Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   Miss Grimes flicked her stick to the right and struck the package, bending down to retrieve it. "Oh, thank you, Mrs Pike, I have it." she smiled picking up the package and feeling it over for tears. "I hope none of it is peeping out, it is some undergarments and an old dress that needed repairs. I can sew but it's a laborious process for me, and we will be on our way to Kalispell tomorrow."   She managed to bundle up everything in one arm, packages, stick, and stuck out the other to somewhere near Emeline again.   "Goodbye, I hope to see you in Kalispell when you return" she did not shy away from using the 'S' word "And I shall certainly look up Mrs Connolly at the Diner."   @Bongo 
    • "Oh..."  Emeline gasped as the girl dropped her package, and started to bend down to get it, but then hesitated, wondering if perhaps she even wanted help, or might feel insulted at the offer, that it would imply that she couldn't do for herself.   "It's just to your right.  Would you like some help?"  There!  An offer, but Frances' choice.   @Javia        
    • He took Frances' hand and gently shook it, "It's a pleasure to meet you, Miss Grimes."   "And you, Mr. Simons." she smiled sweetly.   "If you are interested in joining the ladies group my aunt Rebecca Wentworth will be running, I can get her to send you an invitation or she can personally come to see you."   "Oh, that sounds wonderful, I shall have to see if, er..." stammered the blind girl, and Crabbe could guess why.    "And it doesn't cost anything to join, does it, Ben?" Lorenzo put in.   "It sounds absolutely wonderful Mr. Simons" said Frances, now much more firmly "Please, just an invitation, I mean, just knowing when and when your Aunt would be holding the meetings would be all I need. I shall find it with no problem. What a kind thought, thank you, Mr. Simons."   At the sound of Ben munching, she decided that she had probably outstayed her welcome at his tableside and said "I shall leave you to your repast, Mr Simons, thank you again."   @JulieS    
    • "First off, proper grammar, it is 'like a blind person' not people," Clara pointed out , "And secondly we are here in this kitchen to cook proper meals for paying customers. That is a responsibility I take most seriously. Kindly be more....adult."   "Ain't it funny, Clara, I'm always makin' mistakes like that when I talk in my regular voice, but when I do 'personations of folk, I can speak right if I needs to. Listen to this:..." the gangly, scruffy teenager suddenly stood up ramrod straight at the frying pan and repositioned the spachelor in her hand like she was holding a dainty quill, then started to speak in a refined, maybe even pretentious voice, very unlike her own, with no trace of a southern accent:   "Arabella, would you please desist from precipitating those most distastful and less that utilitarian anecdotal confabulations. I find them most distressing!" All right, the words might not make sense, but anyone who knew Clara would have recognised the rhythm and tone of her voice.   @Wayfarer
    • "There ain't no 'we', Ara, this is between me n' the cowpoke here. You did not knock and I did not say you could come in," Caroline now pointed out as calmly as she could.   "I know..." replied Arabella sadly "An' I know I promised to do all them things but..." she shook her head a little "when I heard all them terrible horrible rotten things what happened to you, I was just so shocked and sad and angry that some low down bastard could do that to my sweet, pretty, lovely little Caroline, I just... well my soul kinda flew out to you, and my big ol' feet foller'd right along behind it."   She reached across and hugged her again and kissed her on top of her head again. Brendan then put in his two cents' worth.   From there, he looked down at Caroline. "Hey. What I was tryin' to say...goin' to say...is that...I understand."   "Good ta know, hon. Just wait a minute and we can continue this conversation once Ara leaves the room, shuts the door, and assures me she won't be listening in anymore. Got that?" Caroline eyed the teenager.   Arabella nodded compliantly enough, but then twisted in the bed so she was face to face with Brendan, whom she stared straight in the eye.   "But before I go, Brendan Connolly, you gotta tell me that you forgive me for all them silly things I said before and all them silly things I did cause even Caroline's forgiven me and she's the one I did and said them things to and we gettin' on all right now and I found out some stuff which made me change and I'm a better person now and it just ain't fair that you're still treatin' me so mean and, and..." she gulped down a sob and a lone tear appeared in the corner of her eye.   "... I really want you to be my friend again..." she wiped away the tear "... please."   @Bailey @Wayfarer
Richard Orr

The Long Awaited Town Council Meeting 2

The Marshall was happy with his examination of the body and the scene of the fire, so the body could be moved, which was good news. Mr Jolly didn't like waiting around: time was money. To his surprise Doctor Danforth offered to help move the body. Usually he and his helper, Gilbert, would have demurred, but in this case he was happy for the extra help. 

"Mr. Jolly, let me help you with that.  We can wrap him in the blanket then get him to your office."  Where he could sneak out the back!

"I'll nay say no to that offer Doctor, I thank you kindly. These burnt ones go sour awful quickly, especially in this sort of weather, y'ken? Aye, there'll be little or no skin t' keep the fluids in." he explained matter-of-factly, while Jemima turned her ghoulish glance toward the large 'package' on the ground. If the doctor was hoping that this would be a good way to shake the love-lorn girl, he was to be sadly mistaken. 

"Jemima child, you'll take a corner too!" he instructed her, at which she gave an obedient "Yes Uncle Col." The lugubrious undertaker took Danforth's expression of disappointment as one of confusion and filled him in.

Jenny_Tomasin.jpg

"Do y'no ken that wee Jemima's ma niece, Doctor? And a fine girl too, I might add: as strong as she's bonny! She'll be a fair catch for some young man one o' these days!" a blushing Jemima gave a sniff and a little smile, basking in the glow of being praised in the company of the dishy Doctor D. With the four of them, it was pretty easy work to get the body to the funeral parlour, hefty though it was. Once there, Jolly's assistant, the reticent, almost somnambulant Gilbert took charge of the corpse. People said that if it weren't for his vertical posture, Gilbert might be mistaken for one of the funeral director's clients.

Jolly detained Danforth from leaving immediately.

"You'll nay stop for a wee dram, Doctor?" he told, rather than asked, Jonah, and sent Jemima to fetch a bottle of fine old Scotch whiskey that he had stored amongst the coffins and shrouds at the back of the place.

When she was gone, Old Col further sang her praises. "Och aye, she's a good wee bairn, our Jemima: hard worker, religious, and can drink any man in town under the table. And you know she has the sight, too, Doctor, did you ken that? She talks with my poor, dear, dead wife her aunt on a regular basis: it is quite the comfort to me in my twilight years, you may be sure!" he ruminated, his bushy white eyebrows raising up and down with emotion.

@Bongo

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Phinn was as close to being in shock as a man who'd fought in the late war could be. He was till there, with those who had gathered near the corpse that had been Richard T. Orr. In moments the body would be loaded and on it's way the undertaker's office where the family would go to make those final arrangements, when they were able, of course. He envied them not.

To be clear, Phinn McVay detested Dick Orr and all that the man stood for. His family? There are always those innocent beneficiaries of a mans inhumanity to man, no matter how slight. Of course, that was not the case here, Orr was a corrupt a man as was possible, but charm and whit can carry a man a long ways with the fairer sex, of that he had some experience. But Phinn had never set out to defraud, swindle, or, extort people, not that he could actually prove Orr guilty of such things, but the packet of papers he had managed to rescue, stuffed in his coat pocket might say otherwise.

"Gentlemen," He said as he rose. "I'll be at my office if any should need me." And with that Phinn McVay walked away

"Oh, you're related?"  Jonah feigned interest, although the surprise was genuine and the dismay hidden.  "Seems the Wigfall clan has many a tendril in these parts." 

Then he was offered whisky and regaled with the charms of Miss Jemima...and he had to allow that he needed the whisky to swallow the assertions, which he conveniently did not acknowledge. 

"You'll have your work, dealing with Mr. Orr," he commented, "but at least you won't need to worry about the viewing."  For there was nothing to even patch together to view, save for just covering everything in pretty cloth.

@Javia

"Oh, you're related?"  Jonah feigned interest, although the surprise was genuine and the dismay hidden.  "Seems the Wigfall clan has many a tendril in these parts." 

"Aye, you ken Mrs Wigfall, yon Jemima's mither: why she was a bonny wee lass when first I came to Kalispell, two wee bairns in tow and ne'ry a Father to their name... until wee Mr. Wigfall married her and made her decent. But bonnier still was her sister Elizabeth. And despite her beauty and her youth, she agreed to be mine. Ahhhhh... two short years we had, and then she was away. Beautiful still in death."

"You'll have your work, dealing with Mr. Orr," he commented, "but at least you won't need to worry about the viewing."  For there was nothing to even patch together to view, save for just covering everything in pretty cloth.

Jolly frowned "Dinnie underestimate me, Doctor Danforth, dinnie underestimate me! You'd be amazed what can be done with a false beard, some modelling clay and a pot of emulsion." 

"Don't bother, Uncle Col!" Jemima's stentorian voice boomed as she returned with three glasses of whiskey, one of which she passed to Jonah, the other to Jolly. "Here's to a just God who burns sinners in Hell!" she declared with no little venom in her voice and, raising her glass in a toast, downed it one.

021012-jenny-tomasin-british-actress.jpg

@Bongo

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

Taking the glass of whisky -- he really needed it -- Jonah joined in the toast, silently agreeing that at times, God tended to give people their due, and he had to wonder what that meant for him.  Of course, there were plenty of evil people who lived long, hale lives, and far too many good, innocent people who died far too young.

"I'm sorry to hear about your wife, Mr. Jolly," he commented, although he did have to ponder just what the man's perception of 'beauty' was.

"I think that's the reason I've staunchly avoided a relationship...I see so much illness and death, I don't know if I could survive losing a loved one."

That, and he could always walk away from a place any time he liked, but he'd be obligated to drag a family with him.

"So," he changed the focus of the conversation, "you can make Mr. Orr presentable?"  Maybe reconstruct the semblance of a face, but the features of a specific face? That would be interesting to see!

@Javia

• Thanks 1

"I'm sorry to hear about your wife, Mr. Jolly," he commented, although he did have to ponder just what the man's perception of 'beauty' was.

By chance, the old man fished out a worn silver locket from his breast pocket, which he flipped open and showed to the medical man. It showed a formal portrait of a striking and beautiful woman.

9852a872f43f2db410f1b40d63240a67--civil-

"Ah, my poooorrr wee Lizzie. She could have done much, much better than me. But never was there a better wife or more lovely companion fer a man." he sighed, pulling out a handkerchief and dabbing his old eyes. Jemima, usually so rough and ready, lay a comforting hand on her Uncle's shoulder. 

"I think that's the reason I've staunchly avoided a relationship...I see so much illness and death, I don't know if I could survive losing a loved one."

"Best make sure you marry someone young and healthy and strong, then." suggested Jemima, who was reputed to be able to bend an iron bar with her bare hands. 

"So," he changed the focus of the conversation, "you can make Mr. Orr presentable?"  Maybe reconstruct the semblance of a face, but the features of a specific face? That would be interesting to see!

"Och, it's amazing what can be done with a wee bit of backlighting and a well placed aspidistra, Doctor. It'll depend on the family's wishes, o'course. I'll be off to see Mrs Orr presently and you might well come along too, Jem', I ken you're good friends wi' the lady." the funeral director ruminated looking up at his niece.

"We go to the same Spiritualist Church." Jemima told Danforth "She's all right, but I hate that stupid Amnesia!" she spat, venom animating her usually placid face. "Och ye hate everybody, girl, run along with ya!" her uncle countered, and Jemima left the room in a strop. Jolly shook his head and turned to the Doctor. 

"What am I to do with the lassie, Doctor Danforth? She hates her Brother, hates her Mother, pays scant respect to her Father, and she'd gladly shoot half the townsfolk gi'en the chance. Ahhh..." he shook his head "... what she needs is a man! But y'ken that she's nay the bonniest lass in town. Now, if only she were a corpse, why mon, I could make her look like a princess! But the living are beyond my ken. Is there nothing that medical science can do the noo, doctor?"

Yes, couldn't Doctor Danforth, with all his medical qualifications, do something to make his niece more attractive to the opposite sex? 

"I'm no a rich man" the miserly Jolly lied "But I'd pay for anything you could do to help the poor lass."

@Bongo

• Made Me Laugh! 1

"Oh, well...she's a charming young lady," in her own peculiar sort of way, "but I'm afraid I can't alter her appearance.  I only treat maladies and traumatic injuries."  Jonah offered a smile, wondering if there would ever be sufficient technology to correct God's handiwork!  "Her skin is smooth and clear," he offered a bit of encouragement, "but I may be able to recommend herbals to enhance her hair and put that extra sparkle into her eyes that make a man take notice."  As if she wasn't noticed wherever she went!

"But for now, I'll leave you to your work, I hope you can do the man justice for his family's sake."  The worst part of death was the survivors, because, well, death.

@Javia

Mr Jolly could only sigh as Jonah failed to disclose any miracle cure for Jemima's frowziness. Even his sister in law, Jemima's Mother, the redoubtable Mrs Wigfall, although stout and getting on in years, had a sort of vivacious attraction for men, and her twin brother Hector, although annoying to many, was undeniably handsome: Jemima however, represented a manifestation of the family blood which somehow missed the mark. 

"But for now, I'll leave you to your work, I hope you can do the man justice for his family's sake."  The worst part of death was the survivors, because, well, death.

"Och, you'll no bide-a-wee for another dram? Aye, well, I dare say that we both have our work to get on with, grim as it may be!" Old Col acknowledged as he rose and took Dr Danforth's proffered grip.

"Jemima!" he called to the back rooms "Will ye no come bid farewell to the Doctor?" 

"She appeared and gave Jonah a shy wave goodbye." some colour in her cheeks. 

2-2-2.gif

"There is always hope for each of God's creatures," Jonah tried to reassure Jolly, but then he chuckled and shook his head, glancing at Orr's sloughing carcass.  "Well, maybe not every one."

Then Miss Wigfall was summoned from the depth of the other room, and Jonah gave her a slight smile and a nod of the head.  "Good day, Miss Wigfall.  Thank you for your assistance today.  That was more than any lady should have to see."

Where was his jacket?  And he needed a bath, a change of clothes and something to eat.  Maybe he'd go to the Lickskillet tonight so he didn't have to worry about what to prepare...and apple pie sounded good!

@Javia

• Thanks 1