Jump to content
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Recently Used Characters

  • Posts

    • "Ain't hardly nothin' to do but hunker down till she blows herself out." The man squatted, "Rance, is the name. Been watchin' you, doin' a fine job. You'll do Wheeler, you'll do. Try and get some rest, might end up bein' a long night. Least you won't be ridin' drag come daylight, there's a plus for ya."   He stood and made his way to his shelter to await the grub that was coming.   @Bongo
    • Meanwhile, in the main house, Reb Culverson was visiting with his old friend Fightin' Joe Hooker, who was the ramrod for the fledgling Montana Territory Stockgrowers Association, Northern District. He was there to convince ranchers to join and support the organization, hoping it would take root.   "And just what good is this here association ya got started?" Reb asked.   "It'll give us a voice in the territorial government, Reb, that's what it'll do. Once that happens we'll be able to git us some sortta range police to protect the herds, and the ranchers." Hooker responded. "Rustlin' might not be the threat it was, but you know as well as me, it can come back."   "You get anywhere with Lost Lake, 'er that cow thief on the Evergreen?" Reb asked.   "Can't say as I have, startin' with the smaller spreads an' workin' my way up to them two. I'm well aware of both spreads, and the men that own 'em."   -------------0------------   They swept down out of the trees whooping and hollering and firing off a couple of shots as they closed on both sides of a big group of cattle, just as they had planned. The  lone night hawk knew he had no chance of stopping the raiders, or of saving the cattle while he watched the chunk of the herd moving toward and then into the trees at a run.  He emptied his Colt at the raiders, the whipped out his Winchester  and levered several shots in the area where they had disappeared.   He could not know that one of his shots had found its mark. A man that had just joined took a slug in his back and toppled from his horse. Toole and the men continued to drive the cattle toward the dry riverbed as planned. It was an acceptable loss.   The sound of the shots, mere pops at the distance to the main house and the bunk house alerted everyone, and men boiled out of the bunk house guns in hand, only to watch the night man shooting after the rustlers.
    • Out on the boardwalk they stopped, "So we managed ta git a deal right off, thet's good, it is. Now all we gotta do is convince ol' Wentworth to free up the money so's ya don't have ta use yers right off." Amos commented, "Seems a fair deal but like you say, minin's not no sure thing."   "John and Mary are good folks. It's not a sure thing, but you saw the vein, went to the floor and it looks rich," Speed responded. "And it looks to be wider where they stopped digging. I can't wait to get it assayed to see what we've really got our hands on."   "And it should assay out pretty good from the looks of it, though I know so little about copper ore." Alice admitted.   "Well, you saw the copper ore, which is clearly distinguishable from the surrounding rock due to its reddish, mottled appearance. And that surrounding rock is granite which is not easy to work, but it can be done, and, if we have hit it, the veins could be as much as a mile long, a mile wide, and a mile deep!" Speed explained with a grin. "With that equipment we'll be able to not only dig deeper, we'll be able to tunnel, and we have the property to do just that."   "Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!" Amos exclaimed. Might oughtta buy up what ground ya can aound 'er, jest ta be certain!"   "First things first, let get on up to the bank." Speed suggested.
    • Justus was more than happy to have a chance to get out of the bulk of the wind, although he knew this was far from over.  And he knew they'd be hacking up dirt for days.     With the picket lines set, he moved over to help put up the shelters for the night, pretty quickly deciding that it was a fool's errand...they were all going to be miserable until this let up.   Squinting, he looked out toward the herd, not able to see but a few in the dust, it looked like they had been swallowed by the big, dirty cloud, and weren't even there.  In fact, he had the eerie sensation that all that was left in the world was this small circle of men and horses.   "Ya need me ta do anythin' else?" he called over the din of the wind.   @Flip
    • Doc Gilcrest walked into the bunck house to see Carson on his feet, dressed. "I may not be able to ride, but I can darn sure walk some. Tired of layin' in that bed."   "I reckon you kin do thet, sure 'nough. No body said ya had ta lie there if'n ya didn't want to. Yer stitched up plenty good. Jest leave thet hog leg where she's hangin' fer now, don't need the weight in thet wound."   "So anybody come sniffin' around?" He asked.   "Not so's you'd notice. There's four men down there keepin' watch, but it don't look like Lost Lake's lost any sleep over their man, that is if'n they even know he's gone." Gilcrest offered.   "He seen that brand an' went ta shootin'!" Carson reflected. "I jest shot straighter. Had no choice in the matter. Fool could'a rode on, but, well, that just ain't what happened. Hell of a mess."   "Oh I dunno. So far nobodies come huntin', the boss ain't upset over it, neither's Granger, so you got nothin' ta worry on 'cept gettin' better."   "I should'a been more careful, but maybe there just wasn't no way to be more careful. Up on the side of that mountain is the purdiest view a man could look at. You can see fer miles, see right where they got them cows of theirs. Now that ain't gonna be no easy matter to get to any of 'em. They're deep on Lost Lake range. Gonna be hard to get at, an' worse to get out. We'll lose some men tryin' this one, that's for sure!'   Gilcrest rubbed his chin. It wasn't like Carson to go on about the prospects of a job.

Stormwolfe
 Share

Recommended Posts

COMPLETED 09/23/2019

 

Summary

A massive killer Grizzly has taken up residence in and around Kalispell and Lost Lake Ranch. The story was inspired by the movie Night of the Grizzly, starring Clint Walker. This one is just for fun. The Old West version of a creature feature.

 

satan2.jpgMany years ago, a Canadian traveling circus went belly up in the Flathead Lake region of the Montana territory. One of their animals escaped. The escapee was a Kodiak bear (aka Alaskan Brown Bear, Kodiak Brown Bear). The bear had been made mean from years of abuse and had all but lost all fear of man. The one thing that remained was the bear's hatred of man. In the past, a massive Grizzly had been known to raid ranches and occasionally kill people. At some point, the bear had lost his left eye hence being given the name Old One-Eye. The bear appears to be more intelligent, crafty and cunning than other bears. However, some of this is legend and some  is simply because he has had more exposure to humans.

 

As fall approaches, One-Eye once again returns to the area. He is much older now and prefers easy prey. As more people are threatened or killed, it becomes necessary to try to find and eliminate the marauder. As strangers and locals vie for a hefty bounty, causing mayhem, the bear continues to impact people's lives.

 

One-Eye's Stats (see Kodiak Bear on wikipedia)

Weight: 1410 lbs.

Height: 5' (at the shoulder), 9.8 ft. (upright)

Age: 25 (estimate)

 

Personality: One-Eye does not fear humans or human interaction like most bears. He also has an unnatural hatred of humans. He recognizes and is wary of guns, but only actually fears fire (he lost his eye to a human wielding a fiery torch). He is an animal. Therefore, he does not hunt for pleasure or kill for revenge although to many it seems that way. In captivity, he learned that humans were to be feared and hated but they also meant easy food. After escaping, he learned that ranches and farms usually offer easy pickings.

Theme
The marauding Kodiak is just one aspect of the story. As it unfolds, various characters should encounter and deal with their own personal bears. What obstacles does your character need to overcome, which of their goals parallels the hunting and killing of the bear?

 

Additionally, various characters can encounter or be directly impacted by One-Eye's rampage.

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The plot summary for The Bear has been updated and is ready for discussion and feedback. Please read it over and reply to the topic with additional ideas or suggestions, or drop into group chat on Discord. Note: I am not going to post discussions, ideas, suggestions, and feedback for you.

 

This will be our next episode plot. Of course, smaller character plots can and will be woven into the story. This is necessary since not every played character can be in on the final hunt and killing of the bear. However, everyone can have various levels of encounters with the actual bear and work through their own personal bears.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds like fun.  I would volunteer the Redmond homestead to get a visit by our ursine friend  (I actually love Bears XD). Helps set up the terror and I'm then thinking Aurelian would go along on the hunt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wayfarer,

 

Thank you for your response! This helps me start planning action. Definitely need Old One-Eye to visit the homestead.

 

I actually love bears too and was totally fascinated by the prehistoric short-faced bear. This meant I was not quite happy with making the bear a bad guy without a good reason. Our friend from HoTW suggested the bear having a past with humans that had turned him psycho. Once the planning is done and the story starts, I will have to give Nox credit for One-Eye's reasons for hating people.

 

A third man would be of great benefit on the hunt since for Cattle Drive I need to have Shade slightly injured. Nothing major, just enough to keep him at the ranch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One thing people will have to keep in mind is the sheer monster size of this thing. Even men who may have encountered bears in the wild before will not be prepared for this thing's size. Most normal rifles of this time period would not penetrate deep enough to hit vital organs and black powder cartridges don't generate enough velocity and power to seriously damage something built as thick as he will be. Killing it will be very hard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, look at us! Actually discussing an upcoming plotline! Go, y'all!

 

@Longshot  Great point regarding the weapons. We'll likely have to provide some suitable killing power from the Lost Lake Ranch arsenal. When you have time, look up some images and specs and post them here.

 

Adding images to posts... works for in-game posts too!

  1. Upload an image via attachments at the bottom of the posting window. You can also drag and drop.
  2. Make sure your cursor is where you want the image to appear in the post.
  3. Click on the image to add it.
  4. Double click on the image to resize it, add links, or choose left or right text alignment. Leave the URL field blank for the image to simply link to and open the full-size.
  5. Please resize images to around 500 to 550 max width in posts.

Thanks for your input!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

image.png.9af789cbc2318ab1687ca59ebc010dab.png

 

Introduced in 1872 by The Sharps Rifle Company, .50-90 caliber was created to reliably kill buffalo with a single shot. That should do fine for a bear that big...the problem being that weight and barrel length will be a problem if it has managed to get to close quarters.

Edited by Quentin Cantrell (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, here we are starting our 3rd episode here at Sagas of the Wild West! Can you believe it! Go us!

 

Two posts have been moved from the end of episode 2 and will be designated flashbacks - not way back, just a matter of a few days or a week prior to the beginning of The Bear. If you have narrative solos you would like to do for the ending of The Legacy, let me know! I will be writing a final solo post for Shade.

 

The Bear's Timeframe

The episode will take place throughout the month of August 1875. As always, read the posts as some may contain events that everyone in the immediate area would know had happened via gossip or the local newspaper. The Kalispell Glacier would cover all major happenings and fill in with gossip columns when news is slow.

 

Opening Scenes

The first scene or two will lead up to the the episode's opening site-wide event - The Founder's Day Celebration (proposed by @Wayfarer)! Kalispell was formally incorporated on August 1, 1872. Each year, the town throws a 4th of July type of celebration on the weekend of the first (or the weekend before the 1st). The town holds various events including a rodeo, horse race, shooting contests, etc. At the end of the day there is an open dance sponsored by various prominent families (they usually take turns). This year, the dance will be held on Drover's Meadow (just inside the gates to Lost Lake Ranch). You can view the map HERE.

 

Opening Timeline

Thursday, July 29 - Friday, July 30: Scenes leading up to the celebration. You may also just designate the date as Prior to July 31, 1875.

 

Saturday, July 31: Founder's Day Celebration: We will set up a scene for the daytime events and one for the dance. You are, of course, also welcome to set up your own scenes. Just designate them by Time of Day so that anyone reading knows basically what is happening when.

 

Everyone is welcome to suggest JPs within each scene. The goal is to have fun before our friend The Bear pours ice water on the party!

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, y'all, pony up and claim a spot. If there were more of us, we'd go with the element of surprise, but that's just not feasible with so few. Our Founder's Day celebration is loosely based on events traditionally held on the 4th of July. However, if you have a period relevant event you want added for your character, feel free! The list in this post is not carved in stone.

 

Historical Note:  Early rodeo-like affairs of the 1820s and 1830s were informal events in the western United States and northern Mexico with cowboys and vaqueros testing their work skills against one another. Following the American Civil War, rodeo competitions emerged, with the first held in Cheyenne, Wyoming in 1872.

 

Rodeo Events: Calf-roping, cutting horse competition, bull riding (probably not a thing yet, but will be fun), bucking bronc riding, horse race and from McLintock the Egg Race.

 

Fair Events: Cattle show, horse show, garden show, canning contest, baking contests (cakes, pies, anything else), quilts - if it is era appropriate, we can add events from county / state fairs also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Shade Thornton:  I would like to claim a rodeo event or two, one of the horse races for Shade to win. He's a really fast runner too so maybe place in the foot race?

 

Harriet: Win or place in the harness horse competition.

 

Hannah: Win or place in archery competition, maybe shooting competition. She might even give the boys a literal run for their money in the foot races!

 

My other characters can participate if requested. Win, place, or show in any of the competitions is good. I am not wedded to winning.

 

@Administrators  and  @Players

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

None of my people are horse or cattle people so none of them will be participating in any of that.

 

Clara will probably enter a baking contest but only if she can have her entry back if she doesn't win, it seems like such an extravagant waste when the family's food supplies are so low.

 

I had no idea they had foot races for men? Interesting..........  Robert is lean and young, long legs, good build for running, he could enter that.

They should have potato sack races or can't think of what they called it but in school we had a guy and a girl who had their one leg tied together and then had to run in teamwork. It was hilarious.

 

Wait think it was called three-legged race?

Edited by Wayfarer (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We called them two-legged races.

 

In reality, I have no idea if there were foot races back in the day but it seemed doable and probably fun!

 

Re: Clara's baking - she could have it back or send it to the pot-luck. Figured there might even be a baked goods auction. Plenty of options.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quentin's expertise is hardly good for the games, unless there's a draw competition. He's a fine rifle shot, but I would think there are men who are better pure shots than him. If there's some kind of revolver contest he might be good. The only other thing would be if there was some kind of...prizefighting? the early kind with a ring and gloves? I know it existed back then. Up for suggestions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Longshot   I think we discussed this in Discord, but prizefighting in 1875 was still bare knuckled fighting. Still, we could have the contestants wrap their hands with strips of cloth to soften the blows and have really strict rules like one minute rounds, that sort of thing.

 

Also, again brought up in Discord but can't remember when - how about things like horseshoes?

 

He can also ride with Harriet during the buggy race. LOL.  And cheer other Lost Lake contestants on, wrangle the twins, etc. We'll keep Mr. Q. busy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Fair to Remember is the title of our Founder's Day Celebration scene - thread. I will get the storyteller post that sets up the day and the scene written soon although it might not be today.

 

There's so few of us actively writing, please consider helping one another out with NPCs if needed. Everyone, if you need NPC help - ask. We can't read each others' minds. We're wild west, not X-Men. :D

 

Each event should take place in its own post in the scene. We're not going to sweat the order of things very much. We'll just open posts as and when needed. The goal is to have good fun event!

 

May the best man win!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes! We can have marksmanship competitions (makes me sad Hunter won't be there yet). There is a moderate timber industry although Lost Lake Ranch (the Thorntons' place) does not allow wholesale timbering on their land.

 

Good ideas!

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Fair to Remember is open and ready for our posts.

 

I have thought and thought about how to manage adding the various events. Rather than hold anyone up that's ready to post, let's try to remember to put an additional item at the beginning of our posts - time of day (i.e. early morning, late morning, afternoon, etc.).

 

We won't wait for all morning events to play out before posting afternoon events and so on. Just pay attention to when each post is taking place within the overall scene. 

 

When we've started slowing down on people mixing, mingling, and competing - we'll launch the brawl which will end the day's events. We'll open a separate scene for the dance.

 

If anyone has a better idea - give me a shout via this thread or on Discord. If people need help with NPCs, post here. We'll all try to pitch in and help out.

 

I know you guys will prod me if I've missed anything.

 

@Players

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Good Day Everyone,

 

We are still setting our scenes on Saturday, July 31, 1875 (Founders Day Celebration). However, so as not to bog things down badly, we are not demanding they be added in strict chronological order. Just make sure to add the time of day to the beginning of your post.

 

If possible, let's keep writing the actual events (races, contests, etc.) in A Fair to Remember as joint posts. If you think the event your character is participating in will be better written as a multiple post scene, then just open a new scene and make the title the event. For example, Founders Day Horse Race. If the event won't require more than three posts, you won't need to open a new scene. Clear as mud? Just ask me if you're not sure.

 

Again, you do not have to wait for us to finish one event to start writing another one.

 

Later today, I will go through this thread and create a list of events that have been suggested. All you need to do to suggest an event or to sign your character up for one that's already been suggested is reply to this topic with the details.

 

If you have any questions at all about the fair, please ask.

 

@Administrators

@Players

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

EVENT PARTICIPANTS


Hey Y'all!

 

If interested in joining any of these events, please give me a shout on Discord or reply here (easiest since I can just come here and read) ...

 

Horse Race: Shade, Addy

Foot Race: Shade, Robert

Pie-Eating: Duke, Addy, Silas

Bare-Knuckle Boxing: Robert, Quentin

Three-Legged Race: Shade/Clara, Quentin/Harriet, Addy/Robert, an NPC couple.

 

There will also be a late afternoon brawl and then the dance.

Edited by Stormwolfe (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Results of the Three-Legged Race

   *It is also pinned in the Discord Plotting-Planning Channel


Roll for the Win

Wayfarer-Today at 11:46 AM

sure - 1-2 Shade/Clara 3-4 Addy/Robert 5-6 Quentin Harriet

33% chance for each team

 

Stormwolfe-Today at 11:48 AM

t!roll d6

 

DellaBOT-Today at 11:48 AM

 Rolling Dice!

[d6 : 4] In the end, the result was: 4

 

Wayfarer-Today at 11:48 AM

Addy/Robert win!

 

Roll for 2nd Place

Wayfarer-Today at 11:50 AM

D6 1-3 Shade/Clara 4-6 Harriet/Quentin

 

Stormwolfe-Today at 11:50 AM

t!roll d6

 

DellaBOT-Today at 11:50 AM

 Rolling Dice!

[d6 : 2] In the end, the result was: 2

 

Shade/Clara take 2nd place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Results for the Horse Race

 

1st Place: Morning Glory, ridden by Shade Thornton

2nd Place: Arabesque, ridden by Adelaide Chappel

 

Stormwolfe - Today at 7:51 AM
1-2: Addy, 3-4: Evergreen Horse, 5-6: Shade


t!roll d6
DellaBOT - Today at 7:51 AM
:game_die: Rolling Dice!
[d6 : 5]
In the end, the result was: 5


Stormwolfe - Today at 7:52 AM
t!roll d6
DellaBOT - Today at 7:52 AM
:game_die: Rolling Dice!
[d6 : 2]
In the end, the result was: 2

 

29135134_ScreenShot2018-06-11at7_53_59AM.png.635fa68ddb870786eaec53146bff1c5c.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Brawl

 

The next event is open for everyone to tag into that wants to. We'll probably write most of it as a post-by-post scene so that we're not holding each other up waiting on JP tags. However, in the posts that require direct interaction, we can tag directly into that post (JP it). Let's try to keep any JPs to two characters at a time - again, this is to avoid tag pile-ups where we are waiting for each other to answer.

 

 Brawl Basics

 

Clara Redmond stops near the saloon tent to get water for herself, the Thornton twins and her little brother. The two Evergreen ranch low-lifes that accosted her by the lake some days earlier will be hanging about and she recognizes them.

 

Let the action begin!

 

Everyone! WAIT for @Wayfarer to kick us off with the opening post.

 

@Characters

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Stormwolfe unfeatured, unpinned, locked and unlocked this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...