Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   Miss Grimes flicked her stick to the right and struck the package, bending down to retrieve it. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Pike, I have it." she smiled picking up the package and feeling it over for tears. "I hope none of it is peeping out, it is some undergarments and an old dress that needed repairs. I can sew but it's a laborious process for me, and we will be on our way to Kalispell tomorrow."   She managed to bundle up everything in one arm, packages, stick, and stuck out the other to somewhere near Emeline again.   "Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Connolly at the Diner."   @Bongo 
    • "Oh..."  Emeline gasped as the girl dropped her package, and started to bend down to get it, but then hesitated, wondering if perhaps she even wanted help, or might feel insulted at the offer, that it would imply that she couldn't do for herself.   "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   @Javia        
    • He took Frances' hand and gently shook it, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Grimes."   "And you, Mr. Simons." she smiled sweetly.   "If you are interested in joining the ladies group my aunt Rebecca Wentworth will be running, I can get her to send you an invitation or she can personally come to see you."   "Oh, that sounds wonderful, I shall have to see if, er..." stammered the blind girl, and Crabbe could guess why.    "And it doesn't cost anything to join, does it, Ben?" Lorenzo put in.   "It sounds absolutely wonderful Mr. Simons" said Frances, now much more firmly "Please, just an invitation, I mean, just knowing when and when your Aunt would be holding the meetings would be all I need. I shall find it with no problem. What a kind thought, thank you, Mr. Simons."   At the sound of Ben munching, she decided that she had probably outstayed her welcome at his tableside and said "I shall leave you to your repast, Mr Simons, thank you again."   @JulieS    
    • "First off, proper grammar, it is 'like a blind person' not people," Clara pointed out , "And secondly we are here in this kitchen to cook proper meals for paying customers. That is a responsibility I take most seriously. Kindly be more....adult."   "Ain't it funny, Clara, I'm always makin' mistakes like that when I talk in my regular voice, but when I do 'personations of folk, I can speak right if I needs to. Listen to this:..." the gangly, scruffy teenager suddenly stood up ramrod straight at the frying pan and repositioned the spachelor in her hand like she was holding a dainty quill, then started to speak in a refined, maybe even pretentious voice, very unlike her own, with no trace of a southern accent:   "Arabella, would you please desist from precipitating those most distastful and less that utilitarian anecdotal confabulations. I find them most distressing!" All right, the words might not make sense, but anyone who knew Clara would have recognised the rhythm and tone of her voice.   @Wayfarer
    • "There ain't no 'we', Ara, this is between me n' the cowpoke here. You did not knock and I did not say you could come in," Caroline now pointed out as calmly as she could.   "I know..." replied Arabella sadly "An' I know I promised to do all them things but..." she shook her head a little "when I heard all them terrible horrible rotten things what happened to you, I was just so shocked and sad and angry that some low down bastard could do that to my sweet, pretty, lovely little Caroline, I just... well my soul kinda flew out to you, and my big ol' feet foller'd right along behind it."   She reached across and hugged her again and kissed her on top of her head again. Brendan then put in his two cents' worth.   From there, he looked down at Caroline. "Hey. What I was tryin' to say...goin' to say...is that...I understand."   "Good ta know, hon. Just wait a minute and we can continue this conversation once Ara leaves the room, shuts the door, and assures me she won't be listening in anymore. Got that?" Caroline eyed the teenager.   Arabella nodded compliantly enough, but then twisted in the bed so she was face to face with Brendan, whom she stared straight in the eye.   "But before I go, Brendan Connolly, you gotta tell me that you forgive me for all them silly things I said before and all them silly things I did cause even Caroline's forgiven me and she's the one I did and said them things to and we gettin' on all right now and I found out some stuff which made me change and I'm a better person now and it just ain't fair that you're still treatin' me so mean and, and..." she gulped down a sob and a lone tear appeared in the corner of her eye.   "... I really want you to be my friend again..." she wiped away the tear "... please."   @Bailey @Wayfarer

Ella frowned as she hadn't counted on gifting any of her stock in order to get orders.  Whoever this Miss Orr was, if she had the power to entice other young women to buy a shawl or something else then it might be worthwhile.  She would have to explain things to her family but if she knew the reasons why, then they would be agreeable.

"All right, I can give her this one," she picked the most stylish shawl she could out of the three she had bought in, "however, I will reserve the right to ask for the item back if this doesn't work.  Even used a good shawl like this can still sell."

@Javia

Posted (edited)

"All right, I can give her this one," she picked the most stylish shawl she could out of the three she had bought in, "however, I will reserve the right to ask for the item back if this doesn't work.  Even used a good shawl like this can still sell."

Ah, an 'Indian giver!' Pettigrew could not but help chuckle out loud at this reticence on Ella's part to invest in advertising, even if it was of a most unusual variety.

"I can see, Miss, that you are unconvinced at the efficacy of my suggestion. Well, you may call me vain, but I am willing to put my hand in my pocket to prove myself right!" he said good humouredly, holding up a telling finger. "I myself will buy the sample piece, as well as the rest of the order, and present Miss Orr with the piece, for I have as much faith in my business methods as I have in the quality of your wares!"

In Pettigrew's world-view, you definitely had to speculate to accumulate!

@JulieS

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

"Really? It sounds almost German." replied Leonora, tipping her head curiously. "How brave of your Papa, and your whole family, to come out here, how do you like it?" she smiled, looking at one of the gloves and gauging whether it would fit. 

"Oh it is. My grandparents came from Germany," Miriam informed her.

"Yes, we do....thus far. It was a hard journey but Papa believes it was for the best. This town is very....peaceful," Miriam nodded.

"Have you made any friends, yet?"

"Oh yes, I have indeed. One girl in particular, my own age too," Miriam beamed, "She is teaching me so much about the town and the people. We spend all our free time together, she works at the saloon you see. She is an orphan and the saloon owner agreed to take her in."

Now that is what out there aloud, Miriam wondered if perhaps she should not have included that part?

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Oh it is. My grandparents came from Germany," Miriam informed her.

"Do you know whereabout they came from?" asked Lee with interest "My Pa came from Karlsruhe after the revolutions. He was involved." she sighed wistfully as she pulled on the gloves, which were far too tight. "Poor Papa, he was probably the reason they failed." She then asked Miriam if she liked the Town.

"Yes, we do....thus far. It was a hard journey but Papa believes it was for the best. This town is very....peaceful," Miriam nodded.

"Peaceful and prosperous, and becoming more civilised every day." she agreed. Apart form the odd shoot out and bank robbery. 

"Have you made any friends, yet?"

"Oh yes, I have indeed. One girl in particular, my own age too," Miriam beamed, "She is teaching me so much about the town and the people. We spend all our free time together, she works at the saloon you see. She is an orphan and the saloon owner agreed to take her in."

Leonora frowned for a second and then realised of whom Miriam spoke. "Oh, you mean Miss Mudd!" Leonora considered for a moment: the child was somewhat loud and garrulous and ran helter-skelter like a mad thing around the place, but Jacob spoke well of her, in a wry sort of way, and she decided that if Miriam was her friend, then she should be charitable about her.

"Yes, you are lucky to have a friend who is such a paragon of the Church." was about the only creditable thing to say about her that came to mind. "I have not seen you at Church with her, though, Miss Kaufmann, perhaps you follow another denomination" she said it as a statement, but it was really a question. Apart from the Baptists and Mrs Orr's nutty Spiritualists, most other denominations lumped in with the Reverends Evans and Reed's Methodists. It was too horrible to think for a minute that the girl might not attend any church.

@Wayfarer

Miriam shook her head in the negative, "No, I am afraid I do not. Papa would probably know of course."  Not that she could ask him at that moment, the customer would have to make due with a nonanswer.

As to her answer about making friends, of course Miriam immediately gushed about Arabella, full of youthful enthusiasm and indeed, rose-colored glasses.

"Oh, you mean Miss Mudd!" the woman knew immediately.

"Why, yes I do," Miriam smiled.

"Yes, you are lucky to have a friend who is such a paragon of the Church," Miss Lutz stated then added,  "I have not seen you at Church with her, though, Miss Kaufmann, perhaps you follow another denomination"

No sense lying about it, Miriam thought, eventually such things were bound to get out.

"Oh I...well my family have not gone to church here in Kalispell. You see we are Jewish and there is no synagogue around here of course," she could leave out her family also were not exactly fervent Jews.

• Love 1

"Oh I...well my family have not gone to church here in Kalispell. You see we are Jewish and there is no synagogue around here of course," she could leave out her family also were not exactly fervent Jews.

Leonora's smile probably looked a little frozen on her face and her eyes were probably bigger and rounder than usual, but at least she managed not to faint. Jewish! Ughh, poor child. Yes, once you knew, you could see it in the features. Well, there was nothing Leonora could do about the girl's race, but she knew her duty as far as religion went and devoutly remembered  the Jewish peoples' peculiar claims upon the sympathies and prayers of all Gentile Christians. Here was a chance to 'partake in the glorious work of hastening the day when the superscription of the Cross shall be the confession of all Israel' as her church elders would say.

"Well..." she began, turning a sympathetic smile upon Miriam "Should you wish to accompany your friend Miss Mudd to Church on Sunday, under no compunction to join in Christian worship, of course, but merely to attend as a... a fellow member of the community, please do come and sit with me in our pew. You would be more than welcome." she gushed, giving Miriam a kindly touch to the arm: in no fear of being infected with her Jewishness, but rather hoping some first tingling infusion of Christ's holy spirit might be planted as a tiny but goodly seed in the girl's soul. Laying on of hands, as it were.

This is just what Leonora needed. A project.

@Wayfarer

Miriam would have been aghast to know she was now a 'project' but fortunately she was clueless on that subject. In fact she thought the woman took he revelation very calmly.

"Well..." she began, turning a sympathetic smile upon Miriam "Should you wish to accompany your friend Miss Mudd to Church on Sunday, under no compunction to join in Christian worship, of course, but merely to attend as a... a fellow member of the community, please do come and sit with me in our pew. You would be more than welcome." she gushed, giving Miriam a kindly touch to the arm.

"Oh, no thank you. It is kind of you to offer but I am certain my father would not want me to do any such thing.  I am so glad though that Arabella is so devout, what with her organ playing and singing. She talks about it with such...enthusiasm."

Of course left unsaid, most subjects she talks about are with the same enthusiasm. Her sheer energy is one of the things Miriam liked about the girl.

• Like 1

It took a few more minutes for Ella to work out the particulars of her deal with Pettigrew.  When she was done she went back into the store and selected some fabric.  Since the salesgirl was busy with Lenora, Pettigrew served her.

After purchasing the fabric, she went up to Leonora, "I'm ready to go back to my brothers.  If you wish to stay longer, that's fine.  However, I would like to thank you for bringing me here just in case we're gone by the time you get back."

@Javia @Wayfarer

• Like 1

"Oh, no thank you. It is kind of you to offer but I am certain my father would not want me to do any such thing.  I am so glad though that Arabella is so devout, what with her organ playing and singing. She talks about it with such...enthusiasm."

"Yes. We must always obey our fathers" agreed Lee, but then remembered "Yet I cannot but help remember the last words my father said to me when I was a little girl, just before he died. He looked at me and he said 'Leonora, mein liebes kleines Mädchen, Sag niemals nie' which, as you probably know, means 'Leonora, my dear little child, never say never'" She looked a little teary eyed for a moment and then pulled herself together. 

"Oh, but you are right about Miss Mudd's enthusiasm, and it would be a pity if you could not witness the way she plays on that harmonium. I am constantly surprised by the sounds that she manages to get out of it."

Then it was back to business, she pulled off the too tight gloves, with some difficulty, and asked Miriam if they had them in a bigger size. By the time Mr Pettigrew had finished helping Ella with her purchases, Miriam had made a sale. 

After purchasing the fabric, she went up to Leonora, "I'm ready to go back to my brothers.  If you wish to stay longer, that's fine.  However, I would like to thank you for bringing me here just in case we're gone by the time you get back."

"Oh, that it quite all right, I shall walk with you." replied Leonora, but before she went nodded to the store owner "Good day to you, Mr. Pettigrew, and my compliments on your new assistant, Miss Kaufmann has been most helpful!" She gave Miriam a winning smile and mouthed Remember what I said.

Miriam felt bad for the woman as she related a sad memory of her now deceased father, "My condolences, miss. He sounds like he was a smart man."

As for Arabella, Miriam had to remark, "There is really very little that Ar..Miss Mudd does that surprises me."    She meant that as a compliment.

After the light conversation, Miriam scored a sale on top of it as the woman purchased some gloves. Her employer should be pleased.

And then it was time for the women to leave the place and go on their way, Miss Lutz ending with a compliment about her and also mouthing a reminder to remember what she had said. No doubt regarding a church visit. Miriam nodded but already had made up her mind. She was not about to anger her father by doing such a thing.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

With the customers gone, Mr. Pettigrew entered the cloth that he had sold to Ella in the ledger and, while he was there, made Miriam's entry for her.

"What was it, Miss Kaufmann? A pair of kid gloves?" he carefully scribbled in the details, including the detail that she had made the sale. "Hmm, here's a tip..." he motioned a finger in the air, as he often did when he was a about to impart some pearl of wisdom to her.

"Whenever you sell kid gloves, ask the customer if they'd like to buy some special cleaning spirit of  turpentine, special offer 50 cents!" He rummaged on a shelf and brought down a fancy bottle of blue glass. "It' just ordinary turps, 10 cents a bucket from the general store, but some ladies'll buy anything as long as it comes in a pretty container." he explained. 

"Hmmm, Miss Lutz. Was she trying to get you to go to Church?" Either he had heard them talking or she was a known Evangelist.

@Wayfarer

Miriam duly reported her sale of the pair of gloves so that her employer could put it down in the books, accurate accounting was important in any business such as this one. He seemed pleased but suddenly informed her he had a 'tip'.

"Oh? Of course, sir," she duly nodded.

"Whenever you sell kid gloves, ask the customer if they'd like to buy some special cleaning spirit of  turpentine, special offer 50 cents!" He rummaged on a shelf and brought down a fancy bottle of blue glass.

"Fifty cents?" that seemed expensive to her reckoning, though she could hardly claim any expertise in such things.

"It' just ordinary turps, 10 cents a bucket from the general store, but some ladies'll buy anything as long as it comes in a pretty container."

"I see," she duly noted though to her it did seem a bit.......dishonest? Still he was the boss, far be it for her to challenge him, "I will remember that in the future, sir."

"Hmmm, Miss Lutz. Was she trying to get you to go to Church?"

Miriam had not seen that coming alright.

"She mentioned how active my friend, Arabella...you know...Miss Mudd...the one who came with Miss Mundee...........is in their church and encouraged me to come sometime to hear and see for myself'" Miriam dutifully answered.

"I told her Papa would not approve."  And to her that settled the matter then and there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"Hmmm, Miss Lutz. Was she trying to get you to go to Church?"

"She mentioned how active my friend, Arabella...you know...Miss Mudd...the one who came with Miss Mundee...........is in their church and encouraged me to come sometime to hear and see for myself'" Miriam dutifully answered.

Pettigrew gave a visible shudder "Oh, if such things are not to your taste I should avoid them at all possible costs!" he warned "For once a body starts to go along, it is often quite impossible to extract oneself again!" He felt like that about the Freemasonry he was involved in: oh there were advantages to be sure, especially in a business way, but it was rather a call on his time these days, and the mysteries he had hoped it would reveal had so far eluded him. 

"I told her Papa would not approve."  And to her that settled the matter then and there.

"Very good, Miss Kaufmann, very good!" he beamed, patting her on the head "You are a very sensible girl. I only wish I could still say 'My Father would not approve" to get out of such conundrums. And, believe me, there was very little that The Commodore did approve of!" he remembered, fondly. Sometimes Pettigrew had these little little wistful, nostalgic moments when they were talking. Suddenly his eyes looked tearful, and he pulled out his watch and looked at it.

"You have done very well today. Take the rest of the day off, Miss Kaufmann, go and spend some time with your Father. He will not be here forever!" he said, taking out a large hanky and blowing his nose upon it. 

@Wayfarer

Meanwhile, Ella and Leonora had made their way back to the store where Bern and Kurt were.  To her surprise, she found them talking to a tall, blonde haired man.  Bern introduced the newcomer as Sam Wentworth, a ranch hand at the Lost Lake Ranch.

Ella schooled her features to hide her concern that her brothers had meet someone from the cattle ranch that was near their farm.  She knew her brothers wouldn't mention the sheep but still it did concern her.

Hoping to keep the conversation away from what they did, Ella smiled, "Nice to meet you."

She turned to Leonora, "Are you acquainted with Mr. Wentworth?"

@Javia

• Love 1

Hoping to keep the conversation away from what they did, Ella smiled, "Nice to meet you."

She turned to Leonora, "Are you acquainted with Mr. Wentworth?"

Lee gave a tight smile and a nod in Sam's direction. "Yes, Miss Albrecht, all the farmers in these parts are familiar with the Wentworth's and their bosses Mr Thornton and Mr Hale: we are even more familiar with their cattle, when they stray onto our land and ruin our crops." 

Even though she had forebodings about it at the time, now that it was up, she felt like defending their recent erection of barbed wire fences around their land by going on the offensive. 

"I am sorry to say that when that happened a few years ago, and my Grandmother requested compensation, Mr Hale told us we could to go to court and sue for damages, fully knowing that we could not well afford such an undertaking: well, now we have the barbed wire up, and if any cattle damage themselves upon it, Mr. Hale can blame himself!" 

@JulieS

Miriam listened to her employer and it is easy to detect a sort of nostalgia to his topic even sadness or at least, emotion. Perhaps it had not gone well with the man and his own father? And yes that would be sad. But she was not going to say anything aloud, not knowing the details she might just make a verbal blunder.  Where her dear friend Arabella would simply plunge on into the water, the more retrospect Miriam simply paused at the shoreline.

"You have done very well today. Take the rest of the day off, Miss Kaufmann, go and spend some time with your Father. He will not be here forever!" he said, taking out a large hanky and blowing his nose upon it. 

"Oh? Thank you, sir. I appreciate it. Good day then, see you bright and early tomorrow," Miriam both nodded dutifully and flashed a genuine smile. She liked working for the man.

One outside though she did not exactly listen to his advice. Oh she loved her father but that did not mean she, as a teenager, was particularly enthusiastic to spend her free time with him. Papa was a stern man and a busy one, especially as every day's labor brought opening day that much closer for his new butcher shop business.

No, her decision was immediate, she would go to the saloon - the side entrance of course, she only had gone in the front ONCE and that had been quite the mistake. Then she would visit Arabella and maybe that girl would have some free time too. She did know it was too early for Ara to have to be playing the piano for  'the Mundee'  as she had started to think of the saloon entertainer.

• Love 1

Ella was taken aback by Leonora's response.  She had heard the stories about barbed wire along with the stories of how sheep weren't welcome in cattle country.  In a way, she understood what Leonora was saying but she wondered why her new friend would choose to tell Mr. Wentworth her grievances.

Seeing that Mr. Wentworth was a bit uncomfortable, Ella stepped in "Leonora, I have no doubt that you are right but unfortunately Mr. Wentworth is as helpless as we are.  He can only do what he is told to do or risk losing his job.  I'm sure you'll agree that you don't wish him any harm or blame for what his bosses tell him to do."

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Seeing that Mr. Wentworth was a bit uncomfortable, Ella stepped in "Leonora, I have no doubt that you are right but unfortunately Mr. Wentworth is as helpless as we are.  He can only do what he is told to do or risk losing his job.  I'm sure you'll agree that you don't wish him any harm or blame for what his bosses tell him to do."

"Oh Ella, it is very gallant of you to defend them, but I do believe that Mr. Wentworth and his brothers are big enough and bold enough to defend themselves and are certainly well in enough with Shade Thornton and Ezra Hale to influence their decisions. And Mike's the Foreman up at that ranch, not just some hired hand. Still..." she gave Sam a frosty smile "... no hard feelings, eh, Mr Wentworth."

"Besides..." she smiled more genuinely at Ella "... I'm trying to start up again the Farmers Union within in the County, to protect our rights and further develop in the area agriculturally. Might that be something that you or your brothers would be interested in helping with?" she asked, the sort of Evangelical glint flashing in her eyes that she had evinced when inviting the little Jewish seamstress Miriam Kaufmann along to church on Sunday. 

Her eyes moved to Bern's hopefully, and avoided Sam's, pointedly. 

@JulieS

"A Farmer's Union?  That sounds like a good idea," Bern said, "However, it will depend on what our father has to say about it.  Maybe you can tell us more about it over dinner?"

Kurt rolled his eyes at his brother's suggestion, knowing full well that Bern was probably beginning to have more on his mind than the prospects of joining a local union.  Leonora seemed a pleasant enough girl, so if his brother wanted to explore the possibility of furthering a relationship with her, who was he to stop it.  Besides it would be probably end up being a short romance once she and the rest of county found out what they were really doing on their farm.

Ella nodded, "Yes, that would be nice, providing you are available.  We wouldn't want to take you away from your family more than we already have."

Bern smiled, "Err...no we wouldn't want to inconvenience you in any way.  If not, maybe next time I...um we are in town."

@Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

"A Farmer's Union?  That sounds like a good idea," Bern said, "However, it will depend on what our father has to say about it.  Maybe you can tell us more about it over dinner?"

"Dinner?" echoed Leonora, she didn't know if he meant now or some other day. She told herself that the idea was an attractive one as she might be able to round up some more members for the Union, not because she wanted to round up Bern.

Ella nodded, "Yes, that would be nice, providing you are available.  We wouldn't want to take you away from your family more than we already have."

Bern smiled, "Err...no we wouldn't want to inconvenience you in any way.  If not, maybe next time I...um we are in town."

Ah, they meant right now. "No, I mean yes, that would be an excellent idea. 'Strike while the iron's hot!' as they say. My sister-in-law runs the diner right across the street, if that would be convenient." Also, why not get Clara some extra business while they were at it.