Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Brendan simply sat in the bed and listened to Caroline. That was the least he could do. But at least she was saying good things about him. He would have felt proud in any other circumstances, but right now he just felt guilty, as though he had somehow had a hand in Caroline's horrible fate.   His eyes widened in surprise as she kissed him. The kiss was not deep, but it was still affectionate, although not the kind of affection he had imagined when he had imagined being kissed by Caroline. But, in a way, this was better.   He lifted a hand and put it at the back of her neck. Doing that felt all right - to him, anyway. It was the natural thing to do when someone kissed you. He knew that if his hand slid down, it would be resting between her bare shoulder blades. Instead of sliding his hand down, he let his fingers slide off the back of her neck and down onto the sheets as she pulled away.   "I've never been so glad to get a consolation prize," he said in a light-hearted tone. Because that's what the kiss had been.
    • "Oh, Miz Addy doesn't scare easy," Weedy pointed out, "she even killed a bear that killed one of her horses!"  He was real proud of her for that, even though she didn't make much of it.  "Gave the carcass to the Piutes, but she kept a couple of the claws."   He led the way into the kitchen, where there was a table that (barely) seated four, although there were only three chairs, a small stove, pantry and a sink complete with indoor pump.  "Here's some water."  Carefully, Weedy used the pump to fill a tin mug that he handed to Isiah.   "We can put the horses behind the house, and you can just stay in here when she gets home."  He looked up at the man with a grin.  "Are you the brother who pushed her in the lake or left her in the tree to find her own way down?"   @MD
    • Lucinda smiled as Clara emerged from the kitchen. The girl was so young, and so solemn, even though the expression on her face was pleasant. She had been slightly nervous about asking the new Mrs. Lutz for work - never having asked anyone for work before - but how could she be scared of a woman as young as Clara was?   "Well, actually, I was hoping that I might be able to help you." She held her hat with both hands so that it touched her knees. "My name is Lucinda Dietrich. I don't know how much Emeline told you, but I'm new in town. I helped Emeline wash dishes one night and she told me that if I couldn't find work, to come back here."   She paused, unsure of what to say next. Up until now she'd just been filling Clara in, but now she actually had to ask for work. How did one do that?   "Could...could you use an extra hand in the kitchen? Or out here?"
    • "Hello? Who is there, please?" asked Frances, raising her voice that the stranger outside might hear.    "Marshal Speed Guyer, Miss Grimes," He announced.   When she realized that it was the Marshall, she let him in immediately. "Is this about my brother?" she asked, in a voice that betrayed the fact that she would be surprised if it was about anything else.   "I'm afraid so ma'am," He was not not surprised, "Perhaps you'd like to sit down." He gave her a moment before continuing, "I'm afraid that your brother Frank got into an argument with some men at the Stardust Saloon earlier.  Unfortunately for him, he drew his pistol, and was killed." That did not come out the way he had intended. It sounded hollow and cold.   "I have what money he had on him, and some from the sale of his gun totaling thirty-five dollars." He added. "Also, there is the question of his horse and saddle. If you like, Miss Grimes, it can be sold and the money would come to you." He had hoped to make the delivery of Franks death much more smooth, but he felt a failure in that department. @Javia
    • Arabella listened with rapt attention to Mr. McVay's story about how he and his late wife had met and married. Oh, it was no heart-pounding tale of wild romance, as might be found within the yellow tinged pages of a dime novel; but neither was it the cold and stodgy retelling of some arranged twinning based upon financial dowries and settlements, as was so often the case. No, it was a nice, cosy, warm story: and Arabella smiled happily through the bulk of it.   But then came the dreaded and awful denouement.    "The winter of '74 Beth took a serious fall while I was at work. By the time I got home her leg was swollen, the house was like ice, and I was in a panic."   Arabella, who had been imagining Mr. and Mrs. McVay's idyllic life together so vividly, gasped, and her face fell.   He paused again. "I got her to the doctor who had her admitted to the hospital where they tended to her leg, but within days pneumonia set in. Not having the necessary strength to fight it, she succumbed."   "Oh, McVay..." sighed Arabella, leaning forward, eyes wide, her lower lip beginning to tremble.   He fained a smile, but his now red rimmed eyes were forming tears. "And, here I am."   The girl from Virginia, who was given to wearing her heart on her sleeve and crying at the drop of a hat at the best of times, now burst fully into great sobbing tears and running over threw her arms around the hard bitten reporter and wrapped him in a chaste and heartfelt hug.   "Oh poor Beth! And poor Mr. McVay!" she wept, before disentangling herself and wiping her nose on her sleeve. "and now you're here and... you're all... all alone in the world. Sniff."    @Flip

Mature Content: No

With: Clara, Charlie
When: Early July
Time of Day: Morning

content-divider.png

Clara had just emerged from the general store carrying a basket of goods she had purchased for the Lick Skillet.The basket was full but with nothing too heavy excepting the flour bag or too delicate, excepting the dozen eggs nestled on top, wouldn't want those to break. All necessities for baking though but she was used to this errand and had never dropped a basket before.

Married life was settling in for her, she felt. Some things had changed but others remained routine such as her job in the diner, which she still loved. Though Jacob had a farm background like her and originally she told him he should continue to be a farmer, she now had ambivalent feelings about farm life. She liked being in town maybe being a farmer's wife was not for her. 

But it was not all smooth. On occasion she would notice local ladies seeing her and then whispering among themselves. In fact one busybody actually stopped to tell her that she had been much too young to marry so early. And the woman had ended with a cryptic  "you don't fool anyone you know" before walking off nose in the air. Clara had been very unlike her natural self that time merely taking it silently and continuing on her way. It had taken all her self control not to snap back with some choice comments of her own. Still that would only have made it all worse.

And then, who should be coming toward her then on the same side of the boardwalk, but Charlie. Wait.....was he wearing a badge?  A lawman's badge? No, that couldn't be. Who in their right mind would hire a young man like Charlie for such a vital and , yes, dangerous job? 

There was no avoiding him now, not that she should have to avoid him anyhow. It was her life and she could live it like she wished. Guess same went for him too of course.

"Hello, Charlie."

@JulieS

• Wow! 1

After a tour of the Marshall's office and the rest of the municipal buildings, one of the first things he had to do was get to know the lay of the town better.  Marshall Guyer had told him that he needed to know what was what and where was where, especially side streets and the alleys.  If there was a disturbance at a certain store he needed to know where it was and not waste precious time trying to find it.

So, it was on his first day as a deputy, he found himself walking down main street and smack dab right into Clara.  He couldn't avoid by crossing the street as she had probably seen him already and so he continued to make his way towards her.

"Hello, Charlie."

Charlie tipped his hat, "Ma'am."

Since she was now a married woman, he couldn't call her by her first name anymore, which made him sad.  Their relationship, for what it was, could never be the same again and the less time he spent her company the better.  In the month or so, since she hadn't gotten married, he had been slowly coming to terms with the fact that what he had felt for her was a one-way street.  Even if she felt something for him more than friendship, it didn't matter any longer.

However, as a deputy, he supposed he would have to make some sort of conversation with her, even if it was just to foster some goodwill.  "I hear that you're running the Lick Skillet in Mrs. Pike's absence.  I hope all is well there."

@Wayfarer

• Love 1

Ma'am? Clara had not expected that! They had been on a first name basis even back on the ranch and at the dance too.

"I am still Clara," she pointed out softly.

At least he stopped and was not simply going to saunter on past her, that was something.

"I hear that you're running the Lick Skillet in Mrs. Pike's absence.  I hope all is well there."

"Oh yes, I am but Eme....Mrs. Pike still is the owner. No one could replace her. But yes, things are going as well as could be expected," she nodded.

"I take it you know then that I am married now? To Jacob Lutz," she announced, it was a small town and news traveled fast plus it was indeed in the local newspaper.

Then she couldn't hold it in any longer, "Nice badge. Is that not a deputy's badge?"

@JulieS

• Love 1

"I take it you know then that I am married now? To Jacob Lutz," she announced, it was a small town and news traveled fast plus it was indeed in the local newspaper.

"I know," Charlie answered solemnly and left it at that.

Then she couldn't hold it in any longer, "Nice badge. Is that not a deputy's badge?"

"Yes, it is.  In fact it's my first day today.  Marshall Guyer has decided to give me a chance and teach me what he knows," he paused for a moment to remember that Clara knew about his drinking problem.  "And before you ask, yes he does know about my vices.  About a month ago, I made a promise to myself and a few other people to give up drinking for good.  I don't intend to go back on this promise, not for you or anybody else."

@Wayfarer

• Liked your post, Pard! 1

Well then, it wasn't just for show. It seemed the sheriff had went and hired on Charlie to be a deputy. Surprising to say the least. Guess he didn't like being a cowboy on the Lost Lake ranch?

"Well congratulations then, Charlie," Clara really did wish him well. And it wasn't the most safe of jobs.

"And before you ask, yes he does know about my vices.  About a month ago, I made a promise to myself and a few other people to give up drinking for good.  I don't intend to go back on this promise, not for you or anybody else."

Clara frowned, what was that supposed to mean?

"Excuse me? Go back on your promise for me? What do I have to do with either your drinking or your keeping your word? Surely you are not implying I was the cause of your ...vice?"

Why did he always do this? Say something to rile her up?

@JulieS

Charlie frowned.  He hadn't meant to say that she was part of the problem.  Almost every time he saw Clara, he had a habit of blurting out what he was really thinking or feeling.  "Look I'm sorry if I implied that you're the cause of my vice.  My vice started long before I met you.  It's just that you...well it's just that you..."

He stopped not knowing what else to say.  However, a question came to the front of his mind that he now wanted to know the answer to.  "Why Lutz?"

@Wayfarer

• Like 1

So there he was yet again, apologizing for something he said to her. That was all well and good, but it might help if he actually learned his lesson and didn't do it anymore. But he couldn't quite finish this one.

"My vice started long before I met you.  It's just that you...well it's just that you..."

"I what?" Clara prodded, he was apparently undermining his own apology with something new?

"Why Lutz?"

"Why as in why did I marry him?" Clara thought the question a mite too general but was still more than willing to answer.

"Because right from the very first time I met  Jacob he was the perfect gentleman, he was kind to me, he did not criticize, he had only compliments. And I knew it...from the start I just knew he was sincere, genuine. We just hit it off," she tried her best to explain but then some things weren't logical anyhow.

"Yes, we were undoubtedly impetuous but when he asked me to marry him, I did not have the slightest hesitation. I just knew. He was the one."

Charlie slowly shook his head.  "To me, you were someone who deserved to be courted properly so that you would have time to get used to it.  I never thought that you were the type to jump straight into something without thinking long and hard about it. What you did was impetuous, and I hope that in years to come you won't regret it."

Feeling the need to clarify more, Charlie went on, "What I mean to say is that you're only sixteen. You've never really had the chance to do all the things you should have and now you never will.  Despite the arguments we always seem to get into, I really do care for you, Clara and I wanted to...well I just wanted to."

@Wayfarer

Clara gave him the courtesy of hearing him out but that didn't mean she agreed with what he said.

"I already admitted I was impetuous but I do not agree with you that I did not think it out. Frankly you have no idea what I considered or did not consider," she countered.

"And the way you talked to me when we did converse those few times, I had absolutely no idea you had any ideas about courting me. Though once I met Jacob, it would not have mattered," she added.

He went on, "Despite the arguments we always seem to get into, I really do care for you, Clara and I wanted to...well I just wanted to."

"You know, Charlie, IF you really do care for me like you say you do, then you would wish me the best in my future and be happy for me that I have found someone I love. Just as I now am going to wish you the best of luck in your deputy job and hope and pray you stay safe because I do not wish anything bad happen to you."

• Love 1

Charlie was now at a point of not knowing quite what to say.  The way she talked about Lutz made him sound like he was a knight in shining armour.  He wondered how Clara would handle it when the chinks started to show.  In the month or so since their wedding, he had heard a few stories about Jacob Lutz and most of them weren't very favourable.

Still, there was nothing he could do now and the last thing he wanted to do was to make out that he was happy about her union.  He sighed heavily, "I'm sorry Clara.  Maybe I should have made my intentions more clearer but I thought you were and are still too young.  To say that I am pleased about your marriage would be a lie."

He lowered his head slightly,  "The only thing I can offer you is that I hope that your husband will do his best when the future comes and that you won't suffer if he doesn't."

@Wayfarer

• Wow! 1

"I'm sorry Clara.  Maybe I should have made my intentions more clearer but I thought you were and are still too young.  To say that I am pleased about your marriage would be a lie."

Clara frowned but that soon turned into a glare. And after she had just told him she wished for the very best for his new law career.

"The only thing I can offer you is that I hope that your husband will do his best when the future comes and that you won't suffer if he doesn't."

She was not going to stand here and be hurt like this. Oh, she wanted to say more but what good would it do and what difference would it make? None.

"We are done here. I will never make the same mistake again of trying to talk to you. We have nothing further to say. Good day to you, Deputy," she said thru gritted teeth then stepped to one side of him and kept on walking.

More-Clara.jpg

• Love 1

Charlie frowned and then shook his head slightly as Clara walked off.  Part of him regretted not being more tactful but a part of him wasn't sorry.  It was best that they parted the way they did.  Anything more friendlier and that might have given him cause to hope that if anything happened to her husband, he would have a chance.  A chance was the last thing he wanted now that she was another man's wife.

From now on, whenever he encountered her it would be in his official capacity as deputy and she would be treated the same as any other married woman in the community.  However, deep down he knew that if she ever got into trouble, he would be the first to rush to her side and from what he knew of Jacob Lutz, that was a distinct possibility.  Considering how young both of them were, they had a lot of growing up to do.

A small smile appeared on Charlie's face.  Maybe sometime in the future, he and Clara could be friends again, when he could look at her without feeling that he missed out on something.  In the meantime, he had a lot of growing up to do himself.  With that thought in mind, he continued his rounds of the town.

• Love 1

ooc: End thread?   As usual it ends badly between them 😋

Edit: Yep...a good or is a bad place to end ;)