Stormwolfe

[Episode] The Bear

Posted (edited)

Summary

A massive killer Grizzly has taken up residence in and around Kalispell and Lost Lake Ranch. The story was inspired by the movie Night of the Grizzly, starring Clint Walker. This one is just for fun. The Old West version of a creature feature.

satan2.jpgMany years ago, a Canadian traveling circus went belly up in the Flathead Lake region of the Montana territory. One of their animals escaped. The escapee was a Kodiak bear (aka Alaskan Brown Bear, Kodiak Brown Bear). The bear had been made mean from years of abuse and had all but lost all fear of man. The one thing that remained was the bear's hatred of man. In the past, a massive Grizzly had been known to raid ranches and occasionally kill people. At some point, the bear had lost his left eye hence being given the name Old One-Eye. The bear appears to be more intelligent, crafty and cunning than other bears. However, some of this is legend and some  is simply because he has had more exposure to humans.

As fall approaches, One-Eye once again returns to the area. He is much older now and prefers easy prey. As more people are threatened or killed, it becomes necessary to try to find and eliminate the marauder. As strangers and locals vie for a hefty bounty, causing mayhem, the bear continues to impact people's lives.

One-Eye's Stats (see Kodiak Bear on wikipedia)

Weight: 1410 lbs.

Height: 5' (at the shoulder), 9.8 ft. (upright)

Personality: One-Eye does not fear humans or human interaction like most bears. He also has an unnatural hatred of humans. He recognizes and is wary of guns, but only actually fears fire (he lost his eye to a human wielding a fiery torch). He is an animal. Therefore, he does not hunt for pleasure or kill for revenge although to many it seems that way. In captivity, he learned that humans were to be feared and hated but they also meant easy food. After escaping, he learned that ranches and farms usually offer easy pickings.

Theme
The marauding Kodiak is just one aspect of the story. As it unfolds, various characters should encounter and deal with their own personal bears. What obstacles does your character need to overcome, which of their goals parallels the hunting and killing of the bear?

Additionally, various characters can encounter or be directly impacted by One-Eye's rampage.

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)

The plot summary for The Bear has been updated and is ready for discussion and feedback. Please read it over and reply to the topic with additional ideas or suggestions, or drop into group chat on Discord. Note: I am not going to post discussions, ideas, suggestions, and feedback for you.

This will be our next episode plot. Of course, smaller character plots can and will be woven into the story. This is necessary since not every played character can be in on the final hunt and killing of the bear. However, everyone can have various levels of encounters with the actual bear and work through their own personal bears.

Sounds like fun.  I would volunteer the Redmond homestead to get a visit by our ursine friend  (I actually love Bears XD). Helps set up the terror and I'm then thinking Aurelian would go along on the hunt.

Wayfarer,

Thank you for your response! This helps me start planning action. Definitely need Old One-Eye to visit the homestead.

I actually love bears too and was totally fascinated by the prehistoric short-faced bear. This meant I was not quite happy with making the bear a bad guy without a good reason. Our friend from HoTW suggested the bear having a past with humans that had turned him psycho. Once the planning is done and the story starts, I will have to give Nox credit for One-Eye's reasons for hating people.

A third man would be of great benefit on the hunt since for Cattle Drive I need to have Shade slightly injured. Nothing major, just enough to keep him at the ranch.

One thing people will have to keep in mind is the sheer monster size of this thing. Even men who may have encountered bears in the wild before will not be prepared for this thing's size. Most normal rifles of this time period would not penetrate deep enough to hit vital organs and black powder cartridges don't generate enough velocity and power to seriously damage something built as thick as he will be. Killing it will be very hard.

• Love 1

Well, look at us! Actually discussing an upcoming plotline! Go, y'all!

@Longshot  Great point regarding the weapons. We'll likely have to provide some suitable killing power from the Lost Lake Ranch arsenal. When you have time, look up some images and specs and post them here.

Adding images to posts... works for in-game posts too!

1. Upload an image via attachments at the bottom of the posting window. You can also drag and drop.
  2. Make sure your cursor is where you want the image to appear in the post.
  3. Click on the image to add it.
  4. Double click on the image to resize it, add links, or choose left or right text alignment. Leave the URL field blank for the image to simply link to and open the full-size.
  5. Please resize images to around 500 to 550 max width in posts.

Thanks for your input!

image.png.9af789cbc2318ab1687ca59ebc010dab.png

Introduced in 1872 by The Sharps Rifle Company, .50-90 caliber was created to reliably kill buffalo with a single shot. That should do fine for a bear that big...the problem being that weight and barrel length will be a problem if it has managed to get to close quarters.

Edited by Quentin Cantrell (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Well, here we are starting our 3rd episode here at Sagas of the Wild West! Can you believe it! Go us!

Two posts have been moved from the end of episode 2 and will be designated flashbacks - not way back, just a matter of a few days or a week prior to the beginning of The Bear. If you have narrative solos you would like to do for the ending of The Legacy, let me know! I will be writing a final solo post for Shade.

The Bear's Timeframe

The episode will take place throughout the month of August 1875. As always, read the posts as some may contain events that everyone in the immediate area would know had happened via gossip or the local newspaper. The Kalispell Glacier would cover all major happenings and fill in with gossip columns when news is slow.

Opening Scenes

The first scene or two will lead up to the the episode's opening site-wide event - The Founder's Day Celebration (proposed by @Wayfarer)! Kalispell was formally incorporated on August 1, 1872. Each year, the town throws a 4th of July type of celebration on the weekend of the first (or the weekend before the 1st). The town holds various events including a rodeo, horse race, shooting contests, etc. At the end of the day there is an open dance sponsored by various prominent families (they usually take turns). This year, the dance will be held on Drover's Meadow (just inside the gates to Lost Lake Ranch). You can view the map HERE.

Opening Timeline

Thursday, July 29 - Friday, July 30: Scenes leading up to the celebration. You may also just designate the date as Prior to July 31, 1875.

Saturday, July 31: Founder's Day Celebration: We will set up a scene for the daytime events and one for the dance. You are, of course, also welcome to set up your own scenes. Just designate them by Time of Day so that anyone reading knows basically what is happening when.

Everyone is welcome to suggest JPs within each scene. The goal is to have fun before our friend The Bear pours ice water on the party!

Okay, y'all, pony up and claim a spot. If there were more of us, we'd go with the element of surprise, but that's just not feasible with so few. Our Founder's Day celebration is loosely based on events traditionally held on the 4th of July. However, if you have a period relevant event you want added for your character, feel free! The list in this post is not carved in stone.

Historical Note:  Early rodeo-like affairs of the 1820s and 1830s were informal events in the western United States and northern Mexico with cowboys and vaqueros testing their work skills against one another. Following the American Civil War, rodeo competitions emerged, with the first held in Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1872.

Rodeo Events: Calf-roping, cutting horse competition, bull riding (probably not a thing yet, but will be fun), bucking bronc riding, horse race and from McLintock the Egg Race.

Fair Events: Cattle show, horse show, garden show, canning contest, baking contests (cakes, pies, anything else), quilts - if it is era appropriate, we can add events from county / state fairs also.

Posted (edited)

Shade Thornton:  I would like to claim a rodeo event or two, one of the horse races for Shade to win. He's a really fast runner too so maybe place in the foot race?

Harriet: Win or place in the harness horse competition.

Hannah: Win or place in archery competition, maybe shooting competition. She might even give the boys a literal run for their money in the foot races!

My other characters can participate if requested. Win, place, or show in any of the competitions is good. I am not wedded to winning.

@Administrators  and  @Players

Posted (edited)

None of my people are horse or cattle people so none of them will be participating in any of that.

Clara will probably enter a baking contest but only if she can have her entry back if she doesn't win, it seems like such an extravagant waste when the family's food supplies are so low.

I had no idea they had foot races for men? Interesting..........  Robert is lean and young, long legs, good build for running, he could enter that.

They should have potato sack races or can't think of what they called it but in school we had a guy and a girl who had their one leg tied together and then had to run in teamwork. It was hilarious.

Wait think it was called three-legged race?

Edited by Wayfarer (see edit history)

We called them two-legged races.

In reality, I have no idea if there were foot races back in the day but it seemed doable and probably fun!

Re: Clara's baking - she could have it back or send it to the pot-luck. Figured there might even be a baked goods auction. Plenty of options.

Quentin's expertise is hardly good for the games, unless there's a draw competition. He's a fine rifle shot, but I would think there are men who are better pure shots than him. If there's some kind of revolver contest he might be good. The only other thing would be if there was some kind of...prizefighting? the early kind with a ring and gloves? I know it existed back then. Up for suggestions.

@Longshot   I think we discussed this in Discord, but prizefighting in 1875 was still bare knuckled fighting. Still, we could have the contestants wrap their hands with strips of cloth to soften the blows and have really strict rules like one minute rounds, that sort of thing.

Also, again brought up in Discord but can't remember when - how about things like horseshoes?

He can also ride with Harriet during the buggy race. LOL.  And cheer other Lost Lake contestants on, wrangle the twins, etc. We'll keep Mr. Q. busy.

A Fair to Remember is the title of our Founder's Day Celebration scene - thread. I will get the storyteller post that sets up the day and the scene written soon although it might not be today.

There's so few of us actively writing, please consider helping one another out with NPCs if needed. Everyone, if you need NPC help - ask. We can't read each others' minds. We're wild west, not X-Men. :D

Each event should take place in its own post in the scene. We're not going to sweat the order of things very much. We'll just open posts as and when needed. The goal is to have good fun event!

May the best man win!

Will there be competitions like marksmanship and knife throwing?  If the area has lumber as a business, there could also be a host of things related to that. 

Certainly some sort of target shooting I imagine. Not sure if they ever did much knife throwing, except at people in dire necessity, XD.

Posted (edited)

Yes! We can have marksmanship competitions (makes me sad Hunter won't be there yet). There is a moderate timber industry although Lost Lake Ranch (the Thorntons' place) does not allow wholesale timbering on their land.

Good ideas!

A Fair to Remember is open and ready for our posts.

I have thought and thought about how to manage adding the various events. Rather than hold anyone up that's ready to post, let's try to remember to put an additional item at the beginning of our posts - time of day (i.e. early morning, late morning, afternoon, etc.).

We won't wait for all morning events to play out before posting afternoon events and so on. Just pay attention to when each post is taking place within the overall scene. 

When we've started slowing down on people mixing, mingling, and competing - we'll launch the brawl which will end the day's events. We'll open a separate scene for the dance.

If anyone has a better idea - give me a shout via this thread or on Discord. If people need help with NPCs, post here. We'll all try to pitch in and help out.

I know you guys will prod me if I've missed anything.

@Players

Good Day Everyone,

We are still setting our scenes on Saturday, July 31, 1875 (Founders Day Celebration). However, so as not to bog things down badly, we are not demanding they be added in strict chronological order. Just make sure to add the time of day to the beginning of your post.

If possible, let's keep writing the actual events (races, contests, etc.) in A Fair to Remember as joint posts. If you think the event your character is participating in will be better written as a multiple post scene, then just open a new scene and make the title the event. For example, Founders Day Horse Race. If the event won't require more than three posts, you won't need to open a new scene. Clear as mud? Just ask me if you're not sure.

Again, you do not have to wait for us to finish one event to start writing another one.

Later today, I will go through this thread and create a list of events that have been suggested. All you need to do to suggest an event or to sign your character up for one that's already been suggested is reply to this topic with the details.

If you have any questions at all about the fair, please ask.

@Administrators

@Players

Posted (edited)

EVENT PARTICIPANTS

Hey Y'all!

If interested in joining any of these events, please give me a shout on Discord or reply here (easiest since I can just come here and read) ...

Horse Race: Shade, Addy

Foot Race: Shade, Robert

Pie-Eating: Duke, Addy, Silas

Bare-Knuckle Boxing: Robert, Quentin

Three-Legged Race: Shade/Clara, Quentin/Harriet, Addy/Robert, an NPC couple.

There will also be a late afternoon brawl and then the dance.

Results of the Three-Legged Race

*It is also pinned in the Discord Plotting-Planning Channel

Roll for the Win

Wayfarer-Today at 11:46 AM

sure - 1-2 Shade/Clara 3-4 Addy/Robert 5-6 Quentin Harriet

33% chance for each team

Stormwolfe-Today at 11:48 AM

t!roll d6

DellaBOT-Today at 11:48 AM

Rolling Dice!

[d6 : 4] In the end, the result was: 4

Wayfarer-Today at 11:48 AM

Addy/Robert win!

Roll for 2nd Place

Wayfarer-Today at 11:50 AM

D6 1-3 Shade/Clara 4-6 Harriet/Quentin

Stormwolfe-Today at 11:50 AM

t!roll d6

DellaBOT-Today at 11:50 AM

Rolling Dice!

[d6 : 2] In the end, the result was: 2

Shade/Clara take 2nd place.

Results for the Horse Race

1st Place: Morning Glory, ridden by Shade Thornton

2nd Place: Arabesque, ridden by Adelaide Chappel

Stormwolfe - Today at 7:51 AM
1-2: Addy, 3-4: Evergreen Horse, 5-6: Shade

t!roll d6
DellaBOT - Today at 7:51 AM
:game_die: Rolling Dice!
[d6 : 5]
In the end, the result was: 5

Stormwolfe - Today at 7:52 AM
t!roll d6
DellaBOT - Today at 7:52 AM
:game_die: Rolling Dice!
[d6 : 2]
In the end, the result was: 2

29135134_ScreenShot2018-06-11at7_53_59AM.png.635fa68ddb870786eaec53146bff1c5c.png

The Brawl

The next event is open for everyone to tag into that wants to. We'll probably write most of it as a post-by-post scene so that we're not holding each other up waiting on JP tags. However, in the posts that require direct interaction, we can tag directly into that post (JP it). Let's try to keep any JPs to two characters at a time - again, this is to avoid tag pile-ups where we are waiting for each other to answer.

Brawl Basics

Clara Redmond stops near the saloon tent to get water for herself, the Thornton twins and her little brother. The two Evergreen ranch low-lifes that accosted her by the lake some days earlier will be hanging about and she recognizes them.

Let the action begin!

Everyone! WAIT for @Wayfarer to kick us off with the opening post.

@Characters

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About Sagas

Sagas of the WIld West is a roleplaying game set in a fictionalized version of the town of Kalispell in Montana territory. Our stories begin in 1875 and are set against the backdrop of actual historical events.Sagas was inspired by the classic television and movie westerns. Our focus is on writing, storytelling and character development.

Connect With Us On

discord_white

Affiliates

RPG Initiative    Devil's Tattoo

storm_shelter_button

Site Credits

Founders: Stormwolfe & Longshot

Our Rating is 333