Sagas of the Wild West
  • Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts

Finding Addy

Message added by Stormwolfe,

Holding off Moving this thread until I hear back from Bongo regarding its status. If it has been abandoned, there is no reason to move it.

"Then I'll get started right on that tomorrow." 

"Don't gotta be in so big a hurry," Addy said with a grin, "take a bit'a time ta settle in.  But there's some wood scraps behind th' barn could be used."  They'd always been taught to use salvage when they could, and not let anything go to waste, and a project like the beds could easily be accomplished with salvage.

"I'm just about ready to take you up on that offer for pie in the town." He said with a laugh and looked towards Weedy's room. "Sounds like those two are gettin' along just fine."

"Weedy'll be happy fer a little cousin, an' it'll be good fer him ta have someone ta look after."  Addy nodded at the suggestion of pie, but added, "Let's get yer horse settled, we can do that on th' way, an' I'll show ya around th' barn.  Belongs ta th' Millegan Stage Company, but I run it."

The maintenance and use was her responsibility, but Addy didn't mind, it was better than having someone else impose their hair-brained ideas!

"Hey, boys!" Addy called, "Pie time, c'mon!"

++++++++++++++++++++++

Josh's eyes got real big with excitement  when Weedy mentioned the friend and that his friend had a lake they could swim in. "Swimmin's prolly my most favoritest thing ta do!" He proclaimed.  "Is your friend Wyler big like you?"

"Yeah, sure, Wyatt's real nice, he lives on a farm, and his Dad is nice, too."  The boy grinned.  "He has a sister, too, but she's a girl, and she's married now, so that won't bother us."  He was excited to introduce his cousin to Wyatt, to show his friend that he had family.

Then Addy called and he jumped up.  "Pie?  Let's go!"

@MD

"Don't gotta be in so big a hurry," Addy said with a grin, "take a bit'a time ta settle in.  But there's some wood scraps behind th' barn could be used."  They'd always been taught to use salvage when they could, and not let anything go to waste, and a project like the beds could easily be accomplished with salvage.

Isiah nodded his head and stood to get ready to go. "I can't be sittin' idle for too long, Addy.... you know that." He said with a smile back at her.  She knew he couldn't sit idle too long because he just plain didn't like sitting still.  He had always wanted to stay busy, but now, these days, he couldn't let his mind get idle either.  He was bound and determined he won't letting grief over Daisy get the best of him!

"Weedy'll be happy fer a little cousin, an' it'll be good fer him ta have someone ta look after."  Addy nodded at the suggestion of pie, but added, "Let's get yer horse settled, we can do that on th' way, an' I'll show ya around th' barn.  Belongs ta th' Millegan Stage Company, but I run it."

The horses were exhausted from the long trip but there was no way he was stopping along the way to get a set of fresh horses.  He'd had these two beauties he and Josh rode here for a long time and they were basically like family to him.  "I know they are ready to get settled." He agreed with her as he heard the patter of the boys feet running towards them.  Josh coming right up to him and he lifted him up to carry him out. "How long you been working with Millegan?" He asked as he pat Josh on the back, who he could tell was also exhausted after a long day, but nothing was stopping him from getting some pie!

++++++++

Josh wrinkled up his nose when Weedy mentioned that the girl had gotten married "I don't know why people go off 'n get married....so gross!" But then the mention of pie and he was running out right along with Weedy.  

"What kind a pie is it?" He asked his Aunt Addy as they headed out the door and towards the barn. 

@Bongo

"Oh, they got apple an' peach an' pecan, sometimes even rhubarb."  Not her favorite, but there were always a couple of options. 

"And sometimes there are cookies, or cake, too!" Weedy added, pretty much willing to eat anything, so long as it was sweet! 

"I been with Millegan fer five 'er six years," Addy answered her brother as they crossed the dirt road and headed to Main Street.  "They been real good ta me, an' let me use th' barn fer my team, too."

Once on Main Street, the barn was just up a ways, and she pushed open the big, sliding doors in the front, revealing the wide breezeway, flanked by stalls on either side.  At the back was the tack room and a small room where Addy had lived before buying the house, and above those, the loft.

"Pick a couple'a stalls fer yer horses," she told Isiah, "Weedy can go up in th' loft an' drop down some hay, an' I'll get 'em a ration'a grain."  Well, grain for all the horses, since they'd all be expecting it.

"This here's Arabesque, my saddle mare," she indicated a rather petite sorrel mare who had stuck her head over one of the stall doors, then she pointed out her freight team.  The stage horses were out on a run with another driver.

"We'll get everyone settled, then go get our pie!"

@MD

Josh's eyes lit up as he heard the pie options and that there might also be some cookies and cake! "Mmmm, I want cake, Pa!" He said to his Daddy as he squirmed to get down from his Pa's arms so he could walk with Weedy like a big kid.  

Isiah sat him down on his feet, ruffling his hair as he did. "You best wait and get there to decide what you want." He chided.

As they walked into the Millegan Stage barn, Isiah whistled in delight at the sight of it.  It was something nice, they didn't have anything like this back in Pigeon Forge.  "Well ain't this somethin' nice?" He remarked to his sister and led his horse and Josh's to the closest empty stalls.  "I'm glad they're treatin' ya so well, sis." Isiah knew he'd normally have something smart to say, something to make her laugh, pick on her in a big brother kind of way, but he just hadn't found himself yet since Daisy had left him, but he knew sure enough he'd find himself again.

As she introduced him to Aberesque he walked over to her stroking her down the front of her nose.  "Well ain't you a beauty?" He spoke to the horse and as Weedy set into action to get the hay and Addy the grain he looked over his shoulder at them. "Can I lend you a hand with that?" He asked them both, knowing full well they were capable of it themselves, had been before he'd come along so of course they were now, but it would be unmannerly of him not to ask and offer.  

Josh set out to follow Weedy and help with the hay, especially 'cause he heard Aunt Addy say something about going into a loft and he sure loved to climb!

@Bongo

"Maybe, fer this special occasion," Addy suggested, "we can try a little'a each?  That way, we can get a taste'a everything, so next time, we know what our favorite is."  It was a plan that appealed to her, so she didn't have to decide which she wanted!

"Never turn down help," she declared, "but seems ta me yer th' one needs help brushin' them horses down."  She glanced at Weedy and Josh, considering for a moment if it was safe to let the boy go up into the loft, but then, his father could stop him, and, after all, he was a Chappel!  He'd grown up around horses, and was of hardy stock!

With them all working together, it wouldn't take too long to get the horses settled, and then they could be on the way to treats!

@MD

Josh continued to follow behind Weedy, his eyes lighting up when she suggested they get something of each.  "Now Aunt Addy's just real smart ain't she?!" That was the best idea he'd heard all day!  Try 'em all and you can't go wrong!

Isiah wasn't concerned about Josh following Weedy up in the loft, maybe he should have been and his wife probably would have admonished him for allowing it, but such as it was she wasn't here and he won't worried.  Addy's thoughts were right, he had that tough Chappel blood and there won't much that could knock him down.....he glanced to the boy as he got up a bit higher and his imagination started playing tricks on him.  In an instant he was seeing Josh tumbling down from the loft....... Something happening to his son and suddenly he found himself being just as protective as Daisy had been over him.  Isiah rushed over to him and got there just in time to grab Josh by the ankle so he couldn't go up any higher. "You need ta come on over here and get yer horse brushed." He thought quickly, not wanting his sister or anyone to be onto the fact that he was being over protective like that....being that way wasn't his personality but he reckoned after everything that had happened maybe he was changing, as much as he didn't want it.  Maybe it would be short lived...he'd get over it...maybe....

Josh squirmed against him, protestin' "But I wanna get the hay with Weedy, Pa! I can do it!" He was kicking and doing his best to get out of his Pa's arms, but he was too small. He sat him down, headed in the direction of the horses, but once Josh's feet hit the barn floor he was turning to go back to help Weedy.  Isiah put a hand on his shoulder and turned him back. "Get on over there to yer horse, Joshua!" The boy pouted some, crossing his arms over his chest as he now marched, showing his discontent, to the horse and the brush.  He knew he'd better not push his Pa too far, but he sure won't happy about it!

@Bongo

Addy couldn't help but grin at the lad's protests, fully understanding his indignation.  More than once, an older brother had meted out the same treatment to her (except for that time she fell out of the tree!), and honestly, she was glad not to have little Josh up in the loft.  Maybe later, when there was time, he could go up with her or his father, so there would be better supervision.

"Those're fine mounts ya got there," she tried a distraction, "look like good Tennessee stock!  They got pacer in 'em?"  The fine pacing horses of Tennessee were bred with a fifth  gait, over the expected walk, trot, lope and gallop, they had a smooth, ambling gait, a sort of shuffle-walk that moved quickly, but without any sort of jostling.

"Get 'em all brushed out, an' in stalls, then we'll get our treats!"

@MD

Josh was full Chappel that was for sure!  The temper and everything else!

He went over and grabbed a brush and started brushing as high up as he could on his horse. 

"Those're fine mounts ya got there," she tried a distraction, "look like good Tennessee stock!  They got pacer in 'em?"

"Yep." Isiah nodded as he brushed, starting where Josh couldn't reach. "Sure, do.  Good eye there." He smiled at her.  She always knew horses way better than he did.  He wouldn't be able to peg a breed if his life depended on it!

Isiah looked down at Josh and winked, smiling at him, wanting to encourage him too. "Tell her where we got 'em and watch her light up like it's Christmas morning." Josh knew where they'd gotten the horses because he had come with his Pa and they had gotten them maybe a year or so ago.  Josh smiled, being 5, he was easily distracted both by the conversation and the reminder about treats!  He peered around his Pa at his Aunt Addy.

"Oh we got 'em from Mr. Smiley!" Josh told her and tilted his head like a puppy. "You know him?" He asked her, but Isiah already knew the answer to that.  Of course she knew him.  He lived not too far from their place in Pigeon Forge and growing up Mr. Smiley and his wife were always happy and warm souls, thus the nickname the Chappel boys and Addy had given him.  He and his wife didn't have any children and they adopted the Chappel kids like their own grandchildren!  Isiah could swear he stayed an old man forever.  He thought Mr. Smiley was old when he was young, so how old was he now?!  

Isiah chuckled some as he looked at Addy waiting her reaction.  Who knows the last time she had seen the jovial old man!

@Bongo

"Mr. Smiley?"  Addy's eyes lit up at the mention of the name.  "Ya mean that ol' coot's still alive?  I'll be gully-whomped!  Well, no wonder they're such fine animals!"

Shaking her head, she continued to smile as she looked at her brother.  "We had it good, didn't we?"  At least until the war had changed things so much that there was, at least for her, no going back.  "But then, our paths went different ways, an' I can't say as it was a bad thing fer me." 

Certainly, she wouldn't have thrived back in Pigeon Forge, not that she would have been pressured to get married, or to take up 'woman's work', but she just didn't think she'd be happy in a place so civilized.

"C'mon, now, let's go get us some pie!"  She was looking forward to having time to chat with her brother once the boys were in bed.

@MD

Isiah smiled wide to her reaction, nodding his head as he put away the brushes that he and Josh had been using.  The horses were tidied, fed and watered, he knew they would both sleep well tonight after such a long journey. "Yep, sure is." He comment as he reached down to grab Josh by the hand but as soon as Josh was done brushin' he ran towards the ladder Weedy had used to go up to the loft.

"You comin' Weedy?" He yelled up to him.  "Addy says it's time fer pie!" 

Shaking her head, she continued to smile as she looked at her brother.  "We had it good, didn't we?"  At least until the war had changed things so much that there was, at least for her, no going back.  "But then, our paths went different ways, an' I can't say as it was a bad thing fer me." 

"Sure does look like it worked out for you." She was doing amazing for herself out here! "And I'm glad you left.  Had you not me an' Josh wouldn't be here that's for sure."  He walked with her out of the barn and looked around, checking out the area.  "Guess the people around here must be nice enough or you would'na stayed." He said glancing back over his shoulder to see if Weedy needed any help inside the barn before they left, but then eyes back on his sister.

@Bongo