• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Brendan simply sat in the bed and listened to Caroline. That was the least he could do. But at least she was saying good things about him. He would have felt proud in any other circumstances, but right now he just felt guilty, as though he had somehow had a hand in Caroline's horrible fate.   His eyes widened in surprise as she kissed him. The kiss was not deep, but it was still affectionate, although not the kind of affection he had imagined when he had imagined being kissed by Caroline. But, in a way, this was better.   He lifted a hand and put it at the back of her neck. Doing that felt all right - to him, anyway. It was the natural thing to do when someone kissed you. He knew that if his hand slid down, it would be resting between her bare shoulder blades. Instead of sliding his hand down, he let his fingers slide off the back of her neck and down onto the sheets as she pulled away.   "I've never been so glad to get a consolation prize," he said in a light-hearted tone. Because that's what the kiss had been.
    • "Oh, Miz Addy doesn't scare easy," Weedy pointed out, "she even killed a bear that killed one of her horses!"  He was real proud of her for that, even though she didn't make much of it.  "Gave the carcass to the Piutes, but she kept a couple of the claws."   He led the way into the kitchen, where there was a table that (barely) seated four, although there were only three chairs, a small stove, pantry and a sink complete with indoor pump.  "Here's some water."  Carefully, Weedy used the pump to fill a tin mug that he handed to Isiah.   "We can put the horses behind the house, and you can just stay in here when she gets home."  He looked up at the man with a grin.  "Are you the brother who pushed her in the lake or left her in the tree to find her own way down?"   @MD
    • Lucinda smiled as Clara emerged from the kitchen. The girl was so young, and so solemn, even though the expression on her face was pleasant. She had been slightly nervous about asking the new Mrs. Lutz for work - never having asked anyone for work before - but how could she be scared of a woman as young as Clara was?   "Well, actually, I was hoping that I might be able to help you." She held her hat with both hands so that it touched her knees. "My name is Lucinda Dietrich. I don't know how much Emeline told you, but I'm new in town. I helped Emeline wash dishes one night and she told me that if I couldn't find work, to come back here."   She paused, unsure of what to say next. Up until now she'd just been filling Clara in, but now she actually had to ask for work. How did one do that?   "Could...could you use an extra hand in the kitchen? Or out here?"
    • "Hello? Who is there, please?" asked Frances, raising her voice that the stranger outside might hear.    "Marshal Speed Guyer, Miss Grimes," He announced.   When she realized that it was the Marshall, she let him in immediately. "Is this about my brother?" she asked, in a voice that betrayed the fact that she would be surprised if it was about anything else.   "I'm afraid so ma'am," He was not not surprised, "Perhaps you'd like to sit down." He gave her a moment before continuing, "I'm afraid that your brother Frank got into an argument with some men at the Stardust Saloon earlier.  Unfortunately for him, he drew his pistol, and was killed." That did not come out the way he had intended. It sounded hollow and cold.   "I have what money he had on him, and some from the sale of his gun totaling thirty-five dollars." He added. "Also, there is the question of his horse and saddle. If you like, Miss Grimes, it can be sold and the money would come to you." He had hoped to make the delivery of Franks death much more smooth, but he felt a failure in that department. @Javia
    • Arabella listened with rapt attention to Mr. McVay's story about how he and his late wife had met and married. Oh, it was no heart-pounding tale of wild romance, as might be found within the yellow tinged pages of a dime novel; but neither was it the cold and stodgy retelling of some arranged twinning based upon financial dowries and settlements, as was so often the case. No, it was a nice, cosy, warm story: and Arabella smiled happily through the bulk of it.   But then came the dreaded and awful denouement.    "The winter of '74 Beth took a serious fall while I was at work. By the time I got home her leg was swollen, the house was like ice, and I was in a panic."   Arabella, who had been imagining Mr. and Mrs. McVay's idyllic life together so vividly, gasped, and her face fell.   He paused again. "I got her to the doctor who had her admitted to the hospital where they tended to her leg, but within days pneumonia set in. Not having the necessary strength to fight it, she succumbed."   "Oh, McVay..." sighed Arabella, leaning forward, eyes wide, her lower lip beginning to tremble.   He fained a smile, but his now red rimmed eyes were forming tears. "And, here I am."   The girl from Virginia, who was given to wearing her heart on her sleeve and crying at the drop of a hat at the best of times, now burst fully into great sobbing tears and running over threw her arms around the hard bitten reporter and wrapped him in a chaste and heartfelt hug.   "Oh poor Beth! And poor Mr. McVay!" she wept, before disentangling herself and wiping her nose on her sleeve. "and now you're here and... you're all... all alone in the world. Sniff."    @Flip
Barnabas Pike

The Pike Family Excursion

"Oh, good heavens, no!"  Emeline hadn't expected him to call her bluff, and she shook her head, laughing.  "It isn't at all practical, and I have no intention of pretending that something is...good...just because it's a fashion somewhere where women have nothing better to do with their lives besides creating absurd fashions!"

It was a pretty harsh declaration, but Emeline had never been one to be taken in by fashion, and silly hats and bustles had no place in a life where you had to put in honest labor to get by, or just to maintain a house and run herd on children.  And honestly, she thought that life was far more rewarding when you had something to show for your efforts.  Besides, they had a new house and business, so there were better ways to spend money.

"We'll see, though, I might find something nice for church."  And the rare occasion when there was a formal sort of occasion, such as a wedding.  "Of course, you never know, once I see something, I might just lose any good sense!"

@Flip

Barnabas looked at her with the ever present grin and said; "I figger you'll do what ya want about sech things, an' a'course it'll pretty much depend on where we are when ya come ta yer decision of what to wear an' how ta wear it. Portland, well, we'll jest be there a day 'er so. Long enough ta get outfiffed fer the steamship trip..

"Frisco? Now that'll be a differn't story all tagether. She's a pretty highfalutin' town, but you 'll see that when we get there and i 'spose you'll come ta see the way of things there. 'course, folks don't much appreciate it bein' called Frisco. Word is, they prefer San Francisco. Somethin' I need to rememeber." He thought perhaps it was probably past time to tell her where they were headed on this trip. "After thet, we'll be on board the railroad. That'll get us inta Nevada, and then the V&T'll carry us up ta Virginia City. Got some business to attend to up there that needs ta be done in person. But it'll be a grand time, fer shore."

@Bongo

"Really?  Virginia City?"  Another place she didn't know much about, except that it was where Barnabas was from...well, most recently, anyway, as he'd traveled and lived over a better part of the west.  "I'd love to see the mine there, I've heard so much about it, and I've never been in one."  Most people had never been in a mine, and she rather thought that most people didn't even think about it, but then, most people didn't own one.

"What's it like inside?  Is it hot?  Cold?  Can you see the gold glittering on the walls?"  Her imagination was having a field day!  "I can't imagine how dark it must be."  Then she frowned.  "Are there bugs?"  Of course, there would be bugs, there were bugs everywhere, right?  And in the dark isolation of a cave, they might have a chance to grow big and ugly, if you could even see them in the dark! 

"Oh, but it's not a cave, right?  It's tunnels that have been dug into a mountain, right?  I can't imagine the work that would take."  But then, there were train tunnels carved all the way through mountains, an amazing feat of work!

@Flip

"Really?  Virginia City?"  Another place she didn't know much about, except that it was where Barnabas was from...well, most recently, anyway, as he'd traveled and lived over a better part of the west.

"Yep, really. Won't be like Portland nor 'Frisco. She sit on the side of Sun Mountain. Gotta a view that you can see for miles on most days."

"I'd love to see the mine there, I've heard so much about it, and I've never been in one."  Most people had never been in a mine, and she rather thought that most people didn't even think about it, but then, most people didn't own one.

"We can do that, we can. Not sure what my holdin's are these days, well, 'cept that the money comes in ever month like clock work. Now, gettin' inside ain't no real problem, well it never was before.  But like I said, I just don't rightly know what my actual holdin's are."

"What's it like inside?  Is it hot?  Cold?  Can you see the gold glittering on the walls?"  Her imagination was having a field day!  "I can't imagine how dark it must be."  Then she frowned.  "Are there bugs?"  Of course, there would be bugs, there were bugs everywhere, right?  And in the dark isolation of a cave, they might have a chance to grow big and ugly, if you could even see them in the dark!

"Mostly she's hot, real hot in some places, but folks have been known to go down a ways and have themselves a party. Ain't none to sure about bugs, but likely there are. Never was no miner tho, won a third share in the Yellow Jacket Mine playin' poker. I was a just a deputy Sheriff that got lucky one night in the Delta Saloon."  Pike went on.

"Oh, but it's not a cave, right?  It's tunnels that have been dug into a mountain, right?  I can't imagine the work that would take."  But then, there were train tunnels carved all the way through mountains, an amazing feat of work!

"Nope, not no cave, nor tunnels, shafts. A straight down affair most times. Some ya walk in a ways afore ya reach the hoist with  a cage ta git ya down to the workin's, an' that could be a ways down. They been shorein' it up with square set timbers since the sixties so they go deep. Been said Ol' Virginny won the war and built 'Frisco along with a lotta real rich follks. Might even get to see a couple of 'em."

He paused then added, "Now, I never mentioned the money comion' in, not ta hide it from ya, jest never thought much about it. But, well, that's what bought the land, an' that's whats payin' them fellers a buildin' are home. An' footin' the bill fer this here trip too." He looked at her, then down, and then back up. "T'weren't no secret ." He explained. "Ya got a right ta know."

@Bongo

"You have mentioned the mine, but never the specifics about it," Emeline commented, "that's why I'm excited to see it, although going deep into the earth might be...unsettling...but I'll do it!"  Of course, now, she was letting her imagination run wild, trying to picture what it might be like, but then, she was going to do it regardless.

"It's good that you aren't borrowing, large debt can lead to so many problems."  She wasn't accustomed to discussing finances, even though she had a good handle on them from managing her own business, but this was his realm, now that they were married, and he certainly could handle them as he saw fit, although she might have something to say about it if she felt debt was getting too deep.

Even so, she was a little (all right, a lot) curious about just how much the mine was bringing in every month, but it wasn't her place to ask.

"Thank you for being open with me.  I know it will take some time, but soon the ranch will be bringing in a good income, don't you think?"  Likely, though, most of that would go back into the business, but it was still good to think that they wouldn't have to depend on anyone.

@Flip

"Well, sure, the mine. Here's the thing about that. I owned a third of the Yellow jacket, and my friend, Captain Theodore Gillian Taylor, late of the Army of Northern Virginia, wired me, my third share was invested in a comp'nee called Con-Virginia. Consoly-dated Virginia which is comprised of a number 'a mines, which in turn increases profits." He explained. "Hard 'nuff fer me ta keep up with so explainin' it to ya ain't no easy chore."

"I brung us two thousand dollars, some cash, some cashiers checks writ on my accounts in Helena. that's whare the money goes from Nevada. Cash was in the bank in town, since replaced by wire transfers. Cashiers checks come by mail took a bit, but we had the time." He smiled then, "You'll want fer nuthin' on this trip. Way I planned it."

He realized that by and large, he was wealthy, meaning she was wealthy as well. His plans were to buy up land, where he could, and raise beef. He had even begun thinking of investing, now that he had a wife and a home. he would look around, maybe read up on what folks were putting their money in, and of course, talk it over with Em, his partner.

"We'll get ya down in a shaft, not sure which, but one of 'em. I need to tell ya that you an' me, we're well off. even when the mines dry up, which they're gonna, we'll be well off, jest no sense spreadin' it around. You kin purdy much have anything ya want, an' certainly anything ya need. So when we hit Portland we'll sell off the rig an' horses, buy us some nice clothes for the trip down ta 'Frisco, cuz down there we'll get the latest fashions fer the rest of the journey. Ain't sparin' no expense for ya."

@Bongo

"What?"  The question was whispered as she looked at him in shock.  Oh, she knew he was well-enough for money, even a bit more than that, but...

"You have two thousand dollars for the trip?"  Far more than enough to buy a house, much the less a jaunt around the rest.  And Barnabas wasn't frivolous with his money, so if he designated that to a trip, what did that mean he had in total?

"You have that much?"  It was hard to wrap her head around, and she suddenly felt the need to pace, to try to figure it all out.  Oh, sure, being financially secure was wonderful, but being beyond secure...it changed everything...well, not everything, she and Barnabas were still the same...but...the dynamics of life had shifted, her way of thinking...

"I..."  Her thoughts were so scrambled, maybe it was a good thing that she had found this out now, on their honeymoon, while she had a chance to adjust to not having particularly worry about money...

@Flip

He looked at her reaction somewhat taken aback. Perhaps his not being concerned about what his financial situation was not the way normal people reacted to money. Yet to him, money was a tool like most everything else in his life, other than Em, of course.

"Oh," He  said quietly, "I do, and probably many times that. I, I'm sorry if it upset you, I mean finding out about it. I just didn't think it mattered all that much one way or the other. Comes in handy though." He said, unsure of what he should say about it. "You an' me, an' the kids, I 'spose you want a brood of 'em, we'll be jest fine. We got money, money don't got us. It's a tool that gets things done, allows us ta have what we need without worry. So I don't want you to worry. I'm still me, an' yer still you. Nothin's changed about us, not now, not ever."

@Bongo

"Oh, of course we won't change, it's just...I never thought about not having to worry about money."  She wasn't sure exactly how to say what she was feeling, but then, she wasn't sure how she was feeling.  "It's good, but just different, it will take some getting used to."  She chuckled.  "I never did think that'd be a 'lady of means', not that I thought I'd be destitute.  It's just...different...good different."

Then a small smile crossed her features.  "A brood, yes.  As many children as we can manage!  And they'll all be happy and healthy, and not spoiled."  And they could help others...well, that would be up to Barnabas, but she knew his caring character.  While their children might not want, they were going to learn to be self-sufficient and work for what they got.

Impulsively, she leaned in close to him and very softly whispered, "I think I might be pregnant."

@Flip

"Well, I didn't fig, you, you're pregnet? I mean great! You're pregnant! Ah, should we, I mean shouldn't you be restin' 'er somethin'?  Lord above, I got you out here miles from home, and you're gonna have a baby." He didn't quite know how he should respond, and add to that, he was afraid he'd done something that might harm her or the unborn child by bringing her this far away from Montana, well Kalispell anyway.

"I dunno, what was I thinkin'?" He asked, as if there was an answer coming from somewhere other than Em. "This here's a real mess, whot I got us inta." He had seen it with

@Bongo

"What do you mean, what were you thinking?"  Grinning, Emeline gave him a light slug to the arm.  "You didn't know, so there was nothing to think, and as for having a baby, I figure we have at least six to seven months to worry about that." 

Gripping his hand, she gave it a squeeze.  "I'll take it easy the last couple of months, I can do that now, but right now, the trip is fine, well, except that I might get a little moody now and then, and eventually I won't be able to smell coffee without getting ill, judging by my previous pregnancies."

"Believe me, I'll be overly cautious, this child -- our child -- is so important.  But that doesn't mean we can't have a good time."  She looked up at him.  "You are happy about being a father?" 

While she wasn't going to let herself get overly optimistic, she still wanted to hold onto the belief that this time, it would be all rignt.

@Flip

"What do you mean, what were you thinking?"  Grinning, Emeline gave him a light slug to the arm.  "You didn't know, so there was nothing to think, and as for having a baby, I figure we have at least six to seven months to worry about that." 

"Well, I dunno, I just, ah, gee, I ain't ever been in this here situation a'fore, not never." he stammered. Six 'er seven months? Now that sounds a mite better." he was nodding his head as he spoke, "Might have'ta cut this here honeymoon some short in thet case."

Gripping his hand, she gave it a squeeze.  "I'll take it easy the last couple of months, I can do that now, but right now, the trip is fine, well, except that I might get a little moody now and then, and eventually I won't be able to smell coffee without getting ill, judging by my previous pregnancies."

"See now, that's jest plumb wrong, getting sick over the smell 'o coffee. Never heard 'o such a thing, tho I'll not hold it agin ya. Promise. Given word." Now he was joshing her even though he had never heard of such a thing.  Being the last born child he had no experience with his mother being pregnant, which would have prepared him for her earlier statement about being sick at the smell of coffee.

"Believe me, I'll be overly cautious, this child -- our child -- is so important.  But that doesn't mean we can't have a good time."  She looked up at him.  "You are happy about being a father?" 

She had just skimmed over his joshing as if he'd never said at as she vowed to be cautious, overly she said, "Happy? Me? Happier than an old coon dog layin' by the fire. Yes ma'am,  I'm jest about as happy as the day you said yes!"

@Bongo

"You look like an old coon dog laying by the fire!"  Emeline laughed, then went on to explain what to expect during her pregnancy...the mood swings, crying for no reason, swelling, morning sickness...

"And then," she finished up with a wide grin, "you'll sit on the porch for hours, listening to me scream in agony, and suddenly, there will be a baby!"

If that didn't scare him off, nothing would!  But, why not add a little fuel to the fire?

"And that will just be the first."

@Flip

He looked at her, child birth was not a thing that he was familiar with, other than it happened, and that was how babies entered the world. He  sometimes wondered if that was such a good thing, however, this was his child, their child, and suddenly that made a difference. A big difference!

"So I gotta ask, if a woman goes through alla thet, how come ever'one congratulates the Pa? Seems ta me the man ain't got a whole lot ta do with bringin' a child inat this world, 'cept the pleasurable part." He inquired, because after listening to what she was saying about what she had to look forward to, it just seemed wrong to be patting the man on the back over the whole thing. "Sittin' on the porch. Ya gotta be jerkin' ma lead rope!" He shook his head,  "Jest the first? Seems it'd git easier as ya went along. An' they say wimmen's the weaker sex."

@Bongo

"It does get easier, but it's still painful."  She grinned and kissed his cheek.  "That is why God gave the task to women...well, that, and Eve, you know, the serpent and the apple and all." 

Indeed, the inconvenience of being pregnant, and then the pain of childbirth, were indeed a curse, but it was worth it when you held that child.

"And don't think you'll be getting off easy," she chided, "I expect you to be there, and judging from what Andrew said, it's not easy."  Not only the pain of the birthing, but the worry...would the baby be all right?  Would she be all right?  So much could go wrong, including the worst.

"But you don't have anything to worry about, I'll teach you how to change diapers!"

@Flip

"See now, thets what I been sayin', i got me a woman whot kin teach me a thing 'er two. Not sure this diaper changin' fits ridin' ropin' 'er shootin' bad men, tho I reckon it's there fer me to learn. Ain't never been a father afore, oughtta be real interestin' til I get the hang of it."

He didn't mind her saying that God gave the child bearing task to women, or that most men for find it an insult, a demeaning statement questioning a man's strength. That didn't bother him at i=all. In fact, if that's what the Good Lord chose, then that was just fine by him. Others, well, that was up to them.

"Guess I sortta over reacted to whot ya told me about bein' with child. 'spose that's true of most first time fathers ta be." He admitted. "Be in Portland tomarra, and there we'll have some comforts, new clothes, an' some fine dinin' fer shore. Maybe celebrate a little while we're at it." Inside he was excited by the news, ready for this new adventure in life.

@Bongo

"I suppose it's only right that I should be pampered!"  Laughing, she patted his hand.  "It's not so hard, you learn as you go, and Mama taught me some along the way.  But children sort of...take you along with them." 

Her tone had gone quiet as she reflected on bittersweet memories, but she quickly shook that off.  There was no sense living in the past, and while she would remain cautious, she was determined to be optimistic and positive.

"Comforts, is it?  Like breakfast in bed?  And there's plenty to celebrate, we'll have to get that out of the way now, once the baby comes, there will be no more sleeping, and non-stop worrying!"

@Flip

You should be pampered 'cuz yer you! An' I intend ta do a whole buncha thet. Childern or not. We got us a ways to go in this here life, an' since I can, I intend ta make it as pleasurable fer alla us as possible. Not spoilin', jest bein' sure we got whot we need when we need it." He pledged.

His life to this point had been that of a drifter, dumb luck and a fair poker hand changed what he could do and how he could do it if he chose to. Until Em, he was prone to drift, the money coming in meant nothing and he paid little attention to it. All that changed with Emeline in his life.

She had been the surprise he had not seen coming. She had given new meaning to his life, and now, she was about to present him with a child, their child, something he had not though of having for a long time. Everything had changed, sometime it had been slowly, other times it had been quickly, but change it had, and he was glad of it.

@Bongo

Time on the trail and been a wonderful chance for Emeline and Barnabas to really get to know each other without the distractions of civilization.  They'd had to rely on each other and work as a team, they had had the chance to chat (she did most of that!) and learn to be content together in silence.

Now, as the city of Portland came into view, Emeline knew this was going to be a different aspect of a relationship to explore.  Sure, Kalispell was a town, but not nearly this big, with this many amenities and possibilities, and this wasn't their home, so it would be yet another setting to get to know more about each other.  She figured by the time they were through with the trip and back home, they'd have a good, thorough understanding of each other, and a strong foundation for the future together.

"It's beautiful," she declared, looking over what they could see.  She knew that the Pacific Ocean was beyond, in the west, but they weren't high enough to see it.  Still, she thought she could smell a change in the air -- sea air, she'd heard it called -- but maybe she was imagining that because she was so looking forward to it.

But, there were plenty of ships anchored along the sound, conjuring romantic images of Richard Dana works!  And to their left, a huge mountain rose from the relatively low landscape. 

"What's that?"  It was majestic.

@Flip

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

large.Portland1.jpg.c780dd2959938f743620323be572e674.jpg

It was sprawled out below them, the river and the docks busy, even from their elevation. She was big. Bigger than any city in Montana. They would noon in the city proper. He looked at her with that same smile he always had around her, "Hood, Mount Hood. Then there's Mount Jefferson, and , Mount Adams. Call the range the Cascades. Now further north I'm told is mighty big peaks as well."

They sat, taking it all in, the vista below, "Come a long ways, we have, an' got us a ways ta go yet. But we'll stay a couple days, maybe a week, dependin' on the steam ships schedule, and it looks like there's a goodly number of 'em ta pick from." He took her hand, "So whadda ya think?"

@Bongo

"I think it looks like a good place to get used to people, after having spent so much time on the trail!"  It was going to be disorienting enough to go from being alone to being among all the noise, chaos and fuss that came with being in a town, but at least Portland wasn't as big as San Francisco.

"I'm looking forward to having a city to explore, but I think I might miss the trail, too.  Both have their good and bad, I suppose."  Again, why Kailspell was ideal.  Enough city to have comforts, but close to open lands, when you needed to get away and find a bit of peace.

@Flip

"Yep, that's the way I see it. On the other hand, givin' you the opportunity ta have a city to explore is one we might not get to have again for a while. Oh sure, we kin go to Boseman, 'er Helena, 'course they're a might smaller, but you'll of had the chance to see a couple real cities. And you've already made out the differences between 'em." There was a note of pride in that statement.

"We'll drop on down an' start the hunt ta sell off the surrey an' horses. Ta find us a hotel pro'ly closed to where the steamship office is. Then, we'll get us a bath and some clothes that'll have us fit in better. Give ya' real look at the hustle and bustle  o' big city life."

@Bongo

"Are you saying I'm dirty?"  Laughing, she smacked him on the arm.  "I took a bath just two days ago in that creek!"  Laughing again, she added, "A hot bath in rose water, new clothes, it sounds like heaven!"

Then a quiet dinner with champagne, and a soft, real bed for the night, with Barnabas at her side...it sounded like pure bliss! 

"I don't know, Barnabas, you get me into a soft bed and I just might never get out again!"

"Hey now, I never said you was dirty 'er nothin', but you kin count on thet. Which might well be as close as I get to them pearlie gates. Find us a buyer fer this outfit, kettles an' all, then the hotel, don't know if we bathe first and wear out back up duds 'er not. I suspect bathe first. " He helped up on the seat, not that she needed it, but always made it a point to do that for her.

"Well then let's jest git on down there and git are-selves started on this thing." He suggested, excitement in his voice. He looked at her from under the brim of his hat, "Get you in a feather bed, might not ever want us out of it, but think of all the nights in all the places we got plans for we'd be missin'? Wouldn't wanna cheat yer self outta thet, now would ya?" The he shouted "Git!" to the team and they started out to reach Portland Oregon.

@Bongo

"No, I suppose you're right, if we linger in one bed too long, we'll miss many a fine place...and that boat ride, we'd miss that."  Emeline grinned then laughed.  "And yes, we'd best bathe first, or we won't be allowed to touch any garments, much the less try them on."

Then she shook her head.  "I've had a couple of store-bought dresses before, but from the mercantile, not a fancy shop, I'm not really sure what to expect, it will be an experience." 

Which sparked a thought that had really always been there since the start.  "I want to experience as much as we can, anything new and different.  We might not get a chance again, at least until the children are grown."  Oh, she had no doubt there were new experiences to be had at home, but there were all sorts of things out here that they may never come across again.

@Flip