• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• "Ain't hardly nothin' to do but hunker down till she blows herself out." The man squatted, "Rance, is the name. Been watchin' you, doin' a fine job. You'll do Wheeler, you'll do. Try and get some rest, might end up bein' a long night. Least you won't be ridin' drag come daylight, there's a plus for ya."   He stood and made his way to his shelter to await the grub that was coming.   @Bongo
    • Meanwhile, in the main house, Reb Culverson was visiting with his old friend Fightin' Joe Hooker, who was the ramrod for the fledgling Montana Territory Stockgrowers Association, Northern District. He was there to convince ranchers to join and support the organization, hoping it would take root.   "And just what good is this here association ya got started?" Reb asked.   "It'll give us a voice in the territorial government, Reb, that's what it'll do. Once that happens we'll be able to git us some sortta range police to protect the herds, and the ranchers." Hooker responded. "Rustlin' might not be the threat it was, but you know as well as me, it can come back."   "You get anywhere with Lost Lake, 'er that cow thief on the Evergreen?" Reb asked.   "Can't say as I have, startin' with the smaller spreads an' workin' my way up to them two. I'm well aware of both spreads, and the men that own 'em."   -------------0------------   They swept down out of the trees whooping and hollering and firing off a couple of shots as they closed on both sides of a big group of cattle, just as they had planned. The  lone night hawk knew he had no chance of stopping the raiders, or of saving the cattle while he watched the chunk of the herd moving toward and then into the trees at a run.  He emptied his Colt at the raiders, the whipped out his Winchester  and levered several shots in the area where they had disappeared.   He could not know that one of his shots had found its mark. A man that had just joined took a slug in his back and toppled from his horse. Toole and the men continued to drive the cattle toward the dry riverbed as planned. It was an acceptable loss.   The sound of the shots, mere pops at the distance to the main house and the bunk house alerted everyone, and men boiled out of the bunk house guns in hand, only to watch the night man shooting after the rustlers.
    • Out on the boardwalk they stopped, "So we managed ta git a deal right off, thet's good, it is. Now all we gotta do is convince ol' Wentworth to free up the money so's ya don't have ta use yers right off." Amos commented, "Seems a fair deal but like you say, minin's not no sure thing."   "John and Mary are good folks. It's not a sure thing, but you saw the vein, went to the floor and it looks rich," Speed responded. "And it looks to be wider where they stopped digging. I can't wait to get it assayed to see what we've really got our hands on."   "And it should assay out pretty good from the looks of it, though I know so little about copper ore." Alice admitted.   "Well, you saw the copper ore, which is clearly distinguishable from the surrounding rock due to its reddish, mottled appearance. And that surrounding rock is granite which is not easy to work, but it can be done, and, if we have hit it, the veins could be as much as a mile long, a mile wide, and a mile deep!" Speed explained with a grin. "With that equipment we'll be able to not only dig deeper, we'll be able to tunnel, and we have the property to do just that."   "Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!" Amos exclaimed. Might oughtta buy up what ground ya can aound 'er, jest ta be certain!"   "First things first, let get on up to the bank." Speed suggested.
    • Justus was more than happy to have a chance to get out of the bulk of the wind, although he knew this was far from over.  And he knew they'd be hacking up dirt for days.     With the picket lines set, he moved over to help put up the shelters for the night, pretty quickly deciding that it was a fool's errand...they were all going to be miserable until this let up.   Squinting, he looked out toward the herd, not able to see but a few in the dust, it looked like they had been swallowed by the big, dirty cloud, and weren't even there.  In fact, he had the eerie sensation that all that was left in the world was this small circle of men and horses.   "Ya need me ta do anythin' else?" he called over the din of the wind.   @Flip
    • Doc Gilcrest walked into the bunck house to see Carson on his feet, dressed. "I may not be able to ride, but I can darn sure walk some. Tired of layin' in that bed."   "I reckon you kin do thet, sure 'nough. No body said ya had ta lie there if'n ya didn't want to. Yer stitched up plenty good. Jest leave thet hog leg where she's hangin' fer now, don't need the weight in thet wound."   "So anybody come sniffin' around?" He asked.   "Not so's you'd notice. There's four men down there keepin' watch, but it don't look like Lost Lake's lost any sleep over their man, that is if'n they even know he's gone." Gilcrest offered.   "He seen that brand an' went ta shootin'!" Carson reflected. "I jest shot straighter. Had no choice in the matter. Fool could'a rode on, but, well, that just ain't what happened. Hell of a mess."   "Oh I dunno. So far nobodies come huntin', the boss ain't upset over it, neither's Granger, so you got nothin' ta worry on 'cept gettin' better."   "I should'a been more careful, but maybe there just wasn't no way to be more careful. Up on the side of that mountain is the purdiest view a man could look at. You can see fer miles, see right where they got them cows of theirs. Now that ain't gonna be no easy matter to get to any of 'em. They're deep on Lost Lake range. Gonna be hard to get at, an' worse to get out. We'll lose some men tryin' this one, that's for sure!'   Gilcrest rubbed his chin. It wasn't like Carson to go on about the prospects of a job.

Another New Start

Mature Content: No

With: Sarah Thornton-Carlton
When: Early-Mid July 1876

content-divider.png

Sarah looked at the front of the building where the Kalispell Union was located.  She had made up her mind to try her luck here first.  Well, to be honest, it was the only place to try, there were no other writing establishments in town.

Having decided to leave the Thornton ranch had been easy.  She had lived there since her arrival in town at the end of last year and had taken on the job of looking after the children of her cousin Chance.  Now, that Shade had found another governess for the children, it was time to leave.  Income wasn't a problem as she still had her savings as well as a job writing articles for some eastern ladies' magazines but she felt the need to do something.  A life of idle wasn't for her.

There was no clue on how the owner and editor of the newspaper would take her offer.  She had meet him only a few times, but she was prepared to work for free if that was what it took to get a position.

Going up the front door, she opened it and walked in.

@Flip

Phinn was setting type, Tommy Lane, his printers devil and all around helper was in school where he belonged, and where Phinn insisted he be.  He enjoyed fishing out the letters as he set up the page. It was a slow process, but his heart was set on the new Linotype type setting machine which would, of course, speed up matters much like the type writer had in '68, he had used them, became proficient at it, but never owned one.

Just as he finished the column the door opened and he looked away from the type case to see a woman entering. He stood, wiping his hands on his printers apron and stepping away from the job at hand.

"Good morning, what can I do for you?" He asked, smiling at the woman and her striking good looks as well as her style which spoke of big city life. He knew he had seen her before, but for the moment, could not remember when or where.

@JulieS

Sarah stepped up to the counter, "Good morning, Mr. McVay.  I don't know if remember me or not but my name is Sarah Thornton-Carlton."

She held her hand and as she waited for his response, she tried to work out what sort of man he was.

However, she didn't have much before she got a response.  Not one to dilly-dally, she spoke again, "I don't know how to say this, so I'll just come right out...I was wondering if you have ever entertained the idea of hiring a woman as a reporter for your newspaper?"

@Flip

Sarah stepped up to the counter, "Good morning, Mr. McVay.  I don't know if remember me or not but my name is Sarah Thornton-Carlton."

"I do, it has been some time Miss Thornton-Carlton, but yes, I remember you." Phinn said with a smile.

She held her hand and as she waited for his response, she tried to work out what sort of man he was.

He shook her hand  and asked pleasantly, "And how might I help you?" Perhaps a printing job for the Lost Lake Ranch, or the Thorton's themselves.

However, she didn't have much before she got a response.  Not one to dilly-dally, she spoke again, "I don't know how to say this, so I'll just come right out...I was wondering if you have ever entertained the idea of hiring a woman as a reporter for your newspaper?"

"Well, I'd say that you said that well enough, Ma'am." He responded. "Now, some out here might say that they'd never heard of such a thing as a woman reporter, that would be because they were unaware of Anne Newport Royall, the first female journalist in the United States, the first woman to interview a president, be a publisher and editor for Paul Pry, the 30's and The Huntress from 1836 to 18 54 in Washington, D.C., had the pleasure of meeting her once."

He grinned, "Now as for a reporter, well, women worked as publishers, printers, typesetters, journalists, and carved wooden engravings for illustrations. I'm sure you'll agree that journalists are reporters, however, Kalispell is small, not much news to cover, but yes, I could use your expertise and I could pay you, say eight dollars a week, to begin." The offer would make things tight for McVay, but he hoped that with her involvement the subscription and advertising would increase, and together, they would earn more money.

@JulieS

Sarah smiled.  This was easier than she thought it was going to be.  The fact that he seemed eager to have her work for him came as a surprise.  She had half-expected the man to object or say something about a woman's place was in the home.

"Thank you, Mr. McVay for being open to my offer of work. I hope your faith in my abilities will be both rewarding to you and your readers."

She looked around the office for a moment, before going on, "I suppose we'd better work out the particulars in regards to my employment and what exactly would like me to write about."

@Flip

"Write? Madam, you are the reporter, write the news of the area, write what interests you, let us find out together what the people want from this paper." He said. "As a matter of fact, I am headed over to a pugilistic event at Simkins Barn, so perhaps we should get started or we'll miss it." He said.

"Your impression of the event I believe will be widely read by the women of Kalispell, and a grand beginning of your employment at the Union. He added, "Whatta you say, Miss Thornton-Carlton?" He smiled as he got to his feet. "This is supposed to be quite the event, I'm told. They have bragged that folks will be coming from miles around for the entertainment." He slipped on his coat, took up his hat and opened the door. "After you."

@JulieS

• 2 months later...

News has been sparse, the fight of course, would be the highlight, but it had been predictable. The crowd felt cheated by it, yet there would be no use harping on the  fraud that had been perpetrated on the attendees. Suffice to say the Deputy was beaten, but would still be serviceable to the Marshal, and his community. 

A poor choice, and how he had been coerced into such a one sided affair escaped the editor. He, of course, would make mention of the fight and it's results. Then there was he shootings committed by Caleb Barnes and his subsequent end. Sad how the boy went bad, not an unheard of story. Then too, Frank Grimes untimely death when he thought to outdraw a man in the Stardust saloon only to be gunned down himself.

Not an uneventful time, but other than the fight it seemed to be more of the same. It wouldn't be long before a chapter of the 'Pure Prairie League' would pop up and demand the place be closed, that laws be passed regarding drunkenness, followed closely by the outlawing of firearms within town limits. He wondered if reporting these things would only fire up those who would force their will on the rest.

The taming of Kalispell.

• JulieS locked this topic