• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Brendan simply sat in the bed and listened to Caroline. That was the least he could do. But at least she was saying good things about him. He would have felt proud in any other circumstances, but right now he just felt guilty, as though he had somehow had a hand in Caroline's horrible fate.   His eyes widened in surprise as she kissed him. The kiss was not deep, but it was still affectionate, although not the kind of affection he had imagined when he had imagined being kissed by Caroline. But, in a way, this was better.   He lifted a hand and put it at the back of her neck. Doing that felt all right - to him, anyway. It was the natural thing to do when someone kissed you. He knew that if his hand slid down, it would be resting between her bare shoulder blades. Instead of sliding his hand down, he let his fingers slide off the back of her neck and down onto the sheets as she pulled away.   "I've never been so glad to get a consolation prize," he said in a light-hearted tone. Because that's what the kiss had been.
    • "Oh, Miz Addy doesn't scare easy," Weedy pointed out, "she even killed a bear that killed one of her horses!"  He was real proud of her for that, even though she didn't make much of it.  "Gave the carcass to the Piutes, but she kept a couple of the claws."   He led the way into the kitchen, where there was a table that (barely) seated four, although there were only three chairs, a small stove, pantry and a sink complete with indoor pump.  "Here's some water."  Carefully, Weedy used the pump to fill a tin mug that he handed to Isiah.   "We can put the horses behind the house, and you can just stay in here when she gets home."  He looked up at the man with a grin.  "Are you the brother who pushed her in the lake or left her in the tree to find her own way down?"   @MD
    • Lucinda smiled as Clara emerged from the kitchen. The girl was so young, and so solemn, even though the expression on her face was pleasant. She had been slightly nervous about asking the new Mrs. Lutz for work - never having asked anyone for work before - but how could she be scared of a woman as young as Clara was?   "Well, actually, I was hoping that I might be able to help you." She held her hat with both hands so that it touched her knees. "My name is Lucinda Dietrich. I don't know how much Emeline told you, but I'm new in town. I helped Emeline wash dishes one night and she told me that if I couldn't find work, to come back here."   She paused, unsure of what to say next. Up until now she'd just been filling Clara in, but now she actually had to ask for work. How did one do that?   "Could...could you use an extra hand in the kitchen? Or out here?"
    • "Hello? Who is there, please?" asked Frances, raising her voice that the stranger outside might hear.    "Marshal Speed Guyer, Miss Grimes," He announced.   When she realized that it was the Marshall, she let him in immediately. "Is this about my brother?" she asked, in a voice that betrayed the fact that she would be surprised if it was about anything else.   "I'm afraid so ma'am," He was not not surprised, "Perhaps you'd like to sit down." He gave her a moment before continuing, "I'm afraid that your brother Frank got into an argument with some men at the Stardust Saloon earlier.  Unfortunately for him, he drew his pistol, and was killed." That did not come out the way he had intended. It sounded hollow and cold.   "I have what money he had on him, and some from the sale of his gun totaling thirty-five dollars." He added. "Also, there is the question of his horse and saddle. If you like, Miss Grimes, it can be sold and the money would come to you." He had hoped to make the delivery of Franks death much more smooth, but he felt a failure in that department. @Javia
    • Arabella listened with rapt attention to Mr. McVay's story about how he and his late wife had met and married. Oh, it was no heart-pounding tale of wild romance, as might be found within the yellow tinged pages of a dime novel; but neither was it the cold and stodgy retelling of some arranged twinning based upon financial dowries and settlements, as was so often the case. No, it was a nice, cosy, warm story: and Arabella smiled happily through the bulk of it.   But then came the dreaded and awful denouement.    "The winter of '74 Beth took a serious fall while I was at work. By the time I got home her leg was swollen, the house was like ice, and I was in a panic."   Arabella, who had been imagining Mr. and Mrs. McVay's idyllic life together so vividly, gasped, and her face fell.   He paused again. "I got her to the doctor who had her admitted to the hospital where they tended to her leg, but within days pneumonia set in. Not having the necessary strength to fight it, she succumbed."   "Oh, McVay..." sighed Arabella, leaning forward, eyes wide, her lower lip beginning to tremble.   He fained a smile, but his now red rimmed eyes were forming tears. "And, here I am."   The girl from Virginia, who was given to wearing her heart on her sleeve and crying at the drop of a hat at the best of times, now burst fully into great sobbing tears and running over threw her arms around the hard bitten reporter and wrapped him in a chaste and heartfelt hug.   "Oh poor Beth! And poor Mr. McVay!" she wept, before disentangling herself and wiping her nose on her sleeve. "and now you're here and... you're all... all alone in the world. Sniff."    @Flip
Barnabas Pike

The Pike Family Excursion

"Now time could be a problem, how long are we talkin'?" He asked. Not bothering to mention the steam ship schedule, which he knew nothing about. "We could try a couple ready-made suits, an' see how the fit is." The plan for the moment was to have something to wear where he would fit in aboard the streamer then of course, have others made in San Francisco, b\y what were considered the best tailors  of the period.

Suddenly it dawned on him, the folly of his current thinking. Why have clothes made here and then again in San Francisco? What kind of sense did that make? None! "So, let's see here. I'll need at least two, maybe three suits, with vests, shirts, maybe half a dozen, plus a new pair a boots and underthings. Like a top hat as well."

@Bongo

"Oh, Mrs Pike, when I get married, my poor husband will have enough to do looking after me: I don't think I could bear to make him wash the dishes, too."

"He was my employee," Emeline chuckled, "when he wasn't working at his job as a deputy.  And I've no doubt there is a fine man who will take care of you, although you seem to be pretty self-sufficient, and once you are settled in your own home, you'll do well."  After all, once she learned her way around an area that didn't change, it should be fairly easy to find her function.

"Mr Pike must be a wonderful gentleman, and very lucky one, too, in his choice of bride. You see, I have learned to judge people very quickly by their voice and the feel of their hands; I know it sounds mad! But I have never found myself to be wrong: and there is such a warm sunny tone to your voice, Mrs Pike, and such a gentleness to your grip: I hope we can become fast friends when you return to Kalispell."

Returning the girl's squeeze, Emeline smiled.  "I'm the one who is lucky, I think.  I had no plan to marry again, but then he came into my life...sometimes these things just happen without you knowing it until you do."[/i]  The best kind of love, she supposed, when you were friends and it took time to realize you were more.

"And I'm certain we'll be great friends, I look forward to it."  By the time they were back in Kalispell, Miss Frances and her brother should be well-settled.  "Tell me about Virginia City, is it a nice place?"

@Javia

"Top hat, too?"  Charles raised an eyebrow.  "Silk plush or beaver pelt, although the beaver is getting to be quite expensive."  He glanced at his notes, then added, "Let me see what we have, shirts shouldn't be a problem, alterations on ready-made would likely take two to three days, custom made, upwards of a week."

At least the man didn't have any unusual measurements, so fitting him shouldn't be a problem.

@Flip

"He was my employee," Emeline chuckled, "when he wasn't working at his job as a deputy.  And I've no doubt there is a fine man who will take care of you, although you seem to be pretty self-sufficient, and once you are settled in your own home, you'll do well."  After all, once she learned her way around an area that didn't change, it should be fairly easy to find her function.

Frances was surprised to hear that the lady's husband was a Sheriff or Marshall's Deputy, an important and responsible, if not always respected, office, but also a menial dish-washer under his wife's thrall. Mrs Pike must really wear the pants in that relationship, she supposed. Frances, to be fair, had rather conservative and conventional views on marriage: an institution that she had taught about, more than actually experienced in practice, due to her upbringing in a special school for the blind.

She expressed her hope that the two of them might be friends in the future.

Returning the girl's squeeze, Emeline smiled.  "I'm the one who is lucky, I think.  I had no plan to marry again, but then he came into my life...sometimes these things just happen without you knowing it until you do."[/i]  The best kind of love, she supposed, when you were friends and it took time to realize you were more.

"Then I must be an incurable romantic, for I hope to be quite swept off my feet by a 'tall dark handsome stranger'" she admitted, a little giddily. Gosh, why was she saying all this to a someone she had only just met? Probably because the kind-sounding lady in the dress shop was the first interested ear she had met with in quite some time.

"And I'm certain we'll be great friends, I look forward to it."  By the time they were back in Kalispell, Miss Frances and her brother should be well-settled.  "Tell me about Virginia City, is it a nice place?"

"Oh. Mrs Pike, it is a terrible, sinful place: as are all such mining cities that are founded by those who seek riches above all else, including decent moral Christian conduct. When the whole town burnt down last year, we moved our belongings to the church, hoping that it would be protected above all other buildings: but the evil men in charge of the fire-fighting turned all their attention to saving their precious lucre-belching mine shafts!" Her demeanour suddenly turned from righteous anger to a sort of despairing sag. 

"All our possessions were destroyed: my clothes, the musical instruments I depended upon to earn our keep, and my precious, irreplaceable embossed books: the only ones I can read. Oh, oh Mrs Pike, my entire life was destroyed that day!" she sighed and the poor little blind girl, her shoulders heaving, dissolved in unstoppable, salty, sightless tears.

@Bongo

"Now lemme ask ya this, which is the current fashion trend? When I was on the Comstock years back, 'course there was no real trend, men just sortta got themselves gussied up an' wore all manner of hat." Which, at the time of sudden wealth made perfect sense. "You could spot the new money easy enough."

Prospectors suddenly hitting it big bought whatever struck their fancy. Sometimes the more garish the better. However, the big men, the 'Silver Kings,' John William Mackay, James Graham Fair, James Clair Flood, and William S. O'Brien, those giants dressed elegantly, much the like men in New York or Chicago. He knew their names, everyone did. He had met most of them at least once officially, or in certain settings after acquiring his one third interest in the Yellow Jacket mine, which had put him in their company.

"Maybe one 'o them collapsible jobs. Em'll get a kick outta that. But, yer the tailor an' I'm a bit out of fashion of late, so I'll rely on you." Pike had dressed well for a brief period before he left the Comstock. Better gone than dead he figured.  "Just need to look proper." He smiled, "Now this Wigfall that owns the place, he got relations up Montana way?"

@Bongo@Javia?

"Ah, yes, collapsible, we can do that.  And silk plush...beaver is waning in popularity, harder to find and process," Charles explained.  The the subject of 'Wigfall' came up and the man sputtered a bit.  "Oh, um...there is a very distant relation, I believe, but I'm not aware of any correspondence."  That he would speak of, anyway!

"So, um, just give me a moment, and enjoy the drink."  Quickly, the man scurried away, returning several minutes later with a selection of slacks, coats and vests in a variety of green, gold and burgundy brocade. 

"All right then, try these on and let me know what you fancy, then I can see what we need to do to make them fit properly.  As for the sundries, those shouldn't be a problem."

He held out a flattened hat.  "And there's this, just be easy with it."

@Flip

"Easy? How so? I mean I seen 'em popped out with one hand." Barnabas stated. "Ifin' she fragile, well, ain't no sense wastin' money on it. Likely won't survive the trip." It was all show basically for Em because he could have ridden onto the Comstock dressed as he liked. Appearances were important to him for her sake, he was not trying to be something he was not, because that just was not how he lived.

"See, this here trip, are honeymoon, well, I'll have some business to tend to in Virginia City, and up on Sun Mountain, well, I'm a partner in a pretty big affair. The idea is fer the wife to be treated like royalty, here, Frisco an' there afore we git back to ranchin' in Montana. So, that bein' said, I want ever'thing to be perfect fer her."

And so began trying on clothes,

@Bongo

"All our possessions were destroyed: my clothes, the musical instruments I depended upon to earn our keep, and my precious, irreplaceable embossed books: the only ones I can read. Oh, oh Mrs Pike, my entire life was destroyed that day!" she sighed and the poor little blind girl, her shoulders heaving, dissolved in unstoppable, salty, sightless tears.

"Oh, goodness, I'm so sorry."  Emeline shook her head as she patted the girl's hand.  "You would think that a house of God would be a safe refuge."  But then, what good was a church when the community's livelihood was destroyed?  "I suppose Kalispell has a wild side, too," she admitted, "most smaller towns out here do, you just have to be aware."  If the poor girl wanted safety, she'd best stay in Portland, of maybe go to Seattle.

"I'm sure you'll do just fine, especially with your brother's help," Emeline tried to reassure her, "and there's a fine church that has an organ that I'm certain they would let you play on Sundays."  And pianos in the saloons, but she didn't mention that, as those places weren't appropriate for a lady.

At that point, Miss Eleanor returned with the packages.  "Here you are, dear.  Are you going to need help with these?"

@Javia

• Love 1

"Honeymoon?  Congratulations, sir!"  Charles smiled widely.  "And so good of you to want to show the lady a wonderful time.  Here, try the hat," he handed the hat to Pike, "I just mean that you can't be overly rough with it, but see for yourself...just hold it by one edge of the brim and pop the other against your palm.  I can show you how to fold it."

Handling the hat would give him a better feel for it, by design it was a bit more flimsy than a standard hat, the sides were softer and supported by the mechanism that opened it, but then, one didn't usually toss around top hats anyway, and this was much easier to store.

Then came the clothing, fine shirts that fit well enough, trousers in styles that were slightly different, vests, coats with tails of varying lengths and lapel patters.

"So, which do you fancy?  I must say, they all look fine on you and alterations would be basic."

@Flip

She heard the kind stranger offered her condolences and Frances pulled herself together. She didn't usually cry like that, maybe it was Emeline's very kindness that had sparked her off.

"I'm sure you'll do just fine, especially with your brother's help," Emeline tried to reassure her, "and there's a fine church that has an organ that I'm certain they would let you play on Sundays."  And pianos in the saloons, but she didn't mention that, as those places weren't appropriate for a lady.

"Oh, an organ!" beamed Frances, delighted "Most churches out West just seem to have an out of tune piano or a broken down old harmonium: an organ would be splendid." To be honest, her interest was as much pecuniary as religious or musical; when she and her brother had reached San Francisco after being burnt out of Virginia City, the kind proprietor of a Beer Garden on Jackson Street had allowed her to play a benefit concert on his quite newly installed Schoenstein pipe organ. The proceeds from that had kept the wolf from the door while she found more permanent work that she could do.

Frances had found it a little disturbing that the best organ in the city was in a beer garden rather than a church, but pecuniary matters had taken precedence over morals; beggars can't be choosers; and she she had received the money gladly.

At that point, Miss Eleanor returned with the packages.  "Here you are, dear.  Are you going to need help with these?"

"Oh, please let me feel them." Frances said, standing up and holding out her free hand to where the proprietress's voice seemed to emanate from. "I can manage those, she nodded." Actually, they were a bit of a handful with her stick as well, but she didn't want to be offered help carrying them where she would then be obliged to give a tip.

She immediately dropped one of the light, but awkward shaped packages on the floor and bent to feel down to the ground for it. Luckily, she didn't have tight corsets on.

@Bongo

"Oh..."  Emeline gasped as the girl dropped her package, and started to bend down to get it, but then hesitated, wondering if perhaps she even wanted help, or might feel insulted at the offer, that it would imply that she couldn't do for herself.

"It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.

@Javia

• Like 1

"It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.

Miss Grimes flicked her stick to the right and struck the package, bending down to retrieve it. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Pike, I have it." she smiled picking up the package and feeling it over for tears. "I hope none of it is peeping out, it is some undergarments and an old dress that needed repairs. I can sew but it's a laborious process for me, and we will be on our way to Kalispell tomorrow."

She managed to bundle up everything in one arm, packages, stick, and stuck out the other to somewhere near Emeline again.

"Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Connolly at the Diner."

@Bongo 

Edited by Flip (see edit history)

Then came the clothing, fine shirts that fit well enough, trousers in styles that were slightly different, vests, coats with tails of varying lengths and lapel patters.

It was a simple matter of trying on the shirts, seeing what fit, and also, what he liked as he looked at his reflection in the long mirror. Trousers, coats of varying styles and lengths, as well as colors and fabrics. This was something he was familiar with. And he began if not to enjoy the process, at least to appreciate it.

"So, which do you fancy?  I must say, they all look fine on you and alterations would be basic."

"Yes I agree, it has been some time since I had done this sort of thing, however, the grey herring with the black lapels, for sure. The dovetailed black wool will be perfect for more formal occasions, and the simple black wool coat. Match those up with trousers as you like, grey and black, one can't go too far wrong, oh, half dozen of the white shirts and perhaps one of the blue, the yellow, and perhaps the wine pastels." Barnabas dictated. Of course the top hat as well would be in his order. "Boots?"

Charles Withers.jpg

@Bongo

"Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Lutz at the Diner."

"Don't you worry one bit, Kalispell does have its share of well-dressed ladies, but for the most part the clothing is practical and well-used, you'll fit in just fine."  Heck, she was the one who was going to stand out if she was wearing whatever she was going to be buying here and in San Francisco around the streets of Kalispell! 

"And really, you'll love Kalispell, there's Miss Arabella, who also plays the piano, and a wonderful school teacher, and...well, there's even a lady who drives the stage coach!  I'll look you up as soon as we get back."

She patted the girl's hand, then pressed a gold half-eagle into her palm.  "Here, this is a welcome gift.  And watch out for the skunks on the trail, they can be quite inquisitive!"

@Javia

"Yes, of course, boots...more stylish and less practical than what you have on!"  Charles chuckled, measuring the existing footwear, hardy, well-worn boots that were made for work.  And a new pair would still have to be comfortable and sturdy, Pike wasn't a dandy, and wouldn't tolerate frumpy!

"Just a moment."  It took more than a few moments, but he returned with several pairs of shiny new boots in different colors of leather.  "There you go, what's your pleasure?"

@Flip

"Don't you worry one bit, Kalispell does have its share of well-dressed ladies, but for the most part the clothing is practical and well-used, you'll fit in just fine."  Heck, she was the one who was going to stand out if she was wearing whatever she was going to be buying here and in San Francisco around the streets of Kalispell! 

Well, the lady had just basically damned her outfit, but Frances realised that she meant well. Despite her lack of vision, she could tell the difference between a fashionable and well tailored dress and a worn, scruffy looking old thing like was wearing now; if only by report and touch. Oh well. Maybe when she had established herself in the new place she would save up enough to afford a nice new dress with a plain front and a lavish 'polonaise princess' train of ruffled material at the back: the whole trimmed with écru lace, fringe, braids, or flowers, as was now the fashion back East. Maybe this lady would be friend enough to advise her on a colour that would suit her complexion and hair. 

"And really, you'll love Kalispell, there's Miss Arabella, who also plays the piano, and a wonderful school teacher, and...well, there's even a lady who drives the stage coach!  I'll look you up as soon as we get back."

'Arabella'? She sounded like sophisticated young woman. A possible rival in the piano playing field, perhaps, but often it was other musicians who helped you find paying jobs, especially if they had more work than they  could handle themselves. She didn't think that she would be vying for the stage driver-ette's job anytime soon though.

"It sounds wonderful!" she smiled. How wonderful to have made a friend in her new abode before she even got there, she thought. But then, it happened.

She patted the girl's hand, then pressed a gold half-eagle into her palm.  "Here, this is a welcome gift.  And watch out for the skunks on the trail, they can be quite inquisitive!"

A look of horror crossed the blind girl's face. "Oh, I am sorry. Thank you, but I cannot take this." she said quickly as she pushed the large coin back at Emeline, not caring whether it found the other woman's hand or clattered to the floor, and quickly turned and fled as best she could before the stranger tried again to give her charity. She would never beg. She would die before she would beg. 

Oh God, the woman from Kalispell probably thought that that is what she had been angling for all along: the idea gripped at her heart like an icy hand! She had cried! That was it. She had told a 'sob story' to get money out of someone - that is how it must look. She felt for the door out of the shop, luckily she had paid for the mending in advance, or she would have looked like a thief as well as a dirty, grasping beggar.

@Bongo

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

"Reckon I Like them Plain black stove pipes. Guess I oughtta have a pair of brogans, boots ain't always what's accepted in some settin's." Barnabas replied, looking at the selections, the stovepipes would work well beyond this trip, where the others, well, they weren't going to hold up back on the ranch, or working the streets with Speed.

"So now about them duds, how long you figger it'll take to have 'em ready?" He asked, adding; "I'd like the who;e sheebang delivered to the Astor Inn where we'll be hold up fer a spell, waitin' on her new clothes as well as mine." While they waited they could have a better look at real civilization, try some restaurants, maybe do some shopping as well. He needed to get off a wire to Speed, and he was sure that Em would want to send one to Clara too.

@Bongo

"The Astor?  A very fine establishment."  Charles smiled and nodded approval, then added, "I'd say four days at the most.  I'll be sure they are delivered, certainly.  I can have the sundries sent today, if you'd like.  Shirts, boots, whatnot..."  Things that didn't need adjusting.  "Oh, and will you need a nightshirt, too?  I can get that sent as well."

He paused a moment, then suggested, "There's a fine shop just across the street, Cicarelli's, where you can get jewelry accessories if you need them...cufflinks, hat and tie pins, anything like that."

@Flip

"Oh, goodness, I didn't mean..."  Emeline frowned as she caught the coin as the girl ran out.  Looking at Eleanore, she shrugged and sighed.  "I was just trying to be a friend, and to help."

"You can only try, dear."  The older woman patted her arm.  "She's just very prideful."

"I understand," Emeline murmured, "I'm just sorry she took the gesture wrong."

Well, nothing more to be done for that, time to get down to business, that would take longer than Barnabas' would...

@Flip; @Javia

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Frances stood panting outside the store for a second before moving on. It had been a panic attack: the poor woman had meant well, but the horror of the idea of being a beggar had made her act rashly. She couldn't go back in, she just couldn't: but if she were fortunate enough to meet MrsPike in Kalispell, she would certainly apologise profusely: and try to explain.

Her head sank. She had been silly. But then it rose again; as it had to: she had to carry on, she had to keep walking forward. And the name, the name would be useful. It was not charity to approach a valuable contact and enquire if good honest work was available. For a blind person, a good contact name was more valuable than gold: she would certainly seek out Mrs Connolly when she got to Kalispell!

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

"The Astor?  A very fine establishment."  Charles smiled and nodded approval, then added, "I'd say four days at the most.  I'll be sure they are delivered, certainly.  I can have the sundries sent today, if you'd like.  Shirts, boots, whatnot..."  Things that didn't need adjusting.  "Oh, and will you need a nightshirt, too?  I can get that sent as well."

"Yeah, sure that'll be just fine. And four days is fine by me, no tellin' how long the Wife's dresses'll take, but we're in no rush." Barnabas agreed, and time was not pressing. "Nightshirts?"He thought a second, his were not the best, "Best toss in a couple. Things ya just don't think about."

He paused a moment, then suggested, "There's a fine shop just across the street, Cicarelli's, where you can get jewelry accessories if you need them...cufflinks, hat and tie pins, anything like that."

There would be no replacing his watch or chain, they had been with him since the war. They had come from his Pa. Both were solid silver, and would be just fine, though he was careful with them. The fact was, he generally wore a watch and chain he picked up during his Rangering days, which was not a fine as those from his father, but suitable for most everyday wear.

Now, since he had selected  some ties, perhaps he would investigate the store for a couple stick pins, and yes, he would need cuff-links for his shirts. Hat pins, not something he would need or use, but Em, now she may need one or two, maybe more depending, after all, she was a woman and she likely would have more than one hat. And, they still would need to get through San Francisco and it's garment district.

"I'll stop over there for sure." Pike said with a smile. This was getting to be fun! "Now, we'll need ta settle up, won't we?" He drew out his wallet from the inside pocket of his coat.

@Bongo

"Certainly, of course."  Charles had a detailed list with costs that he handed to Pike.  "The policy is half now, and half on acceptable delivery."  He smiled.  "It's rare that there's a problem, and that usually has to do with the client expiring."  He chuckled.  "So, please, take care of yourself!"

@Flip

Barnabas scanned the list nodding as he went over it, finding the charges to be very reasonable. "Good, yes, a fair price I would say. And expirin' ain't hardly in my plans any time soon, 'specially not on this trip. Reckon the wife wouldn't be none to happy with an expired husband to lug back to Montana."

He gave some thought to the delivery options as far as the things that need no alteration. "Tell ya whot Charles, jest deliver alla it when it's ready. No sense doin' this piecemeal. And I believe I might have a look overt this Cicarelli's an' see whot they got that catchs the eye." He grinned and stuck out his hand. "Pleasure doin' bidness with ya, Charles. A real pleasure."

Charles Withers.jpg

@Bongo

"Indeed."  Smiling, Charles shook his hand, then nodded.  "Thank you, it is easier to deliver all at once.  I'll get right on this, hopefully it won't take as long as four days.  Do enjoy your time in Portland."

@Flip

"Thanks Charles, we intend to do just that! And I'll be headed over to 'Cicarelli's' afore goin' back to 'Lulu's', that might be a wait, ain't sure. You have a good day, sir." With that Barnabas stepped out through the door, got his bearings in the bright sunlight, and made his way across the street to 'Cicarelli's.

Taking his time, he browsed the shop, picking out four stick pins that he liked, making sure to mention that Charles across the street at 'Wigfall's' had recommended the place to him. With that accomplished he walked back across the street to 'Lulu's', opened the door and stepped inside, the small bell over the door announcing his arrival.

@Bongo