Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "I'm sorry Clara.  Maybe I should have made my intentions more clearer but I thought you were and are still too young.  To say that I am pleased about your marriage would be a lie."   Clara frowned but that sounded turned into a glare. And after she had just told him she wished for the very best for his new law career.   "The only thing I can offer you is that I hope that your husband will do his best when the future comes and that you won't suffer if he doesn't."   She was not going to stand here and be hurt like this. Oh, she wanted to say more but what good would it do and what difference would it make? None.   "We are done here. I will never make the same mistake again of trying to talk to you. We have nothing further to say. Good day to you, Deputy," she said thru gritted teeth then stepped to one side of him and kept on walking.  
    • Brendan flew over the crest of the rise on Fiona with the rest of the riders and tried to pick out the rustlers from where their gunshots were coming from. It was hard, with the intermittent flashes from the gunfire giving only a little clarity to their attacker's figures. He rode bent low on Fiona's neck and stretched his pistol out in front of him. Somewhere on the way to the paddocks he had lost track of José, but there was no time to worry about him now.   A spattering of gunfire came from ahead and in the resulting light, he caught sight of a fellow on a horse across the paddock. He pointed his pistol and squeezed the trigger once. In the dark, with the motion of his horse, and the uncertainty of the whole situation, there was no way of knowing if his shot would even hit. He shot again in hopes that he would at least hit something.   Shooting in the dark was a lot different than shooting at rattlesnakes or beer bottles in the daytime, and neither of those things he'd practiced on ever shot back. These men would shoot back.
    • Brendan chuckled. "Dream? Nah, my dream is to lay around all day with nothin' to do. But this ain't so bad." Now that he thought about it, he didn't really have a dream. Besides being rich someday. There wasn't anything wrong with drifting, but it certainly wasn't the dream.   He led the way into the stable and pointed to an empty stall. "That one can be hers. Oats are in the corner over there if she wants any." He pointed this time to a large sack labeled "oats" stacked on several others like it.   Then he went over to his horse's stall. "This here's Fiona. She's mine." He patted her chestnut nose fondly and entered the stall to start putting her tack on. He was in no hurry to get out on the range, and José's horse needed some time to be fed and watered, so he took his time and even brushed Fiona's coat a bit before putting the saddle on.   "You ever ridden for a place this big before?" he asked, glancing back at the Mexican. It was highly unlikely. Steelgrave had one of the biggest places in Montana and probably in the whole of the territories. Probably.
    • Jay was listening, Addy was pleased with that, and he seemed to understand what she was trying to say, and that made her happy, but then he hesitated and she tried to explain a bit more.   "Yer different, Jay, I didn't never think any man could..."   But then he took her hand and was kneeling in front of her, and her head started screaming, 'No, no, no...don't...'  But her heart was soaring, and her head eagerly followed...   "Addy, do you want to become my wife?"   "I do that."  Grinning, she nodded and squeezed his hands, then pulling him up into a hug.  As much as she had resisted, she'd been wanting this for some time, and she knew he had too, so as quiet and simple as this was, it was all she'd ever hoped for.   And since the words had already been said, it was time to kiss, so she did!   @Jack        
    • Miriam duly reported her sale of the pair of gloves so that her employer could put it down in the books, accurate accounting was important in any business such as this one. He seemed pleased but suddenly informed her he had a 'tip'.   "Oh? Of course, sir," she duly nodded.   "Whenever you sell kid gloves, ask the customer if they'd like to buy some special cleaning spirit of  turpentine, special offer 50 cents!" He rummaged on a shelf and brought down a fancy bottle of blue glass.   "Fifty cents?" that seemed expensive to her reckoning, though she could hardly claim any expertise in such things.   "It' just ordinary turps, 10 cents a bucket from the general store, but some ladies'll buy anything as long as it comes in a pretty container."   "I see," she duly noted though to her it did seem a bit.......dishonest? Still he was the boss, far be it for her to challenge him, "I will remember that in the future, sir."   "Hmmm, Miss Lutz. Was she trying to get you to go to Church?"   Miriam had not seen that coming alright.   "She mentioned how active my friend, Arabella...you know...Miss Mudd...the one who came with Miss Mundee...........is in their church and encouraged me to come sometime to hear and see for myself'" Miriam dutifully answered.   "I told her Papa would not approve."  And to her that settled the matter then and there.  

Mature Content: No

With: Ella Albrecht, her brothers Kurt and Bernhard plus anyone else who wants to join in
When: Friday 23 June 1876
Time of Day: Afternoon

content-divider.png

After her older brother Kurt had helped her out of the wagon, Ella took a good look around.  Kalispell wasn't a big town but it wasn't small either.  There were a number of stores including a large store that seemed to be a dressmaker of some sort.  She couldn't quite tell from in front of Wilson's General Store where they had stopped.  It would be probably the first of many places they would do business with, in the town.  There were much needed supplies to get as well as deals to make to sell their wares.

She went to the back of the wagon to pull her bundle out from amongst the camping equipment they had in the wagon.  The trip from the family farm had taken most of the day and they would have to spend the night out in the open.  Thankfully at this time of year it wasn't that bad sleeping under the stars.  At least she could sleep in the wagon, while her brothers Kurt and Bernhard would be sleeping on the ground.  On their way in they had seen a suitable field where they could hopefully camp providing no-one objected.

Ella smiled at thought of people objecting.  For this first visit to Kalispell she expected no problems.  The three of them knew how to keep their mouths shut concerning what they were really doing on the farm.  For now, they would partially tell the truth and tell people that they were growing only wheat. She knew about the troubles that came with raising sheep in cattle country and the longer they could keep it quiet, the better.

The other problem was that her family were German.  Even though she and all her siblings except for Kurt were born here in America, it didn't matter.  They looked like Americans and spoke with virtually no accent, it was their names that betrayed their origins.  If only Papa and Mama had given them all American sounding names instead of just her brother Paul.

Kurt motioned for her to join them as he entered the general store.  Now there was mystery.  Shortly before his twentieth birthday Kurt had left home.  He was gone for almost ten years, with only the occasional letter to let his family know that he was alive and well.  Then just before they moved to the new farm near Smith Lake, he returned.  Even though he was not good at farming or herding sheep, it was still good to have him around as they would need all the help they could get in the future.

For now, they had supplies to order.  They would collect them in the morning before they left to go back home.  Hopefully, before then she would get some time to see whatever sights Kalispell had to offer.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

It was the first time that the three of them had been together since the wedding, Leonora Lutz was hoping a trip into town with Granny to see Jacob and call in on Clara at the diner would start to mend some broken bridges: bridges, she would have to admit, which she herself had helped to demolish by her somewhat mawkish reaction to the news of Clara’s ‘interesting condition’.

But of course, it wouldn’t be a trip into town with Granny without her making some kind of a ‘scene’ about something or other. This time, walking into the General Store, it was the price of flour she started to rave about: loudly declaring that it would be cheaper to build a windmill and grind her own corn than pay these 'shop bought' prices.

When Granny got like this, Jacob and Leonora used their own secret language to plot her removal from the scene. “Nimm sie mit ins Diner. Ich hole aus dem Gemischtwarenladen, was wir wollen.”* Leonora instructed Jacob, trying to get the old bat out of the General Store and off to somewhere where she wouldn’t be insulting people (or at least fewer people!)

As Jacob removed Granny Miggins from the scene, Leonora looked up at the people entering, and smiled at them sheepishly.

@JulieS et al.

* Take her to the diner. I’ll get what we want from the general store.

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Bernhard turned when heard the German words being spoken.  A part of him was surprised that anybody out could speak his parents' native language and another part of him was surprised to see it coming from the woman who had arrived shortly after they had entered the store.  The old lady seemed to be very dissatisfied with the price of flour and wasn't too shy about letting the store owner know.

Looking over at his sister, he could see her smiling as she looked through some fabrics on one of the counters.  Her back was towards the three people who had come in so that they couldn't see her amusement at the situation unfolding between the old lady and the store owner.  Meanwhile, Kurt was just ignoring the lot of them and talking to the store owner's wife about their order.

The one who had spoken in German, was close enough for him to casually step closer on the pretence of checking some items.  When he reached her side, he whispered, "I don't think the diner is far enough, do you?"

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

The one who had spoken in German, was close enough for him to casually step closer on the pretence of checking some items.  When he reached her side, he whispered, "I don't think the diner is far enough, do you?"

Leonora nearly shot straight into the air!

She was naturally nervous anyway and this whole business with Jacob and the Redmond girl had frayed her already thread-thin nerves. She span around to see who had addressed her: it was a rather untidy farmer type. a little taller than herself, who looked like he could do with a shave and a haircut. Her heart thumped. Sure, she was only a farmer's daughter herself but, well, she kept herself decent, went to church every Sunday and didn't go talking to strange men she hadn't been introduced to. 

She wanted to express her indignant feelings at being approached like this, but was too scared. Instead she let out an alarmed. "Oh! Jacob?!" Her brother strolled over and stuck out his hand to the stranger, totally missing that he was supposed to be indignant, too, that the man was talking to his sister. 

"Hello friend, name's Lutz, Jacob Lutz, this here's my sister Leonora and that nice old lady over there jabbing the store keeper with her finger is our Granny, Mrs Miggins. You folks new in town?" he inquired pleasantly while Leonora looked daggers at him. He wasn't meant to make friends with the ruffian!

@JulieS

Bernhard grabbed the hand that was offered and shook it firmly.  "Nice to meet you both," he said with a smile, "The name's Bern Albrecht."

He pointed over to his brother and sister, "That's my older sister, Ella over near the fabric and my older brother, Kurt talking to Mrs. Wilson"

Returning his attention to Leonora and Jacob, he continued, "Well new to here.  This is our first visit to Kalispell.  We have a farm just south of Smith Lake."

@Javia

Posted (edited)

Bernhard grabbed the hand that was offered and shook it firmly.  "Nice to meet you both," he said with a smile, "The name's Bern Albrecht."

"Albrecht? Das ist ein guter alter deutscher Name!" grinned Jacob, deliberately pronouncing the surname with a SH sound, Albresht. 

He pointed over to his brother and sister, "That's my older sister, Ella over near the fabric and my older brother, Kurt talking to Mrs. Wilson"

Jacob looked over to them, smiled and nodded. Ella was one of the prettiest women he had ever seen in his life, but the fact that he was married now made him automatically shut off his mind, or rather his heart, from any romantic or sexual interest in her. It was sort of liberating, in a way, this business of being devoted and committed to just one woman, forever.

Returning his attention to Leonora and Jacob, he continued, "Well new to here.  This is our first visit to Kalispell.  We have a farm just south of Smith Lake."

"Really?!" Jacob hadn't meant to sound so shocked, it was just that, well, that land wasn't too great for growing any kind of arable crop profitably, and the short grass round there meant cattle tended to stray off of it. He wondered if root vegetables might take or, sure, you could raise hogs. He'd been down that way hunting about a year ago, there had been no farm there then.

"What d'you raise there?" he asked with genuine interest.

Leonora, for her part, had started to calm down a bit, now that Jacob was handling the uncouth person who had approached her so, well, shockingly. She really wished that he would just see him off, though, not engage him in conversation like this. 

@JulieS

Ignoring Jacob's mention of Albrecht being a good old German name, Bernhard just smiled.  He and his siblings had decided long ago to speak German only when they we're at home and only if their parents lapsed into speaking their native tongue.  All of them except for Kurt was born in United States and they considered themselves American.  Kurt included himself in that as he had only been a baby when they had emigrated here.  In a way, Kurt seemed to be the most American of them all.  He had spent more than ten years drifting around the country doing whatever it was that he was doing.  Maybe one day Kurt would tell them all about it and even though he wanted to know, Bern knew not to press the point.

Jacob Lutz then asked about what they were raising, which bought a slight frown to Bern's face.  The last thing he mentioned the sheep, so he had to think of something else.  "We're trying out a few things and seeing what works.  Once we work out what the land is good for, we'll start raising it."

Wanting to distract, Jacob from his line of questioning, Bern turned to Leonora who was looking a bit uncomfortable, "Excuse me Miss Lutz, would like to meet my sister?"

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Jacob Lutz then asked about what they were raising, which bought a slight frown to Bern's face.  The last thing he mentioned the sheep, so he had to think of something else.  "We're trying out a few things and seeing what works.  Once we work out what the land is good for, we'll start raising it."

Lutz nodded laconically, fully accepting this story. "Well, if you ever want any barbed wire cheap, we've got a barn full: Granny there went a little hog wild about the stuff and bought twice as much as we needed to keep the cattle off of our crops. Big cow country round here. I reckon us smaller farmers need to stick together and help each other out."

Jacob hated the sound of his own voice and decided he'd spoken enough. He tried to tip the conversation back Leonora's way, she was being strangely quiet though. Also, she'd gone a peculiar pink colour. Oh well, she went white when she was in a fainting mood, so rosy cheeks were probably a good sign. 

"Lee's reorganising the Farmer's League."

Bern turned to Leonora who was looking a bit uncomfortable, "Excuse me Miss Lutz, would like to meet my sister?"

Ugh, he was talking to her again! And looking at her with those... those soft, sad brown eyes. 

"Yes please." she found herself saying.

@JulieS

Ella was looking at bolt of blue cloth when Bern approached her.  She was deciding whether or not to buy some of the fabric for her younger sister, Anna who had tried to come on this trip but instead had been forced to stay at home.  The blue cloth could be made into a pretty dress which would please Anna and make her forget her disappointment at not being able to go into town.

Bern tapped her on the shoulder and she turned to see what he wanted.  To her surprise, he was accompanied by the woman who had come in with the disgruntled old woman.  The woman looked a bit apprehensive, so Ella gave her a reassuring smile.

"Ella I would like to introduce you to Miss Leonora Lutz.  Miss Lutz, this is my sister, Ella Albrecht," Bern said in a pleasant tone.

Holding out her hand, Ella nodded her slightly, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Lutz."

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Ella I would like to introduce you to Miss Leonora Lutz.  Miss Lutz, this is my sister, Ella Albrecht," Bern said in a pleasant tone.

The other woman could have been a mirror of herself in some ways, she clearly made herself as decent as possible despite the exigencies of living on some distant rural homestead, making her own clothes and having to work outdoors. Well, she did a good job of it, too. She only hoped that she was married: Leonora had previously set her cap at the handsome widower Mr. Aurelian Redmond but, from what she had seen in the Church, he had been ensnared by a newcomer in town - a Mrs Dietrich it transpired.

These newcomers seemed to always sweep into town and steel away the most eligible men!

Holding out her hand, Ella nodded her slightly, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Lutz."

"And you, is it Miss Albrecht?"

She looked down at the cloth that Ella was handling, and thankfully, there was a subject she could comment upon. "Nice, isn't it?" she asked rhetorically and then glanced up to make sure the store keeper wasn't listening "But they have some finer over at Pettigrew's, and about the same price, too."  Well, she needn't feel guilty about losing the Storekeeper a sale, after he'd hiked the price on flour!

After introducing Miss Lutz to his sister, Bern made his excuses.  He needed to find out from Kurt how much of their order could be fulfilled at this store and if they had to go elsewhere.  Besides the ladies had started talking about fabrics, a subject he had no particular interest in.

Ella smiled again as she responded to Lenora's question, "Yes it's Miss Albrecht."

"Nice, isn't it?" she asked rhetorically and then glanced up to make sure the store keeper wasn't listening "But they have some finer over at Pettigrew's, and about the same price, too."  Well, she needn't feel guilty about losing the Storekeeper a sale, after he'd hiked the price on flour!

"Does this Pettigrew have a large range?  I'm looking for something to suit my sister and my mother as well as myself."

She paused for a moment as she wondered if this Pettigrew would be interested in buying some of their woollen items, "Now that I think about it, maybe a visit to this Pettigrew might be worthwhile.  Would you mind showing me the way?"

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Once the young man, Bern, had gone, Leonora immediately felt bad that she had been, perhaps a little brusque in her manner. She considered the fact that perhaps she was just a little antisocial after her long confinement, rather than the man having overstepped any marks. But soon she was in too deep a conversation about the blue material with Ella to give it any further thought.

"Nice, isn't it?" she asked rhetorically and then glanced up to make sure the store keeper wasn't listening "But they have some finer over at Pettigrew's, and about the same price, too."  Well, she needn't feel guilty about losing the Storekeeper a sale, after he'd hiked the price on flour!

"Does this Pettigrew have a large range?  I'm looking for something to suit my sister and my mother as well as myself."

"Oh, much better than here!" Lee half whispered to Ella. "And he's much more likely cut you a deal if you're buying in bulk." 

She paused for a moment as she wondered if this Pettigrew would be interested in buying some of their woollen items, "Now that I think about it, maybe a visit to this Pettigrew might be worthwhile.  Would you mind showing me the way?"

"Well, I have to go there myself for some buttons" she eyed the small haberdashery section of the General Store with what could only be termed 'cold distain' "They've got a much finer selection  than this place." she said in a hushed voice.

As they exited the store and headed across the street to Pettigrew's, Leonora felt courageous enough to pipe up about Ella's brther.

"I hope I wasn't short with your brother. I... I've been ill this last year, bedridden for much of it and I fear I have lost some of the niceties of society while I've been shut in. He seems... very engaging." She felt herself coloring, not too sure why she had blurted all that out. 

@JulieS + @Wayfarer if you would like Miriam to be on duty at Pettigrews.

Ella was mildly surprised that it was Bern who was the first to make an impression with one of the ladies in town.  She considered Bern to be the more quieter one of her brothers...well that was at least until Kurt had returned home.  Kurt was more serious than he used to be and she wondered why.  Whatever he did all those years he was away had a profound effect on him.

However, Kurt was not the person Leonora had asked about.  It was Bern and so Ella obliged her with an answer, "He can be very engaging with the right people and when the topic of conversation interests him. Like most people with our background, he can be a little wary at first but once he takes to you, he's the most congenial person you'll ever meet."

Stopping for a moment, she took a good look at Lenora and nodded, "For someone who has been bedridden for a long time, you look remarkably well.  I know Bern would have noticed that."

Soon they were at Pettigrews and Ella noticed the long name of the store on the sign.  "What a mouthful," she murmured.

After following Leonora into the store, Ella took a moment to look around.  It was full of a lot of things but since it was summer, she couldn't see any shawls or scarves...maybe they were out the back in storage.  Hopefully, the owner was the type to order in advance.

@Javia or @Wayfarer (for Miriam)

• Love 1

Miriam was working in the back but heard the little tinkling of the tiny bell above the front entrance, someone had entered. She immediately stopped midtask and got up to attend to whoever it might be. Dealing with customers was part of her job requirements, one she did not mind. She liked the seamstress work too. It had only been that one dreadful modeling session which was the sole unpleasant part of her employment thus far.

Emerging from the interior she instantly saw two women she did not know. Hardly surprising being she and her family were only recent arrivals themselves. She had been fortunate her father had managed to secure her any employment at all really.

"Good day, ladies, may I help you with anything?" she greeted them with a genuine smile , spoken in a rather distinct mix of Yiddish and New York accent.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Leonora had rather clammed up when Ella had started to assure her that her brother Bern would have been 'aware of how well she looked'! Like she was interested in what he thought about how she looked. Really!

"Good day, ladies, may I help you with anything?" she greeted them with a genuine smile , spoken in a rather distinct mix of Yiddish and New York accent.

Leonora was a little taken aback by the appearance of the little stranger. She had rather expected Mr. Pettigrew himself or Jacob's weird friend, that dreadful Wigfall girl, to appear through the velvet curtains. Before her illness, there had been another girl here, the name escaped her, Daisy Mutlar or something, but she had clearly moved on.

"Hello, are you new?" she asked, rather redundantly but with a friendly enough smile.

"I've just been telling Miss, er, Miss Albrecht here about your stock of blue fabrics, but I don't see any to hand. Do you have some stock in back?" she asked: she would feel shown up if the promised material was not here after all. 

"It really is the best place in town for material" she assured Ella, hopefully.

"It does seem to have a lot of things," Ella replied in a wistful tone.

Looking at the young girl who was serving at the counter, Ella surmised that she must be either an employee or related to the owner in some way she smiled reassuringly before turning back to Leonora, "I think that you may be right...this looks like the best place in town."

Placing the package she had bought with her on the counter, Ella looked at the girl, "I would like to speak to the owner if he or she is here."

@Javia @Wayfarer

• Love 1

ooc: Sorry I missed this one completely, kick me next time!

"Hello, are you new?" one of the women asked, rather redundantly but with a friendly enough smile.

"Umm, yes, I am. But I assure you I can assist you with your needs, ma'am," Miriam nodded. Technically she was a seamstress but she could do clerking on the floor or .......even modeling though less said about that the better.

"I've just been telling Miss, er, Miss Albrecht here about your stock of blue fabrics, but I don't see any to hand. Do you have some stock in back?"

"Blue, oh yes we do. We have so much stock we can't keep it all out here in the shop. Any particular shade of blue? I can bring some of it out should you wish, ma'am," Miriam answered pleasantly.

Placing the package the she had bought with her on the counter, Ella looked at the girl, "I would like to speak to the owner if he or she is here."

"Why yes he is. I can get him for you. His name is Mr. Pettigrew, he knows anything and everything about fabrics . I will go get him for you then fish thru the back for some blues," Miriam was more than willing.

She practically bounced out of the store front and disappeared into the interior of the place. It didn't take long and she reappeared, still smiling away.

"Mr. Pettigrew will be right with you, ladies!"

@JulieS  @Javia

• Love 1

Mr. Pettigrew had been working on the accounts in the back and had heard everything. The more the little Jewish girl worked for him, the more pleased he was with her. He had even let her father know how well she was doing, even at the risk of the old man asking for a raise on her behalf: for her wages went straight into his pocket.  Pettigrew, it had to be said, surreptitiously countered this by giving the girl cash in hand for any extra bits of piece work, beyond her normal duties, that she managed to complete.

He was still putting on his jacket as he came through the curtains. 

"Thank you Miss Kaufmann." He remained formal with his employees, but the warmth in his voice shone through. "Now ladies, er, Miss Lutz isn't it? How well you do look!" Mrs Miggins' granddaughter had been ill for some time, he knew, and he figured that this compliment was the one that might put her in a happy, money spending, mood. "... and , I don't believe I've had the pleasure...Miss?" he beamed ingratiatingly toward Ella. 

@JulieS @Wayfarer

"Miss Ella Albrecht," she answered as she stepped forward and placed her parcel on the counter.  "I do wish to buy some cloth but I was also wondering if you were interested in purchasing some items I have."

As she opened the parcel, she smiled at Pettigrew, "I hope you don't mind me approaching you in this way.  My family are new to the area, and we've been looking for somewhere to sell some of the goods we make."

After opening the parcel, she picked up crochet shawl to the show the owner.  She then pointed to the other items, "There's a scarf and some mittens as well.  We make a variety of woollen garments.  This is just an example of some of them."

@Javia

• Thanks 1

"Miss Ella Albrecht," she answered as she stepped forward and placed her parcel on the counter.  "I do wish to buy some cloth but I was also wondering if you were interested in purchasing some items I have."

"Oh, I never discuss business front of house, Miss Albrecht" Pettigrew informed the woman "Please to come through to the back and we can have a little talk." he opened the velvet curtains to indicate that she might come around the counter and through. 

"Miss Kaufmann, please attend to Miss Lutz, if you please." he instructed the short assistant. His manner was business-like, but never brusque, toward his star seamstress when they were 'on' in front of the customers.

The big cutting table in back of the Millner's was free at the moment so Pettigrew invited the delicate featured woman to use that to show off her wares.

As she opened the parcel, she smiled at Pettigrew, "I hope you don't mind me approaching you in this way.  My family are new to the area, and we've been looking for somewhere to sell some of the goods we make."

"Oh I am always open to new suppliers and new types of stock, if they are items I can sell at a profit, Miss Albrecht: 'never stand still', that's my motto. Has to be in this trade, I assure you." he said seriously. The young woman was no longer a customer, to be fawned over and persuaded: she was a fellow businessman, or rather businesswoman, to be spoken to straight and dealt with fairly.

After opening the parcel, she picked up crochet shawl to the show the owner.  She then pointed to the other items, "There's a scarf and some mittens as well.  We make a variety of woollen garments.  This is just an example of some of them."

Pettigrew picked up the items one by one and, humming and hawing as he did so, examined them minutely,: not only looking at them, but feeling them carefully, noting the lustre of the nap, tugging at them, even, as if he wished to rip the woollen items apart at the seems. Finally he seemed satisfied with his examination. 

"Fine work, Miss Albrecht, very fine work indeed. Of course, June-time isn't really the time to be selling winter woollens, but still there are those that feel the cold even in this weather: older folks, you know. Hmmm, I guess I can take a dozen of each and see how they go, if we can agree a wholesale price. Do you have a stock of these or would you need time to supply that many?" 

Pettigrew was doing a fine balancing act in his mind between profit and loss and overheads: an infinitesimally fine series of calculations which included such odd factors as possible advertising drives to 'buy your winter woollies early!' and the possibilities of moths getting in amongst the stock if he had to store it too long. 

He was looking at the mittens again. "Hmm, yes, very fine work." his watery old eyes looked up at her sparking young hazel orbs. "Where do you get your supply of wool from?" he asked with professional interest.

@JulieS

Posted (edited)

Ella's induction into the back of the store: a place of cutting tables, stock rooms, ledgers and the new fangled sewing machine, left Leonora alone with Miriam, who, she could not help but notice, was really tiny, not much over five feet high, she reckoned. 

"Well, this is a little embarrassing, having a whole person to 'attend to my needs' when all I really want is just to look at some gloves." she laughed nervously, for Miss Lutz was the sort of person who didn't really like to be the centre of anyone's attention: her natural tendencies in that direction having been deepened by her recent illness. Being 'shut in' for a year had left her nervous and agoraphobic, and given to fainting fits. 

"Are you new around here, Miss Kaufmann?" she asked, to draw attention away from herself "You have a most intriguing accent, if it's not rude to mention it." she added in a stumbling sort of way: she really did feel that she had forgotten how to speak, sometimes. 

@Wayfarer

Miriam had told the customers she would go in back once more after notifying Mr. Pettigrew of the need to come out front and see them. But now her employer instructed her to tend to the remaining woman while he talked business with the other.  So that left the young seamstress to stand there then with this customer. She gave her best smile.

"Well, this is a little embarrassing, having a whole person to 'attend to my needs' when all I really want is just to look at some gloves." the lady laughed nervously.

"Oh, well they are right over on that shelf, ma'am," Miriam helpfully pointed out.

"Are you new around here, Miss Kaufmann?" the customer asked, "You have a most intriguing accent, if it's not rude to mention it."

"It isn't rude, ma'am, it's fine. I have only been here for a few weeks, close to a month now. It is probably because I come from New York. I was born in New York and lived there with my family until Papa decided to move out west and set up his own business. "

She decided not to bring up the Jewish part of the accent, some people did not like Jews at all.

• Love 1

"Oh, well they are right over on that shelf, ma'am," Miriam helpfully pointed out.

"Oh! Yes! Would you get them... er, oh, no, don't worry, I'll get them!" Leonora realised that the girl was so short that she would probably have to get the steps to reach them. 

"Are you new around here, Miss Kaufmann?" the customer asked, "You have a most intriguing accent, if it's not rude to mention it."

"It isn't rude, ma'am, it's fine. I have only been here for a few weeks, close to a month now. It is probably because I come from New York. I was born in New York and lived there with my family until Papa decided to move out west and set up his own business. "

"Really? It sounds almost German." replied Leonora, tipping her head curiously. "How brave of your Papa, and your whole family, to come out here, how do you like it?" she smiled, looking at one of the gloves and gauging whether it would fit. 

"Have you made any friends, yet?"

@Wayfarer

He was looking at the mittens again. "Hmm, yes, very fine work." his watery old eyes looked up at her sparking young hazel orbs. "Where do you get your supply of wool from?" he asked with professional interest.

"Ahh...we get our wool from a number of suppliers.  You know people back east who we've meet over the years,"  Ella said in a matter-of-fact way.

Turning back to the point of all this, she continued, "I'm glad you like them.  It takes a while to make things so we like to get an early start in order to have things ready to sell by late fall when people are starting to need them."

She waited for his response and hopefully it would be one that was good.

@Javia

• Love 1

"Ahh...we get our wool from a number of suppliers.  You know people back east who we've meet over the years,"  Ella said in a matter-of-fact way.

"That so, that so?" muttered Pettigrew, sounding utterly convinced by Ella's lies. But he had to wonder: there was that slight, not unpleasant, air of lanolin about the finely made products which indicated the wool might have been shorn, cleaned and spun more locally: and they were clearly all of the same type of wool from the same type of sheep.

Still, that was no concern of his, as long as the young lady could supply what she promised.

Turning back to the point of all this, she continued, "I'm glad you like them.  It takes a while to make things so we like to get an early start in order to have things ready to sell by late fall when people are starting to need them."

"Well, sure, I'll take a dozen of each and see how they go." he decided. It was a gamble, but only a minor one. Then he had an idea.

"You know, Miss Albrecht, a little town like this doesn't have much idea of fashion. Oh, I do my best in my own little way to introduce the more modish patterns and cuts, you know. But there are a few Ladies around here who rather set the trends. I can't see Miss Steelgrave wearing wool, but if you were to give, say, Miss Orr a gift of something from your range and she wore it out and about, you can bet I'd have every little girl with any pocket money to her name banging my door down to try and buy the very same thing."

The canny Worchester Pettigrew knew that Anaesthesia Orr might be a difficult customer, and an unbearable small-town snob, but she made an excellent shop-window dummy! 

@JulieS

• Made Me Laugh! 1