• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   Miss Grimes flicked her stick to the right and struck the package, bending down to retrieve it. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Pike, I have it." she smiled picking up the package and feeling it over for tears. "I hope none of it is peeping out, it is some undergarments and an old dress that needed repairs. I can sew but it's a laborious process for me, and we will be on our way to Kalispell tomorrow."   She managed to bundle up everything in one arm, packages, stick, and stuck out the other to somewhere near Emeline again.   "Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Connolly at the Diner."   @Bongo 
    • "Oh..."  Emeline gasped as the girl dropped her package, and started to bend down to get it, but then hesitated, wondering if perhaps she even wanted help, or might feel insulted at the offer, that it would imply that she couldn't do for herself.   "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   @Javia        
    • He took Frances' hand and gently shook it, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Grimes."   "And you, Mr. Simons." she smiled sweetly.   "If you are interested in joining the ladies group my aunt Rebecca Wentworth will be running, I can get her to send you an invitation or she can personally come to see you."   "Oh, that sounds wonderful, I shall have to see if, er..." stammered the blind girl, and Crabbe could guess why.    "And it doesn't cost anything to join, does it, Ben?" Lorenzo put in.   "It sounds absolutely wonderful Mr. Simons" said Frances, now much more firmly "Please, just an invitation, I mean, just knowing when and when your Aunt would be holding the meetings would be all I need. I shall find it with no problem. What a kind thought, thank you, Mr. Simons."   At the sound of Ben munching, she decided that she had probably outstayed her welcome at his tableside and said "I shall leave you to your repast, Mr Simons, thank you again."   @JulieS    
    • "First off, proper grammar, it is 'like a blind person' not people," Clara pointed out , "And secondly we are here in this kitchen to cook proper meals for paying customers. That is a responsibility I take most seriously. Kindly be more....adult."   "Ain't it funny, Clara, I'm always makin' mistakes like that when I talk in my regular voice, but when I do 'personations of folk, I can speak right if I needs to. Listen to this:..." the gangly, scruffy teenager suddenly stood up ramrod straight at the frying pan and repositioned the spachelor in her hand like she was holding a dainty quill, then started to speak in a refined, maybe even pretentious voice, very unlike her own, with no trace of a southern accent:   "Arabella, would you please desist from precipitating those most distastful and less that utilitarian anecdotal confabulations. I find them most distressing!" All right, the words might not make sense, but anyone who knew Clara would have recognised the rhythm and tone of her voice.   @Wayfarer
    • "There ain't no 'we', Ara, this is between me n' the cowpoke here. You did not knock and I did not say you could come in," Caroline now pointed out as calmly as she could.   "I know..." replied Arabella sadly "An' I know I promised to do all them things but..." she shook her head a little "when I heard all them terrible horrible rotten things what happened to you, I was just so shocked and sad and angry that some low down bastard could do that to my sweet, pretty, lovely little Caroline, I just... well my soul kinda flew out to you, and my big ol' feet foller'd right along behind it."   She reached across and hugged her again and kissed her on top of her head again. Brendan then put in his two cents' worth.   From there, he looked down at Caroline. "Hey. What I was tryin' to say...goin' to say...is that...I understand."   "Good ta know, hon. Just wait a minute and we can continue this conversation once Ara leaves the room, shuts the door, and assures me she won't be listening in anymore. Got that?" Caroline eyed the teenager.   Arabella nodded compliantly enough, but then twisted in the bed so she was face to face with Brendan, whom she stared straight in the eye.   "But before I go, Brendan Connolly, you gotta tell me that you forgive me for all them silly things I said before and all them silly things I did cause even Caroline's forgiven me and she's the one I did and said them things to and we gettin' on all right now and I found out some stuff which made me change and I'm a better person now and it just ain't fair that you're still treatin' me so mean and, and..." she gulped down a sob and a lone tear appeared in the corner of her eye.   "... I really want you to be my friend again..." she wiped away the tear "... please."   @Bailey @Wayfarer
Barnabas Pike

Are We Ready To Go?

Posted (edited)

It was early, just past six in the morning, which had dawned cool, but that would change as the day wore on,  he and Em would be on their way for the honeymoon that had been unavoidably delayed by the time that happened. Though the heat of the July sun would follow them. He and the hammerhead roan climbed to top of the trail to the house. The crew was already working to complete the place. He really didn't want anything, or leave any message with the job foreman, he just wanted a solitary look at the place.

He sat taking a breath and letting it out as he gazed on the homestead they would call theirs, but all in due time, of which the crew was aware. They had plenty of time to get it done, and done right. That was what was important. Satisfied, he wheeled the roan and down the trail they went. A trail cut wide enough for a wagon and a horse along side. Once at the bottom and the trail to Kalispell he laid spur by a mere touch and the roan bolted into a full gallop.

Having both of their horse stabled, Pike walked around the corner to the Marshals office and stepped inside. Speed looked up, "On your way?" He asked.

"Jest about. thought I'd leave my badge here, collect it when I get back, well, near as I can figger." He responded, unsure of his future, except that of being with Em on their ranch. The tin badge clattered on the desk top, a hollow sound. "See ya on the way back, Speed."

Speed got to his feet offering his hand. "Have yourself a grand time of it, Pronto."

"That's the plan my friend. Be seein' ya. Good luck gettin' a temporary Deputy." Both laughed, but that was a concern, not that the town was in any eminent danger of anything, and certainly not the Indians. Speed watched him exit and start up the street to the Lickskillet where a surrey waited. His thought turned to Alice, but there was a pang as if something was ending.

image.jpeg.8a2670685ce7312bf4017e2f0632e0d9.jpeg

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Pronto reached the boardwalk, looked at the surrey that would carry them away from Kalispell, and smiled, but, there was a pang of something akin to loss, which he could not put his finger on. It was just there. Though it was now just he and Em and their future going forward. A pleasant a thought as he had ever had!

He opened the door and stepped inside. She would be upstairs packing, or so he hoped, but he was well aware of women and the things that could delay them, but it was time to get started if they were ever going to go, so he decided to go p and see if he could give her a hand, even though he had warned her not to pack too much, he had two changes of clothes as well as his suit. The wedding suit, which was newer that the other one he had.

Opening the door he smiled and said, "Well, certainly looks like time to be heading out. Gonna be a trip, but I promise you, it will be well worth waitin' for."

@Bongo

While she still didn't know exactly where they were going -- she didn't really want to, and Barnabas wanted it to be a surprise anyway -- Emeline was packed as much as she could think to be.  There were the basics -- personal care items, under-pinnings and sleep things -- as well as a couple 'plain' dresses and one nice one, although it wasn't quite the latest of fashion, Kalispell wasn't up to date on those things, and she had had no reason prior to this to worry about what they were wearing in London and Paris.  Besides, she wasn't one to be concerned with that sort of thing, and she was trying to keep her packing to one trunk.

When Barnabas came in, she smiled and ran over to him, giving him a big hug.  "I'm ready!  I've been ready for a long time."  She kissed him, then added, "I can't wait to see where we end up, I know it will be amazing!"

Just to be away from town, alone with this incredible man, the chance to get to know each other in a different setting...she was really looking forward to it.

@Flip

He laughed, "Yep, it will be amazin', well least I think it'll be amazin'. So, unless somethin' jumps up an' delays us, we'll be on our way and when we get back, we move outta here an' into the ranch house." He added. "You was gonna speak to Clara 'bout movin' up here? How'd that go?" he knew the young woman was slated to run the place while they were gone.

It was idle conversation, he was anxious for them to be going, it was going to be a long trip and they were going to be gone for quite a while, though she did not know that, all part of the surprise and the trip of a life time. He doubted they would ever have this opportunity again.

"This here's our big chance ta get outta town fer a spell, to see some things an' do some things before we settle down to the bid'ness of workin' the ranch an' raisin us a family. So I plan ta show ya a real good time." He grinned as he said those words, knowing she had no idea what he was talking about.

@Bongo

"A real good time?"  Emeline grinned widely as they headed downstairs, following the man she'd asked to help with her trunk in exchange for meals for a week.  "So, we're joining a circus?"  Looking at Barnabas, she laughed, then added, "You'd make a great clown, and I could be the lion tamer...you know what a good job I did with Buster!"  She'd miss the one-eyed cat, but he was in good hands between Clara and Addy.

"Yes, Clara is looking to move in, she'll be packing up the rest of my things and making sure they get sent to the house next week."  She waited a moment as her trunk was loaded, then let Barnabas help her into the buggy.  "I'm glad we can help them."  And she was happy that Clara could take over for a while, until she had to take it easy for her pregnancy.

@Flip

Barnabas smiled, "yep, bein' able to help is good. That they two kids get to have a fresh start at things, in a place they can call theirs, that's good, right? I mean, yer plan is that they have this as their first home, instead of livin' out to her Pa's 'er his Ma's." He shook his head, "Ain't no way to start out life tagether."

Once they were outside, the trunk with her things and the smaller one with his things were loaded he looked at her and he smiled wide. "Well now Missus Pike, it would be time fer us ta be on are way. But, maybe if you'd like, farewells to Clara, there's time." Time, there would be plenty of time for them on this journey. Plenty of time for them to get to really know one another in a completely different setting than beautiful downtown Kalispell, and he was certainly looking forward that.

@Bongo

"I think I will," Emeline declared, even though she'd had her good-byes with Clara.  But that had been a couple hours prior, and as much as she was looking forward to her honeymoon, she was going to miss the girl.  "I'll just be a minute."

Giving Barnabas a quick kiss on the cheek, she trotted back into the cafe and to the kitchen, scooping up Buster along the way.

"Clara!  We're leaving now!"  She dropped the cat, then gave Clara a big hug.  "You and Addy take good care of Buster, all right?"  She'd already told Clara she could use her horse whenever she wanted to.  "I'm not sure where we're going yet, but I'll bring you back something pretty!  Is there anything you'd like?  A nice dress, a pretty hat so Granny Miggins can declare you a brazen hussy?"  She laughed, then leaned and whispered in her ear, "I think I might be with child!"  She wasn't sure yet, but she had that feeling!

@Wayfarer; @Flip

Well, Emeline and Pronto were about ready to leave so Clara grabbed a towel and wiped off her hands of flour, she had been working on the day's bakery. She was so happy for the woman, she deserved all the happiness she could get. Pronto seemed like a fine man though she had not much cared for him at first sight. Goes to show you the old saying about don't judge a book by it's cover.

"Clara!  We're leaving now!"  She dropped the cat, then gave Clara a big hug. 

Clara hugged her right back, she was now quite past her strange aversion to hugs thru most of her childhood...well especially after her mother died. And besides, Emeline was the closest thing she had to a mother.

"Oh have a great time. And please be safe. Remind your husband the Indians may still be about," Clara could not help but be a little worried for her.

"You and Addy take good care of Buster, all right?"

"We certainly will. He will be fine," Clara assured her.

"I'm not sure where we're going yet, but I'll bring you back something pretty!  Is there anything you'd like?  A nice dress, a pretty hat so Granny Miggins can declare you a brazen hussy?"  She laughed, then leaned and whispered in her ear, "I think I might be with child!" 

Clara had a ready answer for what to get but when Emeline revealed her OTHER news, she went wide-eyed.

"Oh gosh!  That would be wonderful!  I am so happy for you....and Pronto. Does he know yet? But either way I will keep this to myself until you want it known."

"And just get me a cheap work dress, I can always use another one to be honest. Granny Miggins would not like me if I wore a Bible on my head," Clara added.

Barnabas stood outside by the surrey, flipping the reins in a circular motion, waiting. But as he was finding out, a man was always waiting for females for one reason or another. It was not that he minded. He cast a casual glance about the street. It was a good town, a town worth effort and devotion in whatever sense those traits showed themselves.

Yet, he was ready to get on the trail, there was a long ways to go. There would be trains, and coaches possibly even horseback ahead of them. The surrey would get them to the the first stop and transfer, and it would be there for the return trip. What lay ahead would be eye opening for Misses , that was for sure. He was anxious to get going.

Luggage was packed, food stuffs for a few days, and plenty of water in several canteens, all stowed away properly. The thought of warriors on the prowl after the Custer defeat gave him pause, however, Pronto Pike had his pistols about his waist, his Winchester, extra ammunition, and her shotgun, also with extra ammunition. There were road agents about, but he had little fear of either having the misfortune of interrupting the Pikes honeymoon.

@Bongo@Wayfarer

"And just get me a cheap work dress, I can always use another one to be honest. Granny Miggins would not like me if I wore a Bible on my head," Clara added.

Emeline chuckled, thinking that Clara truly was a girl after her own heart...frilly dresses were pretty, and made you feel elegant, but in the big picture, they were pretty in the wardrobe, and it was far better to have practical things.

"I'll find something."  She smiled and hugged her again, then whispered, "No, I haven't told him, I want to be sure."  Of course, 'sure' was a live child in her arms, she knew well enough from experience, but he'd know long before that unless he was blind!

"Take care of yourself and my godchild!"  Giving Clara a quick kiss on the cheek, she went back out to the buggy, hugging Barnabas before climbing to the seat with his assistance.

"All right, then, we're...what is the saying?  Burning daylight!"  Unlike the beginning of her trek with Andrew, where they were leaving behind home for good, this had a different air of excitement, it was going to be fun, and they'd be coming back to something they knew!

@Wayfarer; @Flip

"I'll find something."  Emeline smiled and hugged her again, then whispered, "No, I haven't told him, I want to be sure." 

"That makes sense, indeed," Clara hugged her right back.

"Take care of yourself and my godchild!"  Giving Clara a quick kiss on the cheek, the woman turned and headed outside, Pronto was waiting for her.

"I will. Little Emeline if it is a girl," Clara pointed out, regardless of what Arabella thought on the matter. Besides who names a child Arabella?

And then it was back to her. Clara had more work to do than ever but that was fine, hard work had never bothered her and Emeline was due this. Gosh she was going to miss the woman already by the morrow.

"Burnin' daylight by the bucket full, but love, we're in no particular hurry. We got us a ways to go yet." He said after getting her into the Surrey. He jogged around, snatching up the ground anchor and releasing it from the halter. Two fine draft animals stamping the hooves, ready to go.

Barnabas got in, snapped the reins and with that pop of leather, Mister and Missus Pike were on their way to their grand adventure which had been planned down to the last detail by Barnabas, well in advance of the actual day of the trip.

"Get comfortable, there water in the skin hangin' on yer side, and some jerked beef betwixt us. Headin' west, girl, headin' west." He didn't even look back as the drove out of town. They would follow the old wagon trail that some of those headed for Oregon had use, and riders still used. It would take them a bit north, past the Redmond place, between Lost Lake and the Evergreen ranches, up into the mountains then down the other side. Open plains, water and game for the biggest part of their trip west. He explained all of that to her as they drove along.

@Bongo

"West suits me just fine!"  Emeline smiled widely as they set out on their adventure, 'west' giving her a small clue of what their destination wasn't!  And she was glad for that...there was nothing particularly back east, save her family, that she was interested in seeing, at least not so much as those things that lay to the west, further into less-explored and 'civilized' places.

So then her mind began to wander, as she wondered...and the possibilities were exciting, no one any better than the other, and truth be told, he could have arranged camping behind the cafe and she would have been happy, to be with him and have him as part of her life now.

"Clara made us some treats, too, and I've cooked on the trail, so we'll feast!"  In a way, it really wouldn't matter what they ate, there was something about being in the fresh air that made meals somehow better...well, when you were on the trail of choice and not necessity!

"I wouldn't mind trying my hand at shooting some sort of game," she commented, "nothing so big as a buffalo, of course, nor so fast as a rabbit, but maybe if we come across a crippled elk?"

@Flip

"Oh, over the first part o' this trip, there'll be opportunity a plenty fer ya to hunt game. Garonteed." He said. After that, well, 'spose there'll be cafe an' rest'ront food to be had, but we'll get by." The pace for the time being was a brisk trot, and it would vary, though running the pair would only happen in an emergency. Which may or may not happen.

'We got us some time ta be out here in the wild, seein' what nature has ta offer. Likely there'll be some sites to compare with the falls at the ranch, but they won't have the same feel as home, nor as much beauty. Fact is, there jest ain't no place like home, and we ain't even moved in yet, but, all in good time, all in good time. Fer now we can enjoy what's presented to us." He gave her a wink as they began the climb.

@Bongo

"I can't wait to see the house finished," Emeline declared, "it's going to be so wonderful to have our own place, it's a dream I've had for some time..."  One that had been snatched away, but was now being returned ten-fold.  "And I can hang my elk antlers on the wall...Oh!  Or maybe we can make a chair with them!"

Um, no, she was not going to have antler furniture in her home!  But it was fun to tease.

"This really is an amazing country, and I'm excited to see more of it."  In truth, one thing she really wanted to see was an ocean, be it Pacific or Atlantic, she couldn't imagine so vast a body of water.  But the Pacific Ocean was quite a ways away, so that would have to wait for a time, until the children they didn't yet have were grown and moved out.

"It will be an adventure!"  It wasn't as if there were any major towns between here and Spokane, so Barnabas was right that they would have some good time together, but hopefully not too much excitement.  "Then we will be home and starting a completely new adventure!"

Posted (edited)

An adventure she said, and that is exactly what it was going to be. And the hunting aspect, she could have her chance almost any time as they pressed forward. With plenty of daylight left, they could make good time, although it was going to take some time to reach the destination he had in mind.

"I reckon that it'll be a new adventure. You kin purdy much count on that. Not that I see life as gettin' wild an' woolly up to the ranch. I just think life together oughtta be real interestin', if not excitin', well, time ta time. Raisin' cows, and horses, an' kids'll be a real task, but I gotta say, it'll shorely be worth it, ever' minute of it."

@Bongo

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

"I guess it depends on 'adventure'," Emeline mused, "just learning how to run a ranch sounds like a good adventure, there's so much to consider."  Of course, he'd likely thought out all the logistics to do with feed, calving, shelter, medicine, water, more that she'd never even think of, and then the details of running the household, some she was familiar with, and others, such as bookkeeping and dealing with seeing to the needs of the hands...

It was going to be discovery for them all, but she at least had experience running a business, so she knew she'd catch on pretty quickly.

Time passed quickly with planning and idle chatter, and then the lengthening shadows and chill creeping into the air told them it was time to look for a camp.  At least they didn't have to worry about supper, and coffee was easy enough to make, she could do that while he tended the horses and set camp, and she knew they worked well as a team.

@Flip

With camp set, dinner on the fire, and the fading daylight of day one, Barnabas 'Pronto' pike surveyed his new life. Not so different than his old life really. He had spent many a night on the trail here and there throughout his history, yet there was one major difference, Missus Pike. Now, everything was different in that he needed to think for two.

He walked up to her as she tended the pot hanging from the iron rod. "Ya know Missus Pike, as of today, you 'n me, well, we're free of what we left behind. The ranch, in good hands, the cafe, also in good hands, our worries boil down ta have supper an' fightin' off the chill." He put his arm around her. "I expect we'll tend to both shortly."

"Jest wanted you to know thet I love you. I'm glad of our union, an' ever-thing that'll come our way as a result of it. Fact is, wouldn't have it any other way." He smiled, "But, I plan to show you a time, a time we'll remember the rest of our days."

@Bongo