• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Barnabas listened, understanding the young mans desire to venture out, and also his hesitance to leave his sister behind. Life has those twists and turns that are possible blocks to what feels like their calling. "Well, you know, there are ways that you could manage that education, and there are ways that Lillian here could go with you." Then he cautioned, "I would certainly hesitate to travel to the Dakotas until the Indians are pacified. I'm sure they are filled with the power of their defeat of George Custer."   "Then again, should you attend the university, things could be settled before you graduated and ventured out. Education is a fine thing, Tom, whether you use it here, or the Dakotas, or wherever  you might venture forth. I only wished I had had the luxury of education beyond what I managed at my mothers knee and that one room school house in Texas." But fortune had smiled on him, the poker hand and what he had brought him, and then Em. His life was good, all things considered.
    • Their cab driver was waiting for them, he'd stayed close, alert to when they would return, and he was content, having had a wonderful lunch that Mrs. Pike had had packed for him.  Now, he helped get the remains of their picnic loaded, then made sure everyone was settled, with blankets in case they needed them, and started back for town.   "That was a wonderful outing!" Emeline declared, chuckling.  "Although I think I ended up with half the beach in my shoes!"  That had been something she hadn't thought about when going barefoot...putting the shoes and socks back on had been a challenge, especially with no way to keep the sand out!   She settled in, wrapping a blanket around her knees, since the hem of her skirt was damp, then rested her head against Barnabas' shoulder and was soon asleep.  Across from them, Lillian was also dozing.   "Thank you for letting us come with you, sir," Tom murmured quietly, "my sister works too hard and it's good for her to have some fun.  And I appreciate the advice.  College sounds like a good plan, if we can afford it.  I'd love to go to Montana or the Dakotas, but I don't want to leave Lillian."   @Flip
    • "Guess you're right about just showin' up at the ranch like that." He agree, and that is kind of you, but I've cash put by for this trip I've made. The hotel does sound good. And the local fare? Which is the best place to eat. Lookin' for big steak dinner I am. Been sometime since I was able to get somethin' like that. It was a trip to remember, long, hard, and with every temperature you could imagine."   It had been that and a bit more. There had been Molly McGuire, he was missing her, but Kalispell would not be the place for her if all that had been said came to fruition between Lost Lake and the Evergreen. He had waltzed in on what could be a real corpse and cartridge affair, and one that went on an on til they forgot what it was about, or who started it.   "I appreciate your offer, and your council about town and holdin' off till the ranch hands were in town. I'll do just that. @JulieS    
    • Benjamin gave up on the fruitless pursuit of the surviving war party, they were down a six or so anyhow and more than likely just heading back to their home village. If it was one thing the US cavalry learned about chasing Indians, you didn't catch 'em.  Best horsemen in the world maybe. So he ordered his scouts and troopers to turn back and then spent the better part of a few hours just getting back to the rest of his command. It being dark did not help at all but the scouts were up to the task.   Once back he found out that a lot had happened - almost all good too, well except another trooper had been killed. But Lt. Greene found (had lucked into it really but no criticism there - it was the great Napoleon who had said  'better a lucky general than a good one') the women and they were alive. Looking a bit worse for wear but no dangerous wounds, the saloon girl was already wearing trousers and a bluecoat lent her by eager troopers. And Greene had a face to face encounter with an Arapaho brave looking to kill the ladies. That Indian was dead. Barlow didn't press the young officer on the details, that he could read in the report Greene would have to write out later back in the fort, for the young man was wounded and in considerable discomfort. They didn't have a doctor with this detachment but one of the troopers who knew something about wound treatment assured Benjamin the boy would live and keep his leg. Well unless he didn't take care of it properly and get gangrene.   The stage driver was quite the tough gal too. She was sporting a large bruise from where the Arapaho had belted her with his gun butt but in good humor and even told him that the two women had killed their guard and escaped on their own.  Barlow was impressed.   "Well, it's a pity we don't allow women in the army, we could use a couple more like you and your friend," Benjamin remarked to Addy.   It was a tough call to make - normally traveling at night was not the wise thing to do but they had the wounded to think of and the sooner they got them back to better medical care at the fort or even town, the better. He decided darkness or not, they would head back and issued the appropriate orders.   They kept the pace deliberately slow but steady. He wasn't worried about Indian attack - Plains Indians did not attack at night and besides that war party was good as destroyed and definitely dispersed.  No, the bigger danger was loss of a horse or horses to prairie dog holes or god knows what else whilst traveling in the darkness.   Then there was a holler from ahead.   @MD  @Bongo @Flip @Javia
    • Both men had agreed, it had been a hell of a day. That Bannister came to them had been unexpected, but welcomed.  As they walked to the hotel after stabling their mounts they paused on the porch, taking up seats on the porch. Both men silent as they turned over the events of the day. Neither weary as they should be after a long hard ride back to Kalispell.   "This shapes up different than I was thinking it would. I mean hell, this is father against daughter." Cook said, "Seen a few that was father-son, never father-daughter."   "Odd one, that's fer shore. Now This Elias Steelgrave, you know much about him?" McNue asked, wonder what type of man is a threat to his own flesh and blood.   "Some, none of it good, and none of it arrestable, if that's even a word. The man skirts the law in a way he gets what he's after without consequence. Though I've heard there's a dark past with some bodies, but again, no real proof. Well, we'll check in with Guyer in the morning, see what we can do."   "Sounds to be a good idea, as dos gettin' our fair share 'o shuteye." McNue agreed. Both men got to their feet and entered the hotel. On this night their prospective of what was happening had changed.
Lucinda Dietrich

The Wedded and the Widdowed

There was the sound of the back door opening, Clara turned and there he was, her Jacob. Truthfully he looked worn out.

"I'm back! Don't mind if I don't kiss you, I'm filthy as Hell. Got any coffee on the boil? How's lil' Arabella?" he drawled before stopping when he saw Clara was not alone.

"Hello Jacob. I am glad you are back. Yes, there is coffee of course, let me pour you some," she answered then even as she reached for the coffee pot on the stove.

As for that Arabella crack, she decided to just ignore it. She had not even told Lucinda she was pregnant and thus far it did not really show, well to others. When she was undressed she was definitely noticing that previously flat belly of hers was beginning to expand. Soon enough anyone would notice though.

"Oh, sorry Mam!" Jacob pulled his battered looking hat off his head "Didn't see you there!"

"Yes, this is Mrs. Lucinda Dietrich, widowed. She is helping here in the diner," Clara started on the introductions.

"This here is my husband Jacob Lutz," she smiled at him then glanced to Lucinda, "Admittedly he looked a whole lot more handsome that night at the dance." 

But in truth it had never been about looks, at least not to Clara. She loved him for so much more than that.

• Thanks 1

Lucinda was still smiling at Clara's description of how she'd met Jacob when a dusty man burst in. She really almost dropped a dish this time, but Clara did not seem too flustered, so she calmed down. Apparently this was Clara's husband Jacob. There was something about "little Arabella" that didn't make sense, so she ignored it.

"Hello, Jacob," she said, making sure her hands were dry before offering it to him to shake. On second thought, if he was really as filthy as he'd said, maybe shaking hands wasn't such a good idea. But she'd already put her hand out, and pulling it back now would be more rude than not offering it in the first place.

"I think I can see the handsome underneath all that dust," she said with a smile to Clara. "A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lutz." She glanced back and forth between Clara and her husband, suddenly awkward. What did one do in a situation like this? She'd never been around someone whose husband had just come in dirty from a long trip before.

• Love 1

Lucinda was still smiling at Clara's description of how she'd met Jacob when a dusty man burst in. She really almost dropped a dish this time, but Clara did not seem too flustered, so she calmed down. Apparently this was Clara's husband Jacob. There was something about "little Arabella" that didn't make sense, so she ignored it.

"Hello, Jacob," she said, making sure her hands were dry before offering it to him to shake. On second thought, if he was really as filthy as he'd said, maybe shaking hands wasn't such a good idea. But she'd already put her hand out, and pulling it back now would be more rude than not offering it in the first place.

"I think I can see the handsome underneath all that dust," she said with a smile to Clara. "A pleasure to meet you, Mr. Lutz." She glanced back and forth between Clara and her husband, suddenly awkward. What did one do in a situation like this? She'd never been around someone whose husband had just come in dirty from a long trip before.

Edited by Bailey (see edit history)

"Hello, Jacob," she said, making sure her hands were dry before offering it to him to shake.

Jacob wiped his hand on his coat front, which probably made it more dirty rather than less, and gingerly shook the woman's hand with a slightly embarrassed but respectful sounding "Mrs Dietrich".  Jacob? That was a little familiar wasn't it? Well, he was only seventeen and he was covered in trail-dust: he probably looked like a little kid who had been out playing in the mud. 

"I don't know about handsome" he shook his head shyly "The Indians call me 'Long Nose'" He did have quite the schnozzle. "Just hope our kids get Clara's looks." he complimented his beautiful little wife, and he meant it. 

He felt just as awkward as Lucinda did: having expected to just come in and flop in a corner of the kitchen with a cup of coffee before getting a wash and going to bed for a couple of hours; he'd been riding all night under a pale prairie moon: the safest time to travel with a reputed band of hostiles reported about. 

"You, er, you new in town, Mrs Dietrich?" he asked. Nature abhors a vacuum, and the words were sort of sucked out of him by the uncomfortable silence that materialised between the three of them.

@Wayfarer @Bailey 

Clara appreciated Lucinda's remark about Jacob and then had to wonder if she actually blushed when her husband stated he hoped their kids got her looks. Yes, he had a bit of a long nose and was thin as a rail but Clara thought Jacob quite the catch both looks wise and in the strength plus goodness of his character.

"I just pray our kids are born with good health," Clara gave her take on the matter.

After shaking hands, both Jacob and Lucinda seemed to get awkward, she wasn't sure why? Jacob was normally quite talkative at least in her experience.  But he did say something after a bit of pause.

"You, er, you new in town, Mrs Dietrich?"

Clara already knew the answer to that one but thought it would be better to let the woman handle it.

• Love 1

Clara and Jacob were a sweet couple. Lucinda felt a pang of grief at seeing them so happy together. It was almost like she was intruding on their happiness, which contributed to the awkwardness in the room.

She twisted the towel in her hands as she answered Jacob. "Well, I've been here almost a month now. But I suppose that's still relatively new, so yes." She looked at Clara now, not wanting to intrude any further on the couple's reunion. "I can come back around dinnertime, if you'd like? I've washed enough dishes that you should be fine for a while."

She was just happy to have landed the job, even on a trial basis. It was a step towards finding independence and a way to get back home if she decided on that.

• Love 1

She twisted the towel in her hands as she answered Jacob. "Well, I've been here almost a month now. But I suppose that's still relatively new, so yes."

"Oh!" Jacob and then before he could stop himself "Oh, you're not the lady who dropped all the prayer books in church, are you?!" Jacob might not have seen her before, at least not to notice her, but he'd certainly heard all about her from a certain source. 

He was circumspect enough not to repeat the other thing he'd heard from the same little dickie bird - that 'the strange new lady' had been 'all over' his father-in-law, the much-hunted eligible widower, Aurelian Redmond. 

She looked at Clara now, not wanting to intrude any further on the couple's reunion. "I can come back around dinnertime, if you'd like? I've washed enough dishes that you should be fine for a while."

"Please don't go on my account, Mrs... er, Dietrich, I'm going to have a quick wash and then hit my bed for a couple of hours, I've been on the trail all night." he turned to Clara "Had to go right up to Eureka this time, I was nearly in Canada." he told her.

He had meant, atone time, to get a map and mark on there all the far flung places he took telegrams to, Kalispell being the end of the line as far as Western Union wires went North in this part of the Territory. But most places he went to weren't on any map yet: so fast was the area developing. 

He shook his head, just contemplating how far he'd ridden on this jaunt. "Had to ask some friendlies for directions, Siksika Black Foot."

To be honest, he'd thrown that in to impress Mrs Dietrich a little with the dangers his job entailed, he knew Clara hated to hear about Indians, and especially him having to have dealings with them. 

@Wayfarer @Bailey

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

"Well, I've been here almost a month now. But I suppose that's still relatively new, so yes." Lucinda glanced to Clara,  "I can come back around dinnertime, if you'd like? I've washed enough dishes that you should be fine for a while."

Before Clara could answer, Jacob was faster.

"Please don't go on my account, Mrs... er, Dietrich, I'm going to have a quick wash and then hit my bed for a couple of hours, I've been on the trail all night." he turned to Clara "Had to go right up to Eureka this time, I was nearly in Canada." 

Clara nodded, "Oh, I see."    She didn't frankly but smiled at her beloved before throwing in her own two cents, "Well, if you really must go I shall not keep you..."

She was torn, she wanted to go up with her husband but the diner hours weren't over yet. And if Lucinda left....

"Had to ask some friendlies for directions, Siksika Black Foot," stated Jacob.

Clara hated even hearing about his contacts with Indians, hopefully these were at least mostly friendly. She was truly afraid one day the same Indians that massacred Custer would come upon Jacob and she'd never hear or see him again. And she would be a widow and their child would not have a father. All for a few extra dollars.  She did not agree with Jacob's job choice.

Just then.............

The front door opened and in came none other than Clara's father, Aurelian Redmond wearing a big smile too on catching sight of them.......to be honest on spotting his beloved daughter. The house wasn't the same without her. And to be blunt, his life and Wyatt's too was that much harder.

"Hullo, hope it's alright for me to drop in?" he asked, "I can order something to make it an official visit, favorite daughter of mine."

"Father, it is always good to see you, do not be so silly. Though if you want to spend some money, I have your favorite Dutch apple pie available, " Clara replied.

"That sounds good, I've always got room for Dutch apple pie. Wrap up a slice too to take back to Wyatt or he will be grumpy all night," Aurelian approached in a fine mood apparently.

"Jacob," he acknowledged his son-in-law. He actually had come to like the boy but also shared his daughter's disapproval of the career choice.

But though he had not spoken a word yet to her, Aurelian had indeed noticed the pretty blonde woman with the pair. He well remembered her from their lone meeting that time in church.

"And it is good to see you again, ma'am. You are looking very well I must say," he complimented the lady as he desperately attempt to recall her exact name - Diederich or something....L.....Lucy...no...more elegant...Lucinda...Lucinda Dieter...something.

westrpghusband.png

"Oh, dear. You've heard about that, have you?" Lucinda's cheeks flushed with embarrassment, but she smiled so neither Jacob nor Clara could see how awkward she felt about the event. "Yes, that was me."

She turned around and began stacking the clean, dried plates on the counter to give Clara and Jacob some time to talk, but turned around abruptly at something Jacob said. "Black Foot...as in...Black Foot Indians?" What she'd heard of the Black Foot did not make it sound as if they could have an ounce of friendliness in them, but apparently she was wrong.

There was not much time for Jacob to answer her, because the door opened and in walked none other than Aurelian Redmond. Lucinda's eyes widened, and she smoothed her dress self-consciously, turning back to the counter as Aurelian and Clara greeted each other.

That didn't mean she wasn't listening, and made a mental note that Aurelian liked Dutch apple pie. That would have to be the first thing she learned to make at the diner, if she ever got beyond washing dishes or taking orders.

She turned around as Aurelian actually spoke to her! And...complimented her? Why, she wasn't sure. She wasn't dressed in anything fancy, and was standing in front of a stack of dishes. But he seemed sincere, so she smiled at him.

"Thank you, Mr. Redmond." She remembered, just a minute ago, even though it seemed like a long time that she'd been standing there with Aurelian, that he had mentioned Wyatt. "How is Wyatt?" She went back to stacking plates, and when the last of them was stacked, moved on to arranging the silverware all in one direction, glancing at him from the corner of her eye.

She could have said something slightly flirtatious instead, but maybe asking about Aurelian's son would be more endearing at this point.

• Love 1

"Oh, dear. You've heard about that, have you?" Lucinda's cheeks flushed with embarrassment, but she smiled so neither Jacob nor Clara could see how awkward she felt about the event. "Yes, that was me."

Jacob gave his lazy, shy smile "Sure we heard. It's a small town Mrs Dietrich. I'm just surprised the story didn't make the front page of the of The Union." Indeed, the local paper sometimes had recourse to featuring equally mundane stories: although somehow or other, the skilled editor of the publication had a knack of making them sound both interesting and important. 

Talking of dropping things... 

"Hullo, hope it's alright for me to drop in?" he asked, "I can order something to make it an official visit, favorite daughter of mine."

It was Clara's Pa. Jacob immediately straightened and felt the need to be on his best behaviour. The man had never been anything but friendly and decent toward him, even on the day he had found out the Jacob had put his unmarried daughter in the family way: but Jacob always felt a little 'on trial' in his company.

"Father, it is always good to see you, do not be so silly. Though if you want to spend some money, I have your favorite Dutch apple pie available, " Clara replied.

"That sounds good, I've always got room for Dutch apple pie. Wrap up a slice too to take back to Wyatt or he will be grumpy all night," Aurelian approached in a fine mood apparently.

"Jacob," he acknowledged his son-in-law. He actually had come to like the boy but also shared his daughter's disapproval of the career choice.

He gave Aurelian a respectful nod and greeting "Sir."

But though he had not spoken a word yet to her, Aurelian had indeed noticed the pretty blonde woman with the pair. He well remembered her from their lone meeting that time in church.

"And it is good to see you again, ma'am. You are looking very well I must say," he complimented the lady as he desperately attempt to recall her exact name - Diederich or something....L.....Lucy...no...more elegant...Lucinda...Lucinda Dieter...something.

"Oh er, my sister said to give you her best wishes next time I saw you, Sir." said Jacob, butting in to this little tête-à-tête, suddenly remembering his Lee's express entreaty last time he bumped into her. To be fair, he had no more idea that his sister held a torch for the handsome widower than he had that Mrs Dietrich did. All he knew was that, according to Arabella Mudd, Jemima Wigfall had 'got the vapours real bad' for his father in law. 

@Bailey @Wayfarer

"Thank you, Mr. Redmond," the woman smiled, "How is Wyatt?" She went back to stacking plates, and when the last of them was stacked, moved on to arranging the silverware all in one direction.

She seemed to be quite the worker? He hadn't even realized Clara had hired anyone for the place, wasn't that  Mrs. Pike's decision to make?

"Wyatt is fine. Growing like a weed, thank you for asking," Aurelian smiled.

"Oh er, my sister said to give you her best wishes next time I saw you, Sir." said Jacob.

"Certainly,  the same to her then," Aurelian nodded.

Then he returned his focus on Lucinda, "I hope you're getting paid by Clara for all of your work? Either that or you are the best customer any business could ever have."

"Since you are being nosey, I have taken on Mrs. Dietrich for some temporary work and it might well turn into a more steady employment," Clara explained.

"Well, all I can say, ma'am, is you have a hard taskmaster to work for, my Clara," he grinned.

"Keep that up, father dearest, and there will not be any Dutch apple pie for you," Clara responded deadpan.

more-Clara03.gif

Aurelian only laughed.

• Love 1

Lucinda continued aimlessly tidying things, listening to Jacob and Clara and Aurelian. When Aurelian spoke to her about getting paid for her work, she glanced back and smiled, but let Clara answer. And now that Aurelian and Clara were joking - yes, the solemn Clara was joking with her father! - Lucinda decided that a little flirting might not be amiss.

Or, at the very least, some return humor.

"After wintering alone, washing dishes seems easy," she said with a smile. Even though wintering alone had been a result of Francis's death, she had survived, and had grown from the experience. Not so much that she'd ever want to spend another lonely homestead winter, but enough that washing dishes felt like nothing.

She waited for an opening in the light-hearted conversation and then jumped in.

"Oh, dear. No Dutch apple pie for Mr. Redmond?" She grinned at Aurelian. "Whatever will you do? I'm sure no one else in town can make a pie to rival Clara's...except Mrs. Pike, and she's out of town."

• Love 1

"After wintering alone, washing dishes seems easy," she said with a smile. Even though wintering alone had been a result of Francis's death, she had survived, and had grown from the experience. Not so much that she'd ever want to spend another lonely homestead winter, but enough that washing dishes felt like nothing.

She waited for an opening in the light-hearted conversation and then jumped in.

"Oh, dear. No Dutch apple pie for Mr. Redmond?" She grinned at Aurelian. "Whatever will you do? I'm sure no one else in town can make a pie to rival Clara's...except Mrs. Pike, and she's out of town."

Jacob witnessed this... what? Flirting?! With a distaste that almost made his lip curl: they were older than Clara and himself by far, it just seemed, well, sort of distasteful! He caught Clara's eye and gave her a 'what the heck's going on?!!' look. What would be next - Amos Conroy and Granny Miggins necking in the street. He felt like a gooseberry. Well, this prayerbook-dropping Mrs Dietrich seemed to be doing all the running so far: he waited to see if his ancient Father-in-law Mr Redmond would give this mushy stuff the short shrift it deserved or turn out to be a masher, too.

"After wintering alone, washing dishes seems easy," the woman said with a smile.

Aurelian nodded sympathetically, "Wintering in Montana is never easy."

He then engaged  his daughter in a bit of light hearted banter. Frankly Aurelian was quietly amazed at the growth in Clara in just these past months.  The girl of even a year ago had not  been one to be light hearted about pretty much anything. Lucinda jumped right in now too.

Aurelian gave a diffident shrug, "I will survive. Who knows I might have to search for another source of pies? Or just wait for Mrs. Pike's return. Speaking of her, when is she and her husband supposed to return? It's been quite some time has it not?"

Clara nodded, "It has been longer than I expected, true, but they had big plans I suppose."

Clara had also caught the look Jacob gave her and was not sure what that was all about? Was something bothering him? She would soon find out.

"Father, I will let Mrs. Dietrich cut you a slice of pie and then perhaps you can keep her company while I go upstairs a while with my husband?" she requested.

Aurelian nodded, "That is a hard task you are giving me, daughter of mine. Eating apple pie while chatting with this fine lady here. But I will do it for you."

Clara just dramatically rolled her eyes then took Jacob by the arm and shepherded him up the stairs.

Aurelian waited until the young people were upstairs then smiled at Lucinda,  "Seems you have decided to stay in Kalispell then?  Good choice, it's a decent place to live. Good people...terrible winters...but good people."

• Love 1

Lucinda watched the banter between Clara and Aurelian with a smile, inwardly rejoicing at the thought of being alone with Aurelian, but also having misgivings. Was it right to flirt with her employer's father?

The moment came when Jacob and Clara left arm in arm and the two older adults were left together. Aurelian asked if she had decided to stay in Kalispell, and she had to answer in a way that made sense.

"I'm staying for the time being," she clarified. "My intent was to go back east, but now..."

She looked away, not sure how to talk about what had changed her mind. It wasn't just meeting Aurelian. It was something about realizing that if she went back, she'd be dependent on her family again. She'd longed for that all winter. And now she wasn't sure if she wanted that.

"Now I think I might stay. Everyone here has been so kind to me. Like you said, good people."

She went over to the pie plate and uncovered it, glancing back at him. "You said a slice for you, and a slice for Wyatt, didn't you?"

She knew very well what he'd said, because everything he said seemed to be magnified in volume so that if there had been five people talking at once, she'd have been able to focus on Aurelian's words, and only Aurelian's words.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The moment came when Jacob and Clara left arm in arm and the two older adults were left together. 

Or, in another universe, Jacob was manhandled toward the door to the stairs and dragged up by Clara without a by-your-leave. "What's going on?" he whispered urgently on the stairs. 

"Isn't it a little rude to leave poor Mrs Dietrich to talk to your Pa all on her own?" he asked, innocently. The notion that Mr Redmond was a little taciturn in his conversational habits was implicit in this question.

"At least they're old, so they can't get up to anything!" he joked, the very idea being quite absurd to him.

"I'm staying for the time being," Lucinda clarified. "My intent was to go back east, but now..."

But then she paused and looked away. Deep in thought about something, Aurelian figured and let her take her time. Unlike some folks (Arabella cough cough) he was as much a quiet listener as a talker.

"Now I think I might stay. Everyone here has been so kind to me. Like you said, good people."

"Wise decision I think. This community is growing too all the time and more and more we will begin to have much of what cities now have. What do they say? Civilization is relentless. For good and bad,"  opined the man.

She went over to the pie plate and uncovered it, glancing back at him. "You said a slice for you, and a slice for Wyatt, didn't you?"

"Yes ma'am, if you please. Wyatt will be most grateful," he smiled.

"Once Clara got hitched all of a sudden, I lost my in house baker so I have to come and pick up treats," he explained his presence.  Well, plus he got to see his beloved daughter.

• Love 1

ooc: She did not manhandle him up to the room, lol.

IC:

"What's going on?" he whispered urgently on the stairs. 

"Nothing, can I  not have some private time with my favorite husband?" Clara retorted.

"Isn't it a little rude to leave poor Mrs Dietrich to talk to your Pa all on her own?" he asked, innocently.

"Nonsense, my father is quite socially capable ....when he wants to be," Clara frowned as the pair entered the apartment and then she shut the door behind them.

"At least they're old, so they can't get up to anything!" he joked.

Serious Clara took him quite literally though, "He is not old...she is perhaps even a bit younger than my father. And they are both God fearing Christian folk................unlike us two hypocrite sinners."

Yes, they had went at it like rabbits their first real time of privacy - which was wrong. And sinful. And led to all sorts of consequences. And............well, she would do it again if somehow they could go back in time with a second chance. She loved Jacob with all her heart.

• Love 1

"Nothing, can I  not have some private time with my favorite husband?" Clara retorted.

"No, not us, themIsn't it a little rude to leave poor Mrs Dietrich to talk to your Pa all on her own?" he asked, innocently.

"Nonsense, my father is quite socially capable ....when he wants to be," Clara frowned as the pair entered the apartment and then she shut the door behind them.

"And does he wanna be... with her? Mrs... Lady?" he asked, amazed "At least they're old, so they can't get up to anything!" he joked.

Serious Clara took him quite literally though, "He is not old...she is perhaps even a bit younger than my father. And they are both God fearing Christian folk................unlike us two hypocrite sinners."

"Hey, I happen to like being a hypocrite sinner!" he countered smiling, but then he looked a little more serious. "No, I mean..." he glanced into her beautiful brown eyes. His were hard an blue, almost mean looking in some ways: but there was a soft heart behind them. "... well, doesn't it bother you? If... what if they got married? I know what the memory of your Mother means to you." 

In some ways he was 'lucky' - he didn't have to worry about his mother remarrying, or his Father. They were both dead. 

@Wayfarer

• Like 1

"Hey, I happen to like being a hypocrite sinner!" he countered smiling, but then he looked a little more serious.

"Well, you were a good one that day," Clara countered meaning it as a joke but there was a certain truth to it too. And had been just as bad.

"No, I mean..." he glanced into her beautiful brown eyes. His were hard an blue, almost mean looking in some ways: but there was a soft heart behind them. "... well, doesn't it bother you? If... what if they got married? I know what the memory of your Mother means to you." 

"Bother me? Of course not. I expected my father to respect my wishes about you when we wanted to get married. I should now respect his desires on the matter. So if they get married, it will be because my father wants to marry her......and obviously....she agrees also. It does not change my love for my mother. But look at it this way, I am certain my mother wants him to be happy, life goes on," countered Clara.

"However you are assuming a lot. They are just chatting, a far cry from father proposing," she also pointed out.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Lucinda nodded as Aurelian gave his opinion on how Kalispell and the surrounding areas would change in the near future. "Pardon my saying so, but I think it's mostly good. This country could do with a little more civilization."

She left it at that, not wanting to seem too finicky and spoiled, and moved on to Aurelian's comments on Clara's marriage and the hardships he had to go through to get baked goods. "I'm sure your visits mean as much to her as they do to you," she said with a smile. It was clear that both father and daughter thought very highly of each other. 

She cut two pieces of pie from the pan - not too large, but not tiny slivers either - and wrapped one up for Aurelian to take back to Wyatt. The other one she left in the pan as she looked over at Aurelian again.

"Shall I wrap this one up for you, or would you like to eat it here? I'm sure Clara will be down in a few minutes if you'd like to eat while you wait." Her eyes darted up towards the ceiling where Clara and Jacob had disappeared.

To tell the truth, she wasn't sure if Clara would be down right away. Jacob had just gotten home from a trip, and he and Clara were newly married. What if the young couple decided they wanted to...well...have sex right then and there since they'd been apart for so long? Her cheeks flushed at the thought.

Edited by Bailey (see edit history)
  • Made Me Laugh! 1

"Pardon my saying so, but I think it's mostly good. This country could do with a little more civilization," the lady offered.

"Oh I most definitely think you are right," Aurelian replied with a nod.

"I'm sure your visits mean as much to her as they do to you," she said with a smile.

"I believe so, well at least I certainly hope so. But Clara has a new man in her life now and well....that's the way it is supposed to be," he shrugged then watched her cut up the pie. It looked mouth watering alright, he was indeed hungry.

"Shall I wrap this one up for you, or would you like to eat it here? I'm sure Clara will be down in a few minutes if you'd like to eat while you wait," Lucinda gave him options.

Aurelian only gave her a mischievous smile, "I'm not so sure she will be hurrying back down. My daughter is a hard worker, as I am sure you will find out soon enough if you haven't already but........she is human."

"Oh, I'm sorry, I hope I am not slipping the bonds of decency with such insinuations. We can change the subject."

Posted (edited)

"However you are assuming a lot. They are just chatting, a far cry from father proposing," she also pointed out.

He seemed to glaze over, then shook his head "Sorry, I... what? Oh yeah, proposing to your.. sorry, I just have to stop and look at you sometimes, remind myself this is real. You're so beautiful... I can believe when I'm out there, all alone on the plains, in the forests. I know we're.... we're together. But when I'm here and I get to hold you and kiss you and sleep beside you, it's almost overwhelming." he babbled as he took her in his arms: muddy and smelly as he was. 

He slipped one hand up her back (and, to be fair the other one slid down) and held her close, although his was always mindful of 'the bump' - 'little Arabella'. He kissed her lips then, feeling as thrilled by it as the first night that they had met and he had been allowed to kiss her hand.

He was just about to move his hand round to cup her breast when a horrible thought crossed his mind.

"Hell, they probably think we're 'doing it' up here!" he said.

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

It turned out that Aurelian's mind was working the same way Lucinda's was, and he wasn't afraid to voice his opinion on what his son-in-law and daughter might be doing upstairs.

Lucinda returned Aurelian's mischievous grin, although her cheeks were flushed slightly. "You haven't said anything I wasn't thinking. I'm not sure it would be considered decent, but..." she looked around the kitchen and then shrugged. "No one else is around to tell us it's indecent!"

She put a fork on the saucer and pushed the piece of pie toward him. "Here. Whatever happens, you should eat your pie." She poked her head out into the empty diner and glanced back at him, her eyes dancing a bit.

"In fact...why don't we sit down out here?" She beckoned him out of the kitchen. Clara wouldn't mind, would she? There was no one else in the diner and the dishes were done. She and Aurelian could have a nice grownup conversation while Clara and Jacob had a nice grownup time in their room.

"Tell me about your farm," she said as she sat down at a table. "Do you raise crops, or cattle?"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The two engaged in knowing smiles, both well aware of what was probably going to or had already begun to happen upstairs. Nothing wrong with it, Clara and Jacob were married. Aurelian would have wished for a whole lot more self control from the young pair earlier but what was done was done. Clara was happy, Jacob seemed to be trying to be a good husband.

"You haven't said anything I wasn't thinking. I'm not sure it would be considered decent, but..." she looked around the kitchen and then shrugged. "No one else is around to tell us it's indecent!"

"Well, both of us were married, we know what goes on. As far as telling us anything, people can just mind their own business I say," he smiled, eying that pie slice.

She must have noticed where his eyes had traveled.

"Here. Whatever happens, you should eat your pie." She poked her head out into the empty diner and glanced back at him, her eyes dancing a bit.

"Well, I suppose as long as you are twisting my arm, I shall reluctantly obey," he grinned

"In fact...why don't we sit down out here?"

"Why don't we," he promptly sat and then picked up the fork to cut into the slice.

"Tell me about your farm," she said as she sat down at a table. "Do you raise crops, or cattle?"

"Well, it's a farm, so it's crops. I got a milk cow and that's it. It's not a lot of acreage but I got it at a cheap price, a good deal for certain. The soil is good. Plenty of water, there is even a lake on the back edge of the property. My kids like it for swimming   (And other things it seemed with Clara)."

"That's the good. Most things come with the bad though too don't they," he shrugged then paused to eat a big bite before continuing, "It is sandwiched right between the two biggest ranches in the county - Evergreen and Lost Lake. Luckily I get along with the owners of Lost Lake. Evergreen...well, the man who owns that is hard for anyone to get along with. I know he wants my property. He hasn't come with an offer though....yet. Not that I'm looking for one. I'd rather not start over.......yet again. We originally came from Pennsylvania where I had a farm but well..........things didn't work out there. My wife convinced me to go west and start over. One 'start over' is enough for me."

@Bailey

• Like 1