• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Recently Used Characters

• Barnabas listened, understanding the young mans desire to venture out, and also his hesitance to leave his sister behind. Life has those twists and turns that are possible blocks to what feels like their calling. "Well, you know, there are ways that you could manage that education, and there are ways that Lillian here could go with you." Then he cautioned, "I would certainly hesitate to travel to the Dakotas until the Indians are pacified. I'm sure they are filled with the power of their defeat of George Custer."   "Then again, should you attend the university, things could be settled before you graduated and ventured out. Education is a fine thing, Tom, whether you use it here, or the Dakotas, or wherever  you might venture forth. I only wished I had had the luxury of education beyond what I managed at my mothers knee and that one room school house in Texas." But fortune had smiled on him, the poker hand and what he had brought him, and then Em. His life was good, all things considered.
    • Their cab driver was waiting for them, he'd stayed close, alert to when they would return, and he was content, having had a wonderful lunch that Mrs. Pike had had packed for him.  Now, he helped get the remains of their picnic loaded, then made sure everyone was settled, with blankets in case they needed them, and started back for town.   "That was a wonderful outing!" Emeline declared, chuckling.  "Although I think I ended up with half the beach in my shoes!"  That had been something she hadn't thought about when going barefoot...putting the shoes and socks back on had been a challenge, especially with no way to keep the sand out!   She settled in, wrapping a blanket around her knees, since the hem of her skirt was damp, then rested her head against Barnabas' shoulder and was soon asleep.  Across from them, Lillian was also dozing.   "Thank you for letting us come with you, sir," Tom murmured quietly, "my sister works too hard and it's good for her to have some fun.  And I appreciate the advice.  College sounds like a good plan, if we can afford it.  I'd love to go to Montana or the Dakotas, but I don't want to leave Lillian."   @Flip
    • "Guess you're right about just showin' up at the ranch like that." He agree, and that is kind of you, but I've cash put by for this trip I've made. The hotel does sound good. And the local fare? Which is the best place to eat. Lookin' for big steak dinner I am. Been sometime since I was able to get somethin' like that. It was a trip to remember, long, hard, and with every temperature you could imagine."   It had been that and a bit more. There had been Molly McGuire, he was missing her, but Kalispell would not be the place for her if all that had been said came to fruition between Lost Lake and the Evergreen. He had waltzed in on what could be a real corpse and cartridge affair, and one that went on an on til they forgot what it was about, or who started it.   "I appreciate your offer, and your council about town and holdin' off till the ranch hands were in town. I'll do just that. @JulieS    
    • Benjamin gave up on the fruitless pursuit of the surviving war party, they were down a six or so anyhow and more than likely just heading back to their home village. If it was one thing the US cavalry learned about chasing Indians, you didn't catch 'em.  Best horsemen in the world maybe. So he ordered his scouts and troopers to turn back and then spent the better part of a few hours just getting back to the rest of his command. It being dark did not help at all but the scouts were up to the task.   Once back he found out that a lot had happened - almost all good too, well except another trooper had been killed. But Lt. Greene found (had lucked into it really but no criticism there - it was the great Napoleon who had said  'better a lucky general than a good one') the women and they were alive. Looking a bit worse for wear but no dangerous wounds, the saloon girl was already wearing trousers and a bluecoat lent her by eager troopers. And Greene had a face to face encounter with an Arapaho brave looking to kill the ladies. That Indian was dead. Barlow didn't press the young officer on the details, that he could read in the report Greene would have to write out later back in the fort, for the young man was wounded and in considerable discomfort. They didn't have a doctor with this detachment but one of the troopers who knew something about wound treatment assured Benjamin the boy would live and keep his leg. Well unless he didn't take care of it properly and get gangrene.   The stage driver was quite the tough gal too. She was sporting a large bruise from where the Arapaho had belted her with his gun butt but in good humor and even told him that the two women had killed their guard and escaped on their own.  Barlow was impressed.   "Well, it's a pity we don't allow women in the army, we could use a couple more like you and your friend," Benjamin remarked to Addy.   It was a tough call to make - normally traveling at night was not the wise thing to do but they had the wounded to think of and the sooner they got them back to better medical care at the fort or even town, the better. He decided darkness or not, they would head back and issued the appropriate orders.   They kept the pace deliberately slow but steady. He wasn't worried about Indian attack - Plains Indians did not attack at night and besides that war party was good as destroyed and definitely dispersed.  No, the bigger danger was loss of a horse or horses to prairie dog holes or god knows what else whilst traveling in the darkness.   Then there was a holler from ahead.   @MD  @Bongo @Flip @Javia
    • Both men had agreed, it had been a hell of a day. That Bannister came to them had been unexpected, but welcomed.  As they walked to the hotel after stabling their mounts they paused on the porch, taking up seats on the porch. Both men silent as they turned over the events of the day. Neither weary as they should be after a long hard ride back to Kalispell.   "This shapes up different than I was thinking it would. I mean hell, this is father against daughter." Cook said, "Seen a few that was father-son, never father-daughter."   "Odd one, that's fer shore. Now This Elias Steelgrave, you know much about him?" McNue asked, wonder what type of man is a threat to his own flesh and blood.   "Some, none of it good, and none of it arrestable, if that's even a word. The man skirts the law in a way he gets what he's after without consequence. Though I've heard there's a dark past with some bodies, but again, no real proof. Well, we'll check in with Guyer in the morning, see what we can do."   "Sounds to be a good idea, as dos gettin' our fair share 'o shuteye." McNue agreed. Both men got to their feet and entered the hotel. On this night their prospective of what was happening had changed.
Franklin Fortner

A New Day - New Challenges

Hiram Priest kept busy with his game of Solitaire, but he also kept an eye on the progression of things a the poker table.  

At the moment, that irritating gadfly of a girl was getting in the way.  The last thing that they wanted was Horace Potee to lose his concentration on his game with his new-found friends.

There was something else bothering him.  It was that Ben Simons and his undue interest on the friendly card game that Fortner and Potee were having.  He seemed to view things too keenly and too critically.  Maybe it would be good if he had some liquid refreshment like everyone else was.

Laying the cards on the table, Hiram stood up and made his way slowly to where Ralph stood behind the bar.

"Here," stated Hiram Priest, slapping a half dollar on the counter.  "Would you please take a shot of Red Eye over to Mr. Simons and tell him that it's compliments of Judge Priest?  He looks like he could use a friend and also a drink.  I would appreciate it if you could do that for me.  You won't find me ungenerous." 

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Horace WAS dizzy.  He picked up his hand and studied them, then set them down.

"Hey good Christian girl.   Would you please ask the barkeep for another belt?"  He reached down and sent a silver dollar from his bank skidding over to her.  Get one for yourself if you're of a mind to."

"Oh, Mr Potee, do you really think you should drink any more?" She was banned from spreading the temperance message in the saloon, for obvious reasons, but she spoke quietly, so nobody could hear "You look like you need a lie down to me, and a nice drink of cool, healthful water. Listen, Mr Potee, you have a wonderful wife; I know she ain't much to look at, some folks might even call her ugly, but she loves you dearly, and a pretty little daughter, why don't you go home and lie in the bosoms of your family? You know, when Jesus turned the water into wine, he didn't expect... oh oh!!"

Fortner and Caroline were coming back, so she clammed up: they couldn't hear her, of course, but she figured the halo shining above her head might give her away. 

It was going to be a short game: she had a Jack and a Queen. She held up her hand: he must have a single Jack left in his hand. "Pick a card." she said swiftly - she could only hope he would pick the Queen, that might decide him to call it a night.

@Preston @Wayfarer

Edited by Javia (see edit history)

"I got my reasons.  Someday I'll fill you in on them," Fortner started to reply.

Caroline frowned, she still was being kept in the dark here.

"But, okay.  Tell you what.  If things are looking good for us, that's fine.   No spilled coffee.  There is more than you can imagine riding on this and, I know that this is going to sound strange, but I don't want to leave it to chance.  Look, if you hear me say to you, "I hear you serve the best coffee in Montana," that means I need your help.  Now.. if you don't want to do it.  I will understand and no hard feelings.  We'll still find a way and you'll still be the "Montana Queen".   Okay?"

He warmly smiled at her.

"More riding on this than a card game? He don't even have that much money, he is some poor sodbuster plus he has a wife," Caroline was so confused. Plus maybe the man had kids too? Most farmers wanted lots of kids, helped with the field work.

"You are too valuable to try to get you to do anything you don't want to.  I hope you believe me."

"I've always been a good worker, all my bosses would back me on that. I wanna help ya, I do," Caroline was obviously battling with her conscience.

Then it came to her, "Hey! How bout this? What if it's just coffee....coffee that's been sitting for awhile and lost all it's heat? Then he would still be startled and wet but he wouldn't be hurt?"

The saloon girl never claimed to be a saint but she'd never been needlessly cruel either.

• Love 1

It looked to Fortner that Caroline was not going to go along with his scheme.  The pride of the Star Dust was deliberating out loud, and, in a way, it touched him.

"I've always been a good worker, all my bosses would back me on that. I wanna help ya, I do," Caroline was obviously battling with her conscience.

Then it came to her, "Hey! How bout this? What if it's just coffee....coffee that's been sitting for awhile and lost all it's heat? Then he would still be startled and wet but he wouldn't be hurt?"

The saloon girl never claimed to be a saint but she'd never been needlessly cruel either.

"Not only are you pretty, but you're smart," Frank said.  "That's a good idea.  So, at some point, when I ask if you will clear the table, you can spill it then."

They left through the kitchen door and reentered the saloon.

*********************************************************************************************

"Oh, Mr Potee, do you really think you should drink any more?"

"I paddle my own canoe, Miss," Potee stated, still staring at his old maid hand.

"You look like you need a lie down to me, and a nice drink of cool, healthful water. Listen, Mr Potee, you have a wonderful wife; I know she ain't much to look at, some folks might even call her ugly, but she loves you dearly, and a pretty little daughter, why don't you go home and lie in the bosoms of your family? You know, when Jesus turned the water into wine, he didn't expect... oh oh!!"

This was too much for Horace.  "I don't  need no preachin'!  I need to keep up my winning streak, that's what."

Fortner and Caroline were coming back, so she clammed up: they couldn't hear her, of course, but she figured the halo shining above her head might give her away. 

It was going to be a short game: she had a Jack and a Queen. She held up her hand: he must have a single Jack left in his hand. "Pick a card." she said swiftly - she could only hope he would pick the Queen, that might decide him to call it a night.

The Sod Buster reached across with his hand, his fingers waving over the top of the cards.  Just then, he noticed his playmates coming back from the kitchen.

"Oops!   Here they come!" he said with drunk enthusiasm;  the card game with the girl now forgotten.

"What the hell were you doin'?" Horace at the two.  "Pluckin' a chicken?"

Fortner patted Caroline on the back and answered, "Oh ..just tending to business, Mr. Potee.  Tending to business."

Her boss seemed to like her idea.

"Not only are you pretty, but you're smart," Frank said.

"Oh hell, I could have told you that right off," Caroline grinned.

"That's a good idea.  So, at some point, when I ask if you will clear the table, you can spill it then."

"Yeah, but only if necessary you said," she pointed out, "As drunk as he is, I don't know why you can't just beat him fair n' square at cards. Cuz he's stupid drunk."

With that settled the pair headed back out of the kitchen into the main room. Hell, even the drunk was wondering what that had been all about. It certainly had been awfully suspicious to Caroline's way of thinking, luckily Potee was plastered.

"Sorta," Caroline shrugged.

Fortner patted Caroline on the back and answered, "Oh ..just tending to business, Mr. Potee.  Tending to business."

• Love 1

"That's a good idea.  So, at some point, when I ask if you will clear the table, you can spill it then."

"Yeah, but only if necessary you said," she pointed out, "As drunk as he is, I don't know why you can't just beat him fair n' square at cards. Cuz he's stupid drunk."

"Maybe so, Caroline, but drunks sometimes have inexplicable luck," Frank cautioned as if from a vast experience.

With that settled the pair headed back out of the kitchen into the main room. Hell, even the drunk was wondering what that had been all about. It certainly had been awfully suspicious to Caroline's way of thinking, luckily Potee was plastered.

"Sorta," Caroline shrugged.

Frank issued a laugh disguised as a cough into his fist.

"Hey Piano girl!" shouted Potee!  "Ain' t ya gonna be my lucky piece no more?"   Forgetting that he'd recently been brusque with her.  "Where's m'little lucky piece?"  He pounded on the the table causing coins to jump.   "Where's m'little angel?"

Frank was dismissive.  "She'll be around Horace, so let's get back to the game.  I gotta try to win back some of that money I've lost to you."

They soon resumed their places, and Fortner shuffled and fanned the cards with much more than passing experience.  They made clicking sounds like cogs in a sprocket, as he swooped them up, fanned  them out, regrouped, shuffled, and then expertly send them sailing from one had to another until squaring them off and slapping them in a neat stack in the center of the table.

"Cut," he said.

"OuuuuEEEE!" cried the Sod buster.  "I ain't never seen anything like THAT before!   Have you, Miss Caroline?"  he asked Caroline.

It was a quick hand and Potee won;  His seven-high-straight over Fortner's three of a kind.

"Pop goes the weasel!" he squealed delightedly as he scoop up the winnings and pulled them over to add to his growing bank.  "This is like takin' candy from a baby."

Fortner loosened his tie, and he appeared quite frazzled. 

"Ralph!" he called.  "Can you get us a fresh deck of cards?"

• Love 1

Frank was dismissive.  "She'll be around Horace, so let's get back to the game.  I gotta try to win back some of that money I've lost to you."

Arabella had wandered off when Mr Potee had dropped the Old Maid hand, but drifted back when called. 

"What's the matter Mr Potee?" she asked, without rancour. She had done her best to help him, but if he wanted to cut his own throat, what could she do? "You want me to be your 'lucky Blonde'? All right." she said, unconvinced that even a blonde with hair of spun gold would be able to help him, let alone someone with her head of raven tresses..

They soon resumed their places, and Fortner shuffled and fanned the cards with much more than passing experience.  They made clicking sounds like cogs in a sprocket, as he swooped them up, fanned  them out, regrouped, shuffled, and then expertly send them sailing from one had to another until squaring them off and slapping them in a neat stack in the center of the table.

"Cut," he said.

"OuuuuEEEE!" cried the Sod buster.  "I ain't never seen anything like THAT before!   Have you, Miss Caroline?"  he asked Caroline.

"Oh, there ain't much Miss Mundee hasn't seen or done, is there Caro'?" Arabella butted in, her hand on Mr Potee's shoulder in true saloon girl style. For a while it seemed to work, Horace was winning hand after hand, until an apparently hot-under-the-collar Mr Fortner called out for a new pack.

"Ralph!" he called.  "Can you get us a fresh deck of cards?"

"What's wrong with these'uns?" asked Arabella loudly, then to Mr Potee. "Them's your lucky cards: if you swap, your luck'll go to Devil: I'd get out of this game now if I were you!" she advised. 

Sure enough the soon to be plucked Potee won the first hand of their second round and her boss pretended to be frazzled about it, Caroline just watched. She didn't like this much at all but the saloon was her life and she would do as she was told.

OuuuuEEEE!" cried the Sod buster.  "I ain't never seen anything like THAT before!   Have you, Miss Caroline?"  he asked Caroline.

Before she could answer, Arabella had to make a snide remark.

"Oh, there ain't much Miss Mundee hasn't seen or done, is there Caro'?" Arabella butted in, her hand on Mr Potee's shoulder in true saloon girl style.

Caroline shot her a dagger look but refrained from a comment. What was bothering the girl now that she was sniping at her?

Fortner loosened his tie.

"Ralph!" he called.  "Can you get us a fresh deck of cards?"

There he went again, their boss still didn't get the boundaries of the people at work in this place. Ralph was a bartender, he worked the bar and if necessary was the bouncer. He did not run out drinks to the tables nor should he be expected to run errands like this.  Sure enough Arabella had to stick her big mouth into it.

"What's wrong with these'uns?" asked Arabella loudly, then to Mr Potee. "Them's your lucky cards: if you swap, your luck'll go to Devil: I'd get out of this game now if I were you!" she advised. 

Caroline sighed and announced, "I'll get ya another pack, boss." Then she spun about and headed for the bar where they did extra cards in unopened packages.  Miss Devereau never wanted anything to do with marked decks.

• Made Me Laugh! 1

There he went again, their boss still didn't get the boundaries of the people at work in this place. Ralph was a bartender, he worked the bar and if necessary was the bouncer. He did not run out drinks to the tables nor should he be expected to run errands like this.  Sure enough Arabella had to stick her big mouth into it.

"Oh, I don't know, Arabella," Fortner mused.  "Seems to me they're light a Queen or three.  You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"  It was true.  Fortner, being somewhat of a cardsharp, knew pretty quickly where most of the high value cards were.  He didn't want to make a big deal about it because he didn't want to spook Potee.

Caroline sighed and announced, "I'll get ya another pack, boss." Then she spun about and headed for the bar where they did extra cards in unopened packages.  Miss Devereau never wanted anything to do with marked decks.

"Thanks, Caroline," Frank said, realizing the position he'd put the bartender in.  "Sorry, Ralph!" he called.

Potee, impatient to continue his winning streak, drummed his fingers on the table.  Then, to Arabella, he said, "I ain't superstitious about gambling, so I don't care if'n he gets new cards.  But say, do have a lucky charm on you, like a rabbit's foot of something like that?"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)

"Oh, I don't know, Arabella," Fortner mused.  "Seems to me they're light a Queen or three.  You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"  It was true.  

"Uh?" grunted Arabella, and then remembered she'd removed them for the game of Old Maid. "Oh yeah!" she beamed pulling the three ladies in question out of her apron pocket "Three of a Kind! And there's the two kickers!" she added, stomping her heavy boots on the saloon floor. "You know, Mister Potee, some people call me The Queen of Hearts, cause everybody loves me so much, but I'm more like the Queen of Spades, she's a real Femme Fatale!" she informed the simple yokel.

Caroline sighed and announced, "I'll get ya another pack, boss." Then she spun about and headed for the bar where they did extra cards in unopened packages.  Miss Devereau never wanted anything to do with marked decks.

"Thanks, Caroline," Frank said, realizing the position he'd put the bartender in.  "Sorry, Ralph!" he called.

"Yeah, you'll be stompin' on everyone's toes Mr F. if you don't know: Ralph just serves the drinks and thumps the drunks; Caro just sings the songs and drinks the drinks; Cookie just cooks the food; and I do every blessed other thing in this place! And I guess you just sorta watch us doin' it all day long." Arabella explained, helpfully.

Potee, impatient to continue his winning streak, drummed his fingers on the table.  Then, to Arabella, he said, "I ain't superstitious about gambling, so I don't care if'n he gets new cards.  But say, do have a lucky charm on you, like a rabbit's foot of something like that?"

Arabella nodded, and produced a very disreputable looking handkerchief which bore the evidence off a few years' worth of colds, runny noses, sneezes, nosebleeds and stubborn boogers. "This is my binky, it's the only thing I still got what I brought out of Virginia. It's the most precious thing I got after my bible." she told him. 

"But you can't have that. How 'bout this. This French feller from Canada came in one time last month or so and give me this, my binky's good enough luck fer me, so you can have it." she rummaged in her apron pocket and handed him a small silver charm, shaped like a pig with a little heart on it. "He said it was a..." she frowned trying to remember "... a 'porte boneur' and that I was a fille à l'air étrange whatever the heck that means."

@Wayfarer @Preston

"Oh, I don't know, Arabella," Fortner mused.  "Seems to me they're light a Queen or three.  You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?"  It was true.  

Arabella reached in her pocket and retrieved the lost queens, it didn't matter to Fortner.  You couldn't have the miasma of crookedness hovering over a card game --- even if it was crooked.   Everything had to be above board -- sort of.  That's why Fortner asked Ralph for a new deck of cards.

It didn't seem to phase Arabella who was never at a loss for folksy bromides that gave the illusion of problem solving.

"You know, Mister Potee, some people call me The Queen of Hearts, cause everybody loves me so much, but I'm more like the Queen of Spades, she's a real Femme Fatale!" she informed the simple yokel.

"I dunno what that means, Missy," Potee declared, and so loudly that it turned heads at some nearby tables.

Caroline sighed and announced, "I'll get ya another pack, boss." Then she spun about and headed for the bar where they did extra cards in unopened packages.  Miss Devereau never wanted anything to do with marked decks.

"Thanks, Caroline," Frank said, realizing the position he'd put the bartender in.  "Sorry, Ralph!" he called.

"Yeah, you'll be stompin' on everyone's toes Mr F. if you don't know: Ralph just serves the drinks and thumps the drunks; Caro just sings the songs and drinks the drinks; Cookie just cooks the food; and I do every blessed other thing in this place! And I guess you just sorta watch us doin' it all day long." Arabella explained, helpfully.

Franklin Fortner nodded but said nothing.  His mind was on some soon-to-happen fleecing.

Potee, impatient to continue his winning streak, drummed his fingers on the table.  Then, to Arabella, he said, "I ain't superstitious about gambling, so I don't care if'n he gets new cards.  But say, do have a lucky charm on you, like a rabbit's foot of something like that?"

Arabella nodded, and produced a very disreputable looking handkerchief which bore the evidence off a few years' worth of colds, runny noses, sneezes, nosebleeds and stubborn boogers. "This is my binky, it's the only thing I still got what I brought out of Virginia. It's the most precious thing I got after my bible." she told him. 

Arabella was no quieter than Potee was, and a voice from the depths of the saloon began singing, "Carry me back to old Virginie." 

"But you can't have that. How 'bout this. This French feller from Canada came in one time last month or so and give me this, my binky's good enough luck fer me, so you can have it." she rummaged in her apron pocket and handed him a small silver charm, shaped like a pig with a little heart on it. "He said it was a..." she frowned trying to remember "... a 'porte boneur' and that I was a fille à l'air étrange whatever the heck that means."

"Ah Hell no, Lil Darlin'," Horace protested.  "All I gotta do is touch it and the luck will rub off."  He then reached over and rubbed the charm with his grubby fingers.   "I aim to be King of the World after this game is over. Oh, and don't be wastin' yer time with any French fellers.  They're a bad lot disguising their wicked ways with fancy talk."  Then, as if jolted back to reality by liquor driven greed, he asked, "Where the hell are those cards!"

• Love 1

Things weren't really like Arabella said but then the girl lived in her own rather slanted little world. Maybe Fortner was catching on to just tune her out like both Ralph and Caroline had quite some time ago.

"Where the hell are those cards!" bellowed the drunk, who obviously was in a real hurry to be separated from his money.

"Oh hold yer horses, here's the deck, boss," Caroline handed it over to Fortner.

• Love 1

Arabella had never seen anyone rub silver and make it go duller, but Horace Potee managed to do it to her little pig charm! Oh well, she gave it another rub on her pinny and got it all nice and shiny again, before adding in back into the pile of junk in her apron pocket.

Caroline got the cards and she watched carefully as the singer gave them to Mr Fortner. Arabella knew she should really go and get on with her chores, but she was magnetically drawn to watch the match of wits, cunning and experienced sleight of hand on one side against... well, against Mr Potee (and a three-sheets-to-the-wind Mr Potee, at that!) on the other. The only thing the poor ign'rant sod buster seemed to have on his side was a quick rub of Arabella's porc and whatever luck she could bring by standing at his shoulder.

@Preston @JulieS

"Where the hell are those cards!" bellowed the drunk, who obviously was in a real hurry to be separated from his money.

Caroline got the cards and she watched carefully as the singer gave them to Mr Fortner. Arabella knew she should really go and get on with her chores, but she was magnetically drawn to watch the match of wits, cunning and experienced sleight of hand on one side against... well, against Mr Potee (and a three-sheets-to-the-wind Mr Potee, at that!) on the other. The only thing the poor ign'rant sod buster seemed to have on his side was a quick rub of Arabella's porc and whatever luck she could bring by standing at his shoulder.

The serpent was about to strike, but there was just one problem:  Arabella.  She saw EVERYTHING, and she had an indiscreet tongue.  Franklin needed to shoo her away before too long.  He would find a reason.

"Okay, Horace.  Are you ready?" Fortner asked after he took the seal off the deck of cards.

"Sure as shootin' Mr. Fortner," answered the sloppy drunk.  "I'm a figuring that after another few hands of this game, I'll catch me the next train to Easy Street.  No more plows, no more chores, no more hard times, no more Maude...  Oops!  did I just say that?"   It tickled him so much that he began to laugh uproariously.  "I'm a new man today!"

"Cut!" Franklin said after he shuffled. 

Horace obliged ... and then, quite deftly, Franklin cut them too.  There was nothing illegal in that -- not much.

The cards flew across the table and landed in front of Potee who clumsily gathered them to his chest.  And what did he find? --- Three fives, two nines and a Jack.  The betting which ensued was furious.  It was obvious that Fortner had  good cards, too, but, in the end, Horace won yet another hand.

"Wahoo!" the homesteader cried as his raked the pot over to his large bank. 

Fortner looked appropriately disgusted at the events.  That was when he turned to Caroline and asked, "Will you get us some coffee, please.  I hear you serve the best coffee in Kalispell."   He turned to Potee.  "Will you be wanting some coffee, Mr. Potee?"

"Sounds good, but," he turned to Caroline, "could you spike it a bit, hon?" 

Horace never felt better in his life.

• Made Me Laugh! 1

The cards flew across the table and landed in front of Potee who clumsily gathered them to his chest.  And what did he find? --- Three fives, two nines and a Jack.  The betting which ensued was furious.  It was obvious that Fortner had  good cards, too, but, in the end, Horace won yet another hand.

"Wahoo!" the homesteader cried as his raked the pot over to his large bank. 

What the hell?  What kind of card sharp was Fortner that he couldn't even beat a drunkard? Caroline was thinking he should just stick to owning the saloon.

Fortner looked appropriately disgusted at the events.  That was when he turned to Caroline and asked, "Will you get us some coffee, please.  I hear you serve the best coffee in Kalispell." 

He definitely heard wrong there, but of course Caroline merely smiled and nodded. She was roped into this mess and now she'd have to do what her boss wanted.

He turned to Potee.  "Will you be wanting some coffee, Mr. Potee?"

"Oh you bet, dahling," Caroline's smile looked heartfelt but that's only because she was such a good faker at it.

Caroline then headed for the back kitchen. Her part in this would take a few minutes. For one thing she wasn't about to give the man hot coffee, not the way he was going to get this cup alright. As for wasting booze on it, she could just thin it with cold water.

• Love 1

He turned to Potee.  "Will you be wanting some coffee, Mr. Potee?"

"Oh you bet, dahling," Caroline's smile looked heartfelt but that's only because she was such a good faker at it.

Potee slapped his hands together and rubbed them;  Life couldn't be better.

Caroline then headed for the back kitchen. Her part in this would take a few minutes. For one thing she wasn't about to give the man hot coffee, not the way he was going to get this cup alright. As for wasting booze on it, she could just thin it with cold water.

Franklin Fortner gathered the cards and began to shuffle them.  This, he elevated it to a fine art.  In his hands, the cards flashed like the wings of butterflies.  In a series of pirouette-like maneuvers, the saloon owner fanned them and then joined them until he made a neat stack of them.

"Cut," he ordered once he'd slid the cards across to Horace.

"Yessir, Frank!" Potee agreed with, now, slobbering familiarity and made an elaborate show of cutting the deck - twice.  While he did this, Fortner stared at him with the quiet, steady patience of a cougar ready to pounce.

When ready, Fortner dealt the cards with deliberate efficiency.

Potee, instead of waiting for all five cards to arrive, picked them up after each one of them landed in front of him.  His delight was manifest in slack-mouthed disbelief.  What he had in his hands before the any draw were three Jacks, a Nine of diamonds, and a Five of clubs.

Potee turned to Arabella.

"Could I touch that good luck piece again?"

Fortner did not register any emotions as he arranged his cards in his hands.  He had three Aces, a Seven of hearts, ... and a Jack of diamonds, just like he knew there would be.

"How's that coffee coming?" he shouted to Caroline.

"Bet?" he asked Potee.

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Caroline was going to make coffee?! She certainly drank enough of it, especially the 'morning after': but it was always Cookie, or Arabella herself, or even Mr Flandry, who would make it. Did Caroline even know how to make coffee? Yeah, of course she must, but Arabella was tempted to go with her and make sure she did it right, or even do it for her. Then she remembered that there would a pot kept permanently hot on the hob in there anyway. She hoped Caroline would remember to use a cloth to pick it up, the handle would be uncomfortably warm.

All well and good: she could remain and be Mr Potee's black haired 'Lucky Blonde'.Mr Fortner picked up the new deck and did all sorts of leger de main with the deck that made a plain old Riverboat Shuffle look like a Pickleboat Scuffle. 

Franklin Fortner gathered the cards and began to shuffle them.  This, he elevated it to a fine art.  In his hands, the cards flashed like the wings of butterflies.  In a series of pirouette-like maneuvers, the saloon owner fanned them and then joined them until he made a neat stack of them.

"Cut," he ordered once he'd slid the cards across to Horace.

Potee, instead of waiting for all five cards to arrive, picked them up after each one of them landed in front of him.  His delight was manifest in slack-mouthed disbelief.  What he had in his hands before the any draw were three Jacks, a Nine of diamonds, and a Five of clubs.

Potee turned to Arabella.

"Could I touch that good luck piece again?"

Arabella fished out the silver pig for the farmer, but frowned at the hand - three of a kind and a couple of kickers: not bad, and in the normal run of things a probable win. On the other hand, there were a lot of other combinations that could beat it. While Potee rubbed her pig, she frowned at Fortner. Boy, she wouldn't play snap for matchsticks with feller whose moustache was that thin. Mr Potee must be a stupid as he looked.  The whole thing was making the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end.

Fortner did not register any emotions as he arranged his cards in his hands.  He had three Aces, a Seven of hearts, ... and a Jack of diamonds, just like he knew there would be.

"How's that coffee coming?" he shouted to Caroline.

Yeah, where was Caroline? Even she couldn't take this long to pour a simple cup of coffee and pour a glug of licker into it.

"Bet?" he asked Potee.

Fortner was so bland, so smooth; Arabella, without even thinking about it, gave a warning squeeze to Potee's shoulder, then, more decisively yelped "Let me give you a kiss fer luck!" and bent down to give him a smacker on his stubbly cheek. 

I think you should fold she hissed in his ear.

@Wayfarer @Preston (+ @JulieS ?)

Caroline had entered the kitchen, the place that Mammy normally ruled with an iron hand, she did not like people poking about her kitchen. Caroline got it, anymore than she would like someone other than her performing on stage.  Everyone had their place in the saloon. There was the pot of coffee kept warm on the stove. Well, that wasn't going to work though, that coffee would be way too hot for what she wanted it for. So she reached for a cup and then went over by the water barrel they had in the corner of the room. Using the dipper she scooped a bit of water and put it into the cup. Then went over to the coffee pot, using a thick towel to pick it up and pour just some of it into the cup right into the water. That should help some.

"How's that coffee coming?" came the loud voice of Fortner, her boss.  Jeez, already? She had half a mind to yell back, that if he wasn't satisfied with her doing it, he could come in and pour the damn thing himself. But Fortner was the boss.

She blew into it now too then waved her hand over it back and forth.  Then with a sigh she headed back out and paused in the back of the bar to reach for a liquor bottle. Ralph noticed her of course and sidled over.

"What the hell is up?" he whispered.

"Nothin' good, hon, nothin' good and somehow I got roped inta it," it was plain she was not happy.

Ralph didn't press it.

She then poured about a shot ful of her own fake whiskey (it was colored water), no sense wasting good stuff for a drink that was not even gonna be drank or drunk or however one said it.

Well, it would have to do, the veteran saloon girl then headed for the card table.

"Alrighty, here's the coffee, Mr. Potee, and bucked up with whiskey just like you requested."

She glanced at Fortner, not quite sure when she was even supposed to spill it?

• Love 1

Posted (edited)

Things were moving smoothly along.  The cagey Fortner had the mark right where he wanted him.

One irritant was Arabella who'd somehow allied herself with the sob buster.  This was quite apparent when, after he asked if her if he could touch her lucky piece again, and she answered him, ""Let me give you a kiss fer luck!"  Fortner couldn't think of anything more distasteful for the girl to do.

Potee, on the other hand, relished in the touch of her soft lips.  Maude never felt like THIS! he thought.

But when she hissed into his ear, "I think you should fold", he bristled.

"Are you confounded crazy!  Fold?!  You better leave the card playin' to the men, lil' girl."  It was patently patronizing.  "Go on!" he continued.  "Go do yer chores or play the pie-ano.  Git!"

The man was doing Fortner's work, and it pleased the saloon owner.  "He's right," he said to Arabella.  "I'm sure there's some things you have to do.  Or, tell you what.  Why don't you play some music for us?"   All this was said kindly.

Then, as if on cue, Caroline came along with the coffee. 

"Just set it down, please.  I'll let you know when you can clear it."  This last was emphasized and followed by a discreet wink of his left eye.

"Bets?" Fortner asked again.

Potee grandly pushed a stack of coins and bills to where the ante lay.  "That's about a hundred greenbacks!" he slurred.   After all, he had three Jacks.  The outlook was good.  At the very least he had three-of-a-kind and possibly either four-of-a-kind or a full-house. 

"I'll see that, and raise you $50," countered Frank Fortner.

This started a volley of betting that only ended when Potee had bet almost his entire bank.

"Cards?" asked Fortner.

"Two," the sod buster answered, tossing down his two discards.

"Horace Potee gets two cards,"  Fortner called out like a croupier.  Then, with the skill of a magician, he took a card from the deck and palmed the Jack from his hand and sent the two in Potee's direction.

The sod buster gasped when he saw that he saw that he had the final Jack.  What he didn't know was that Fortner still had his original three Aces. 

"Bet?" he asked Potee.

Potee made a big show of shoving his remaining bank to join the sizeable pot.  "Pop goes the Weasel!" he cried.

"I'll see you and raise you $100,"  Fortner announced. 

Potee was out of money and told Fortner so.

"What do you mean?" Fortner scolded.  "When you come to a table you bring your money!"

This change of tone flustered Potee.  He was about to lose his new friends because he was coming off like a small fry.

"Haven't you got anything you can bet?"  Fortner pressed.

Horace looked down at the four, gleaming Jacks.  "I got my homestead," he answered even though he felt a stab of pain.  "It's worth at least $100."  He reached into his coat pocket and took out his deed.  He'd had it in his pocket because he'd come to town not only try his luck at the card table, but to also see if he could use it as collateral at the Bank.

"I call," he said as a challenge.

Now was the time.

"Caroline," Fortner called as he studied his hand.  "Will you please clear this stuff," he pointed at he coffee mugs.  "We need more room."

Edited by Preston (see edit history)
  • Wow! 1

Arabella neither went back to her chores nor played the piano as Potee had so short-temperedly commanded her, she just stood back from the game and continued watching, still highly suspicious of the way Fortner and her own friend Caroline were acting. 

Sure, Mr Potee's words to her had hardly commended him to her feelings, but after six months working in the saloon, she had become somewhat inured to the way men spoke in their cups. In many ways it was refreshing and illuminating to hear what was really going on in the male mind: for excessive alcohol had the tendency to make them speak it. 

Years, decades, later, someone asked her how she knew so much about men, and the way men's tiny minds worked, when she clearly had never been that intimate with any of the species, she had replied "Seeing a bunch of them get drunk every night'll tell you all you ever need to know about fellers."

Anyhow: what was about to transpire was to tell her all she ever needed to know bout one particular man, and affect the whole course of her future.

@Preston @Wayfarer

Posted (edited)

The lanky rancher stood close beside the young girl he knew as Arabella.  When she smooched the sod buster he almost wondered out loud,  What did she see in him?  Takes all kinds, I guess.

It was Micah McGregor on his bi-weekly trip to town.  He always stopped at the hardware, the Grain & Feed, and always the Star Dust if only to whet his whistle.  He was about to go up to the bar and order another whisky when the little gal who played the piano and sang, caught his attention.

"Hey little Miss!" he said.  "I wonder if I could be asking you something?"

Micah.jpg.2b796318705574a0fc247d8725b83f25.jpg

Edited by Preston (see edit history)
  • Wow! 1

The fool drunkard couldn't see what was going on, how he was being set up for a big fall. He was going to gamble away not just his money now but also the deed to his farm. Caroline just stood there watching it all go down, not liking any of this but not about to risk her livelihood for the sake of this idiot. She worried too that foolish Arabella might take a step too far and truly anger their boss. But the time for thoughts was suddenly over. She was being summoned to play her part in this.

"Caroline," Fortner called as he studied his hand.

"Yeah?" she answered.

"Will you please clear this stuff," he pointed at he coffee mugs.  "We need more room."

"Sure thing, boss,"Caroline moved up to the card table, she was standing immediately to the left of Potee but above his left shoulder for he was sitting there studying his hand. Her hand reached for Potee's coffee cup, started to raise it up off the table.

That's when she launched into her 'clumsy' act, pretending to stumble then conveniently letting go of the cup handle so the coffee splashed down on the edge of the table by Potee's lap and  a good portion of the at best lukewarm liquid landed down in the farmer's lap.

"Oh dammit, so sorry! It slipped..." Caroline cried out in her most convincing performance voice and face.

• Made Me Laugh! 1

Posted (edited)

Arabella was watching the game intently when old Mr McGregor started talking to her.

"Hey little Miss!" he said.  "I wonder if I could be asking you something?"

"Oh, Howdy, Mr McGregor." she piped up, not taking her eye off Potee and his rival or the suspicious looking Caroline. She knew that girl intimately, and she... well, she just wan't acting right, somehow. On the other hand, Arabella still had to keep the customers happy, and she carried on talking to the old feller as she watched. 

"Sure, I'll come over in a second and you can ask me anything you like." she offered: he always seemed to enjoy chatting with the lively girl. He sure did ask some funny questions but he always gave her a big tip. 

"I'm just watching this here poker game first. There's something funny about it, I tried to warn Mr Potee but... ooooh! There it goes!!" she exclaimed excitedly as Caroline dumped a mugful of coffee into Horace's lap. She grabbed onto Mr McGregor's arm in excitement, then jabbed her finger in his tummy as she looked up at him and said "I told you they was up to sumthin!"

@Preston 

Posted (edited)

ooc:  Jugful of coffee?   It's one cup.

ooc: jugful replaced with mugful and toned down Arabella's relationship with Mr McGregor!

"Will you please clear this stuff," he pointed at the coffee mugs.  "We need more room."

"Sure thing, boss,"Caroline moved up to the card table, she was standing immediately to the left of Potee but above his left shoulder for he was sitting there studying his hand. Her hand reached for Potee's coffee cup, started to raise it up off the table.

That's when she launched into her 'clumsy' act, pretending to stumble then conveniently letting go of the cup handle so the coffee splashed down on the edge of the table by Potee's lap and  a good portion of the at best lukewarm liquid landed down in the farmer's lap.

"Oh dammit, so sorry! It slipped..." Caroline cried out in her most convincing performance voice and face.

The card table immediately descended into chaos.  Potee jumped up and his knees hit the table top causing coins to slide and other cups to tip over.  Hiram Priest could be heard shouting.  "Oh fer Christ's sake!"  Fortner lunged across the table in Potee's direction in order to keep the table steady.

"Ya fool!" yelled Potee at Caroline.  His back now to the table.  "Look what you done!"

"Lay off of her!" Fortner warned him.  "It was just an accident." 

McGregor, who'd been talking to Arabella, knew something was afoot.  He'd been around saloons and card games for many years.  He was a bit too big and too rugged to ever have been cheated, but he knew a swindle when he saw one.  Then there was Arabella whose voice, ever musical to his ear, even when in distressed chimed in, " "I told you they was up to sumthin!"  To this, McGregor each over and yanked her to the side.

"Don't say nuthin," he whispered in her ear.  "Leave it alone."

So, after Potee brushed off the front of his pants, and Fortner straightened his suit front, the both sat back down.

"There's the pot." he said,  pointing to the impressive pile of money with the deed atop it.  "You saw my bet, and I now call."

Potee was anxious to win his money and skedaddle. "What ya got?" He asked in an unfriendly tone.

Fortner took his hand and laid his hand face-up on the table.  By now, a small crowd had gathered.   He held three Aces, a ten and an eight.

"Three of a kind -- Aces" he said.

Potee grinned as he turned over his cards without looking at them.  "Four Jacks!" he said triumphantly. 

There was a buzz around the table, and Fortner asked him, "Where?"

The drunken sod buster's mouth fell open.  "What a minute!" he began angrily.  "Wait just a goddamn minute!  I had a jack in the hole!"   But he was wrong, in front of him was a deuce,  three Jacks, and nestled among them was a King.

The true viciousness of Franklin Fortner was then unmasked.  "Aces beat Jacks.  You lost, Potee!  You are so fucking drunk you don't know a Jack from a King.  So if you know what's good for you, you'll fucking apologize to me and the lady," he pointed to Caroline, "and then you'll back out of here.  Got that?"

"You guys are card cheats!  Nothing but card cheats!"    Potee was shouting now.

"Watch your mouth," Fortner warned him.

"You was drunk, mister!" a patron could be heard saying.  Another voice said, "Yeah. He's right mister.  We could tell you was drunk all the way across the room."

Potee knew he was outnumbered.  He looked at a sea of unsympathetic faces,  the card table, Caroline whom he mistakenly thought as a friend, and Fortner, his steal gray eyes, hard and cold.  His voice was shaking.  "I'll be back!  I'll be back!" he kept repeating.   He brusquely pushed past Arabella and headed for the exit.  The crowd gave him a lot of leeway as he stomped out.

Hiram Priest who, by then, was standing beside Fortner, said, "He's going to be trouble."

• Wow! 1
  • Made Me Cry! 1