• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   Miss Grimes flicked her stick to the right and struck the package, bending down to retrieve it. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Pike, I have it." she smiled picking up the package and feeling it over for tears. "I hope none of it is peeping out, it is some undergarments and an old dress that needed repairs. I can sew but it's a laborious process for me, and we will be on our way to Kalispell tomorrow."   She managed to bundle up everything in one arm, packages, stick, and stuck out the other to somewhere near Emeline again.   "Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Connolly at the Diner."   @Bongo 
    • "Oh..."  Emeline gasped as the girl dropped her package, and started to bend down to get it, but then hesitated, wondering if perhaps she even wanted help, or might feel insulted at the offer, that it would imply that she couldn't do for herself.   "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   @Javia        
    • He took Frances' hand and gently shook it, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Grimes."   "And you, Mr. Simons." she smiled sweetly.   "If you are interested in joining the ladies group my aunt Rebecca Wentworth will be running, I can get her to send you an invitation or she can personally come to see you."   "Oh, that sounds wonderful, I shall have to see if, er..." stammered the blind girl, and Crabbe could guess why.    "And it doesn't cost anything to join, does it, Ben?" Lorenzo put in.   "It sounds absolutely wonderful Mr. Simons" said Frances, now much more firmly "Please, just an invitation, I mean, just knowing when and when your Aunt would be holding the meetings would be all I need. I shall find it with no problem. What a kind thought, thank you, Mr. Simons."   At the sound of Ben munching, she decided that she had probably outstayed her welcome at his tableside and said "I shall leave you to your repast, Mr Simons, thank you again."   @JulieS    
    • "First off, proper grammar, it is 'like a blind person' not people," Clara pointed out , "And secondly we are here in this kitchen to cook proper meals for paying customers. That is a responsibility I take most seriously. Kindly be more....adult."   "Ain't it funny, Clara, I'm always makin' mistakes like that when I talk in my regular voice, but when I do 'personations of folk, I can speak right if I needs to. Listen to this:..." the gangly, scruffy teenager suddenly stood up ramrod straight at the frying pan and repositioned the spachelor in her hand like she was holding a dainty quill, then started to speak in a refined, maybe even pretentious voice, very unlike her own, with no trace of a southern accent:   "Arabella, would you please desist from precipitating those most distastful and less that utilitarian anecdotal confabulations. I find them most distressing!" All right, the words might not make sense, but anyone who knew Clara would have recognised the rhythm and tone of her voice.   @Wayfarer
    • "There ain't no 'we', Ara, this is between me n' the cowpoke here. You did not knock and I did not say you could come in," Caroline now pointed out as calmly as she could.   "I know..." replied Arabella sadly "An' I know I promised to do all them things but..." she shook her head a little "when I heard all them terrible horrible rotten things what happened to you, I was just so shocked and sad and angry that some low down bastard could do that to my sweet, pretty, lovely little Caroline, I just... well my soul kinda flew out to you, and my big ol' feet foller'd right along behind it."   She reached across and hugged her again and kissed her on top of her head again. Brendan then put in his two cents' worth.   From there, he looked down at Caroline. "Hey. What I was tryin' to say...goin' to say...is that...I understand."   "Good ta know, hon. Just wait a minute and we can continue this conversation once Ara leaves the room, shuts the door, and assures me she won't be listening in anymore. Got that?" Caroline eyed the teenager.   Arabella nodded compliantly enough, but then twisted in the bed so she was face to face with Brendan, whom she stared straight in the eye.   "But before I go, Brendan Connolly, you gotta tell me that you forgive me for all them silly things I said before and all them silly things I did cause even Caroline's forgiven me and she's the one I did and said them things to and we gettin' on all right now and I found out some stuff which made me change and I'm a better person now and it just ain't fair that you're still treatin' me so mean and, and..." she gulped down a sob and a lone tear appeared in the corner of her eye.   "... I really want you to be my friend again..." she wiped away the tear "... please."   @Bailey @Wayfarer
Barnabas Pike

The Pike Family Excursion

"Now time could be a problem, how long are we talkin'?" He asked. Not bothering to mention the steam ship schedule, which he knew nothing about. "We could try a couple ready-made suits, an' see how the fit is." The plan for the moment was to have something to wear where he would fit in aboard the streamer then of course, have others made in San Francisco, b\y what were considered the best tailors  of the period.

Suddenly it dawned on him, the folly of his current thinking. Why have clothes made here and then again in San Francisco? What kind of sense did that make? None! "So, let's see here. I'll need at least two, maybe three suits, with vests, shirts, maybe half a dozen, plus a new pair a boots and underthings. Like a top hat as well."

@Bongo

"Oh, Mrs Pike, when I get married, my poor husband will have enough to do looking after me: I don't think I could bear to make him wash the dishes, too."

"He was my employee," Emeline chuckled, "when he wasn't working at his job as a deputy.  And I've no doubt there is a fine man who will take care of you, although you seem to be pretty self-sufficient, and once you are settled in your own home, you'll do well."  After all, once she learned her way around an area that didn't change, it should be fairly easy to find her function.

"Mr Pike must be a wonderful gentleman, and very lucky one, too, in his choice of bride. You see, I have learned to judge people very quickly by their voice and the feel of their hands; I know it sounds mad! But I have never found myself to be wrong: and there is such a warm sunny tone to your voice, Mrs Pike, and such a gentleness to your grip: I hope we can become fast friends when you return to Kalispell."

Returning the girl's squeeze, Emeline smiled.  "I'm the one who is lucky, I think.  I had no plan to marry again, but then he came into my life...sometimes these things just happen without you knowing it until you do."[/i]  The best kind of love, she supposed, when you were friends and it took time to realize you were more.

"And I'm certain we'll be great friends, I look forward to it."  By the time they were back in Kalispell, Miss Frances and her brother should be well-settled.  "Tell me about Virginia City, is it a nice place?"

@Javia

"Top hat, too?"  Charles raised an eyebrow.  "Silk plush or beaver pelt, although the beaver is getting to be quite expensive."  He glanced at his notes, then added, "Let me see what we have, shirts shouldn't be a problem, alterations on ready-made would likely take two to three days, custom made, upwards of a week."

At least the man didn't have any unusual measurements, so fitting him shouldn't be a problem.

@Flip

"He was my employee," Emeline chuckled, "when he wasn't working at his job as a deputy.  And I've no doubt there is a fine man who will take care of you, although you seem to be pretty self-sufficient, and once you are settled in your own home, you'll do well."  After all, once she learned her way around an area that didn't change, it should be fairly easy to find her function.

Frances was surprised to hear that the lady's husband was a Sheriff or Marshall's Deputy, an important and responsible, if not always respected, office, but also a menial dish-washer under his wife's thrall. Mrs Pike must really wear the pants in that relationship, she supposed. Frances, to be fair, had rather conservative and conventional views on marriage: an institution that she had taught about, more than actually experienced in practice, due to her upbringing in a special school for the blind.

She expressed her hope that the two of them might be friends in the future.

Returning the girl's squeeze, Emeline smiled.  "I'm the one who is lucky, I think.  I had no plan to marry again, but then he came into my life...sometimes these things just happen without you knowing it until you do."[/i]  The best kind of love, she supposed, when you were friends and it took time to realize you were more.

"Then I must be an incurable romantic, for I hope to be quite swept off my feet by a 'tall dark handsome stranger'" she admitted, a little giddily. Gosh, why was she saying all this to a someone she had only just met? Probably because the kind-sounding lady in the dress shop was the first interested ear she had met with in quite some time.

"And I'm certain we'll be great friends, I look forward to it."  By the time they were back in Kalispell, Miss Frances and her brother should be well-settled.  "Tell me about Virginia City, is it a nice place?"

"Oh. Mrs Pike, it is a terrible, sinful place: as are all such mining cities that are founded by those who seek riches above all else, including decent moral Christian conduct. When the whole town burnt down last year, we moved our belongings to the church, hoping that it would be protected above all other buildings: but the evil men in charge of the fire-fighting turned all their attention to saving their precious lucre-belching mine shafts!" Her demeanour suddenly turned from righteous anger to a sort of despairing sag. 

"All our possessions were destroyed: my clothes, the musical instruments I depended upon to earn our keep, and my precious, irreplaceable embossed books: the only ones I can read. Oh, oh Mrs Pike, my entire life was destroyed that day!" she sighed and the poor little blind girl, her shoulders heaving, dissolved in unstoppable, salty, sightless tears.

@Bongo

"Now lemme ask ya this, which is the current fashion trend? When I was on the Comstock years back, 'course there was no real trend, men just sortta got themselves gussied up an' wore all manner of hat." Which, at the time of sudden wealth made perfect sense. "You could spot the new money easy enough."

Prospectors suddenly hitting it big bought whatever struck their fancy. Sometimes the more garish the better. However, the big men, the 'Silver Kings,' John William Mackay, James Graham Fair, James Clair Flood, and William S. O'Brien, those giants dressed elegantly, much the like men in New York or Chicago. He knew their names, everyone did. He had met most of them at least once officially, or in certain settings after acquiring his one third interest in the Yellow Jacket mine, which had put him in their company.

"Maybe one 'o them collapsible jobs. Em'll get a kick outta that. But, yer the tailor an' I'm a bit out of fashion of late, so I'll rely on you." Pike had dressed well for a brief period before he left the Comstock. Better gone than dead he figured.  "Just need to look proper." He smiled, "Now this Wigfall that owns the place, he got relations up Montana way?"

@Bongo@Javia?

"Ah, yes, collapsible, we can do that.  And silk plush...beaver is waning in popularity, harder to find and process," Charles explained.  The the subject of 'Wigfall' came up and the man sputtered a bit.  "Oh, um...there is a very distant relation, I believe, but I'm not aware of any correspondence."  That he would speak of, anyway!

"So, um, just give me a moment, and enjoy the drink."  Quickly, the man scurried away, returning several minutes later with a selection of slacks, coats and vests in a variety of green, gold and burgundy brocade. 

"All right then, try these on and let me know what you fancy, then I can see what we need to do to make them fit properly.  As for the sundries, those shouldn't be a problem."

He held out a flattened hat.  "And there's this, just be easy with it."

@Flip

"Easy? How so? I mean I seen 'em popped out with one hand." Barnabas stated. "Ifin' she fragile, well, ain't no sense wastin' money on it. Likely won't survive the trip." It was all show basically for Em because he could have ridden onto the Comstock dressed as he liked. Appearances were important to him for her sake, he was not trying to be something he was not, because that just was not how he lived.

"See, this here trip, are honeymoon, well, I'll have some business to tend to in Virginia City, and up on Sun Mountain, well, I'm a partner in a pretty big affair. The idea is fer the wife to be treated like royalty, here, Frisco an' there afore we git back to ranchin' in Montana. So, that bein' said, I want ever'thing to be perfect fer her."

And so began trying on clothes,

@Bongo

"All our possessions were destroyed: my clothes, the musical instruments I depended upon to earn our keep, and my precious, irreplaceable embossed books: the only ones I can read. Oh, oh Mrs Pike, my entire life was destroyed that day!" she sighed and the poor little blind girl, her shoulders heaving, dissolved in unstoppable, salty, sightless tears.

"Oh, goodness, I'm so sorry."  Emeline shook her head as she patted the girl's hand.  "You would think that a house of God would be a safe refuge."  But then, what good was a church when the community's livelihood was destroyed?  "I suppose Kalispell has a wild side, too," she admitted, "most smaller towns out here do, you just have to be aware."  If the poor girl wanted safety, she'd best stay in Portland, of maybe go to Seattle.

"I'm sure you'll do just fine, especially with your brother's help," Emeline tried to reassure her, "and there's a fine church that has an organ that I'm certain they would let you play on Sundays."  And pianos in the saloons, but she didn't mention that, as those places weren't appropriate for a lady.

At that point, Miss Eleanor returned with the packages.  "Here you are, dear.  Are you going to need help with these?"

@Javia

• Love 1

"Honeymoon?  Congratulations, sir!"  Charles smiled widely.  "And so good of you to want to show the lady a wonderful time.  Here, try the hat," he handed the hat to Pike, "I just mean that you can't be overly rough with it, but see for yourself...just hold it by one edge of the brim and pop the other against your palm.  I can show you how to fold it."

Handling the hat would give him a better feel for it, by design it was a bit more flimsy than a standard hat, the sides were softer and supported by the mechanism that opened it, but then, one didn't usually toss around top hats anyway, and this was much easier to store.

Then came the clothing, fine shirts that fit well enough, trousers in styles that were slightly different, vests, coats with tails of varying lengths and lapel patters.

"So, which do you fancy?  I must say, they all look fine on you and alterations would be basic."

@Flip

She heard the kind stranger offered her condolences and Frances pulled herself together. She didn't usually cry like that, maybe it was Emeline's very kindness that had sparked her off.

"I'm sure you'll do just fine, especially with your brother's help," Emeline tried to reassure her, "and there's a fine church that has an organ that I'm certain they would let you play on Sundays."  And pianos in the saloons, but she didn't mention that, as those places weren't appropriate for a lady.

"Oh, an organ!" beamed Frances, delighted "Most churches out West just seem to have an out of tune piano or a broken down old harmonium: an organ would be splendid." To be honest, her interest was as much pecuniary as religious or musical; when she and her brother had reached San Francisco after being burnt out of Virginia City, the kind proprietor of a Beer Garden on Jackson Street had allowed her to play a benefit concert on his quite newly installed Schoenstein pipe organ. The proceeds from that had kept the wolf from the door while she found more permanent work that she could do.

Frances had found it a little disturbing that the best organ in the city was in a beer garden rather than a church, but pecuniary matters had taken precedence over morals; beggars can't be choosers; and she she had received the money gladly.

At that point, Miss Eleanor returned with the packages.  "Here you are, dear.  Are you going to need help with these?"

"Oh, please let me feel them." Frances said, standing up and holding out her free hand to where the proprietress's voice seemed to emanate from. "I can manage those, she nodded." Actually, they were a bit of a handful with her stick as well, but she didn't want to be offered help carrying them where she would then be obliged to give a tip.

She immediately dropped one of the light, but awkward shaped packages on the floor and bent to feel down to the ground for it. Luckily, she didn't have tight corsets on.

@Bongo

"Oh..."  Emeline gasped as the girl dropped her package, and started to bend down to get it, but then hesitated, wondering if perhaps she even wanted help, or might feel insulted at the offer, that it would imply that she couldn't do for herself.

"It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.

@Javia

• Like 1

"It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.

Miss Grimes flicked her stick to the right and struck the package, bending down to retrieve it. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Pike, I have it." she smiled picking up the package and feeling it over for tears. "I hope none of it is peeping out, it is some undergarments and an old dress that needed repairs. I can sew but it's a laborious process for me, and we will be on our way to Kalispell tomorrow."

She managed to bundle up everything in one arm, packages, stick, and stuck out the other to somewhere near Emeline again.

"Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Connolly at the Diner."

@Bongo 

Edited by Javia (see edit history)