay," Pike began, looking at his watch, "I gave you the ring, right?"

"I got it right here." Speed said, then checked his vest pockets, and then his frock, finally in his trousers he located it. He held it out for Pike to see. "Putting in my vest pocket."

"Good. Came all the way from Nevada. Know the man who made it, M.M. Fredrick, corner of C an' Union. across from the Bucket of Blood. Silver's from the mine I own a part of, at least he said it was. Ever try gettin' a woman's ring size?" None of what he was saying was of the slightest importance, but both were nervous. "Cost me twenty-two dollars. He drew out his pocket watch and checked the time again.

"Maybe we ought to head on over to the church." Speed suggested. "Odd having Dutton Peabody escoting Em."

"Yeah, hoped we could do it upstairs but, well, we're over't the church. An' Dutton, who'da thunk it? Right?"

Speed smiled. "Gonna ride?"

"Nope, walkin, rather have dusty boots than smell like a horse after the bath an' all. But shore, let's go."

@Bongo@boshmi@Wayfarer@Javia@JulieS

Edited by Flip (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The two lawmen, with only minutes to spare, due to Pikes watch which was a good five minutes low, slipped in the back door of the church. and then stepped into the main part, jerking off their hats as they stood to the side as if they had been there all along. (Had to add this so they would be at the church.)

@boshmi@Bongo@Javia@JulieS, and, anyone else.

• Made Me Laugh! 1

This was actually Clara's first wedding, well unless she was at one back in Pennsylvania as a young child in attendance but if so she had no memories of it. So she was both curious and excited about it. Plus it was Emeline and she was just so happy for the woman. If anyone deserved happiness it was Emeline and while Clara had been less than impressed with her groom at first, as she got to know the man, she realized her original snap judgement was wrong, he was a good man and they should make a fine couple. Not that they needed her approval of course!

Emeline had asked her if she would be willing to help and Clara jumped at the opportunity besides it was more like an honor really. So she did her part with the dressing, the bride's hair, whatever was needed of her.

"Thank you for your help," Emeline gave the girl a big hug, keeping it brief, though, Clara accepted it well enough as it was Emeline afterall  "I can't believe it's time!"

"You are most welcome. This is all so ...fascinating. And yes, it is past time. You two deserve to be married," Clara replied.

"Someday, I'll return this favor." 

Clara shrugged, "I can only hope, we will see."

And then it was time for the ceremony. Emeline was ready alright, "Well, let's do this!" 

"Indeed, you look so beautiful. Let me get the door," Clara then opened the church doors and the procession began, she fell in behind the bride.

Arabella's honky-tonk tune opened up the wedding into one of the more bizarre processional themes that Thomas had heard. It bore a strange familiarity to the sort of thing played at theaters in the eastern states, alongside dancing girls or perhaps a minstrel show.

Far be it from him to dissuade Arabella from any decided course of action, though, and so long as the bride and groom did not take issue, there was no problem to be found.

Speaking of which, the sly entrance of two particular lawmen would indicate that all were present and ready to begin, so when the bridesmaid hurried forward to open the door, Thomas gave her a thankful smile, and then led the procession across the narthex and down the aisle.

Admittedly, Arabella's unorthodox choice of tune did kind-of-sort-of work, but it's tempo seemed to encourage a quicker pace than usual, and Thomas found himself struggling not to march right up to the lectern as though he were still in the army. With a self-imposed lag, he managed to make it up to the altar at a reasonable rate, but he could only hope that the rest of the procession followed suit.

Finally, he turned to face the congregation, and opened the bible upon the altar as Emeline and Barnabas came to bear.

@Flip@Wayfarer@Javia@JulieS@Bongo

• Made Me Laugh! 2

As 'Camp Town Races began, Pike looked at Speed, who looked back at Pike, both in disbelief. Yes they had arrived late, but the tune was far from the solemn type of music that either of them had expected. But it was in progress as the bridal party made their way down the isle.

When Pike looked away from the harmonium player his eyes came to rest on Em, the bride, beautiful in her gown. His breath was taken away by the vision coming toward him. It was not as if there had been a transformation, not at all, it was as if her natural beauty had been enhanced by her gown and the vale, she was radiant! Although she was not looking up, it did not matter, in moments she would be standing at his side, about to become Missus Pike. Then Arabella could play whatever she wanted.

@boshmi@Bongo@Wayfarer@Javia@JulieS

Camptown Races?  Really?

Emeline glanced back at Clara and rolled her eyes, although she wouldn't see through the veil.  Oh, well, she had said more than once that she wasn't concerned about convention or formality, that was why she hadn't protested when Arabella declared that she would play the organ for the ceremony.  But she hadn't expected this!  At least fifty years from now people would still remember 'that wedding where the played 'Camptown Races' for the processional!

Well,  she  wasn't going to let a jaunty ditty ruin her day, and dear Dutton Peabody did a fine job of keeping the pace regal.

Half way up the aisle, Emeline's heart started to pound in her chest, and it felt like she couldn't breathe, but a kind pat on her arm from the man beside her stilled her nerves.  When they stopped, she finally looked up, seeing Barnabas through the fine white sheen of organza veil and a faint mist that she blinked away.

And when Judge Peabody placed her hand in Barnabas', Emeline couldn't remember ever having been so happy, nor so content and positive about the future.

@Flip; @Javia; @Wayfarer; @boshmi

• Thanks 1

There was old Dutton Peabody, sober as  a judge, and looking proud as a peacock, Leading , a true vision of beauty down the aisle, his vision of beauty. His nerves flared up the instant he saw her, this was really happening! At long last it was becoming a reality and he was feeling a rush of excitement at the prospect, no the reality of the fact, that in just a few minutes she would become his wife.

The closer she came to him, the dazzling white gown clinging to her, the train trailing behind, and the ornate veil resting in her hair, she was a sight to behold, his sight, radiant in her own natural beauty which was simply enhanced by the gown. It was then that the magic happened, Dutton placed her hand in his and it was like no other feeling he had ever experienced, a rush of joy combined with that same electricity that jolted him the first time they kissed, and then she looked up at him and he thought his heart would either burst or explode through his chest! All that he could do was mile.

@Bongo@boshmi@Javia@Wayfarer

Clara was outwardly calm, her eyes fixed on Emeline, looking simply heavenly in that white bridal dress, as they processed down the aisle but inwardly she was seething. How could Arabella play such a tune? A couple's wedding was not a joke, frivolity should be saved for the reception. But though she and Emeline exchanged a quick glance, that was the extent of it because it simply would only make things worse if she charged up to Arabella and silenced her. And it wasn't like she could take the girl's place, she did not know how to play or even read music. Hardly an important skill in life, she felt.

But the couple looked so happy as they held hands and the minister began the rites, Clara thought back to what her father and mother must have looked like, felt like way back. Maybe someday she would too.

Arabella let the final few notes of Mr Pike and Mrs Blakesley’s chosen melody echo around the building and turned to watch the ceremony from her seat at the Harmonium. Well, she thought that was the one that they had chosen: to be honest, they’d started to discuss it at some length when she’d asked them and she’d become so distracted by the antics of some ants that were attacking a bumble bee who was all tuckered out on the ground, that she forgot to get a definitive answer on the musical matter. Oh well, everybody seemed happy enough with the tune, even if Judge Peabody did look a little out of breath.

Mrs B. looked lovely in her dress (but white, really?) and beautiful Clara in her finery next to her. That was funny, Clara was staring at her. Maybe for guidance. She gave her a little wave and mouthed ‘don’t be nervous!’

She wouldn’t have much to do now until the first hymn, so she sat on her hands and tried not to fidget. She had suggested that she play some soft chords in the background as the Reverend Thomas narrated the Wedding ceremony and that she shout out “I hear you Brother Thomas!” and “Testify Brother, Testify!” at apposite moments, like they did at their big camp meetings down South, but he had turned her down.

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

With all assembled, and most craning eager faces in the altar's direction, Thomas took up his position and began the rites;

"Friends and relations, we are gathered here today, in the sight of God to witness and bless the joining together of Barnabas Pike and Emeline Blakesley in Christian marriage. The covenant of marriage was established by God, who created us male and female for each other, and in the sacrificial love of Jesus Christ, gave us the example for the love of husband and wife. Barnabas and Emeline come to give themselves to one another in this holy covenant."

He looked down at the couple, and gave them an encouraging smile.

"I ask you both now, in the presence of God and these people, to declare your intention to enter into matrimony, through the grace of Jesus Christ, who calls you into union with himself as acknowledged in your baptism. Will you give yourselves to each other, to live together in holy marriage? Will you love, honor, comfort, and keep each other, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be faithful, as long as you both shall live?"

@Javia@Flip@Bongo@Wayfarer

Twining her fingers into Barnabas', Emeline clung to him for support, never wanting to let go, confident that she never would have to let go.

It was only after Reverend Thomas had said their names for the second time that she actually heard what he was saying, and she looked up at him with a soft smile.  She had no qualms about this, she was just so thrilled that it was finally happening!

"I ask you both now, in the presence of God and these people, to declare your intention to enter into matrimony, through the grace of Jesus Christ, who calls you into union with himself as acknowledged in your baptism. Will you give yourselves to each other, to live together in holy marriage? Will you love, honor, comfort, and keep each other, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be faithful, as long as you both shall live?"

Looking into Barnabas' eyes, Emeline squeezed his hands, then nodded.  "I will."  No hesitation, no holding back, just firm conviction.

@Flip; @Wayfarer; @Javia; @boshmi

Suddenly the Reverend was speaking. he had been locked into the eyes of his bride to be, feeling the love that was between them. Their fingers intertwined, their eyes shining, and even he had a mist in his eyes. It was happening right then, at that moment, the words were being said, what they were for a moment, he did not know, but then, he understood.

"... in the presence of God and these people, to declare your intention to enter into matrimony, through the grace of Jesus Christ, who calls you into union with himself as acknowledged in your baptism. Will you give yourselves to each other, to live together in holy marriage? Will you love, honor, comfort, and keep each other, in sickness and in health, and forsaking all others, be faithful, as long as you both shall live?"

He heard her say "I will," and he smiled. There were a thousand other agreements pushing through his brain when he heard himself say, "I will." Like there had been a better one? Not hardly. Both had tightened their grip on one another slightly as they made their intentions know. A thought passed through his mind, 'might not be long enough.'

@boshmi@Bongo@Wayfarer@Javia