Announcements

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Brendan simply sat in the bed and listened to Caroline. That was the least he could do. But at least she was saying good things about him. He would have felt proud in any other circumstances, but right now he just felt guilty, as though he had somehow had a hand in Caroline's horrible fate.   His eyes widened in surprise as she kissed him. The kiss was not deep, but it was still affectionate, although not the kind of affection he had imagined when he had imagined being kissed by Caroline. But, in a way, this was better.   He lifted a hand and put it at the back of her neck. Doing that felt all right - to him, anyway. It was the natural thing to do when someone kissed you. He knew that if his hand slid down, it would be resting between her bare shoulder blades. Instead of sliding his hand down, he let his fingers slide off the back of her neck and down onto the sheets as she pulled away.   "I've never been so glad to get a consolation prize," he said in a light-hearted tone. Because that's what the kiss had been.
    • "Oh, Miz Addy doesn't scare easy," Weedy pointed out, "she even killed a bear that killed one of her horses!"  He was real proud of her for that, even though she didn't make much of it.  "Gave the carcass to the Piutes, but she kept a couple of the claws."   He led the way into the kitchen, where there was a table that (barely) seated four, although there were only three chairs, a small stove, pantry and a sink complete with indoor pump.  "Here's some water."  Carefully, Weedy used the pump to fill a tin mug that he handed to Isiah.   "We can put the horses behind the house, and you can just stay in here when she gets home."  He looked up at the man with a grin.  "Are you the brother who pushed her in the lake or left her in the tree to find her own way down?"   @MD
    • Lucinda smiled as Clara emerged from the kitchen. The girl was so young, and so solemn, even though the expression on her face was pleasant. She had been slightly nervous about asking the new Mrs. Lutz for work - never having asked anyone for work before - but how could she be scared of a woman as young as Clara was?   "Well, actually, I was hoping that I might be able to help you." She held her hat with both hands so that it touched her knees. "My name is Lucinda Dietrich. I don't know how much Emeline told you, but I'm new in town. I helped Emeline wash dishes one night and she told me that if I couldn't find work, to come back here."   She paused, unsure of what to say next. Up until now she'd just been filling Clara in, but now she actually had to ask for work. How did one do that?   "Could...could you use an extra hand in the kitchen? Or out here?"
    • "Hello? Who is there, please?" asked Frances, raising her voice that the stranger outside might hear.    "Marshal Speed Guyer, Miss Grimes," He announced.   When she realized that it was the Marshall, she let him in immediately. "Is this about my brother?" she asked, in a voice that betrayed the fact that she would be surprised if it was about anything else.   "I'm afraid so ma'am," He was not not surprised, "Perhaps you'd like to sit down." He gave her a moment before continuing, "I'm afraid that your brother Frank got into an argument with some men at the Stardust Saloon earlier.  Unfortunately for him, he drew his pistol, and was killed." That did not come out the way he had intended. It sounded hollow and cold.   "I have what money he had on him, and some from the sale of his gun totaling thirty-five dollars." He added. "Also, there is the question of his horse and saddle. If you like, Miss Grimes, it can be sold and the money would come to you." He had hoped to make the delivery of Franks death much more smooth, but he felt a failure in that department. @Javia
    • Arabella listened with rapt attention to Mr. McVay's story about how he and his late wife had met and married. Oh, it was no heart-pounding tale of wild romance, as might be found within the yellow tinged pages of a dime novel; but neither was it the cold and stodgy retelling of some arranged twinning based upon financial dowries and settlements, as was so often the case. No, it was a nice, cosy, warm story: and Arabella smiled happily through the bulk of it.   But then came the dreaded and awful denouement.    "The winter of '74 Beth took a serious fall while I was at work. By the time I got home her leg was swollen, the house was like ice, and I was in a panic."   Arabella, who had been imagining Mr. and Mrs. McVay's idyllic life together so vividly, gasped, and her face fell.   He paused again. "I got her to the doctor who had her admitted to the hospital where they tended to her leg, but within days pneumonia set in. Not having the necessary strength to fight it, she succumbed."   "Oh, McVay..." sighed Arabella, leaning forward, eyes wide, her lower lip beginning to tremble.   He fained a smile, but his now red rimmed eyes were forming tears. "And, here I am."   The girl from Virginia, who was given to wearing her heart on her sleeve and crying at the drop of a hat at the best of times, now burst fully into great sobbing tears and running over threw her arms around the hard bitten reporter and wrapped him in a chaste and heartfelt hug.   "Oh poor Beth! And poor Mr. McVay!" she wept, before disentangling herself and wiping her nose on her sleeve. "and now you're here and... you're all... all alone in the world. Sniff."    @Flip
Charles Wentworth Sr.

Wentworth Family Dinner

Mature Content: No

With: The Wentworth Family and Ben Simons
When: Saturday, 29 July 1876
Time of Day: Evening

content-divider.png

Charles looked up at the clock and noted the time.  It was nearly six o'clock and Rebecca was adamant that the meal start at seven, so Charles expected his guests arrive at any time.  He smiled, they weren't exactly guests, they were all members of his family.  Charlie was already here as he had moved in shortly after becoming a deputy.  Right now he was helping his mother set the table, along with Natosi, the girl Mike and Sam had found a couple of months ago.

Tonight would be the first time that all of them would be together.  It was hard getting Mike and Sam in town at the same as they took turns coming in, so the date had to be set well in advance, so that Mike could make the necessary arrangements he needed to at Lost Lake.  Matt was always busy with the hotel or some business with the town council.  The meeting that had been held earlier in the month to discuss the hospital and orphanage had been a tumultuous one.  The fallout from that meeting was still being felt around town.

The last guest, was Ben, who was always welcome, even if he didn't quite approve of the man's activities.  Surprisingly, Ben had managed to stay out of any trouble since his arrival and was becoming somewhat of an entrepeneur with his plans to start a theatre.  Maybe there was some hope for his wayward nephew after all.

With nothing much else to do but sit and wait, Charles took a seat by the fireplace and started to read the newspaper.

• Like 2

Sam and Mike had been the first to arrive, followed not long after by Ben and Matt.  Now that they were seated at the table and eating, Sam's mind drifted to the sight he had seen a few days ago.

He had been on the part of the Lost Lake Ranch that was farthest south.  Well, to be more precise, south-east, mending fences when he heard a strange sound.  In that part of the range there were fewer trees compare to the mountains on the northside, so he didn't have far to ride to find out what it was.  Heading towards Smith Lake, he crossed the border of the land owned by the Thorntons and into, what he had been told was an abandoned farm.

From what he knew about this part of the land, was it was owned by some farmer who had tried growing crops and failed.  As far as he knew there was no-one there now, but he soon found out that he was wrong.

As he rode closer to the lake, the noise became louder and started to become more familiar.  It had been a while since he had heard it but he recognised what it was.  What it was and meant was trouble.

Soon he came upon the sight.  The herd was small, but it was significant enough to worry a lot of people, especially the ranchers.  Looking around, he couldn't see anybody which in a way was a good thing.  Turning his horse, he had headed back to Lost Lake.  Thankfully, he had been on his own or the whole territory would know by now that there were sheep.

Looking around at his family, Sam decided not to mention anything to them.  In fact, he hadn't bothered saying anything to his bosses at Lost Lake.  He wanted to find out more about the sheep and those who owned them.  Maybe he could work out something with them first and then present it his boss, to see what they do.  It was better than going off half-cocked and starting some sort of war.

TBC

• Wow! 1

As the meal progressed, Charlie would gaze around the table occasionally.  There was the usual talk about what everybody had been up to since they had last seen one or more of the family.  He didn't want to breach the subject of the upcoming fight which was now only one week away.  If someone asked him about it, he would say something then, but it didn't seem likely as it was a topic that didn't interest his mother.  No doubt after the meal there would be some talk about it when she wasn't around.  Even though she was the only female at the table, she still stuck to the rules of society and leave the men alone to talk.  His mother would probably go upstairs to check on Natosi and Ruth.

He didn't know much about the two women residing in the house.  Ruth was still recovering from the wounds she had received.  According to both Mike and Sam it was some sort of miracle that she had survived so long.  Natosi spent most of her time with her mother but would come down to help every now and then, like earlier this evening.  When the food was ready, Natosi had gone back upstairs with meals for both her and her mother.

A snippet of conversation caught his attention.  His father was asking Matt about how things were going with the town council.  This reminded him about the horrible death of Richard Orr.  He had been only on the job as a deputy for a few days when the tragedy occurred.   There was nothing like been thrown in the deep end but he knew that he would have to handle stuff like this if he wanted to make being a lawman a lifelong career.

Orr's death was followed a week or so later by the death of Frank Grimes.  That was no great loss as far as he was concerned and all part of learning the job.  Being a deputy was something he was determined to succeed at.  Thankfully, he had a good Marshall like Speed Guyer to train him and the support of his family.

TBC

• Love 1

Rebecca looked around the table and she smiled.  Her four sons and nephew, Ben (who she considered a son in some ways) were all settled here and none of them looked like they had any plans to move on.  The only ones missing were her daughter and her family.  Maybe one day they would come out for a visit once her husband's position in Washington was more secure.

It had taken her a month or two to learn about Kalispell, the surrounding area, and the people who lived.  Mostly, she had found that the town was well set up with a good variety of things to do.  There were still people needing help after the disaster at Whitefish and she was happy to do what she could.  One thing of concern she did find was that the young ladies in town were sometimes left to their own devices, which on occasion had proved disastrous.  When she had heard about the tabloid that a group of young women had presented at the town meeting a couple of weeks ago, she was determine to do something about.

A week or so, later Ben had told her about his plans to buy the White Rose and convert it to a small theatre.  This got her thinking and when she approached Ben about her idea, she was surprised to find that he was entertaining the same idea.  Now, all they needed to was to get Charles to approve of it...not that she really needed but it would be still nice to have.

Her family had always had leanings to towards more theatrical things than her husband's.  Ben's showed up in his flair for playing cards and some of the schemes he got involved in.  There were some cousins who were actors and there was even one who was a singer somewhere in New York.  As, for herself, it tended to show up more in the way she planned parties and family gatherings.  Even tonight had taken some time and effort to get everything and everyone there at the same time.

After taking a sip of her wine, she smiled again, "I want everyone to know how glad I am to see that you could all make it here.  I'm especially glad that Ben is here as we both have something to announce.  Would you like to tell everyone about it, or shall I?"

TBC